XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

What is included in the $3K "handling package" on a 2006 XKR?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2022, 10:32 PM
Received 193 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by giandanielxk8
Thank you!

Huh, searching for the MXD rack reveals it was superseded by the MJC rack. Does that mean it’s impossible to buy a new handling package rack?
I have seen a few MXD racks for sale. Not cheap but they are out there 2868 501 ZF LENKSYSTEME Steering Gear for vehicles with servotronic steering, for left-hand drive vehicles, Hydraulic for JAGUAR XK ➤ AUTODOC

Old 07-10-2022, 06:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,181 Likes on 760 Posts

Originally Posted by giandanielxk8
Thank you!

Huh, searching for the MXD rack reveals it was superseded by the MJC rack. Does that mean it’s impossible to buy a new handling package rack?
It appears so Gian. The number it supersedes to is standard LHD rack.
RHD racks seem to be advertised as more readily available. One of the few times those of us driving on the other side of the road outside of the US hold the advantage in something.
They must be out there a matter of seeking out breakers.

Old 07-10-2022, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by baxtor
It appears so Gian. The number it supersedes to is standard LHD rack.
RHD racks seem to be advertised as more readily available. One of the few times those of us driving on the other side of the road outside of the US hold the advantage in something.
They must be out there a matter of seeking out breakers.
My steering rack is the MJC? At low speeds it does take more input then I would want but once up to speed at 60+ you really don't need to input much, the steering can be twitchy at times. I don't think I would want a quicker rack at high speeds, at low I could see it being nice though but it's not a big deal. I had seen some right hand drive MXD racks and thought I had it bokmarked but I guess I didn't.

Old 07-10-2022, 07:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,181 Likes on 760 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuddlesworth
My steering rack is the MJC? At low speeds it does take more input then I would want but once up to speed at 60+ you really don't need to input much, the steering can be twitchy at times. I don't think I would want a quicker rack at high speeds, at low I could see it being nice though but it's not a big deal. I had seen some right hand drive MXD racks and thought I had it bokmarked but I guess I didn't.
l have only ever driven my XKR " with R features" so l have no before and after so to speak, but l can't fault the precision and pointing ability of the car as set up now.

Old 07-10-2022, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by baxtor
l have only ever driven my XKR " with R features" so l have no before and after so to speak, but l can't fault the precision and pointing ability of the car as set up now.
I don't really know if mine is the R-Package or not but it's an XKR with the Brembo calipers, CATS suspension and 20" Detroit wheels. My gear shifter is leather with an R badge on it as well. The steering rack isn't MXD though so I have no idea. My anti-roll bars used the MXD bushings so I figure the anti-roll bars are thicker then the standard cars. It's hard to tell on these cars what was standard or options because I know they changed over time a lot.

Old 07-10-2022, 10:53 AM
Received 366 Likes on 181 Posts

This excerpt from the 2003MY R-Performance Catalogue

The following users liked this post:
giandanielxk8 (07-10-2022)
Old 07-11-2022, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by PKWise
This excerpt from the 2003MY R-Performance Catalogue
I guess I have all of that then, although I think my car is a 2004 model but made and registered in 2003? I don't have the cross drilled discs although they may have been changed at some point in time.

Old 07-11-2022, 04:58 PM
Received 204 Likes on 144 Posts

All of the R options are coupe only? Saw an XK8 convertible for sale ad. R logo was clearly visible on the rear bodywork. False advertising?

Old 07-11-2022, 06:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,409 Likes on 2,878 Posts

There are plenty of XKR convertibles out there. But the Handling Package was supposedly only available on XKR coupes....

One thing to consider though is that for the final production run of these cars in April / May 2005, the factory was throwing everything but the kitchen sink into them in order to clear the parts bins. So there may be some very late cars that have options they were not supposed to receive. My wife's 2006 XK8 Victory Edition convertible was built in May 2005....

Old 07-11-2022, 06:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 919 Likes on 654 Posts
Default The "R" Package

CA Jag & Everyone that is interested!

My 2005 XKR Coupe is an "R" and it came with the "R" placed just below the Turn Signal Blinker Light on both of the Front Fenders! Every "R" I have ever seen is the same. Now that isn't 100% true in all cases as someone could order an "R" Emblem from one of the Jaguar Parts Stores and place it in the same place! If it was bought new from the Dealer or it still has the Build-Sheet available. It will tell you for sure!
I've been looking back over the past several Months of 'The Forum" as I remember someone had Posted a "Build Sheet" which showed several examples of how you could have ordered a 2005/2006 XKR Coupe or even a 2006 Convertible with the "R" Package! During the 2006 Model year, they started Selling the XKR and adding the "R" Package to promote Sells during the final Year of the X-100.....Up until that time you could not get a Convertible with the "R" Package. They did several things to promote Sells during the 2006 Model Year.....

This information was posted on the Forum earlier this Year! I looked and looked but I can't find it now! If you know where it is, I would love to have a Copy!
I hope this clears up most of the questions that are being asked about the "R" Package....

Billy Clyde @ Cinco Ranch

Last edited by bcprice36; 07-11-2022 at 07:06 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MaxTorq (07-15-2022)
Old 08-21-2022, 04:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,453 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by bcprice36
CA Jag & Everyone that is interested!

My 2005 XKR Coupe is an "R" and it came with the "R" placed just below the Turn Signal Blinker Light on both of the Front Fenders! Every "R" I have ever seen is the same. Now that isn't 100% true in all cases as someone could order an "R" Emblem from one of the Jaguar Parts Stores and place it in the same place! If it was bought new from the Dealer or it still has the Build-Sheet available. It will tell you for sure!
I've been looking back over the past several Months of 'The Forum" as I remember someone had Posted a "Build Sheet" which showed several examples of how you could have ordered a 2005/2006 XKR Coupe or even a 2006 Convertible with the "R" Package! During the 2006 Model year, they started Selling the XKR and adding the "R" Package to promote Sells during the final Year of the X-100.....Up until that time you could not get a Convertible with the "R" Package. They did several things to promote Sells during the 2006 Model Year.....

This information was posted on the Forum earlier this Year! I looked and looked but I can't find it now! If you know where it is, I would love to have a Copy!
I hope this clears up most of the questions that are being asked about the "R" Package....

Billy Clyde @ Cinco Ranch
For the last time Mr. Billy Clyde @ Cinco Ranch, I see that either through sheer stubbornness, poor reading comprehension, lack of desire to properly inform yourself, or all three of those, you continue to parrot misinformation on this forum. That R badge you speak of that is located below the turn signal light does not mean that the car has the R handling package. It only means that it is an XKR. An XKR is defined as an XK8 that has had its engine upgraded with a Supercharger, meaning it either makes 370 or 400 BHP depending on if it's a 4.0 or a 4.2. All 4.2L XKRs have the R badge below the turn signal light and all XKRs have the badge in the boot. Not all XKRs have the R performance handling pack, which was only available to coupes. This means that No Convertibles had the handling pack. Please refer to PKwise's post in this thread, post #26 where he shows an excerpt of the Jaguar Literature that explains what the Handling Pack is (R performance options). I have conveniently linked that post to you here: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...2/#post2543622

The following 2 users liked this post by giandanielxk8:
baxtor (08-21-2022), RayR (11-06-2022)