XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

What is it which makes the X100 so unreliable?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 04:13 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

It seems one of my posts in this thread was deleted and also the reply to it. But interestingly, the post which prompted the deleted reply is still here and unaltered.

Old 02-26-2018, 09:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,452 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeagar
It seems one of my posts in this thread was deleted and also the reply to it. But interestingly, the post which prompted the deleted reply is still here and unaltered.

Oh yeah, that’s the work of the forum gnome. (Or was it kitty).

Btw...

CLAIMED!

Old 03-02-2018, 07:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,442 Likes on 898 Posts

Originally Posted by Rivguy
I have been following this thread and it seemed to me that it was started on the wrong foot, backwards in fact. It opened with a smug challenge and everyone that answered has tried to provide all the best advice. This forum is a great resource in helping advise the enthusiast identify and rectify known potential problem areas. This is a positive approach. I don't think that there is anything to be gained by tearing down the marque.
I agree . . . in spades! Any thread which opens with a preconception of displeasure or doom (this one even brags its bias in its title) serves no use to existing owners, offers no helpful advice, nor is even entertaining.

My advice? Either get a good X100 from the get-go (our MY04 is faultless and easily as good or better than any contemporary) or go find some other marque you will be happier with. If I sound displeased, it is because I know I speak for many who do find these forums helpful, informative and friendly . . . and that their X100 is a great drive!

Of course there are clunkers and shoddy examples out there. These forums also reveal that there are owners who try to run their cars with no oil, or who become upset when their Jaguar which has been displaying a Christmas tree of warnings on & off for months, finally fails. The very nature of forums like this attracts those with a problem needing a solution . . . and that alone can give a skewed image of unreliability.

With all the free resources and helpful advice available here, it is bewildering that many folk can't, or won't, bother to maintain their cars to standards that allow them to enjoy both great reliability and enjoyable performance . . . but then, many more do. They are the ones with big cheesy grins!!!

Cheers,

Ken

The following 7 users liked this post by cat_as_trophy:
CorStevens (09-02-2018), jimmiejag (03-03-2018), michaelh (09-02-2018), Orthodixie (03-05-2018), Scottsgreenjag (03-04-2018), simon3166 (03-04-2018), StuG (03-25-2018) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-05-2018, 04:52 PM
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Well, no former owners so far. But thanks for all who replied. You will have to forgive me for being pessimistic about enamored current owner's opinions. But I have been burned twice by that. The problem I see is the several times mentioned "with proper regular maintenance" and the variations of that statement. This is a loaded statement. Does it mean being under your Jaguar every other weekend repairing something? Because this is exactly what burned me before. Of course if you repair everything that brakes the car will stay on the road, at much cost. But that doesn't mean the car is reliable. It just mean you love it enough to put up with it. Regular maintenance does not mean regular repairs. Very different thing.

And about the age excuse, again in my experience is just that, an excuse. For example we have been running 2002 Vauxhall Astras as company cars which was bought new and still have it after 16 years. We had basically ZERO problems with that. The only major repairs was a fuel pump replacement on one and a alternator in another. That's it! They have done over 160k so far. Nothing else besides consumables like brake pads, tires, AC refill and the like. This year passed MOT straight. 2015 as well. 2016 they asked to replace the tires on one. And we literally just put petrol and drive. It's serviced once a year before going to MOT and it's no repairs. Just real regular maintenance, which means checking brakes, checking dumpers, checking muffler and exhaust etc, and replacing those if needed etc. After 15 years of use, including in winter, as they are used year round, one developed a small rust bubble behind the rear door on the passenger's side. This was the only other repair. But after 15 years! This is what I call trouble free. And the cars keep on giving and on surprising. This is the reason it is still in service. Why sell them for peanuts when the cars work great, pass MOTs straight up and are so cheap to run? Before buying I heard all sorts of bad things about Vauxhall. But was pleasantly surprised. This is part of what made me believe the other cars with bad reps might also be good and have unfair reputations. But those deserved the bad reputation and more and I will never had that brand again.

Now I'm not suggesting a Jaguar should be as cheap to run as a Vauxhall. But it could at least be as reliable as it costs a lot more. And I'm already preparing myself to hearing back reports from some here about having had Vauxhalls or knowing somebody who does and them being bad or that I just got lucky. But if it was only 1 car I could see as lucky. But not the case here. And yes, they have AC, power locks, power mirrors, power windows etc. They were loaded in 2002. So it's not that they don't have anything to break. No electric problems either.

