XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

What Made You Choose A Jaguar XK Over Other Car Brands ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 05:39 PM
Received 53 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Why ~I bought an XK8

Having been brought up In Chelsea in central London in the 1960/70s I just loved the look of the Jaguar XKE and other Jaguars and other exotic cars. There were plenty of them. As time went by I owned a number of sports cars however when the XK8 came out I thought it was utterly amazing and yearned for one, but felt it was unreachable in terms of cost. However after selling my peugeot 406 V6 which was a lovely refined car found that the XK8 was within reach financially. And boy I was impressed. No car has ever looked that good and felt so good to drive. The XK8 stands out like no other car. Continuous comments from passers by reinforce its presence as do other drivers behaviour. I have had the car for 2 years now and its the best thing I have ever driven. I did not buy the car for other peoples responses but for my own pleasure. And it really delivered that. Every time the car is driven it is a special occasion or so it feels and that shape and interior is the icing on the cake. What else could be better FOR THE BUDGET?

The following users liked this post:
Junkyardjohn (01-26-2019)
Old 01-15-2014, 06:51 AM
Received 137 Likes on 85 Posts

The first generation XK8 /XKR reminds us of the heady days when Jaguars had a sleek body unfettered by rear and side impact regulations. I have owned 50 cars and never bought one based on it's safety record. There are no car guys in government, only little products of the nanny state they were raised and educated in.

The following 2 users liked this post by Excalibur2012:
jimmiejag (11-28-2017), Junkyardjohn (01-26-2019)
Old 11-27-2017, 09:44 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

In 1964 a high school friend borrowed a friend's dad's XKE and we tooled around in it one afternoon. thus began my love affair with Jags. on my fourth one now and all XJs--although my mechanic wants nothing to do with them. my first was a 1986 so it was quite buggy but not so much now. XJs are so luxurious and comfortable, much more so than sporty ones that I have a hard time getting in and out. currently have a 2009 because it was the last MY for the curvy look--went from Pittsburgh to Philly to get it. still nothing like a Jag.

Old 11-27-2017, 12:30 PM
Received 243 Likes on 136 Posts

I drove ( did not own ) a couple of E-types in my youth in the late 60s early 70s and loved Jags ever since then but never thought I could afford one. Four years ago after a serious motor cycle accident , my wife "suggested" I stop driving bike so I bought a Mazda MX5-Miata. A fabulous car but the seating position was very hard on my wife's back. Last summer she joked "you should buy a Jag". We both laughed because we figured it was out of the question but something made me google the XK8 and lo and behold the price was WAAY below what I expected. I sold the MX5 and went looking for an XK8 in the 2003-2006 range and bought one for $3000 more than the MX5

I love the XK8 because it reminds me of the E-Type. Its'a gorgeous car and I often get compliments from young and old. It's the best long distance car I have ever owned and ( when the spirit moves me ) I can "scare the crap out of" the Mustang and BMW crowd

Old 11-27-2017, 02:47 PM
Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

I used to play with a specific 'HOT-WHEELS' in Nursery School Detention, after Primary School had let out and before being picked up by my parents. Turns out it was a late sixties, bright orange, E-type Coupe, also the 'HOT-WHEEL' was vintage as well, actually having been manufactured in the late sixties, and probably worth many times what I paid for my car.

After growing up, physically at least, I sought out cars with the same shape, not knowing exactly what I was looking for at the time. Once I could afford something that was not from my Uncle's Junk Yard, I bought a 1980 RX-7 that I drove for years until that faithful day I came home to see Austin Powers II, and his new 'Shaguar'.

At that point I knew I found what I had been looking for and would own one someday. Someday came rather soon thanks to the over nagging nature of these vehicles and the 'I am about to self destruct' messages that scroll across the display when the battery voltage is low, as my car was suffering the dreaded parasitic drain from the ignition cylinder, and the Dealer was unplugging the battery after every showing of the car making things worse, so I was able to pick my XKR up for less than half of the original sale price of ~$38,500 that the Dealer was trying to get.

15 minutes on this site, a couple ounces of Coolant, a new correct brake light lamp, lubricated the ignition cylinder and swapped out the brake light switch, which was the most expensive item on the list @ ~$160, and everything is up and running.

As far as the Mustangs, we have a bunch around here with Challengers and the like mostly occupying the car lots. However, unlike the Mustangs, I can put all of my XKR's horsepower to the pavement without going sideways and wrecking the car.

Last edited by 03 XKR; 11-27-2017 at 02:53 PM.
Old 11-27-2017, 07:01 PM
Received 221 Likes on 113 Posts
Default I didn't choose it over other brands!

