XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Voltage Reduction Kit to Reduce Hydraulic Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 10:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by porkenstein
... Looks like eBay is the only place I can find them and they come from China. ... Anyone know a better place in the US to get the resistor can you please post. Thanks in advance.
Some guys have gotten resistors from China (through EBay and otherwise) and these seem to be OK. Two past domestic sources are Newark.com and Mouser.com ... BUT ... a quick look at these this AM did not show any suitable components in stock.

BTW, instructions to assemble, install and test your own system are on pages 3 and 4 of the System Description paper at www.scorekeeper.com/jaguar/jaguar01.htm ... you don't need to plow through the first two pages of the paper.

Also, an alternate (better, IMO) choice of connectors was posted by Reko. These are the connectors used in Sam's kits, I think. These links lifted from Reko's post ...

180908 Tyco Electronics / AMP Headers & Wire Housings

60249-2 Tyco Electronics / AMP Terminals

42565-2 Tyco Electronics / AMP Terminals

180907 Tyco Electronics / AMP Headers & Wire Housings

Last edited by Dennis07; 06-17-2011 at 10:27 AM.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:51 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just ordered the resistor off eBay and the connectors from Tyco. Will make it myself. Looks pretty simple. I need to get more hands on for sure as my money supply is probably more limited than most who own a Jag.

Old 07-19-2011, 05:25 PM
Veteran Member
Default Buy resistors in quantity? Show of hands please ...

It looks as though Sam may be tied up and unable to produce his plug-and-play Voltage Reduction kits for a while (I don't mean to speak for him), which leads me to ...

A number of guys here have assembled their own systems, and this is not hard to do if you are OK with soldering or crimping connectors. (Parts list and instructions are found on pages 3 and 4 of the "System Description" at www.scorekeeper.com/jaguar/jaguar01.htm )

One problem: people sometimes have trouble locating a source for the required 0.2 ohm, 100 watt resistor. So, if there is interest, I will locate a source and buy some quantity of these to keep on hand, and then pass them on (at cost, ~ $11.00) to guys who want to assemble their own systems.

Other components needed (wire, connectors, mounting tape) are readily available at Radio Shack or similar stores.

I'm not sure how many guys might have an interest, so if you think you might want to buy a resistor this way, please post here or send me a PM.

How's that sound?

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (07-19-2011)
Old 07-19-2011, 05:38 PM

I am not that handy and I did mine myself so anyone can do it. Crazy not to do it.

Old 07-19-2011, 06:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  19.3 KB

Originally Posted by Dennis07
It looks as though Sam may be tied up and unable to produce his plug-and-play Voltage Reduction kits for a while (I don't mean to speak for him), which leads me to ...

A number of guys here have assembled their own systems, and this is not hard to do if you are OK with soldering or crimping connectors. (Parts list and instructions are found on pages 3 and 4 of the "System Description" at www.scorekeeper.com/jaguar/jaguar01.htm )

One problem: people sometimes have trouble locating a source for the required 0.2 ohm, 100 watt resistor. So, if there is interest, I will locate a source and buy some quantity of these to keep on hand, and then pass them on (at cost, ~ $11.00) to guys who want to assemble their own systems.

Other components needed (wire, connectors, mounting tape) are readily available at Radio Shack or similar stores.

I'm not sure how many guys might have an interest, so if you think you might want to buy a resistor this way, please post here or send me a PM.

How's that sound?
Kudos to you for stepping in Dennis. I'm sure its appreciated by all

Old 07-21-2011, 12:31 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

My brother-in-law works at Allied Electronics (Mouser competitor), if you know the parts numbers, I can get smaller quantities. PM me if you need a little assist.

Old 07-21-2011, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by h20boy
My brother-in-law works at Allied Electronics (Mouser competitor), if you know the parts numbers, I can get smaller quantities. PM me if you need a little assist.
They didn't have the resistor when I checked but that's where I got the plugs so it could be a clean installation.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:43 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by h20boy
Thanks, Matt

I'll try for a part number or at very least a spec'
Maybe in enough quantity they might be willing to order from a manufacturer(?)

Looking like quantity 10 to start.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:06 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

contact made, PM sent over with the info you requested.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:54 AM
Veteran Member
Default The great American resistor search

I thought this would be easy.

Worked through this list ...
Resistor Manufacturers
looking for a domestic supplier but, while severaral make suitable resistors, none is price-competitive with China; in fact, none is within a factor of three. I'm still waiting for two quotes, but not optimistic.

