XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

What cars can I "take" with a stock 4.0 XK8?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 02:26 PM
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by bigjohnsonjeeps
There is nothing wrong with my car. I know these cars well and it run's and drives great. Go find a 4.0 Jeep and give it a try. Maybe from a roll things would have been different.
Nah.... as a owner of a 4.0 jeep Cherokee and a 5.7 Hemi Jeep commander.. your XK8 should've beat either vehicle.

Enjoy your XK8 it's fast enough for most... if you want faster get a XKR.

Old 05-08-2014, 04:58 PM
Received 53 Likes on 20 Posts

A very interesting response from auburn2. The average age of a Jaguar owner is reputedly to be 50 (There are threads on this in this forum) The perception of a "grandad car" is interesting. I say that because I have always liked Jaguars and in particular the sport models like the XKE and the XK8. I have always loved these cars since my teen years(Come on how many teenagers craved the E type. even today!) and later the XK8. The ability to own one is different and I say that because of the cost of buying. The XKE was always out of my price range but very desirable. The XK8 was the same until a few years ago when they became affordable. I do believe that many people desire these beautiful cars at any drivers age, but factors like the drivers age, insurance cost and residual value may lend itself to being a car that maybe the more mature driver can afford to run and enjoy

Old 05-08-2014, 08:37 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I sold a 2007 Mustang Gt convertible when the opportunity for my 2002 XK8 came about. The XX8 felt sluggish to me, especially when trying to jump from 60-80 quickly on the expressway. The Mustang was tuned for a more "muscley" sound and look. It felt much faster as far an engine power and torque, but so much less confident in handling and just overall build that I wouldn't have wanted to push that out on the curves. I think part of it is simply adjusting to different accelerator feels. It seems to me that power is much more than jumping off the line and punching at a given speed. Agility and confidence bring speed as much as horsepower.
Having said that, at only a week into owning my Jag, I can't help but wonder how it is running compared to other XK8s.
I just love my new Jag. So great to feel integrated as part my automobile more than any other car I've owned.

Last edited by exkayate; 05-08-2014 at 08:39 PM.
Old 05-09-2014, 02:02 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

XK8's are heavy cars compared to most other sports cars. My 06 weighs 250 pounds more than my Lincoln Mark VIII. I was looking for a 06 XKR but found a low mileage (30K)
XK8 and have been very happy ever since. About a year after I bought it I found out it
is a Victory edition which is very rare and a pleasant surprise.

Old 05-09-2014, 02:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,878 Likes on 7,154 Posts

As dear old Dad used to say, "there's a time and a place for everything" . Some people never learn how true that is.

I both enjoyed and became annoyed reading this thread.

Of course we're all free to enjoy our Jags as we see fit. I must say, though, that I remain a bit disappointed that so many Jags are driven as though they were made out of glass.....putt-putting about, choking on everyone else's exhaust. I see it all the time. The last time I *actually saw* a Jag on the road being driven at more than 1/8th throttle was years ago.....an XK150 winding up thru-the-gears while entering the freeway. It was glorious.

This bit of "Driving a Jag is such an elegant experience, and the car is so graceful, and I just love all the admiring glances so much that I don't have to prove anything to anybody" seems the antithesis of what a Jaguar driving is about, IMHO. It doesn't matter that the [insert your model of Jag] isn't the most competitive in its class. 'Fast driving' and 'Jaguar' go together like a hand in a glove.

This isn't to say we should be drag racing every car that comes alongside nor driving like a madman with his hair on fire but, for the love of god, give 'er the boot from time to time. Jaguar gave you 300-400 horsepower with brakes and suspension to match. Use it, enjoy it.

OK, mini-rant rant over. To those who simply enjoy elegant looks and like being seen in a Jaguar, no offence intended....I'm merely trying to shame you into blowing the carbon out of your combustion chambers a few times each month and quit letting those snotty German cars drivers bully you around!

Cheers
DD

Old 05-09-2014, 07:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 558 Posts

Well said Doug, and just as soon as I can get those stupid drivers in front of me to move over, I'll punch it!

Don't drive crazy myself (despite what SWMBO may say), but I do enjoy feeling it pull me back into the seat or pull itself smartly around a curve once in a while.

And there's always those freeway ramps.

Old 05-10-2014, 07:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,364 Likes on 2,854 Posts

I agree as well, Doug. I rarely drive my wife's XK8 because I'm far too tall for it and very cramped in the cabin as a result. But when I do, I make certain to blow the carbon out as you suggested (much to the chagrin of my wife)....

Old 08-13-2014, 05:02 PM
Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

Somewhat old post but i read most of it so I thought I'd give some thoughts.
I have an 03 XK8 convertible. British racing green with cashmere interior. I'm in love. Loved the power. I'm an exdragracer so power is no stranger. The R has more power but you know what else it has? More gear. The XK8 3.06 gears are laughable. R has 3.31s. With an overdrive trans 3.55s/3.73s would make a fantastic improvement. I understand the 5 speeds can do this but the 6 speeds are screwed. It real does aggravate me.

Old 08-13-2014, 09:46 PM
Received 151 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by The Coupe
If you're talking beautiful lines and style (and I know you're not), your ride can "take" just about anything on the 10, the 405, and the 5.

It's better to be heartbreakingly beautiful and pretty fast, than forgettable and a little faster. In my opinion.

Old 08-14-2014, 12:11 AM
Received 140 Likes on 103 Posts

It's true that 300 horses are not really uncommon nowadays, so I pick my infrequent drag races carefully. Sometimes it's more a matter of quicker reflexes getting you off the line first, anyway. However, most other drivers will probably assume you can beat them because: a) it's a Jag and b) it looks like it's doing 60 standing still. Do you want to take the chance of proving them wrong? Just smile condescendingly and pull away smoothly.