Weird brake noise...

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2020, 09:46 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Weird brake noise...

Hello friends,
how are you?
Should I worry about this?

I've attached a recording of a noise from my brand new front brake (new disc, new pad, new bolt). Every time you hear the noise that's when I hit and release the brake (in 1st gear). Now my shocks are shot and I'm changing them this week. In general, when I brake hard, the car has way too much forward rebound motion, so more than time to replace the set. (That's another story)
However I wonder, what's that noise I'm hearing every time I brake? Could it be because of the shocks being bad? I was at stop, lift my foot from the pedal brake up, car moves a few inches, then brake again, and again a few times so I could hear that noise. Check it up please let me know what do you think guys.
Thanks in advance

Attached Files
File Type: mp3
weird_frt_brk_noise.mp3 (319.6 KB, 64 views)
Old 04-27-2020, 11:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,419 Likes on 755 Posts
Default Suspect it’s a suspension problem

Alexander,

I appreciate that you may be disappointed in my suggestion, but as you’ve just done a suspension over haul, I suspect that “crunching noise” under braking means that your suspension is suspect.

The front of the car “diving” under braking is normal but something is “knocking” which could be the wheel arch on the tyre, bump stop on the shock or...... lots of suspects really!

One thing I do is open the car door and use it as a lever to rock the car. If someone else can do that, you can look and feel around to try and see where the problem is.

One quick question - what is the height between the car wheel centre and the top of the body’s wheel arch? Easy to check and you may have wrong spring/shock parts esp. as the coupe and convertible are different specs.

Old 04-28-2020, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by DavidYau
Alexander,

I appreciate that you may be disappointed in my suggestion, but as you’ve just done a suspension over haul, I suspect that “crunching noise” under braking means that your suspension is suspect.

The front of the car “diving” under braking is normal but something is “knocking” which could be the wheel arch on the tyre, bump stop on the shock or...... lots of suspects really!

One thing I do is open the car door and use it as a lever to rock the car. If someone else can do that, you can look and feel around to try and see where the problem is.

One quick question - what is the height between the car wheel centre and the top of the body’s wheel arch? Easy to check and you may have wrong spring/shock parts esp. as the coupe and convertible are different specs.
Oh, sorry for the confusion. I actually really appreciated your comments which are very true. I always over worry. Just to clarify, I'm doing the suspension overhaul this week, I haven't done it yet. The height is too low 13.5". That and many other reasons make it urgent to have everything replaced. Rebound, height, noises, mileage, brake motion, front bottom hitting the road. I got the parts already. I just need to have these assembled first.
But I'm reassured that you think it's the problem. That what I was hoping. The forward motion is very significant because of the shot suspension. But I wanted an opinion on whether that could make much noise. It's a pretty unique noise. As you suggest, something in the suspension is lose and might hit something around. I'll go ahead and change everything then will let you know. Might take some extra time as I need to get an alignment after that.
Thanks a lot.

Last edited by alexander thegreat; 04-28-2020 at 12:09 AM.
The following users liked this post:
DavidYau (04-28-2020)
Old 04-28-2020, 09:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 491 Likes on 375 Posts

Where is the recorder when u recorded the noise? What were the conditions? Sitting still? Moving? How fast?

definitely different

Old 04-29-2020, 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by Aarcuda
Where is the recorder when u recorded the noise? What were the conditions? Sitting still? Moving? How fast?

definitely different
I was sitting in the car with window down, recorder on my left hand out of the window. The car was at stop, lifted the foot off the brake pedal, left the car move a couple feet, then immediately braking, then again and again... etc the noise you hear is every time the car stops completely at 2mph, after moving 2 feet. The car was in 1st so I didn't need to accelerate to let it move. Every time I'd brake to a stop after a short 1~2 feet the clunk noise would pop. The reason I did that was to reproduce the sound I heard when I parked the car. Brakes are new, brake well. The suspension is shot and needs to be replaced in full this week. But the clunk seems to happen when the car stops fully then a different noise when brake pressure is lifted.

Hope that clarifies it.
Thanks

Last edited by alexander thegreat; 04-29-2020 at 01:50 AM.