XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

What Made You Choose A Jaguar XK Over Other Car Brands ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 02:27 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd always thought the XK8 was the most beautiful car I had ever seen and I'd like to have one some day. I'd had Land Rovers and (believe it or not) had excellent luck with them, so a Jag didn't really scare me. One day I woke up and found myself newly divorced and a bit depressed. A friend directed me to another friend who deals in Jags and BAM!!! Depression cured!!! I guess the funny part is that most people have no idea how reasonable of a price you can get such an awesome car for. I usually choose not to tell them...

The following users liked this post:
Junkyardjohn (01-26-2019)
Old 01-21-2013, 04:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 206 Likes on 189 Posts

in 1995 my father brought home a VDP and it was just stunning. I was only 8 years old and didnt know much about cars, but that car started sparking my interest.

as i got older i realized companies like Merc and BMW were a dime a dozen, anyone who was anyone who wanted to show off the fact that they had money....or wanted to pretend like they had money bought one of them.

When I turned 18 I wanted a car that was nice and sporty, fun to drive as well as big and luxurious.......I wanted a car that made a STATEMENT.....all the kids around me were getting 3 series and C-Classes....so i got an X-type.

I got a lot of attention (both good and bad) for being that kid with the Jag....the kid driving a grandpas car. I was getting bored with the X and wanted something bigger, faster. My father at the time had a BMW 740iL and my grandfather had an S320. I hated the Merc and liked the BMW, but it didnt give me the feeling i got when i drove the X308

it only took minutes after the test drive to sign the papers for a Zircon Blue VDP.....and that was the statement car I was looking for.

ever since then, the competition companies were producing anything that made me feel and smile as the Jag did....every 2-3 years i switched up for another XJ....and every new model I get, i say to myself "this was a good choice".

so for me, its a combination of the rarity, the feeling and emotion i get from the drive as well as how it stacks up against the competition. Although i must say, it almost lost this year to an S550 haha

Old 01-21-2013, 04:13 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by carzaddict
in 1995 my father brought home a VDP and it was just stunning. I was only 8 years old and didnt know much about cars, but that car started sparking my interest.

as i got older i realized companies like Merc and BMW were a dime a dozen, anyone who was anyone who wanted to show off the fact that they had money....or wanted to pretend like they had money bought one of them.

When I turned 18 I wanted a car that was nice and sporty, fun to drive as well as big and luxurious.......I wanted a car that made a STATEMENT.....all the kids around me were getting 3 series and C-Classes....so i got an X-type.

I got a lot of attention (both good and bad) for being that kid with the Jag....the kid driving a grandpas car. I was getting bored with the X and wanted something bigger, faster. My father at the time had a BMW 740iL and my grandfather had an S320. I hated the Merc and liked the BMW, but it didnt give me the feeling i got when i drove the X308

it only took minutes after the test drive to sign the papers for a Zircon Blue VDP.....and that was the statement car I was looking for.

ever since then, the competition companies were producing anything that made me feel and smile as the Jag did....every 2-3 years i switched up for another XJ....and every new model I get, i say to myself "this was a good choice".

so for me, its a combination of the rarity, the feeling and emotion i get from the drive as well as how it stacks up against the competition. Although i must say, it almost lost this year to an S550 haha
How old are you?

Old 01-21-2013, 04:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 558 Posts

If you are now 25 and have been buying XJs new every 2 or 3 years, congratulations and I would love to help you spend that trust fund.

Old 01-21-2013, 05:10 PM
Received 38 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by steveinfrance
I'm a masochist.
I'm sure someone will give you a fair crack of the whip. Boom boom.

Sat in one of the first XK8s produced, as part of one of the factory tours that Jaguar used to run (it was with the Jaguar Racing club, when they'd just started in Formula 1). The car was beautiful: it was a display model really, but the tour guides allowed us to sit in it and have our pictures taken.

Swore then that I'd have one, one day....

Best wishes, Colin

Old 01-21-2013, 05:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 561 Posts

I never was excited with the entry level models of any of the premium cars. No offense to X-Type and S-Type owners, but I've always been exposed to and interested in flagship models. I never considered a Jaguar other than an XK or XJ. I owned a 7-Series, I own an A8L and will likely own an S-Class in the future.

