XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

What is it which makes the X100 so unreliable?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 04:56 PM
Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Game Room

Originally Posted by LuvmyXJS'
I have been reading this post as I have been thinking about adding a XK8 or R to the stable in the future.

I know for myself that as a Jaguar enthusiast my Jags are well taken care of so both my current Jags have pretty low miles and if I had a big enough house I might even park one in a game room so I could stare at it all the time-LOL!

Just need to move your game room

The following 2 users liked this post by JRabbit:
JagNoir (02-14-2018), LuvmyXJS' (02-15-2018)
Old 02-14-2018, 05:11 PM
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default my experiance

After reading the first page ill put my experience here:

1st: love the look and feel of my 04 XKR.

2nd: The guy I bought it from did me dirty. I truly didn't know what to look out for, I asked on the forums however I ignored the very good advise. I bought one that was starring to fall apart due to no maintenance. And I could see it but was blind to the car.... I should have kept my money and looked for a nicer kept one. My car was from the desert and has obvious paint wear, heat checking and clear coat peeling, also sun faded rear window trim.

3rd: Parts are a little more expensive than say a ford or chevy. (will never find one in the junk yard)

4th: After doing some major repairs, fuel pump, fuel rail, front suspension rebuild, water pump and water lines under the SC while I was in there, I still have electrical issues such as the seat recline does not work and I'm stuck driving hunched up. The seat head rest does not move like it should, AC works great for a while (half hour or so) then it warms up. The seat and steering wheel memory does not work, the radio cuts in and out for a half a second once in a while.

5th: I have had my car listed for sale at half of blue book for several months, I have only gotten one call on it. When the guy asked how many miles were on it and I told him 95k he said it was about 60k more miles that what he was looking for. I went to trade it in for a truck and all the dealerships offered was $2200 trade in credit. So I am stuck with this beautiful car, that I rarely drive... would i buy another one? Maybe a S-type R.. but probably not.

In the end, I have a seriously fast and fun car to drive, but it is way above my means to keep it for much longer. As I paid $11K for it, have about $2k more in parts, and the insurance is killing me (16 year old son just got his license and in Oregon you cant exclude him from the policy). I'm looking at selling it for about half of what I have put into it, along with only driving maybe 3k miles total since I have bought it.

Last edited by BlooDSMeaR; 02-14-2018 at 05:24 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Jeagar (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 04:13 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by johns55
I wouldn't say that most X100 problems are because of bad engineering (although some are).

The ZF 5 speed transmission was used on a few different manufactures models, so it's problem is consistent in most models it's used in.

The Nikasil engines were a pretty high end development and was used in other manufactures engines. The sulfur reaction with that lining I guess is an engineering mistake but most X100 cars still on the road would probably not have an issue.

Plastic chain guides were definitely not an X100 only problem. My two Audi's both have the same issue and my wife's A6 has been the most trouble free car we've owned (166,000 miles with no major problems)

Plastic water pump fan and thermostat housing were all done to reduce weight. Many manufactures have done this also, American, Japanese, and European. They all suffer the same problem after time.

Rubber suspension bushings I don't consider an engineering mistake. It was Jaguars way of getting "that ride". After time, they degrade. Any rubber will do this.

What I'm saying is many of the "problems" with the X100 are specific engineering decisions to fix a problem or get a specific result. Some of these problems are also age specific. Purchasing any 10 to 18 year old vehicle will leave you with some of the same problems.

Now all that being said, there are some, in my opinion, foolish decisions in the construction of the X100. Octopus hose and heater pump. VVT seals that are very finicky. Convertible hydraulic system that is a problem waiting to happen. No sound out of the stock exhaust system (just kidding).

Bottom line is, they are fantastic looking cars that have some weird aura that makes you put up with the problems. I have 4 cars and I don't consider the XK8 the best of them, yet I'm drawn to it.
Regardless of how one names the problems, be them bad engineering, failed attempt at innovation, fail attempt at doing it better or trying to fix problems, bad choice of parts even if shared with other manufactures or what have you, the weaknesses are real, and knowing they are there and what they are makes all the difference. I'm feeling much more confident about buying a X100.

