XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Visor Mirror Repair (Video) FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 11:26 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

One thing to remember if you haven't done this yet is to absolutly remove the visor from the car. In the video, the two little clips are pulled out of the visor from under the mirrow assembly. Removing the mirror while the visor is still attached to the car allows the clips to fall out onto the floor. The clips are black and my carpet is black- the clips disappeared completely. I searched with a flashlight, until I convenced myself that they weren't there to start with, I put it back together and said Il'l try it again later. So while driving to the movies my wife, not wearing shoes, found the clips.

Old 09-08-2010, 01:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,261 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by rweber
One thing to remember if you haven't done this yet is to absolutly remove the visor from the car. In the video, the two little clips are pulled out of the visor from under the mirrow assembly. Removing the mirror while the visor is still attached to the car allows the clips to fall out onto the floor. The clips are black and my carpet is black- the clips disappeared completely. I searched with a flashlight, until I convenced myself that they weren't there to start with, I put it back together and said Il'l try it again later. So while driving to the movies my wife, not wearing shoes, found the clips.

LOL! Good point! It only takes a few seconds to remove the mirror from the car. It's just two phillips head screws.

Also, the correct glue is important. That five minute epoxy stuff that I used was ideal because it remains slightly flexible after it hardens. A lot of other glues are going to get brittle, and since the glue is holding a spring, the glue will crack and the spring will fall back out.

Old 11-04-2010, 02:53 PM
Veteran Member

I just discovered another video on youtube that's sorta like a follow-up to my video. Someone had a broken hinge pin on their mirror cover and they repaired it with a nail. I added their video to the my original post in this thread so that both videos are right there together.

Old 11-09-2010, 11:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts
Default I lost the metal clips! (Re: Visor Mirror Repair)

I lost the metal clips that hold the visor flaps in place. Where can I buy them??? I am in Los Angeles.

HELP!!

Old 11-10-2010, 12:29 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
I just discovered another video on youtube that's sorta like a follow-up to my video. Someone had a broken hinge pin on their mirror cover and they repaired it with a nail. I added their video to the my original post in this thread so that both videos are right there together.
I just joined today and I see that, thanks Sam. P.s. that little nail is still working great

Old 11-10-2010, 04:26 AM
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I am 6'2" and after almost running a freeway exit stop light I decide to just reove my driver side visor. This adds quite a bit of added vision to things above the car. I also removed the center rear view mirror for the same reason. I ride motorcycles a lot so I'm use to just using the wing mirrors.
But thanks again Sam for a great video.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:48 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have not done this yet but need to....one question, does the short end of the clip go towards the outside of the visor??? Maybe it only goes in one way??

Old 05-16-2011, 08:34 AM
Veteran Member

One side has a small barb in it. The barb is to hold it in the slot and the barb is supposed to point toward the flat side of the slot that doesn't move, not the hinge on the flap.

Old 05-18-2011, 08:56 PM

ok barbed side AWAY from hinge
U goes in slot with the 2 prongs UP right?

Old 05-18-2011, 09:47 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,212 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Originally Posted by deadboy1977
ok barbed side AWAY from hinge
U goes in slot with the 2 prongs UP right?
This might help http://jagrepair.com/MirrorRepairSunvisor1999xk8.htm

Last edited by Norri; 04-01-2016 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Updated link
The following users liked this post:
deadboy1977 (05-19-2011)
Old 05-19-2011, 10:30 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by guzzi svt
I am 6'2" and after almost running a freeway exit stop light I decide to just reove my driver side visor. This adds quite a bit of added vision to things above the car.
Whoa, it does! Thanks for the tip. But now there's a big hole where the visor screwed in...

I love this forum.

Old 06-25-2011, 04:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any idea what number that fuse is

that goes to the visor light

Old 06-25-2011, 04:33 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,212 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Not knowing what year car or the side I would check the fusebox on the left or right side door.

The following users liked this post:
jjrglobal (06-25-2011)
Old 06-25-2011, 05:46 PM
Default It says in the owners manual

stoneworker lights??? Any idea what a stoneworker light is?? Also, do you know if the visor lights will come on without the key in the ignition? I'm trying to hard wire my radar detector and since I destroyed the clips in my visor mirror and had it unplugged I figured I would put that circuit to use. Thanks Gus for all your help

Old 06-25-2011, 05:49 PM
Default OHH Duh

Its a 2002 XKR Coupe, I cant find it anywhere in the owners manual

Old 06-26-2011, 05:47 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Sam,
Great instructions as always. Just took care of mine. Anyone knows what powers up the lights? I see two wires going into a visor but they are not connected to anything inside the car, I was expecting a connector when I was removing a visor. Both of my lights are dead.

Last edited by reko19; 06-26-2011 at 05:49 PM.
Old 10-16-2011, 01:10 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks again Sam, for the video. I didn't have any epoxy on hand, so I used some of my wife's clear nail hardener for adhesive. The stuff is as thick as molasses, so we will see how it holds up.

Old 10-16-2011, 01:22 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by reko19
Sam,
Great instructions as always. Just took care of mine. Anyone knows what powers up the lights? I see two wires going into a visor but they are not connected to anything inside the car, I was expecting a connector when I was removing a visor. Both of my lights are dead.
Sorry Reko, I just noticed your post. I know this is four months late, but if you'll look at the clip that holds the inner part of the visor in place you'll see two little springs. Those springs are the metal contacts that provide power to the lights. In other words, the lights will only work if the visor is snapped in place. If you have it rotated to the side to block the sun from the side of the car it won't light up.

Originally Posted by drk1074
Thanks again Sam, for the video. I didn't have any epoxy on hand, so I used some of my wife's clear nail hardener for adhesive. The stuff is as thick as molasses, so we will see how it holds up.
That might work, but I bet it will end up being too brittle and it won't bond to the plastic. You never know, though. Let us know if it holds up.

Old 04-19-2012, 04:47 AM
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default XK8 Drooping Sun Visor Mirror

My XK8 had exactly the same problem with the passenger sun visor mirror not staying up. After taking courage from seeing the Reverend Sam video I opened up my visor mirror and found clips lying inside as per the video. So was quickly able to make a fix - to my wife's delight. Thanks.

Old 07-25-2013, 03:15 PM

I don't have a problem with the mirror, that's just fine. My problem is the entire visor came off on the part that is screwed into the car, I detached the visor entirely now. I see a large center hole and two small holes on each side of it where the screws should screw in. Will this be a problem to tightly screw it back up in the same holes again and will it hold tightly? Before it came off entirely it was flopping down a bit, didn't snap up tightly as the other side.

Last edited by Joanie; 07-25-2013 at 03:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Visor Mirror Repair (Video) FAQ