What I'm saying is, so far it all have sounded exactly the same as with the other cars. Praise from current owners, excusing the car for the age and claiming regular maintenance is the key. But on the other cars which I got burned with, regular maintenance turned out to be regular repairs, which is very different. So it is sounding exactly the same so far. So forgive me if I'm skeptical. Hoping to see some former owners maybe jumping in with their reports too.

But so, does regular maintenance here means regular repairs ? Means being under your car every other week or even every other month?
I have never had as much fun in my life with my clothes on than driving my 2005 X100 XKR. My divorce present had 44,000 miles with 1 window regulator covered by warranty, then a weird thing where a loose stainless clamp allowed the throttle body inlet to have a small hole worn under the hose elbow which got it to coughing and lunging but Jaguar paid the whole bill for what amounted to a few valves failing and at 66,000 miles I got a free top end overhaul and porting and polishing to boot. I threw in new double coils on the spark plugs and went like hell up to about 104,000 when I needed a left rear hub due to a bad pothole and one GREAT red head on the sidewalk. I replaced that wheel bearing, did the others as a precaution, replaced the upper bushings on the suspension, the top high pressure hoses and bought a new entire hide from UK Hide Co. which bought the Connelly leather to reupholster my Recaro seats. Repainted my bumper due to scraping the bottom going up the drive at a bloody KFC for chicken. Refinished my BBS wheels. That is about it. I'm at 127,000 miles- oh I bought a new bottom pan for the transmission when my significant other drove it over a piece of angle iron on the road. That's about it. The forum is my lifeblood to saving money. These guys make it very affordable to drive the car.

After saying that, I hope you decide to buy something else. We love our Jaguars and the marque is really going places. The new XE just broke the sedan record at Nuburgring. I had ordered a new F type, but when it came, it would not fit me. The top hit my head when up and my left leg couldn't straighten out. The dealer gave me my money back and it was sold in 2 days. I think your attitude going in, you will be finicky and bad mouth the breed. Nothing against you and I could be wrong, but I'm just one of us current owner liars telling you how I feel.

Last edited by Arland Green; 03-05-2018 at 04:57 PM. Reason: misspellings
The following 5 users liked this post by Arland Green:
baxtor (03-06-2018), cat_as_trophy (03-05-2018), jimmiejag (03-05-2018), JRabbit (03-05-2018), toaster (03-06-2018)
Old 03-05-2018, 07:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,452 Likes on 780 Posts

So, could you tell us more about the red head?

Old 03-06-2018, 06:14 AM
Received 105 Likes on 65 Posts

I am so done with this thread. Nine pages of mostly negative reply's/comments from the thread starter. If he does eventually purchase a Cat, he'll do nothing but complain about every little thing that happens and every bit of money spent on it. My final advice, what ever you do, Do Not Purchase A Jaguar!

Time to get on with more important things. Have any of you checked on the "Test" thread lately?

The following 3 users liked this post by Scottsgreenjag:
baxtor (03-06-2018), CorStevens (09-02-2018), toaster (09-07-2018)
Old 03-06-2018, 12:56 PM
Received 83 Likes on 74 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by scottsgreenjag
i am so done with this thread. Nine pages of mostly negative reply's/comments from the thread starter. If he does eventually purchase a cat, he'll do nothing but complain about every little thing that happens and every bit of money spent on it. My final advice, what ever you do, do not purchase a jaguar!

Time to get on with more important things. Have any of you checked on the "test" thread lately?
yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, ye..................s!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-07-2018, 04:58 AM

So, I finally had some time to go through the thread again and take some notes. It took a while weeding through all the unhelpful comments and getting to the good ones which tried to address the topic. But I managed it.

