XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

The "What did you work on today" thread.

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 07:28 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default The more I took off the more I found bad.

Recently purchased a 99 XK8 66K miles on the clock for a real deal. Well knowing there were visual issues with the front suspension and noise issues while driving, I knew right off the bat that upper shock mounts needed replacing. Removing the tires also showed that all the brake pads were getting too close to failing inspection for the winter months. I did not want to have to change pads in February. After removing the front shocks I figures while the upper control arm had to be removed I might as well replace those bushings. That was easy. The old ones looked ok. The old upper shock mounts looked like there was nothing left. One shock was found to be beyond it's life cycle, so I had to purchase a new set. The spring assisters were worn down to a flat washer, Purchased a new set of those too. Previous owner replaced the power steering hose which left quite a mess on the drivers side wheel well. Going to clean that mess up. I could not get my spring compressor to re install the unit with the new upper mounts, Took them to my mechanic and he had them on in 20 mins. It was worth the $40.00 to get both of them installed. Took them home and installed them on the car with no problem. I hope all the interior rattles, squeaks and chirps will stop after all these new parts are installed. I did notice that the brace bar that goes from the upper shock mount area goes into the fire wall so any noise get resinated into the dash area. Next up will be a wheel alignment.

Attached Thumbnails The "What did you work on today" thread.-dsc00247.jpg   The "What did you work on today" thread.-dsc00249.jpg   The "What did you work on today" thread.-dsc00254.jpg   The "What did you work on today" thread.-dsc00250.jpg   The "What did you work on today" thread.-dsc00256.jpg  

The "What did you work on today" thread.-dsc00179.jpg  
Old 01-07-2016, 02:03 PM
Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts
Default New Bonnet/Hood Liner

I enter my XK8 in many car shows and got tired of looking at the dull and somewhat sagging hood liner. So I purchased some SSP Foam, some 3M 80 adhesive, some edge molding and a Gold Leaper decal and went to work. Only thing left to do is install the edge molding. Turned out pretty good, very happy with the results. Hope the pictures come through.

Attached Images           
Old 02-27-2016, 09:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 186 Likes on 161 Posts
Default Respray

Got the car back after a respray. Have to wait a few months before I can wax it.

Attached Thumbnails The "What did you work on today" thread.-100_3152.jpg  
Old 02-27-2016, 02:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts

z
Originally Posted by MRomanik
Got the car back after a respray. Have to wait a few months before I can wax it.
Looks great, good luck keeping the black looking that good!

The following users liked this post:
MRomanik (02-28-2016)
Old 02-27-2016, 03:35 PM
Received 4,281 Likes on 3,701 Posts

they did a nice job on the respray!

today a few interior trim pieces arrived for me - now to get rest of the interior taken care of!

Attached Thumbnails The "What did you work on today" thread.-img_20160227_155302.jpg   The "What did you work on today" thread.-img_20160227_155452.jpg   The "What did you work on today" thread.-img_20160227_162447.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
MRomanik (02-28-2016)
Old 05-10-2016, 02:31 PM
Received 221 Likes on 113 Posts
Default Installed stainless rotors an ceramic pads.

Some how a rear rotor got badly scored so I replaced everything with stainless rotors and ceramic pads. They seem to work a little better and they sure do look pretty.

Old 05-11-2016, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 186 Likes on 161 Posts

Chemical flush and new hoses for the cooling system.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:14 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Got rid of a "22" airbag light/code by opening up the driver's seat and cleaning the connector to the airbag module there. Followed the helpful threads here on the subject and had it done in about an hour!

Old 05-13-2016, 12:15 PM
Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts

i've changed a couple of things on my '98 XK8 Coupe: on the exterior I replaced my original "duck feet" wheels with some "old school" bullit wheels...I had difficulty finding the color I wanted from the manufacturer so I bought a set of gray wheels and had them powder coated the silver color you 'll see on my pics. I also added brake caliper covers...I bought the MTP covers, filled in their logo, painted then added heat resistant Jaguar logos. Interior... added a very comfortable set of sheepskin seat covers...they make a big comfort difference (IMHO).

Old 05-14-2016, 08:04 PM
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Replaced all hydroulic lines on top and swapped out lift cylinders. A major pita. Tomorrow before i put the interior back together i am upgrading the sound system with alpine premium if all goes as planned.
Pooped

Old 05-15-2016, 12:42 PM
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I got the "rear light failure/cruise not available" message so I replaced the brake pedal switch this week. I removed the drivers seat and replaced the switch only, keeping the original bracket that bolts to the firewall. Not an easy task but very satisfying to see the alarm is gone........