If the situation holds, I plan to buy a batch from a China-based EBay supplier. All indications are that these resistors are OK, quality wise. But this will mean availability is probably weeks, not days. So ... if anyone who has indicated interest, wants to drop out, please send me a PM to that effect.

The good news is that w're probably going to come in well under $10 each.

More when I know it ...

Old 08-01-2011, 07:48 AM
Veteran Member
Default Batch of Resistors Ordered

I wish it were otherwise, but had to go with a Hong Kong supplier. Delivery will probably be a couple of weeks. The good news is that price per unit is now down to $9.00, including shipping to you. Paypal or a check will be fine with me.

I ordered more than what guys have signed up for, so please send a PM if you want one. I'll post here again when they arrive.

Building your own Voltage Reduction kit:

I can't offer assembled plug-and-play kits as Sam did, but if you're OK with soldering or crimping connectors, here's a reminder of everything you need:

- a resistor of course; 0.2 ohm, 100 watt.

- all other components needed found at Radio Shack or auto supply stores.

- instructions to assemble, install and test your own system are on pages 3 and 4 of the System Description paper at www.scorekeeper.com/jaguar/jaguar01.htm

- If you prefer to use the style of connector Sam was using (better, IMO) these are the ones to order, as originally posted by Reko.
180908 Tyco Electronics / AMP Headers & Wire Housings
60249-2 Tyco Electronics / AMP Terminals
42565-2 Tyco Electronics / AMP Terminals
180907 Tyco Electronics / AMP Headers & Wire Housings

That's the whole enchilada!

Old 08-11-2011, 09:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top Resistor

Reverand Sam,
I'd like to buy your convertible top resistor, but am new to site and don't have pm rights. I do have a PayPal account. If you will send me the appropriate information, I would be greatful.

Oxford

Old 08-16-2011, 11:24 AM
Veteran Member
Default Resistors - R - Us

The Hong Kong connection has come through; the resistors are in.

I'll try to PM or email everyone who is on the list, but if you see this post you could save me a little work if you would just go ahead and PM or email me with ...

Name
Mailing Address
email address (makes ongoing comunication much easier)

I'll be asking for $9.00 each, by check or PayPal or whatever works for you.

Have extras, so even if you did not earlier request one, just go ahead and PM me as if you had.

The following users liked this post:
vettegood (08-17-2011)
Old 08-16-2011, 03:40 PM
Received 199 Likes on 106 Posts

Hello, I am trying to contact you and cannot find a way. I would like some info about the conv. top hydraulic reducer. How much pressure does it reduce, does it slow down the up and down action of the top? Is there a place that has the info? Also would like to buy one, my name is Mitchell I have a 2001 XKR. My email is vettegood@aol.com, please email with info, thanks a lot.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:09 PM

hello, how do I get ahold of you to buy one of these? vettegood@aol.com is my email. thanks

Old 08-16-2011, 08:15 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by vettegood
hello, how do I get ahold of you to buy one of these? vettegood@aol.com is my email. thanks
Mitchell,

Standy by please. Will send email with explanations as soon as I can.

Old 08-17-2011, 07:33 PM
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

REVERNED SAM IM NEW TO FORUM AND WOULD LIKR TO BUY YOUR KIT. DONT YET KNOW HOW TO CONTACT YOU,SO COULD YOU EMAIL ME AT mikeghuff@hotmail.com THANK YOU

Old 08-18-2011, 10:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rev, I got mine a few months back. It worked exactly as promised and expected.
Considering I still have the hydraulic pressure reduction kit from another purveyor...I'll try to sell it on eBay. Explanation, I no longer need this as I have a less expensive, less time consuming, no moving parts or fittings solution which was 1/4 the price.
I'm a believer!

Old 08-18-2011, 01:15 PM

Hello, does anyone no where to purchase the original style Jaguar clips(white plastic that clip together) and the terminals to fit inside the connector for 14 gauge wire. I tried mouser electronics and they had some pieces but not all and required a purchase minimum of 18000. also anyone know the actual gauge of wire used by Jaguar and whether it is solid copper core or multi strand wire? thanks vettegood@aol.com

Last edited by vettegood; 08-18-2011 at 07:26 PM. Reason: change verbiage and lengthen question

Quick Reply: Voltage Reduction Kit to Reduce Hydraulic Pressure