And your last paragraph hits it on the head, as they say:
Originally Posted by johns55
Bottom line is, they are fantastic looking cars that have some weird aura that makes you put up with the problems. I have 4 cars and I don't consider the XK8 the best of them, yet I'm drawn to it.
I actually suspected as much and even said basically the same in a prior post. That I suspected because the cars are so lovely, people are just willing to put up with all the problems. That is of course a big compliment that not even the most reliable car in the world may have the privilege of sharing. This type of aura is something that you can't buy.

And thanks for expanding on the details about the problems. It's really helping to make things more clear and helping me make an educated decision.

Old 02-15-2018, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. D
I am at the point that we should be fair to Jeager also. While the content of first 13 post covered a multitude, it was not processed that way. He has displayed tenacity, energy, and very detailed responses. Those are some of the same traits of the most helpful members on this forum.
I assume his country DE=Germany.
Thanks. I appreciate it.

And you would be correct about my location.

Old 02-15-2018, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by renaultvation
In fairness to Jeagar, he stated at the outset that he loved the styling of the car, which is probably what attracted the majority of us to it. Until I bought mine, I always had sensible family cars. It was only when I saw one for sale locally for a very low price that I realised that I could realise my dream. That car turned out to be rough as a bears *rse, but it was sufficient to spark my enthusiasm and my search took me to look at lots of cars until I found the best I could afford. Fortunately in the UK, there are plenty of cars to look at within a relatively small geographic area.

Jeagar, what part of the country are you in?
Thanks. I do love the car. I'm not thinking about buying it because I can't afford something more expensive. I want it because I truly like it. By the time I'm done with a manual transmission swap I'm sure I could have bought something more expensive. But I always loved the looks of the X100, like I said in my opening post.

And Dr.D is correct. This is where I reside at the moment and here it's just not like back in the UK, where you see a Jaguar at every corner. Especially not a X100. So the pool of options is more limited, the prices are higher and not every other person's uncle is a Jaguar independent mechanic. This is also part of the reason I need to think carefully and why I am or was skeptical. Here a X100 is more special and that comes with all the things that entitles, good and bad.

Old 02-15-2018, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by MiragePro
I believe the original question was, "What is it which makes the X100 so unreliable"? Personally I would have to say FORD. I have had my 2002 XK8 for two years and the maintenance that I have had to do was attributed to the plastic parts on the engine that Ford insisted on using to cut costs. These are easily replaced with metal parts. Would I replace my engine with one manufactured by an American company? I think not. I now have a car that is unique and has character that I can be proud to drive.

By the way, I owned one Ford once, and you will never see me drive another one.
I have to agree. Ford did some good, but also some wrong. Bigger companies tend to have more bean counters.

Old 02-15-2018, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by JRabbit
Just need to move your game room

I would be nervous about people playing around my cars like that. That nice paint job! I cringe just to think...

Old 02-15-2018, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by LuvmyXJS'
I have been reading this post as I have been thinking about adding a XK8 or R to the stable in the future.

I would recommend to any one who is thinking about buying a particular vehicle to not only spend time on the forums learning from the owners of the vehicle but also make a few calls or if possible go in person and speak to a few repair shops that specialize in repairing the type of vehicle you are looking at as they will have a wealth of knowledge on issues, costs and parts availability for a potential purchase. They deal with your potential vehicle every day covering a broad spectrum of mileages and conditions.

I know for myself that as a Jaguar enthusiast my Jags are well taken care of so both my current Jags have pretty low miles and if I had a big enough house I might even park one in a game room so I could stare at it all the time-LOL!

My point is I have no problem being honest with my ownership experience but for me that ownership experience is a bit limited. For example I spent a great deal of time finding the best examples I could afford to start with so I do not really know how well my Jags would be doing had they been driven like my normal daily driver. All that said I have found the owners on this forum to be very straight forward with their ownership experiences and will go out of there way to help in any way they can-but being polite and humble goes a long way.

What I noticed with just your title to your post was you were starting your inquiry by being negative by stating the X100 was already unreliable. Now since you do not have any direct experience with owning a X100 it seems like you would have been better off by stating in your title something like " I have heard the X100 can be unreliable-true or false? "

I am just sharing a honest evaluation on how your post came across and I wish you well on your search. If I had only listened to all the negative comments about Jaguar cars I never would have taken the plunge and I would have missed out on my most gratifying car ownership experience to date. I will say that there have been surprises owning a older Jaguar like how reliable it has been or how inexpensive some of the parts were, but the biggest surprise is the big smile on my face every time I drive it.
The advice for visiting repair shops is worth its price in gold! Excellent suggestion. Thanks.