These seem to be the weak points and faults to be aware of and things to watch out for when buying a X100:
  • Nikasil engines which came only in pre 2000 cars. But by now they should have been sorted and be no problem because petrol supposedly has less sulfur? So Nikasil engines at this point are ok to buy?
  • Throttle body defect. Till what year model was this a problem?
  • ZF5 gearbox. The video I posted earlier seems to say the Mercedes one broke down even more than the ZF5? I guess the ZF6 is the one to have? But they only came with the 4.2 cars, which here are as rare as hen‘s teeth.
  • Plastic timing chain tensioners
  • Plastic shoe in tensioners
  • Water pump - Seems to be because of the plastic fan and plastic thermostat and plastic vanes. Is this only in the pre 2000 cars?
  • Cooling system hoses.
  • Suspension rubbers.
  • Suspensions general problems: wishbones, ball joints, wheel bearings. Could anybody elaborate what the problems with those are?
  • Heater pump
  • VVT seals
  • Fuel pump
  • Fuel rails
  • Radiator is very sensitive to pollution and dirt and tends to accumulate gunk. As well as rust.
  • Rust, which is basically the same level of problem with any car of that era it seems. With the X100 it seems to be mainly chassis bars, sills and rear arches.
  • Problems with CATS system
  • Electrical issues. This is what worries me the most. Most of the problems can be addressed. But electric gremilins is the worst and hardest type of problem to address. At least it doesn‘t seem to be as bad as Lucas electrics .
  • Remote key battery- Minor problem but can be annoying in the long run if you get one with a dead battery.
  • Head rests fail
  • They seem to be a pita to work on, unless you have access to a lift?
  • Somebody mentioned an Octopus hose. What is this exactly?

Well, these are the issues I could gather from this thread and reading online. It's good to have them all in a single post for reference.

As I have mentioned, I have decided to give it a go and buy a X100. I love the looks too much. I guess this is what entrapped everybody. But getting into it fully aware of the problems makes it a different experience. So I won't be surprised. I will of course do all in my power to get a good one. But there are dishonest sellers everywhere. I have already looked at 2 cars where the sellers clearly were lying through their teeth. But I will persevere. I have decided I'm not in any hurry to find one. I just hope I can find the right one before prices start to go up.

This thread has been tremendous help. It would be great if it could be condensed to the helpful posts only. It would be much easier to navigate. But oh well. So is the nature of internet forums.

I want to thank again all those who tried to help, those who don't have a thin skin and are not so precious about their cars, and those who had the patience to address my points. Much appreciated. Thank you very much!

Old 03-07-2018, 06:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,181 Likes on 760 Posts

So, I finally had some time to go through the thread again and take some notes. It took a while weeding through all the unhelpful comments and getting to the good ones which tried to address the topic. But I managed it.

These seem to be the weak points and faults to be aware of and things to watch out for when buying a X100:
  • Nikasil engines which came only in pre 2000 cars. But by now they should have been sorted and be no problem because petrol supposedly has less sulfur? So Nikasil engines at this point are ok to buy?
  • Throttle body defect. Till what year model was this a problem?
  • ZF5 gearbox. The video I posted earlier seems to say the Mercedes one broke down even more than the ZF5? I guess the ZF6 is the one to have? But they only came with the 4.2 cars, which here are as rare as hen‘s teeth.
  • Plastic timing chain tensioners
  • Plastic shoe in tensioners
  • Water pump - Seems to be because of the plastic fan and plastic thermostat and plastic vanes. Is this only in the pre 2000 cars?
  • Cooling system hoses.
  • Suspension rubbers.
  • Suspensions general problems: wishbones, ball joints, wheel bearings. Could anybody elaborate what the problems with those are?
  • Heater pump
  • VVT seals
  • Fuel pump
  • Fuel rails
  • Radiator is very sensitive to pollution and dirt and tends to accumulate gunk. As well as rust.
  • Rust, which is basically the same level of problem with any car of that era it seems. With the X100 it seems to be mainly chassis bars, sills and rear arches.
  • Problems with CATS system
  • Electrical issues. This is what worries me the most. Most of the problems can be addressed. But electric gremilins is the worst and hardest type of problem to address. At least it doesn‘t seem to be as bad as Lucas electrics .
  • Remote key battery- Minor problem but can be annoying in the long run if you get one with a dead battery.
  • Head rests fail
  • They seem to be a pita to work on, unless you have access to a lift?
  • Somebody mentioned an Octopus hose. What is this exactly?

Well, these are the issues I could gather from this thread and reading online. It's good to have them all in a single post for reference.

As I have mentioned, I have decided to give it a go and buy a X100. I love the looks too much. I guess this is what entrapped everybody. But getting into it fully aware of the problems makes it a different experience. So I won't be surprised. I will of course do all in my power to get a good one. But there are dishonest sellers everywhere. I have already looked at 2 cars where the sellers clearly were lying through their teeth. But I will persevere. I have decided I'm not in any hurry to find one. I just hope I can find the right one before prices start to go up.