I love the r230 Mercedes SL. I think it's one of the prettiest cars Mercedes has ever produced. I also know how expensive and frequent parts will be on the performance models. You've never seen insane parts until you've priced V8 Compressor and V12 biturbo car parts. My XKR is classy, fun, decently quick and a great daily driver. Parts are a pittance compared to the SL though; that adds to my enjoyment.

Last edited by 80sRule; 01-21-2013 at 06:06 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:29 PM
Received 4,284 Likes on 3,703 Posts

it's simple - it's a JAG!!!! Like many have had a long fascination with the brand - the style and classiness are unparalleled. Looked at one years ago when I got my first re-enlistment bonus in the Navy but decided it would be ill-advised to buy when I would be deployed most of the time. Last spring just happened to come across this beauty and couldn't resist. It is now my daily driver and I couldn't be happier. I have a Benz and not really impressed with it.

Old 01-24-2013, 02:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dream Car

This is one of my dream cars.Growing up my parents had a 1996 Jag XJ8, 1998 Jag XJ8 Vaden Plas then a 2001 Jag XJR. I remember being in the dealership sitting in a 1998 Jag XK8 saying to myself one day I'm gone have one.. Now I have one.. Thank you God

Attached Thumbnails What Made You Choose A Jaguar XK Over Other Car Brands ?-img_0329.jpg  
Old 01-25-2013, 08:32 AM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

XK8: Fabulous looks, good luxury, no single point of failure whose repair = the cost of the used car you just purchased.
and then I accidentally hit the XKR button at Autotrader.com
XKR: muscle car power in first gear and Highway passing power in abundance. Both of which I wanted to experience after my Porsche Boxster.
Now if I could justify an LSD for my city driving...

Old 01-25-2013, 10:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 206 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by anthonyisd3ad
How old are you?

Originally Posted by Jag#4
If you are now 25 and have been buying XJs new every 2 or 3 years, congratulations and I would love to help you spend that trust fund.
LOL.....sorry to disappoint, no trust fund....just profit fund from my hard work

Old 01-28-2013, 11:06 AM
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Was offered a VDP 20 years ago

except I was only 30 years old.... and I had my heart set on the brand new '91 Legend.... I had negotiated a deal at a new company that included a car... the owner offered me his VDP to drive and see if that would do...

Gorgeous car for sure, just not what I wanted.... and definitely not me at the time.

Fast forward and I was looking at an Elantra, loaded. You know, to hand down to the kids when I was done.... would lease it to keep payments down and then let one of the kids buy it at the end...

Yet I really wanted a car was a drop top, wood steering wheel and a great stereo.... And damn it, it was MY turn again... I gave my '01 Acura CL-S to my daughter, a Civic to my step son, a bus pass to my son after he totaled the Focus I gave him and a Prius for my wife....

So what is there for around $10K with what I wanted... yes, could always add a stereo and wood steering wheel I guess, but I'm not that kind of guy... I like it all done.

The Lexus SC? go find one for that price anywhere...
Merc SL/SLK/CLK? BMW 3? Audi A4? Infiniti G?

I'm sure the early 2000's of these are ok but do they inspire? do they offer any panache? Do you think about getting up early to drive it that extra 20 minutes to work and taking the long way home?

Do you smile every time you look or even think about the Jag? and stay up nights wondering when/how to get that supercharger onto the 8.

Been watching the MECUM auction in Kissimee these last few days.. MUSCLE CARS abound and all the talk of modifications in the same breath as keeping things original.... very cool and very inspirational. I'm a history buff...

Owning the XK8 conv is like owning a piece of automotive history... and one of the most beautiful stand-still cars ever produced.

...plus I get a chance to meet y'all...

Cheers
DJ

Old 01-06-2014, 08:12 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default until I bought one

My first impression of the XK8 was not a good one. The very first one I ever saw had the one-piece front grill, was a convertible, and not any interesting colors. I honestly thought it looked ridiculous, and was not impressed that Jaguar had made such a car.

Fast forward about 10+ years and I have decided to buy a new car. I decide on a Jaguar, and I was fully intent on getting the fastest, fully loaded sedan that I could find. I was looking only for XJRs or Vanden Plas (still unaware of the Super).

So here's the thing- at this point I didn't even know that XK8s came in an XKR version, and I didn't know that coupes were made- I thought these cars were ALL convertibles that looked like large smiley faces (a reference to the one-piece grill)! So imagine my surprise when I glanced at an all black fully loaded 2000 XKR Coupe on cars.com. I knew I would have it. I couldn't NOT have it.

