XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

What Made You Choose A Jaguar XK Over Other Car Brands ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 06:08 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Finally got my Jaguar XK

Like a lot of other posts I fell in love with the XKE in the mid '60's when I was a teenager and always wanted one. As I grew up and started a family I could never justify what a new one cost and rarely ever bought a used car. I wanted a new car every couple years and really went through some cars. It really was not until a year ago that that I discovered how relatively inexpensive it was to own such a premium car. So, I was then on a mission to find that right one for me. I had a couple dealers looking for me and I got an email about 3 weeks ago indicating that they (Silver State Imports, Raleigh, NC) had just gotten two XK Jags, neither the color I wanted which was British Racing Green or red. I have never owned a black car because they are so difficult to keep looking great, but for some reason I had my salesman send some pictures of a 2003 Black XKR. The car looked beautiful and all the numbers looked good so I planned the two and a half drive to Raleigh to take a look. It took about a minute for me to know I had found my XK and even better the premium XKR with a pristine interior and almost pristine original paint job. Someone had loved this car. I played it cool and went over the car and carfax with a fine tooth comb and drove it home that day. I've had it about two weeks now and have changed all fluids even the transmission fluid with the help of the Jag forum. I put a K&N cool air intake system on it, did a rear brake job (pads and rotors) and will have the front bumper painted soon. Get rid of the touched up road rash that comes with a 10 year old car. I want it perfect. The oil I switched to was Mobile 1 full synthetic. I have some coco mats ordered from cocomats.com. Just like the old XKE's usted have. There is very little left to do other that maybe change the front shocks and springs and their associated components. I have no real reason to do this other than the mileage; 78K. Does anyone have an opinion on the need to do this and does anyone know how to measure the front clearance data?

Old 10-25-2012, 11:58 PM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
Smile Style inside and out, muscle-car power

Five years of fabulous Porsche Boxster ended when a massive tree fell on it minutes after I parked it. I'd longed for big increase in torque...
XK100 series uniquely offered incredible exterior and interior style, no massive all-at-once repair bills, and a lower entry price than comparable vehicles. I intended to wait for just the right one, but accidents suffered by clients in big luxury cars motivated me to get something more quickly.

Lost out twice to low mileage black XK coupes at dealerships, accidentally hit XKR instead of XK8 at Autotrader.com and discovered minor price difference. Stupidly passed on an excellent, local XKR convertible because of its dark interior, bought low-priced XKR coupe out-of-state via Ebay but at inspection was disappointed at various small projects needed to be done. Decided to go for it, and after getting fixed up for same overall price as that convertible but with 35k more miles on it (ooof!) finally have a car 4 different mechanics agree is solid and ready to go the distance.

If you live in Denver, CO and get smoked by me in the city, don't take it personally, I just have to hit that torque curve over and over. Besides, any supercharged V8 is going to have pathetic MPG so might as well enjoy it.

Old 10-26-2012, 07:36 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Lust

Old 10-27-2012, 09:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 278 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by VisaDiva
Lust
Lust huh???? I'd give a lot to just watch you make love to that Jaguar!!!

The following users liked this post:
VisaDiva (10-30-2012)
Old 10-27-2012, 11:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,363 Likes on 1,072 Posts

Originally Posted by EZDriver
Lust huh???? I'd give a lot to just watch you make love to that Jaguar!!!
He means mechanical lust! my girl says it's the same for her with shoes.

Me, I've been surrounded by them and transported by them all life life, natural to own a few myself - I blame my grandfather, he had an SS100 just after WW2.

Old 10-27-2012, 01:52 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default art

The Art of Perfection!

Old 10-28-2012, 09:08 AM

You don't have to practice the supposedly inevitable act following the desire, as some of you may know (ask Jimmy Carter, who admitted lusting in his heart.) There is a 2010 Mercedes 350E Sport sitting next to Toto in the garage whose purchase was inspired by the same emotion, but a red 2003-05 XK coupe for purchase is being sought at this very moment. There was a 1950 XK roadster in the family's past that may have played into my decision, but the first time I felt true lust was with a friend's XKE in the most gorgeous pale yellow. It did spend more time in the shop than on the road, something mine has blessedly not done.

And Sean - That's She, not He. See pic under 2nd tensions DIY instruction HOW TO, post # 134.

Last edited by VisaDiva; 10-28-2012 at 11:43 PM.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 690 Likes on 560 Posts

A 2010 Mercedes, an XK8 and looking for an XK coupe. That must be one heck of a maxed out visa card and thus a worthy moniker.

VisaDiva (10-28-2012)
Old 10-28-2012, 01:15 PM
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by weisberg
Five years of fabulous Porsche Boxster ended when a massive tree fell on it minutes after I parked it. I'd longed for big increase in torque...
OUCH!!! I was looking at Boxsters when I stumbled into the XKR. Wife and I both fell in love instantly and knew this was the car for us. Glad you enjoyed the Boxster and will be interested to see where this journey leads.

Enjoy the torque!

Old 10-28-2012, 03:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretty simple - way too much car for a small amount of money as long as you don't have to run to the dealer for everything that needs adjustment, repair, or replacement.