Old 05-15-2016, 01:44 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Found and repaired a coolant leak under the intake manifold on the XK8. Replaced the upper control arms, new brakes front and back and R&R Transmission fluid & filter on the SType,. Now to find a slight vibration at around 55 to 58mph on the SType not so easy to find.

Old 05-15-2016, 02:35 PM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Installed new front struts and shock mounts. This afternoon I start on the replacing the rear shocks. Not sure I can do it. Looks difficult. lol

Old 05-15-2016, 03:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 375 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by XCrossWindsX
Installed new front struts and shock mounts. This afternoon I start on the replacing the rear shocks. Not sure I can do it. Looks difficult. lol
The backs aren't too hard, but there are tricks required.

The 4 vertical bolts that hold up the lower brace behind the differential have to come out so the lower arms can come down far enough.

When I did mine, I Jacked up the arm to compress the spring, then clipped on spring compressors, so when the jack was lowered, the spring couldn't go to full extention.

Here are some of my assembly pictures.

Old 05-15-2016, 04:22 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default started on the list of quirks

Have owned a 1997 XK8 since wednesday evening.
Have ordered in a JTIS on dvd from the states for the car (hopefully).
Have an issue with the drivers door window not lifting when closed, I have tried all the tricks I could find on here:
checked battery at 12.89volts
done a hard reset.
reprogrammed the windows.
None of these work. My observations so far are that with the passenger door, which is working, operate the inner or outer door handle and the glass drops. close the door and the glass lifts up to the seal.
while the door is open if you touch the inner or outer handle the window just stays where it is.
On the drivers door, if i operate the inner or outer door handle the glass drops. Once open, if I activate the handles again the glass drops again and again untill it is all the way down.
If I close the door the glass just stays where it is.
Using logic (can be dangerous), untill I get the JTIS schematics for the door control, I assumed that the door didn't know it was open and so kept dropping the glass.
On checking the door operation, the puddle light operates ok when the door is opened and if the ignition is on the display shows the drivers door as open.
In one of the threads a chap has replaced the VH4 switch on the door catch. His car only has the one switch so I guess that is the same on mine and mine knows when the door is open.
All a bit confusing so I will await the JTIS to see if the schematics offer any gems or insights.
Also the roof doesn't work but does make noises, I think this is due to the 19 year old liquid (or gell) in the lines. I have ordered some correct oil and will tackle this next weekend, hi ho.
Will update as I go (unless you get fed up).
Thanks for listening.
Wayne

Old 05-15-2016, 05:16 PM
Received 4,281 Likes on 3,701 Posts

Wayne - JTIS is available for download for free here on the forum - along with electrical diagrams, TSBs etc.

Old 05-15-2016, 05:31 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Or if you are unable to find it you can go to my page.

Old 05-15-2016, 11:37 PM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks Ungn. Read and bookmarked. Now I have one more question. When I put my front strut assembly back in, I didnt think about the spring (with the yellow markings out) having to have the yellow markings out. I spun it around almost 180 and put the yellow marks in. ....... Do I need to unmount it and spin it back around? Just on one side.

Old 05-16-2016, 02:31 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Gus & Steve
Thanks for the replies, I did look about for how to find the JTIS on here but it wasn't very clear and I didn't want you all thinking I had just joined to aquire it.
I have many niggles to get through with this car and look forward to being part of the community.
My wife has owned a classic car now for approx 8 years and I have been mechanic for the car during that time and learning as I go and have enjoyed the VWCOCGB community in that time.
Regards
Wayne

Old 05-16-2016, 06:21 AM
Received 288 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by sg18438
i've changed a couple of things on my '98 XK8 Coupe: on the exterior I replaced my original "duck feet" wheels with some "old school" bullit wheels...I had difficulty finding the color I wanted from the manufacturer so I bought a set of gray wheels and had them powder coated the silver color you 'll see on my pics. I also added brake caliper covers...I bought the MTP covers, filled in their logo, painted then added heat resistant Jaguar logos. Interior... added a very comfortable set of sheepskin seat covers...they make a big comfort difference (IMHO).

They look great. Would be good to see some pics from further out - with the whole of the side of the car.

Quick Reply: The "What did you work on today" thread.