XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Warranty History

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 09:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warranty History

Hi, this is Martin in Ohio. Have two XK8's, both 2000 models. The convertible in Seafoam had 36,000 miles. The coupe in Phoenix Red has 42,000 miles. I am the second owner for each car. The convertible was purchased new at Jaguar in Scottsdale, AZ. The coupe originally purchased at Bachman Jaguar in LA, CA. I have contacted both dealerships for warranty history and been informed that they don't keep data for cars this old.

My concern is whether work was done to replace the timing chain guides. Each vehicle ran out of warranty coverage long before running out of warranty end dates. Is there a "Jaguar Central" were I can get warranty data to see if the timing chain guides were replaced under warranty. Too much money is involved in driving at risk, or performing an unnecessary replacement.

Please advise and much appreciated.

Best Regards,

Martin

Old 02-05-2017, 09:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,952 Likes on 7,196 Posts

Dealers have access ....or at least they used to....to the corporate warranty history data base. It might well be true that Jaguar purges that data, or relocates it, after xxx-number of years.

We have some Jag dealer employees on this forum. Hopefully they'll chime in.

Calling Jaguar customer assistance might yield some answers?

Cheers
DD

Old 02-05-2017, 09:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 417 Likes on 308 Posts

I don't believe Jaguar replaced timing chain tensioners under warranty. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I believe some of the nikasil engines were replaced under warranty, but only if they failed. Your best bet is to pull the easiest cam cover and take a look. If you never got any records of it being done, it probably wasn't.

Old 02-05-2017, 10:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,390 Likes on 2,866 Posts

I have found that some Jaguar dealership service managers will work harder than others to obtain the warranty information you are searching for. Try a local dealership and ask for the service manager, not a service advisor (who sometimes get paid on commission for service up-sells to unsuspecting customers and therefore do not want to "waste their valuable time" by chasing down warranty information for you). If you still cannot get the answers you seek, ask for the general manager and put some pressure on him/her to assist you....

You can also try JaguarUSA corporate headquarters in New Jersey, phone 800-452-4827. I have recently found them to be not nearly as helpful as they were 5 or 6 years ago. Perhaps they no longer have the manpower or resources to provide the level of customer assistance we all prefer when we have an issue that needs to be resolved. They are certainly more attuned to the Tata-era vehicles rather than our pre-Tata ones....

The following users liked this post:
Doug (02-05-2017)
Old 02-05-2017, 10:38 AM
Received 406 Likes on 285 Posts

Out of curiosity and for completeness I pulled a Carfax report on my 2001 xk8. It listed full dealer service history including warranty replacements such as the throttle body and ABS unit.

Even if Jaguar corporate purges this data, Carfax seems to keep the data that the dealers fed into their systems.

It is an inexpensive report to obtain and might be nice to have a hard copy to preserve the car's records in case Carfax eventually purges the data.

Old 02-05-2017, 10:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,952 Likes on 7,196 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteHat
Out of curiosity and for completeness I pulled a Carfax report on my 2001 xk8. It listed full dealer service history including warranty replacements such as the throttle body and ABS unit.

Even if Jaguar corporate purges this data, Carfax seems to keep the data that the dealers fed into their systems.

It is an inexpensive report to obtain and might be nice to have a hard copy to preserve the car's records in case Carfax eventually purges the data.

Good alternative, although lack of info isn't conclusive as not all dealers participate in the Carfax system

Cheers
DD

Old 02-05-2017, 02:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,400 Likes on 1,556 Posts

Nice stable Martin.
One for the sun and one for the cool

Originally Posted by JimmyL
I don't believe Jaguar replaced timing chain tensioners under warranty. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Your best bet is to pull the easiest cam cover and take a look. If you never got any records of it being done, it probably wasn't.
+1

Confirm as JimmyL suggests: it's not a big job and you will sleep better

Good luck,
Mike

Last edited by michaelh; 02-05-2017 at 02:27 PM. Reason: remove duplication
Old 02-05-2017, 02:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 654 Posts

Martin,

By the 2000 Model, Jaguar was making the Engines with Sleeves...Only those with the first Models 1998 and the English 1997's had the Nikasil coated cylinders......They found that they would not stand up to the Gasoline mixtures as they have Sulfur in the mixture and Sulfur and Nikasil coating don't go well together........The Engine started burning a great deal of Oil. You don't need to worry about Nikasil! BMW had the same problem in the mid to late 2000's.....

The tensioners, you should worry about, as if they break you stand a big change of bending a valve or popping a piston! They used to be made of Plastic and you want the Metal ones .....How do you know it they have been installed? Best way is to take off a Valve-Cover.....and Look!

Billy Clyde

Old 02-05-2017, 06:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2005 X Type Estate Wagon

Thank you, gentlemen: I will follow up to find the warranty history on my cars. Here's another car for your enjoyment

Great advice.

Old 02-05-2017, 08:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,165 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by bcprice36
Martin,

By the 2000 Model, Jaguar was making the Engines with Sleeves...Only those with the first Models 1998 and the English 1997's had the Nikasil coated cylinders......They found that they would not stand up to the Gasoline mixtures as they have Sulfur in the mixture and Sulfur and Nikasil coating don't go well together........The Engine started burning a great deal of Oil. You don't need to worry about Nikasil! BMW had the same problem in the mid to late 2000's.....

The tensioners, you should worry about, as if they break you stand a big change of bending a valve or popping a piston! They used to be made of Plastic and you want the Metal ones .....How do you know it they have been installed? Best way is to take off a Valve-Cover.....and Look!

Billy Clyde
nikasil was still in play well into 2000 MY but if any car with nikasil is still operating the danger of failure has since passed and it is no longer an issue. Some actually consider it an advantage.