This thread has been tremendous help. It would be great if it could be condensed to the helpful posts only. It would be much easier to navigate. But oh well. So is the nature of internet forums.

I want to thank again all those who tried to help, those who don't have a thin skin and are not so precious about their cars, and those who had the patience to address my points. Much appreciated. Thank you very much!
This is simply ridiculous.

Old 03-07-2018, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by baxtor
This is simply ridiculous.
Why is this ridiculous? All this info was posted in the thread by X100 owners, apart from 1 or 2 points where I got from the buyer's guide video I posted on the thread.

Old 03-07-2018, 10:02 AM
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Count me in as getting sorely tired of this thread - and yet I find myself rubber-necking, sadly, mostly on account of the soap-opera factor.

Jeagar, let me try to explain where the negative commentary comes from. I'll keep it simple.

Your thread title is akin to waltzing into a bar and proclaiming: "I hear all of you have an ugly spouse. I'm not inclined to say where I heard this (no source, no data), but I demand your opinion on it. And oh, incidentally, I only want to hear from those with ugly spouses."
Not surprisingly, that pisses a lot of people off from the outset.

A number of surprisingly tolerant and patient individuals have come forth with their views on various problem areas which you could have identified yourself through the edified use of the board search function.
It becomes you to thank these individuals.

I think you have now concocted a sufficiently extensive list of things to worry about in your hunt for the infallible XK*. If you do end up acquiring one, chances are that list will expand.

If you do come back with an X100 actually *in* your garage, I am sure you will be welcomed by the many helpful and knowledgeable people here in your search for your own, concrete solutions.

For now, I really do suggest you give it a rest.

Good luck in your hunt.

/Per

Old 03-07-2018, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by JagNoir
Count me in as getting sorely tired of this thread - and yet I find myself rubber-necking, sadly, mostly on account of the soap-opera factor.

Jeagar, let me try to explain where the negative commentary comes from. I'll keep it simple.

Your thread title is akin to waltzing into a bar and proclaiming: "I hear all of you have an ugly spouse. I'm not inclined to say where I heard this (no source, no data), but I demand your opinion on it. And oh, incidentally, I only want to hear from those with ugly spouses."
I tried editing my OP to better phrase it, but I don't have the option. On top of that, there is a message saying Last edited by GGG; 02-10-2018 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Typo in thread title . I'm not sure what was edited in the title. But if I could I would go back and edit the title, just so thin skinned people could stop getting worked up over nothing. But this forum doesn't offer this option. I had already said as much before as well.

As for sources, all you need to do is google, XK8 reliability and see what comes up. Look at the extensive list of problems given in this video and tell me somebody new to the X100 wouldn't be skeptical:

The problems talk start at 3:36 till basically the end of the 11:00 video.

Not surprisingly, that pisses a lot of people off from the outset.
Some will get upset by anything besides unquestioned praise for their car. So I normally don't worry about that. Unless I'm dealing with 5 year olds.

A number of surprisingly tolerant and patient individuals have come forth with their views on various problem areas which you could have identified yourself through the edified use of the board search function.
It becomes you to thank these individuals.
Yes. And I already thanked them, repeatedly, several times.

I think you have now concocted a sufficiently extensive list of things to worry about in your hunt for the infallible XK*. If you do end up acquiring one, chances are that list will expand.

If you do come back with an X100 actually *in* your garage, I am sure you will be welcomed by the many helpful and knowledgeable people here in your search for your own, concrete solutions.

For now, I really do suggest you give it a rest.
I give it a rest???

It had been over a week since I last posted in this thread before today. Yet people kept bringing the thread back up, usually to whine about my topic, most likely reading only the opening post and skipping to the end. It doesn't seem to me I'm the one not giving it a rest. Maybe people should just grow a bit thicker skin and stop being offended where no offense was meant? Anybody who read the thread has seen my explanations and should know I meant no offense. Those who can't see that, either didn't read through or don't want to see it. Neither of which is my fault. People who initially were skeptical have come to see my intentions are good. There seem to be a few who are too precious about heir cars and refuse to see it. What can I do besides ignore their childish digs?

I already said I will buy a X100, I already said I love the way the car looks. Many owners have said the car is not perfect and it's obviously not. It's up for each to decide if the imperfections are something you want to live with or not. But for that you must first investigate the imperfections. After having done that I still decided to give it a go. If this doesn't show how much I like the car, I don't know what else does.

