XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

What Made You Choose A Jaguar XK Over Other Car Brands ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 10:03 PM
Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts

There's not a better looking car on the road. I actually like the smooth lines of the coupe better (up to 2004?), but I really wanted an open car to enjoy the sky and the scenery. I jumped a bit soon on my '97 XK8, would have waited for an '03 XKR if I had known better. I do like the better gas mileage and it being a first year (for the US) model.

That said, I was planning form it to be a replacement for my 1991 ZR-1 so I was used to a lot more power, but the "8" is just fine. The difference in ride, comfort, noise level, and being a full convertible was well worth it. I'm too old to go blasting down the street or out on the open road anymore. I do miss that massive kick I had with the Z-1, but I think the XKR will solve that if I find one I love.

IMHO the only modern car that looks as good as the '97-04 XK8/XKR is the mid-60's Ferrari 275GTB and NART Spyder.

The following users liked this post:
Junkyardjohn (01-26-2019)
Old 03-26-2012, 05:18 AM
BeO
Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Very fun reading, keep 'em coming!

Hmmm how did I end up with a Jag? well, I've always loved Jaguars. But not the XK8/XKR When it first was introduced I thought it was sitting too high above the ground, and it was too heavy to be a proper sports car. I've always loved the E-type, the XJ series I and II, the XJS and of course the legendary XJ13.

But a couple of years ago I decided that I finally could afford a proper sports car. I started looking around, trying to find cars that I not only could afford buying, but also insure and service.

MX5, too common and also quite boring design.

Z4 Coupé, that's a very interesting alternative but way too expensive both buying and insurance. And it's a BMW, which is a disadvantage to me. I love the old BMW's, the 2002, 3.0, 635 and so on, but those are not very reliable any more (mostly rust). Modern BMW's are too dull as well, when it comes to design.

Honda S2000, I'd love one but too often the ones I could afford had been owned by some 20-25 year old guy that didn't care much for maintaining it properly.

Marcos Mantula, very hard to find a nice one here in Sweden.

Lotus Esprit S2, not too expensive to buy but they say it's supercar prices when it comes to service and such. Still interested in getting one some day

There were many other cars I considered, but usually they were unavailable to me because of financial reasons. That's when I stumbled upon a decently priced XK8 -97 and started looking into cost of ownership. To my surprise I found that I could afford an early XKR. Service costs no worse than any other modern family car. Insurance not much above what my old Honda set me back every year.
And when I saw a black coupé with proper wheels and correct height, it just looked so much better that the original XK8 on stilts and with tiny rims that I'd seen so many years earlier.

A few months later I found my car just some 100km from where I live. I still don't consider it a 'proper' sports car, the weight and automatic transmission are to blame, but it's a damn fine GT car that I love taking for a ride whenever the weather is fine. And the response you get from other people is very different from what I'd get if I had a BMW or Porsche. It's always smiles and thumbs up whenever I meet another car nut like myself.

And here's an interesting observation I've made when driving the Jag through town. Men look at the car while women look at the driver. Has anyone else noticed that too?

Old 03-26-2012, 05:40 AM
Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

I too think the coupe is better looking but own and prefer the convertible. I would like to have one of each! Oh well, back to work, keep dreaming.
2x

Old 03-26-2012, 09:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,364 Likes on 2,854 Posts

Yes indeed, the coupe is more visually appealing than the convertible. But in our neck of the woods, you want the ragtop to enjoy the gorgeous spring and autumn weather. But summertime is simply too damn hot - don't expect much top-down use once late May / early June gets here. We'll see....

Old 03-27-2012, 09:09 AM
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Looked for a 2003 Thunderbird for over a year.Love that look, However one web site sent me to 'comparable cars', and showed an 1999 xk8, Wow, I was floored! Where have they been hiding this car? The most beautiful car I've ever seen. What a combination of sport and elegence. Plus it was thousands cheaper, and with only 16,000 miles, it was just as new! P.S. Trying to get wife to buy a Thunderbird

Old 03-27-2012, 09:39 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The Jag keeps the Nortons company, & besides I actually need to be dry on some rainy days.

Old 04-14-2012, 10:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks to all for sharing their stories! Very interesting reading!
My wife fell in love with the 2006 XK8. It took a plenty of time, tons of research, and some depreciation to finally get our '07 XKR convertible. I love the look, the all aluminium chassis and of course the blower! It doesnt't hurt that it gets plenty of attention too!

Old 04-14-2012, 07:54 PM
Received 680 Likes on 489 Posts
Default Just a Dream

Had two XK-Es in when I was growing up. Wanted to revisit my youth I think. That and my wife, knowing I was a Jag mechanic for a time, said she married me thinking I would eventually buy her one. I did then pretty much modified the heck out of it so she is no longer sure it is her car.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is just the best looking car I could afford. Turned down Mustang GT's, Miata's, Audi + MB cabriolets, BMW 3 series, all are just too dull next to an XK8.

Besides, when I drive my car with the top down on a sunny day, I feel like a movie star. It makes me smile.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:55 PM
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

My father always told me his dream car was a Jag, stuck with me all these years. I wanted a vert as my midlife car and was headed in the direction of a classic merc, something like a 190sl or maybe an late 80's 560, ,then when searching ebay i saw a posting for a XK and realized for just about the same price i get more HP, classic looks, modern conveniences, something more unique. Then I drove one and was hooked. After three months of searching I found her, 30k miles, 2006 body, Vic Edition. Now in the process of cleaning her up and making her mine. And maybe giving her over to my pops for a bit.

