XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

What Made You Choose A Jaguar XK Over Other Car Brands ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 11:27 PM
Received 124 Likes on 79 Posts

Like many of you, I find the XK to be a beautiful car. when they first came out, I thought the new design really put Jaguar back on the map. I have been wrenching on English cars my whole life. And, I have certainly made fun of the foibles that most owners have to deal with. But I really enjoy the tinkering and repair part. I can make a sick kitty all better! (Well, "most" of the time!" It is rewarding. It was another guy at work that said "In spite of your grousing, you really love those cars, don't you? You should buy one!" At that point I gave it some thought, saw what a relative bargain they were, and never looked back! Beautiful lines, gorgeous wood, and that awesome leather smell. And... it is nearly "silent" in operation! Kinda neat.

The following users liked this post:
Junkyardjohn (01-26-2019)
Old 11-03-2012, 10:58 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by VisaDiva
OK, I cant help myself. I've been looking at the brochure and going over reviews on the 'net and can't get that XF (typo on earlier post) out of my mind. I'm going to drive it again this afternoon, and who knows? Maybe a pair of Jags in the garage after all...
I felt really bad after the salesperson wiped all the drool off the XF. We've decided to keep the Benz and use the kids' CRV for the 'pratical' car. After all, they have the trailer hitch, the plastic bed liner for mulch. The dog loves to ride in the Jag with the roof down, so I guess I'll just have to make a permanent seat cover for the passenger side. Maybe someday, XF. The paint chip repair is looking really good, tho.

Old 11-04-2012, 07:20 AM
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

It's simple,I've always wanted a 4000 lb *****! LOL As said before, it's simply the most beautiful design ever made in my opinion. Ive had the pleasure of owning a 1964 1/2 Mustang ( Great car, but tame compared to most cars today). My 2003 mint XKR was totaled about 8 weeks ago. So, I just purchased a 2003 XK8 and drove it home to Upstate NY from Florida. I've never had a vehicle that's gotten so many complements. It's just pure enjoyment.

Old 11-06-2012, 09:51 AM

"I've always wanted a 4000 lb *****!"

Me, too!

How did you fare after the accident? OK, I hope. What does it take to total this car? I drove mine from Kansas City to Chattanooga and the only place I had problems was within 7 miles of my house, when someone almost ran me into a concrete median. Brakes worked very well.

I told someone recently that you need to feel 'wow' when you walk up to your car and be happy it's yours. I especially like the swivel necks of people in other convertibles. I always think, "mine's prettier" and it is.

Old 11-07-2012, 03:44 AM
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I fared very well. Actually didn't even mess my hair up. It doesn't take a lot to total these cars,because parts etc are so expensive. Mechanically my XKR was still in mint condition ,but there wasn't a body panel that wasn't scraped or scratched.
Is my new ride as sweet as the old one? no. But it's still a head turner as I found out from the many compliments that it received on my drive home from Florida.

The following 2 users liked this post by Sqeeter91:
Junkyardjohn (01-26-2019), VisaDiva (11-08-2012)
Old 11-07-2012, 10:23 AM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

XKE wannabe, and had opportunities over the years but friends' experiences kept me away. One March morning in 2011 I just decided to liquidate some of my toysa and consolidate into a red XKR at a friend's dealership. It's a joy to own and drive! But I do wish ity didn't look so much like a Sebring from the rear.

Attached Thumbnails What Made You Choose A Jaguar XK Over Other Car Brands ?-rc-wires-3.jpg  
Old 11-07-2012, 11:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by weisberg
If you live in Denver, CO and get smoked by me in the city, don't take it personally, I just have to hit that torque curve over and over. Besides, any supercharged V8 is going to have pathetic MPG so might as well enjoy it.
+1 I can't help it if I race past you... road chess has never been so much fun.

Old 11-10-2012, 03:21 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Whay an XKR? Simple really, in the UK after much research it is the most powerful car per £ spent... AMG Merc, A-M Vantage, TVR, 993 etc all fell short. Besides, we all love a supercharger!

Old 11-10-2012, 05:51 PM
Received 160 Likes on 113 Posts

From their earliest days Jaguars have had a special mystique that only Ferrari can match. The fastest production car in the world with the XK120, the Le Mans winning C and D types, the stunning XKSS and E type sports cars, the sleek and sexy MkII, & S type sedans, the svelte XJ6 and gorgeous XK8 just to mention a few. Jaguar is one of the very few manufacturers still producing cars who made their name on the track, and by constantly producing affordable, beautiful and fast cars for the general public.
I have lusted after a Jag ever since my first sight of a E type as a young lad. Looking through the louvres and counting three carburetors, the style, the power, the grace of it overwhelmed me and I just knew one day, I had to own such a car.
Regards,
White Bear.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,419 Posts

