XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the function of the three straps on the convertible cover?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2020, 09:59 PM
Received 131 Likes on 65 Posts

Hey, thanks to all who answered my question. I really like Rebel's suggestion to use rubber fuel line, as I can imagine bending my trunk or bonnet lid on a solid dowel. In my case the 1/2 inch outside diameter line holds solidly in place. I'm posting a picture here with white paper behind it for visibility. It works great as the cover cannot pull out with these in place. I very much appreciate these fine suggestions.
Originally Posted by XK8 Rebel
As was noted the tabs tuck under the trunk lid (er boot) to hold your cover in place and to keep it from flapping about and possibly damaging the paint or blowing away if the snaps let go. The rods keep the tabs from pulling through the gap between the trunk and the rest of the bodywork. However, when I got my XK8, it was missing the cover. I located a factory one of the correct color on ebay but of course it was missing the rods and caps. What worked well for me were a couple of short pieces of rubber fuel line cut to protrude slightly from the edges of the tabs. 5/16 inch diameter if I recall correctly. Fit snugly but with the rubber outer skin of the hose, it doesn't slide about or fall out of the tabs. Plus being soft and hollow, they can crush without any worry of them damaging something like a gasket or edge of the body work if it were to become pinched inadvertently. I put them in a couple of years ago and haven't had to fiddle with them since.

Last edited by jagophile; 08-07-2020 at 10:02 PM.
The following users liked this post:
XK8 Rebel (08-09-2020)
Old 08-08-2020, 01:04 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default straps

Originally Posted by jagophile
Still new to the XJ8 I am wondering what these straps or nylon hooks on the soft top cover do? Is there something that threads through the loop? There are three of these loops on the cover and it seems like it should connect to something...
hold rods that close in trunk lid when closed. my rods are 2inches long and plastic pencil size diameter

Old 08-09-2020, 09:47 PM
Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by jagophile
Hey, thanks to all who answered my question. I really like Rebel's suggestion to use rubber fuel line, as I can imagine bending my trunk or bonnet lid on a solid dowel. In my case the 1/2 inch outside diameter line holds solidly in place. I'm posting a picture here with white paper behind it for visibility. It works great as the cover cannot pull out with these in place. I very much appreciate these fine suggestions.

Glad you liked the idea. The protruding ends of the hose are handy to put your fingers on and tug snug when installing the cover too. They are stiff enough not to just fold up when you pull on them.

Old 08-27-2020, 03:18 PM
Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

That's exactly what I did, although I used a harder neoprene cooling system line material - works great and they haven't fallen out in years.