I posted a compiled list of the problems, as I announced I would do in my last post, for future reference to others and because I still have a few things to clear about the list. I didn't do it to ruffle anybody's feathers. If they are getting ruffled it's their own fault. Stop looking at the thread if it bothers them. As simple as that. It's annoying to have to keep repeating myself. Anybody who thinks I don't like the car and am here to troll is probably not very bright or has a childish personal beef with me. This is why I ignore their replies.

What troll would spend so much time just to troll?

Again, all I have said above I had said before and those who didn't take things personally understood.

This is the last I'm explaining. For those who don't, can't, won't see it, be it. From now on I will only post in this thread in reply to those who want to help or if I have any more questions related to the topic.

Old 08-31-2018, 04:36 PM
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you ever DRIVEN a JAGUAR? Very few cars can compair to it --- and I have driven most of them. Try one --- then make up your mind --- I,m not a past owner --- I own FOUR of these cars now. Plus two corvettes three Mercedes and OH ya --- an XKE coupe! Four are XK8,s

Old 09-01-2018, 01:03 AM
Received 323 Likes on 211 Posts
The following 2 users liked this post by StuG:
CorStevens (09-02-2018), JimmyL (09-01-2018)
Old 09-01-2018, 05:44 AM
Received 243 Likes on 136 Posts

One of my best mates bought a brand new $90k cdn, Merceds Benz SUV , drove it to his summer home and on the way home the steering box separated from the rack on the highway. He was lucky that he and his wife were not killed............................so for heaven's sake don't buy one of those because they are so unreliable

I ,on the other hand, just came back from a 9700 km road trip with my wife in my, under $15k cdn, 15 year old, 200,000km+ XK8. I had a rear wheel bearing get noisy on me about 1/2 way in. Got it fixed and continued on my way. Averaged 8.5L/100km in perfect comfort and timeless style .................absolutely miserable cars these

Old 09-01-2018, 11:30 PM
Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

20 years and 48K miles and never a major problem. Yesterday I lost my power steering fluid - probably a failed hose or connector - so it'll be towed in for the first time. Other than regular service I've done very little in the way of repairs with front bushings being the biggest job after driving on Houston's washboard roads. Most reliable car I've ever owned!

Old 09-02-2018, 02:14 AM
Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

Did he ever buy a XK8/R?

Old 09-02-2018, 07:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,409 Likes on 2,878 Posts

I doubt it. I believe he just wanted to whine but when he received no sympathy, he moved on....

Old 09-02-2018, 03:02 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I just finished reading all 9 pages of this thread. I wish it had not been resurrected.
I'll never get that time back.

I was hoping for some closure that did not come.
But the last post from "hunter" was 5 months ago and no word if he found his x100.

He stated over and over (ad nauseum) that he liked the looks of the x100.
So do I and I like that supercharger whine and the knowledge that it is as original as I can make it.

So the solution would be for him to get a beautifully bodied x100 and drop in a corvette engine and transmission.
But then you're stuck with a beautiful lump. Might be just the ticket.

Old 09-02-2018, 03:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,701 Likes on 1,013 Posts

Originally Posted by Jestocost
".........I was hoping for some closure that did not come.
But the last post from "hunter" was 5 months ago and no word if he found his x100.

He stated over and over (ad nauseum) that he liked the looks of the x100.
So do I and I like that supercharger whine and the knowledge that it is as original as I can make it.

So the solution would be for him to get a beautifully bodied x100 and drop in a corvette engine and transmission.
But then you're stuck with a beautiful lump. Might be just the ticket.
He was just bomb thrower, not a buyer, in my view.

Aside from the gagging reflex I get whenever I think of an American V-8 in any English car, there is this to consider; Corvette engines and transmissions did not get handed down to us from Mt. Olympus from the gods. They were made by fallible men and women, and as such, have their own engineering issues just as we have ours. Just Google "corvette c-4 or c-5, or c-6 (etc) faults. You will get plenty of reading

I considered the C-5 or C-6 Corvette before I landed on the XKR. After a couple of rides in them I crossed them off my list. They have more vibration and rattles than my beloved Shelby's did, and they are 20-40 years newer. Not that fast either, and the ride was worse than my '60's era cars. No thanks.

Z.

Quick Reply: What is it which makes the X100 so unreliable?