XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Voltage Reduction Kit to Reduce Hydraulic Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 02:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Sam, thank you very much. Installed on my XKR the other night, works like a charm.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,261 Likes on 565 Posts

Dennis07 gets credit for doing the all of the complicated calculus to determine the correct resistance for the resistor, and reko19 gets the credit for figuring out the part numbers for the connectors and pins. I just did the soldering.

Old 05-14-2011, 09:39 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Thanks Rev...

Installed mine last night.... took all of 2 min. Works fine.... thanks .

Old 05-14-2011, 10:34 PM
Veteran Member

That's good to hear! I'm all out, by the way. If anyone else wants one, just post in this thread or PM me. Once 3 or 4 people commit to buying them I'll make another 10. Sorry, but the price is going to have to go up to $30 including shipping. They were taking too much time to make, and I wasn't really making any money on them.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I'll take one

Rev - please put me on your list. You can contact me @
iswan@verizon.net for details...

Old 05-16-2011, 01:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please e-mail me info on kit, forum won't allow me to PM
jmillerga@comcast.net

Old 05-16-2011, 02:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

I want one!!!

Old 05-16-2011, 02:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

I assume that with this connected I can put the top up and down with the car running and it will still do what it is supposed to do. Since having read it hear we put the top up and down with the car off. I just hate doing that to the battery.

So I want one, put me on your list. I will PM you.

Old 05-16-2011, 03:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by brgjag
I assume that with this connected I can put the top up and down with the car running and it will still do what it is supposed to do. Since having read it hear we put the top up and down with the car off. I just hate doing that to the battery.
Tim,

The "stock" feature of raising/lowering the top by putting the ignition key in the door lock runs off the battery in exactly the same way. The drain on the battery is really minimal.

You're doing the right thing running engine-off now. If that still works OK after installing the resistor, stay with it. The installation/testing notes Sam sends with the kit cover this. You can also get the notes here ... www.scorekeeper.com/jaguar/jaguar01.htm

Last edited by Dennis07; 05-16-2011 at 03:14 PM. Reason: added link
Old 05-16-2011, 03:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,111 Likes on 932 Posts

I believe that Dennis07 eloquently and correctly compared the drain on the battery operating the top engine-off to the drain on the battery by unlocking the doors and illuminating the headlights with the key fob for the 30 seconds or so that they are programmed to remain on. Really a non issue.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Put me on the waiting list, please.

Having just made a 'long term investment' in my 2001 XKR (complete front suspension refurb), I guess I'm in for the long haul. So, it's time to invest a little more to avoid the green shower of death...

I'm in for $30, when you get to the next batch.

Dave in Atlanta

P.S. I can't PM because I have no privileges on this board, despite being a member for years. Can't see pics, either. I've emailed a couple times to admins asking for some help or explanation, but never got a response. Makes me grumpy---can you tell?

Anyway, there's too much good info to be had here to stay grumpy for long. Thanks to Dennis and RevSam for a great simple fix!

Old 05-17-2011, 08:42 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave in Atlanta
Having just made a 'long term investment' in my 2001 XKR (complete front suspension refurb), I guess I'm in for the long haul. So, it's time to invest a little more to avoid the green shower of death...

I'm in for $30, when you get to the next batch.

Dave in Atlanta

P.S. I can't PM because I have no privileges on this board, despite being a member for years. Can't see pics, either. I've emailed a couple times to admins asking for some help or explanation, but never got a response. Makes me grumpy---can you tell?

Anyway, there's too much good info to be had here to stay grumpy for long. Thanks to Dennis and RevSam for a great simple fix!
Go to the New Member Area – Intro a Must and do an intro and see what happens.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:05 AM
Veteran Member

OK... I guess enough people still want these. I'll order more parts.

Old 05-17-2011, 11:07 AM
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

So just to clarify,With the resistor, I can open and close my top with the ignition on or off with no issue? Is that correct?

Old 05-17-2011, 11:14 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bassmania
So just to clarify,With the resistor, I can open and close my top with the ignition on or off with no issue? Is that correct?
Here's the story, clipped from the installation/testing notes:

Test the operation of the convertible top with the car's engine off. It is normal for raising or lowering the top to take 3 to 5 seconds longer, and for latch closure to take 1 or 2 seconds longer, than before installing the resistor.

Do not hold down the "raise/lower top" rocker switch for more than about 5 seconds at latch-closure time if the latch does not close, confirmed by the "chime" tone.

If the latch does not close, try a second test with the car’s engine on. Use engine-on for testing, and for day-to-day operation, only if engine-off does not work properly. (Operating the top engine-on produces about 150 PSI more hydraulic pressure, which is not needed if engine-off works properly.)

Bottom line is: if it works engine-off, better to run it that way; less peak pressure is a good thing.

Old 05-17-2011, 12:11 PM
Veteran Member

I've had numerous people email me after they installed their resistor, and no one has had a problem with the top not latching with the engine off. On one occasion my top didn't latch, but I just pressed the button again and it finished the cycle and latched.

Old 05-17-2011, 01:12 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
I've had numerous people email me after they installed their resistor, and no one has had a problem with the top not latching with the engine off. On one occasion my top didn't latch, but I just pressed the button again and it finished the cycle and latched.
Great. That's a bit of a load off my mind. Early on, Test_point had an engine-off problem, but pretty sure it was a cold solder joint. HLGeorge saw something too, I think; not sure how that one came out. One or two others maybe.

Anyway, I wasn't sure if we'd see many systems that needed engine-on, but it looks like very few. This is especially good news if people want to use this in combination with WhiteXKR's remote top operation, which of course runs engine-off.

Old 05-17-2011, 04:03 PM
Veteran Member

LOL... speak of the devil. I went out to the garage to go for a drive earlier. The top was down, but it was chilly out so I put it up. I was in the garage, so it was relatively dark and the headlights came on (high beams). The A/C fan was also on full speed and the radio was on. The top went up fine, but the latch didn't quite close. I got the "top not latched" error on the dash. I just pressed the close button again and it finished the cycle and latched. That's only the second time it has happened to me, and I'm sure it's because so many of the electrics were on. And like I said, it just took another press of the button to get it to latch and roll up the windows.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:43 PM
Received 52 Likes on 24 Posts

I would like one of your kits, my email address is david@davidpackwood.com
Just let me know when you have one available.

many thanks, David

Old 05-18-2011, 04:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sam

Just installed your resistor kit and it fits and works perfectly. Thanks for providing these and for your informational videos.

Quick Reply: Voltage Reduction Kit to Reduce Hydraulic Pressure