Point taken about the title of the thread. I didn't mean it to come across as rude. Sorry if it did.

But while I agree the title could have been worded differently, all the info was in the opening post. I opened it with: " Horror stories about Jaguars have circled around for as long as Maserati's. But in the case of the X100, what is it which makes it so unreliable and gives it such a bad reputation?" and I also wrote: "I have always loved the shape of the car and I like the Jaguar brand. What has always kept me away was the auto transmission and the horror stories...". So with that I think it was pretty clear that I was not stating the X100 was already unreliable, but rather basing my notions on the stories I heard and basically asking if the stories we hear are true. So yes, I could have worded the title as you suggested and wrote " I have heard the X100 can be unreliable-true or false? ". But in actually this is basically what I was asking in the opening post body. Besides, by now I think it's pretty clear the stories are true. The plastic tensioners and all the other mentioned inherent problems gave the car real weaknesses.These weak points are most certainly what originated the unreliability stories. We now know that all the problems can be taken care of. But that's very different from the problems not existing. They do exist. So it's at least fair to say not all the stories were false.

And thanks for the good wishes on my search. Having had a look around it seems I will need it. Finding a 4.2 low mileage car for a reasonable price or at all seems to be quite a difficult task here.

Old 02-15-2018, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by BlooDSMeaR
After reading the first page ill put my experience here:

1st: love the look and feel of my 04 XKR.

2nd: The guy I bought it from did me dirty. I truly didn't know what to look out for, I asked on the forums however I ignored the very good advise. I bought one that was starring to fall apart due to no maintenance. And I could see it but was blind to the car.... I should have kept my money and looked for a nicer kept one. My car was from the desert and has obvious paint wear, heat checking and clear coat peeling, also sun faded rear window trim.

3rd: Parts are a little more expensive than say a ford or chevy. (will never find one in the junk yard)

4th: After doing some major repairs, fuel pump, fuel rail, front suspension rebuild, water pump and water lines under the SC while I was in there, I still have electrical issues such as the seat recline does not work and I'm stuck driving hunched up. The seat head rest does not move like it should, AC works great for a while (half hour or so) then it warms up. The seat and steering wheel memory does not work, the radio cuts in and out for a half a second once in a while.

5th: I have had my car listed for sale at half of blue book for several months, I have only gotten one call on it. When the guy asked how many miles were on it and I told him 95k he said it was about 60k more miles that what he was looking for. I went to trade it in for a truck and all the dealerships offered was $2200 trade in credit. So I am stuck with this beautiful car, that I rarely drive... would i buy another one? Maybe a S-type R.. but probably not.

In the end, I have a seriously fast and fun car to drive, but it is way above my means to keep it for much longer. As I paid $11K for it, have about $2k more in parts, and the insurance is killing me (16 year old son just got his license and in Oregon you cant exclude him from the policy). I'm looking at selling it for about half of what I have put into it, along with only driving maybe 3k miles total since I have bought it.
This one seems like the old stories I'm used to reading about the X100. Sorry that you are going through that.

How many miles did it have when you bought it?

Your experience really puts me off from buying anything which is not extremely low mileage, which here probably means a very long wait and search. Unless I want to pay through the nose. Especially if it's to be a 4.2 car.

Old 02-15-2018, 05:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,452 Likes on 780 Posts

With these cars, I find that sometimes, a low mileage car will actually be in worse conditions than a higher mileage well maintained car.

I think there are two reasons for that:
1. Owner assumes that if the car hasn't been driven often, maintenance doesn't need to be done. However, rubbers degrade and fluids go "stale" even if the mechanical parts themselves are in perfect conditions.
2. The electrics in these cars like feeling road vibrations on a frequent basis to keep them on their toes. I have no idea why this is.