I just saw my 2004 XK8 convertible sitting on a used car lot 3 years ago and pulled over. It was up on a ramp and a Sunday so I prowled around under her. Clean looked good so I went back on Monday and looked her over. They got her down off the ramp on Friday and I took the wife and on a rainy November day we went for a test drive. Solid peppy, wood and leather and as they say, you don't get in a Jag you put it on and she fit perfect. I am handy, have a garage and toolss and with the help of this forum I have now enjoyed 25,000 miles of summer time driving as I am in Canada and she won't see salt and snow. I wasn't even looking for a car as I had a nice reliable Chrysler minivan and an Elantra. After driving the XK8 I just missed the driving experience so much when winter comes that I got a 2008 S-type with the same power train as a winter beater. My car just turned over 193,000 km. When I put her away and she runs like new. I plan on driving her until they have to take me out with a lift.
New Stable Mate for the XK8 - hate to call the S-Type a winter beater but that is her mission, get me through a Canadian Winter.

Old 11-27-2017, 08:56 PM
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Just takin 'bout love whoowa

I saw the car come out in 1996 at 100 grand CDN.... OOPS whole lotta dough

So I downloaded the screen saver for my 'puter and sat n dreamed... for years

In 2007 I bought me a 1997 XK8... in great shape ... but alas the nicasile problem arrived.
SOLD IT ,SOLD IT, SOLD IT!

these cars are so sexy just has to have more... now I have 3.

platinum vert is a driver, quartz vert and the black cat are summer only and car shows etc.

The sleek look and lovley driving are the best, and they are fast... and for some reason I dont get tickets ever...touch wood.

Cheers
Andy

Last edited by Wide_Tyres_2; 11-27-2017 at 09:00 PM.
Old 11-27-2017, 08:58 PM
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Hooked Since 16

Like many other posters to this thread, I first fell for Jaguars in the early 60s when the E-Type was introduced and I read all about it in Road & Track. I saw my first one in person and that was it! I somehow managed to convince my parents to finance my first Jag in '63: a 1955 XK140MC DHC. I was a senior in high school. The 140 was a substitute for an E-Type, but I really loved that car. In 1977 I even visited the Jaguar Works in Coventry.
Years later I was able to own several Jaguars at the same time: two Es, another 140 and an XJ6C. Time passed and I unfortunately sold all of them.
A few years ago I found my XK8 coupe on our local CraigsList and now have it in my special-built garage where she gets great attention and some repair work -- thanks to this forum. She really suits me at my current age better than an E-Type would, but I'd still love to have another one of them!

Old 11-27-2017, 09:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 654 Posts
Cool The Jaguar XKR Coupe

Back in 1997 or 1998 I was in London waiting on a Bus just outside Marble Arch, not far from the U.S. Embassy, when this BRG XK Coupe drove by (on the wrong side of the street).....Well, I guess in London it was the Left-side of the Street......It was the first XK Coupe I had ever seen and I fell in love with it right then and there!

When I got back to Houston, I got on the Internet and found my first Coupe up in Louisville, KY. It was Topaz!......and I made it the first of my 4 Coupes over the years and I am still driving #4...my Ebony/Ivory 2005 XKR Coupe and I still love it just as much as I did when I saw that BRG Coupe in London.....So far it's still the most Beautiful Car I've ever seen....How about you? (See below)

Billy Clyde in Houston

2005 Jaguar XKR Coupe - Ebony/Ivory

Old 11-28-2017, 09:32 AM
Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

About 5 years ago, I flew into LAX and called a friend to pick me up and give me a ride home. As I was waiting for him to show up, a bright red shiny XK8 convertible pulled up in front and my friend was driving it. He had just purchased it and I was blown away. As we loaded my luggage into the trunk, several people gathered around and starting asking questions about his "cool" car. I was hooked, especially after he told me what he paid for it. Sadly he totaled the car a month after. He was racing a BMW on a two lane entrance to a freeway and lost. He hit the side barrier, it went airborne and landed upside down. Somehow he survived without a scratch. I couldn't find a red one, so settled on a shiny black convertible instead.

The following 2 users liked this post by MiragePro:
bcprice36 (11-28-2017), Junkyardjohn (01-26-2019)
Old 11-30-2017, 07:11 PM
Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

My wife and I were searching for a convertible for her for about a year. We looked at a Mustang (too loud), a VW (too Ugly), a Merc, a BMW, and then saw this gorgeous car with a brand new top in a Craigslist ad and it was decided. We've put 10,000 miles on it and love it. I've enjoyed fixing a very long list of little things and getting everything to work correctly. I just wish she drove it more than I do. In the summer I drive it every day when not raining.