The following 2 users liked this post by flycasterwa:
tberg (04-25-2012), Utrider (07-11-2012)
Old 04-25-2012, 11:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,419 Posts

Dear Flycasterwa,
What a wonderful idea for your dad. I'm sure you've made him very proud, and I'm also sure he'll love the sentiment behind your giving it to him for awhile. But I bet he'll tell you to keep it and enjoy it for yourself. Congratulations on your purchase.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:40 AM
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

What made me choose?

I saw one. That was 1997. Didn't spend the $70-80k for a new one those next "few" years. My signature below tells da rest of da story

Old 04-26-2012, 09:06 AM
Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts

When i was growing up, my family always sems to have British cars. Austins, MGs and even a few MGA twin cams. Of course my first motocycle was a BSA. A few years later we found a XK 150 drop head and put it back on the road... great looking big sports car. After university I bought a XK 150 fixed head and spent a few years resorting it. Three years ago i was looking for a convertible and very few fit my 6' 1" size until I sat in a XK8 at a car show in Montreal. It didn't take long to find a 2003 XK8 in my price range. It still gets the 'look of lust' from other drivers even though it has a resale value less than my wife's Subaru.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:01 AM
Received 151 Likes on 106 Posts

I have a 92 911 (964) and we were looking for another car, a convertible to go on weekend trips together. I went looking for another 964 convertible. We pulled over one day on "auto row" just to check my directions to the next 964. My wife looked out at the Jag dealer and saw the XK8. I had wanted one from 1969 but she never liked the older ones. But the 2000 XK8 was what she liked. SOLD.

Had it little over three years before it was totalled.

We will get another next year.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:29 AM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Had a 66 Mustang that my wife hated. It was a beauty (which she did admit to) but she never felt "safe" in it. When she would get in for a ride she would white knuckle it the whole time. Took the fun out of it for me. I finally decided to sell and get a more modern ride we could both enjoy. The one thing I had to have was a convertible as I had never owned one.
Looked at a lot of M3 BMW a few Saabs maybe an Audi but nothing made my heart pump.
Looking on the net one night and saw the XK8. I think it was a 98. Blue. Holy crap! My heart was racing! Showed the wife, she loved it! Saw the asking price and just about fell out of my seat.
Started the research and found this forum (Decided on the 4.2 A thousand thanks) Looked at two and then found my car up in Rhode Island. Took the ferry and then Amtrak spent the day having the car looked at and that night pulled into the driveway with my new toy.
The wife loves it "So comfortable" Loves having the top down (She had to go buy herself a hat for those drop top days)
So that's it! I have to admit the wife was right. The classic car is a nice romantic idea but the driving experience is like something out of the stone age.

Old 04-27-2012, 11:06 AM
Received 28 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by lorwood
Had a 66 Mustang that my wife hated.
The classic car is a nice romantic idea but the driving experience is like something out of the stone age.
Driving the Mustang was that bad? I've always wanted one. I looked at one last week...

Old 04-27-2012, 02:30 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Mexk8
Driving the Mustang was that bad? I've always wanted one. I looked at one last week...
Lots of little things add up

1. Manual drum brakes all around. That Toyota zipping along in front of you at 75 mph will stop in more than half the time than you will with a much much surer track. And if it's raining! Ford did offer power assist brakes and you could get the booster but even then this system is antiquated by any measure. While I am at it, single reservoir master cylinder. I did change to manual disc brakes up front and a dual master from a 70 something Maverick but it's no where near the handle you get with even the most basic car today

2. Suspension. Steel belted radials do make a world of difference but the suspension was about as basic as you can get and the ride quality followed

3. Seats. No head rests short back and only lap belts

4. Carb/Transmission/engine timing. You will forever be playing with this combo especially with today's gas. There is no on board computer to give the perfect combination of fuel/air/spark and with the combination of an engine that is either 46 years old and probably been rebuilt numerous times, same with transmission, and a carb that is surly not original there is no true baseline to turn to. Just your timing light your vacuum gauge and most often your ear.

I have had a few classics. They are fun. Beautiful to look at. But if you like to drive or you have fantasies of that long summer trip in your classic (like the TV commercials love to show) I would think twice.

Most classic guys use the cars as grocery getters and to take to shows.
The towing just gets to expensive to do anything else.

Having no classics in the garage and being able to jump in the XK8 has been a revelation for me.

I do chuckle at some of the "issues" that come up on this forum.

Visit some of the classic car forums. These guys spend their time doing projects like welding together frame rails and fabricating entire floor pans! Talk about headaches and pain! LOL

Old 05-01-2012, 05:03 AM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a red Suzuki TL1000S sports bike that I fell in love with, and when I first saw the XK series, the curvy lines reminded me of the Suzi. I now have both and love them in different ways. Although I respect German cars for their great engineering, they are dime a dozen over here in Japan. The number of comments I get about both my Jag and Suzi make me feel I made the right choice. Not to mention the leather, wood etc.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As TOP GEAR says "IT's a JAGGGGGGGGGGGGG.

Old 05-03-2012, 10:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 278 Likes on 171 Posts

Simple!!!! Jaguar is the coolest car there is!!!!

EZDriver 1995 X300 2000 XK8 conv

Quick Reply: What Made You Choose A Jaguar XK Over Other Car Brands ?