Assuming everyone who has contributed to this thread including myself thinks the first gen XK8/XKR is a stunning looking auto as well as an excellent performance bargain, it's interesting how others view it. This afternoon I had an appointment in Century City (Los Angeles). When I left, I decided to stop at my wife's office in Westwood Village, no more than a 5 minute ride away. In that few minutes' span I had no less than 5 people stop and comment about my car. The first, a man in his car at a stoplight on Wilshire Bl., complimentting the beauty and the color, the second a man at a bustop at a stoplight who told me how gorgeous the car was while I was stopped in front of him (had the top down all day), the third a man who was riding his bike through the village as I was parking at a meter and stopped to rave, and finally, two guys walking down the street who commented about how great it looked. All of these happened within seconds of each other. No other automobile I have ever owned elicits this kind of reaction, not my gorgeous '72 Pantera, my beautiful '78 280Z, not my '68 GTO, not my '58 Vette! WOW!! This has become so commonplace, I'm kind of amazed, but certainly not surprised.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:46 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The looks, the Jaguar racing reputation, both kids graduated from college and did I mention the looks. And unlike like some women I dated, I do not regret falling in love with the looks.
Mike W

Old 12-04-2012, 11:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,379 Likes on 2,860 Posts

I had previously assumed that XKs are ubiquitous in LA (possibly influenced to think that way due to ours originally being sold new to a customer living in Beverly Hills). tberg's post indicates that they may actually be scarcer than I thought. In any case, glad to hear that he's enjoying the compliments....

Old 12-05-2012, 06:33 AM
Default The coachwork...

Well, maybe not the back end, it does look a bit "sebring like". However the front end really does look like a nicely balanced modernization of the beautiful XKE. For years I was plotting the build of a 68/69 Pontiac Tempest ragtop, started working on an XKE with a friend, took a good look at an xk8 and started thinking other thoughts. This forum isn't helping much (ha!) I'm a bit nervous about all of the finicky issues, but I also want a vehicle that I will own, modify and not get bored with. I could stare at that body work for hours and I guess that makes it my latest obsession. I will have one.
-t

Old 12-05-2012, 04:16 PM
Veteran Member

Dear Jon89,
They are relatively common out here, I'm sure I see several every day or two, so I'm sure other owners out here and everywhere who have nice examples in very good condition receive similar compliments. I'm simply amazed at the continuing volume of these comments, nearly everyday. Understand, that I have a perfectly stock XKR, no lowered body, no extra spoilers, no 20" wheels, no exceptional paint job, just a perfectly stock, extra clean, very good paint, example. That essentially a 17 year old model is still fresh and mistaken for new on a regular basis, I think is testament to a great even classic design.

Old 12-05-2012, 06:50 PM
Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

My inculcation was on account of my wife. She is trying to become a lawyer, or something in the legal field. Back a few years ago (3+?? wow time flies) as as she was approaching Graduation for her Bachelors, she was hinting about maybe looking at a car just for her when she has to go out to court or to a clients house etc. and was trying to get me to help decide on BMW or Mercedes.

I told her that was so played out, a lawyer in a Beemer, and that I saw her in a T-Bird or maybe a Jag. Now, I bleed Ford Blue and I (initially) was leaning SOLIDLY to the T-Bird but man they still are holding their value and well, somewhere along the way to finding one, they just don't do it for me as much as the Jags do. I don't know, it has been slowly building up in me and now I smile every time I walk out my front door as there is a Jag in the driveway! It TECHNICALLY was more than I wanted to pay (or was expecting to) but that is only in reference to the range of what I wanted to spend on a used car, not that what i got wasn't worth it!

It is a blast so far and to think that less than a week ago I was still only secretly lusting...

Old 12-06-2012, 08:19 AM
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
Default love the one you're with

I live in Amman, Jordan.

I can't remember ever seeing an E type (my first choise) and the whole country has four (4) XJS' (my second choise).

My third choise, an XK8 2002, came on the market (one of only 8 in Jordan) and I had to make my move.

"If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with"

Billy Preston

Old 12-06-2012, 08:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,379 Likes on 2,860 Posts

Credit where credit is due - Stephen Stills, not Billy Preston....

Old 12-06-2012, 08:28 AM
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon89
Credit where credit is due - Stephen Stills, not Billy Preston....
Credit where credit is due; Stephen Stills was inspired by this Billy Preston quote and only used it after asking permission. Check:

Love the One You're With - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-07-2012, 06:08 PM
Veteran Member

Happened again, yesterday afternoon. At a stoplight on Santa Monica Blvd. and Westwood when a black Suburban with blacked out windows was next to me on my left. Rear passenger window comes down and a gentleman (obviously, and with great taste) says to me, "That's the coolest Jaguar convertible...love the car, looks new!" Daily occurance.

Old 12-10-2012, 04:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great to see the XK8/R is loved so much in so many country's, I have had a few Jags but this is my favourite she still put's a smile on my face every time I drive her & still at 12 years old turns many heads. Yesterday a guy commented
" what a sexy looking cat " Would have been better if it was a female said it though .

cheers

Wullie

Quick Reply: What Made You Choose A Jaguar XK Over Other Car Brands ?