Jeagar (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 05:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,701 Likes on 1,013 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeagar
".........Your experience really puts me off from buying anything which is not extremely low mileage, which here probably means a very long wait and search. Unless I want to pay through the nose. Especially if it's to be a 4.2 car.
please excuse me if I'm not being diplomatic enough, but that kind of thinking reminds me of old grandpa from the old country. He would call us kids "dunderheads" when we were mixed up in our thinking, and didn't know it.

you don't want a classic, or near classic like the XKR / XK8's are, that has few miles. That's the sure recipe for YOU to be the one fixing all the problems that will ALWAYS arise from owning a cutting edge car. I've been buying classics since the 1960's. Without fail, the ones that never got driven by the previous owners had more problems that fell on my shoulders to fix vs. the cars that got exercised regularly. The cars that got driven more had already had most of the flaws exposed, and were fixed on someone else's dime before I came on the scene.

reapir and maintence records kept by previous owners will tell you much more about a cars value than the odometer.. you'll want repair records that show the water pump, cam chain tensioners, etc. had already failed and were fixed properly.

just my 2 cents.

Z

The following 2 users liked this post by zray:
Jeagar (02-15-2018), Mark Oz (02-16-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by giandanielxk8
With these cars, I find that sometimes, a low mileage car will actually be in worse conditions than a higher mileage well maintained car.

I think there are two reasons for that:
1. Owner assumes that if the car hasn't been driven often, maintenance doesn't need to be done. However, rubbers degrade and fluids go "stale" even if the mechanical parts themselves are in perfect conditions.
2. The electrics in these cars like feeling road vibrations on a frequent basis to keep them on their toes. I have no idea why this is.
Interesting way of looking at it.

This week I saw one at a dealer with about 100K on the clock. I think it was a 97 or 98. It looked really good on the surface. Really, really good. Nice colour too. It was advertised as having full service history. But because of the mileage and also the year model I didn't look any closer. Advice seems to be to get a 2003 and newer car. So I just walked by. Maybe I should go back and check it out? Although if I wasn't in a hurry at the time I probably would have anyway.

Old 02-15-2018, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by zray

please excuse me if I'm not being diplomatic enough, but that kind of thinking reminds me of old grandpa from the old country. He would call us kids "dunderheads" when we were mixed up in our thinking, and didn't know it.

you don't want a classic, or near classic like the XKR / XK8's are, that has few miles. That's the sure recipe for YOU to be the one fixing all the problems that will ALWAYS arise from owning a cutting edge car. I've been buying classics since the 1960's. Without fail, the ones that never got driven by the previous owners had more problems that fell on my shoulders to fix vs. the cars that got exercised regularly. The cars that got driven more had already had most of the flaws exposed, and were fixed on someone else's dime before I came on the scene.

reapir and maintence records kept by previous owners will tell you much more about a cars value than the odometer.. you'll want repair records that show the water pump, cam chain tensioners, etc. had already failed and were fixed properly.

just my 2 cents.

Z
The last ones were made in 2006. So I'm not sure I would call them even near classic. Although I see what you mean and it actually makes sense. But I also think we would hit a point of "diminishing returns" sort of speaking too? Too many miles also can't be good. What would you say is too many miles, for you personally? Just trying to follow your logic. Thanks.

Old 02-15-2018, 05:45 PM
Veteran Member

Yes, definitely check it out. Test drive it, and ask for a copy of the service records. Also, get a pre-purchase inspection. When in doubt, ask us.

My two cents, go for the XKR, preferably a coupe, you'll understand when you see and test drive one in the flesh. It's the rarest (well, unless you count Victory Edition).

Jeagar (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 05:46 PM
Veteran Member

The last ones were made in 2006. So I'm not sure I would call them even near classic. Although I see what you mean and it actually makes sense. But I also think we would hit a point of "diminishing returns" sort of speaking too? Too many miles also can't be good. What would you say is too many miles, for you personally? Just trying to follow your logic. Thanks.
To me? Too many miles would be about 200k without a rebuild.

Jeagar (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 05:52 PM

Yes, definitely check it out. Test drive it, and ask for a copy of the service records. Also, get a pre-purchase inspection. When in doubt, ask us.

My two cents, go for the XKR, preferably a coupe, you'll understand when you see and test drive one in the flesh. It's the rarest (well, unless you count Victory Edition).
OK. I will try to find sometime to drive by and see if it's still there. I seem to have read something about staying away from the early cars, like 96-99 or so. But test driving it won't hurt.