The comment/compliment I receive most often is "I've never seen a car like this before." and I always reply- yeah, neither did I, until I bought one.

Old 01-06-2014, 01:44 PM
Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

For me it's all about the Engine & that lovely V8 sound through my Vortex SS exhaust. There is nothing better than driving through the Hindhead Tunnel (it's near a mile long) with the roof down listening to that engine......
I have just retired from the Company that still manufactures the Power house for our cars and seeing what goes into the manufacturing process is why i chose my 2005MY XKR.
TS

Old 01-06-2014, 07:01 PM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Cool

I was not even considering buy another car when I saw our XK8. I figured our X-Type that we bought in 2007, would be our last purchase since both the wife and I are in our mid 70's. When I spotted this one listed at a local car lot that we've made several purchases in the past. I think it was on a Friday evening when I saw the ad, we had plans out of town Sat. so I went to check it out Sun. but couldn't find it on their lot. Mon. I went back to the lot and they said that the boss had sent it to their new down town lot where he wanted to display some exotic's to draw people in. So I went down to that lot, took it for a test drive, brought it back and said SOLD right on the spot. They had not even prepped it yet since they had just acquired it, so they schedule me in so they could clean it up later because I took it home that day. I didn't even haggle on their price, they already had it scheduled for the drivers seat recover and replacement of the center arm rest so these would be at no cost to me. I also had them adjust the parking brake and some other minor things done at their cost.
I've never regretted buying this one, I get all kind of compliments on it, so many people don't know what it is and just can't believe that it's a '97 and basically everything is original. I only drive it from spring through fall and take it to several show and shine events during the season, so far I've got a 3rd place and a 1st place in foreign class. I don't care about the trophies but I do like to talk to the people that stop by to view it.

Old 01-06-2014, 09:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,422 Likes on 761 Posts

"Inherited the car" actually known as, it was dying in my dad's garage and I told him that if I could get it to run, it is mine. He said, ok... good luck!

I have loved every minute of owning the car. I don't think I'll ever sell it, unless to upgrade to an XKR.

Old 01-06-2014, 09:34 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

My Wife!

Old 01-06-2014, 10:40 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, not a fair question since I own 10 cars. I have been into Lincolns since the early 80's, then could finally afford a Mark 8 in 2001. I've had three since then and still own 2 but I just put one out to pasture. About a year ago a used car dealer had a 99 XK8 in his lot and I just fell in love with the body style. He let me take it home for the weekend and then I really wanted one. It was a light green which I really liked. I offered him both my 77 Lincoln Towne Coupe AND my 72 LTD Convertible (Probably worth twice the value of his car....see my garage) That's how much in love I was with it. Anyway we could never strike a deal. I sold some property and vowed to get an XK8 and found the one I own now which is 3 times the car I almost bought. I just think the body is beautiful ..... Its smooth like a Lincoln and handles better than a vet......

Old 01-09-2014, 09:06 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

It was my wife's impetus, mainly. She always wanted one. But have to admit to being a willing accomplice. Lots of prior experience with Brit cars, although none were Jags. Have always admired them. A nice elegant, comfortable and dignified occasional change from the M Roadster, which is a thinly disguised race car.

Old 01-09-2014, 12:43 PM
Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

I was always a fan of the E Type, particularly after seeing them being 'tested' on the M1 in the 1960's. I was too young to buy one when they were affordable. I was never a fan of the XJS, but thought at the launch of the XK8 that it was the true successor to the E type. However, I always thought it would be out of my price bracket, and besides, I needed a sensible family car.
Three years ago my Brother in law died and I decided that it was time to start living (classic mid-life crisis). Both my boys had their own cars, I was cycling to work, so didn't need a daily driver in town traffic and the XK8 was in my price bracket. The search started and I looked at many cars, many of them potential money pits and ended up with my 2001 XK8. It still puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. No major problems to date, although it does require some work now to the rear wheel arches.

Old 01-09-2014, 02:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 561 Posts

Another year has passed owning the car. I have to say that this XKR has been very reliable, fun to drive, and reasonably easy to maintain. My car has 86k miles and im debating running it into high mileage or buying a low miler and doing this journey again!

This has been one of the few cars Ive ever owned that I thought, if something ever happened to it, I'd buy the exact car again with the insurance payout. 3 years and 18k miles, I love it!

Quick Reply: What Made You Choose A Jaguar XK Over Other Car Brands ?