Old 11-30-2017, 11:23 PM
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts
Smile Back after 50 years

My first contact with a Jaguar was with a friend's 1956 XK120, back in 1966. Fantastic car, first photo is of me was taken in the summer of '66 with trophies won for motocross, and rallies. Second picture is of my newly acquired 2006 XK. After owing many cars, two kids and a wife who didn't understand, it was finally time for me to do it again; own a true motorcar. After a three year on line search, I finally found one, to my specs, low milage, one owner, and even the right color. So far I've owned it three weeks, I was right, fun to drive. YES My new toy, even at my age (76) I'm in love again.

Attached Thumbnails What Made You Choose A Jaguar XK Over Other Car Brands ?-16665956_1067574116705517_3696762647921423035_o.jpg   What Made You Choose A Jaguar XK Over Other Car Brands ?-dscn0058.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by Rick'sJag:
Junkyardjohn (01-26-2019), Marc (12-01-2017)
Old 12-01-2017, 01:33 PM
Received 46 Likes on 20 Posts

I saw XK8 at 1998 first time and it was most beautiful car I've ever seen.
Decided that I have to get one someday, and finally realized my dream.
I'm not fan of later XK models, they have no 'soul' so to speak... no offence.
And yea my XKR is hobby car, only drived on summer. Finnish winter & heavily salted roads are harsh for cars.

Old 12-01-2017, 01:49 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Falling in LOVE at 5 Years Old!

I remember standing on the passenger seat of this convertible (no seat belt required) when I was 5 years old - riding to the store...and JUST LOVING THIS CAR!!! It was an XKE, I would much LATER find out...it was in the 60's. I loved the LONG front end...it seemed to go on FOREVER through a little girls eyes! Things have changed so much since that day...but not ALL THINGS!!! I still LOVE a Jaguar!!! Just Beautiful!

Old 12-01-2017, 03:03 PM
Received 107 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhonda Hall
I remember standing on the passenger seat of this convertible (no seat belt required) when I was 5 years old - riding to the store...and JUST LOVING THIS CAR!!! It was an XKE, I would much LATER find out...it was in the 60's. I loved the LONG front end...it seemed to go on FOREVER through a little girls eyes! Things have changed so much since that day...but not ALL THINGS!!! I still LOVE a Jaguar!!! Just Beautiful!
Glad you found such a nice one Rhonda!

I fell in love with the XK-150 when I was in high school, before the E-type came out. I managed to get one about ten years later and managed to hang onto it for seven years. The loss was painful and never went away. I loved the XK8 when I saw it in magazines but didn't see one in person until a few years ago. I started craving one and thanks to this forum narrowed my quest to 2003 and later and, as I only wanted a non-supercharged coupé, had to search far and long, eventally finding a 2006 XK8 coupé in Portland, Oregon, just over a year ago. Love it!

Old 12-01-2017, 03:49 PM
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
Smile

As a kid in the 60's/70's in Uk used to walk from a council estate to my Gran's through a private (posh) area. There was a Jag E-type in one of the drives and me and my mates used to drool and fantasise when we saw it.

I said then I would have a Jag when i got older and rich!! Cant remember which one i said first.

So when I got older I bought one then another and another!!

Still working on the rich part

Old 12-01-2017, 11:57 PM
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

I sadly had to sell my older XJ6, too many repair problems. I was looking through the market advertisements on the computer, and came across a sharp looking XKR.
The wife looked over my shoulder and said "oooh! what is that?" That's all it took.

Old 12-02-2017, 04:28 AM
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Yeah Spousal approval wins every time.

Old 12-02-2017, 02:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 654 Posts
Wink Oh... John! What did you buy?

Originally Posted by johns427
My wife and I were searching for a convertible for her for about a year. We looked at a Mustang (too loud), a VW (too Ugly), a Merc, a BMW, and then saw this gorgeous car with a brand new top in a Craigslist ad and it was decided. We've put 10,000 miles on it and love it. I've enjoyed fixing a very long list of little things and getting everything to work correctly. I just wish she drove it more than I do. In the summer I drive it every day when not raining.
Well, Johns427! After reading this, it seems that you are the Member of the Household that's driving the Car....not your Wife! I bet your wishes would come true if you would get your butt out of the driver's seat and give her the Keys....! It appears that in reality old John was looking for a convertible and found it.....Either let her have the car and go find one for yourself or get back in John's 427!!! I'll bet that would solve some problems around the house!

Billy Clyde in Houston

Old 12-03-2017, 10:33 AM
Received 104 Likes on 62 Posts

I had been looking at several different cars with v8 or v10. Bmw M5, M6, Ford Mustang, Chevrolet Corvette, Mercedes AMG. In the end I fell for Jaguar Xkr x100 for the great looks both external and interior together with the lovely engine. And for the price tag. Never regret my choice

Quick Reply: What Made You Choose A Jaguar XK Over Other Car Brands ?