As for XKR vs XK8, still undecided. I like the idea of the power in the XKR but prefer naturally aspirated engines personally. Although I'm getting the impression the car will choose me. If I find the right one for the right price I better buy it regardless of XK8 or XK,R or I might have to wait for a long time till another right one comes around.

Old 02-15-2018, 05:59 PM
Veteran Member

OK. I will try to find sometime to drive by and see if it's still there. I seem to have read something about staying away from the early cars, like 96-99 or so. But test driving it won't hurt.

As for XKR vs XK8, still undecided. I like the idea of the power in the XKR but prefer naturally aspirated engines personally. Although I'm getting the impression the car will choose me. If I find the right one for the right price I better buy it regardless of XK8 or XK,R or I might have to wait for a long time till another right one comes around.

I think it's best to take your time with it and find the best possible example. If your budget allows it, strive to get a 2003-2006 car. Those have many of the problems resolved from the factory: the timing chain tensioners, the water pump, the transmission, to name a few.

I've had both an XK8 and an XKR and I find the R to feel a lot like a NA engine until you start driving a little more spiritedly. That's when the supercharger whine becomes noticeable, but it's never overbearing or annoying. I actually like the sound of the blower.

Last edited by giandanielxk8; 02-15-2018 at 06:01 PM.
Jeagar (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 06:07 PM
Received 4,339 Likes on 3,749 Posts

Jeager - I jumped and haven't been disappointed, others haven't been so lucky

some consider higher mileage a risk but my 2000 XK8 has been my daily driver (50 miles round trip) since Feb 2012 plus a few trips.

I purchased Mistress Betty from the local Jag dealer $10k with 91k on the clock (knew absolutely nothing about them but loved her styling and she looked to be in excellent shape). She has not disappointed and the forum didn't come into play until 2 months into my journey.

To date I have put an additional 79k on her and the biggest expense was the transmission rebuild (x2) (july 2014 and then again Dec 2016). Overall in the time I have had her, my total maintenance and repair costs have been 9400.

Upcoming repairs - AC compressor starting to fail (can get a kit on ebay for $350 for compressor, receiver/dryer and O-rings); rear shocks - need replaced all parts on hand - $400

Keep doing your research, find a few, test drive then decide. Many have said and I have to agree - the forum is the best tool in an owner's tool box.

Jeagar (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 06:13 PM

I think it's best to take your time with it and find the best possible example. If your budget allows it, strive to get a 2003-2006 car. Those have many of the problems resolved from the factory: the timing chain tensioners, the water pump, the transmission, to name a few.

I've had both an XK8 and an XKR and I find the R to feel a lot like a NA engine until you start driving a little more spiritedly. That's when the supercharger whine becomes noticeable, but it's never overbearing or annoying. I actually like the sound of the blower.
Prices for 2003-2006 XK8s here are 30-40K. XKRs are higher, IF you can find 2003-2006 cars. That's for decent mileage cars.

Old 02-15-2018, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by sklimii
Jeager - I jumped and haven't been disappointed, others haven't been so lucky

some consider higher mileage a risk but my 2000 XK8 has been my daily driver (50 miles round trip) since Feb 2012 plus a few trips.

I purchased Mistress Betty from the local Jag dealer $10k with 91k on the clock (knew absolutely nothing about them but loved her styling and she looked to be in excellent shape). She has not disappointed and the forum didn't come into play until 2 months into my journey.

To date I have put an additional 79k on her and the biggest expense was the transmission rebuild (x2) (july 2014 and then again Dec 2016). Overall in the time I have had her, my total maintenance and repair costs have been 9400.

Upcoming repairs - AC compressor starting to fail (can get a kit on ebay for $350 for compressor, receiver/dryer and O-rings); rear shocks - need replaced all parts on hand - $400

Keep doing your research, find a few, test drive then decide. Many have said and I have to agree - the forum is the best tool in an owner's tool box.
Thanks for reporting on your experience. Good to hear about somebody putting so many miles on these cars.

But 2 transmission rebuilds in 2 years. Was it something out of the normal that made it go?

Quick Reply: What is it which makes the X100 so unreliable?