Old 10-28-2012, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Jag#4
A 2010 Mercedes, an XK8 and looking for an XK coupe. That must be one heck of a maxed out visa card and thus a worthy moniker.
Visa is the mechanism, Diva, my magical way of making the balances disappear to the constant amazement of my signifigant other. So, you know anyone with a coupe who takes VISA?

Old 10-29-2012, 07:22 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Red coupe

You don't have to practice the supposedly inevitable act following the desire, as some of you may know (ask Jimmy Carter, who admitted lusting in his heart.) There is a 2010 Mercedes 350E Sport sitting next to Toto in the garage whose purchase was inspired by the same emotion, but a red 2003-05 XK coupe for purchase is being sought at this very moment. There was a 1950 XK roadster in the family's past that may have played into my decision, but the first time I felt true lust was with a friend's XKE in the most gorgeous pale yellow. It did spend more time in the shop than on the road, something mine has blessedly not done.

And Sean - That's She, not He. See pic under 2nd tensions DIY instruction HOW TO, post # 134.
Got this red '03 XKR coupe a few months ago, it's worth the search for one but they do seem quite rare...

Attached Thumbnails What Made You Choose A Jaguar XK Over Other Car Brands ?-rt-profile-%40-mikes.jpg  
VisaDiva (10-30-2012)
Old 10-30-2012, 11:15 AM
Unhappy

Originally Posted by Jag#4
The Benz is going bye bye soon and we have been kicking tires. OMG! Drove a 2012 Jag XL yesterday. Since we probably need a sedan it was definitely under consideration until we read the reviews. Seems it has managed to acquire the old transmission, electrical, etc problems of the old Jags. Terrible shame. Metallic black cherry exterior, off-white interior. Lots of stunningly beautiful wood, various shading within the grain, perforated SS dash that the AC vents lift out of, dial gear shift that rises out of the console. Suede headliner!!!

Lust squared, but, sorry, thanks for playing.

Old 10-30-2012, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by jabingb
Got this red '03 XKR coupe a few months ago, it's worth the search for one but they do seem quite rare...
Absolutely gorgeous! Want to sell it?

Old 10-30-2012, 12:32 PM
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I think the car delivers an exquisite blend of luxury and high performance, wrapped up in a beautiful timeless, elegant yet aggressive style. My example is an XK8 Coupe from 2003 in Topaz metallic.

For the most mundane driving tasks it is plush, comfy, smooth and quiet . You can spend a long time and many miles joyfully behind the wheel of this well-appointed machine. As for those times when you’re feeling a bit more “sporting”, the smooth V-8 cranks out some serious power and lets out a fine snarl as it quickly builds rpm to well over the 7k range. And the suspension is just taut enough to handle some curved roads with competence and excitement when called upon. It’s a really great car to drive all around!

Also I admit, I love the exclusivity of the car. You just don’t see very many on the roads at all. I have never had a newer automobile where people stop me all the time asking what it is, telling me it’s beautiful , how long have I had it, maintenance, how much, etc.

One guy at a gas station was stunned when I told him I got it for $15k, he said “you mean $50k right, FIVE ZERO”?! He turned and looked at his Honda Accord as if in disbelief that he chose that over the Jaguar..

Old 10-31-2012, 08:45 AM

OK, I cant help myself. I've been looking at the brochure and going over reviews on the 'net and can't get that XF (typo on earlier post) out of my mind. I'm going to drive it again this afternoon, and who knows? Maybe a pair of Jags in the garage after all...

Old 10-31-2012, 10:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 690 Likes on 560 Posts

Don't forget to jump over to the XF forum and see what they have to say. If they are half as helpful as here, you should get plenty of info to make a decision.

VisaDiva (10-31-2012)
Old 11-01-2012, 10:18 AM

Good idea. I did drive it again yesterday and was just as much impressed as the first time, but can't justify another sedan. We need a 'practicle' car to carry the dog to the vet, bring home mulch and have a trailer hitch, none of which the XF could do. It was beautiful to see them side by side in the garage and I wish I had taken a picture of it. Maybe in a few years when these considerations are no longer issues we will revisit the Jag sedan model, but for now I will just have to lust from afar.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:00 AM
Received 151 Likes on 106 Posts

We need a 'practicle' car to carry the dog to the vet, bring home mulch and have a trailer hitch, none of which the XF could do. It was beautiful to see them side by side in the garage and I wish I had taken a picture of it. Maybe in a few years when these considerations are no longer issues we will revisit the Jag sedan model, but for now I will just have to lust from afar.

same here. We will always have a wagon for those purposes, the xk8 is for our two person escapes. My daily driver is a 92 911.

I think we will always have a wagon , an xk8 and a 911.

VisaDiva (11-03-2012)
Old 11-02-2012, 04:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have built many hot rods that have been featured in national magazines including one that is currently being featured in a 2013 national calender.
I just purchased my first Jag, a 2000 XKR coupe. I worked with the guy who bought it new. He only had it a couple of days and asked me to take it for a drive. I was immediately hooked and asked him, if I could have first chance at buying it if he ever decided to sell it.
I just had to be patient.
To me the XKR couple, just has that "You Wanna Race" look about it.

Quick Reply: What Made You Choose A Jaguar XK Over Other Car Brands ?