Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Sensor is this???

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2019, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Default What Sensor is this???

This is from a 2000 XKR. What sensor is this (circled in red)

and if it is leaking a small amount of oil- could this also be the source of a vacuum leak?

Thanks

Tom in Dallas/Plano

Old 08-25-2019, 11:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,319 Likes on 1,004 Posts

That isn't a sensor. It is the "Part Load Breather" connection. If it is leaking the possibility is that the O-Ring is gone or the breather fitting has a crack. The purpose is to vent the engine blow-by back to the throttle body. Yes it is a source of vacuum leakage. You will need to remove it and examine the connector for cracks and the interior o-ring for damage.
We can help you with the info to replace it if necessary.
To remove the fitting you will need a U shaped tool that is insert to push the 2 straps outward to release the connection. If you don't have one on the fitting you can use needle nose pliers inserted and spread them out to push the straps outward.

Old 08-25-2019, 11:58 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by avern1
That isn't a sensor. It is the "Part Load Breather" connection. If it is leaking the possibility is that the O-Ring is gone or the breather fitting has a crack. The purpose is to vent the engine blow-by back to the throttle body. Yes it is a source of vacuum leakage. You will need to remove it and examine the connector for cracks and the interior o-ring for damage.
We can help you with the info to replace it if necessary.
To remove the fitting you will need a U shaped tool that is insert to push the 2 straps outward to release the connection. If you don't have one on the fitting you can use needle nose pliers inserted and spread them out to push the straps outward.

Thanks. This is on a friend's car who has had the typical p0171 and P0174. He runs at about +19 LFT on both sides when just cruising at any speed and clearly gets to +25 without much effort. NBcat, Brutal and Motorcarman all think it is a large vacuum leak.

What I noticed was a clear indication of an oil film coming from there, not super heavy, but enough to leave a clear indication. The problem I also noticed that will be interesting is that one of the tabs you mention that you pull apart is broken and so any tension or release of tension on one side will be difficult. How does one get it off, if one of the tabs is broken? Could the broken tab be a cause for the leak? Also what is the actual name for this from jags standpoint. Alldata does not seem to know the part.

Thanks

Tom in Dallas/Plano.

Last edited by jazzwineman; 08-26-2019 at 09:21 AM.
Old 08-25-2019, 12:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,801 Likes on 2,236 Posts

High LTFT at cruising speed is not indication of a small air leak. What is the LTFT at idle?

Old 08-25-2019, 01:00 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RJ237
High LTFT at cruising speed is not indication of a small air leak. What is the LTFT at idle?
Thanks- I sent you a PM regarding this.

T

Old 08-26-2019, 02:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,418 Likes on 755 Posts

Jazzwineman,

Part Load Breather part no. #AJ84879 - probably a cracked as it's plastic and been baked in the engine bay. Maybe it's blocked,

Check out this recent thread
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...eather-221250/

Should be able to gently pry it loose even with a tab missing. Be gentle as it's easily cracked and to replace it will need the supercharger, and the air inlet manifold to come off. Some just fix the area around the connection (check thread link post #4 by Johnken).

Old 08-26-2019, 09:08 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DavidYau
Jazzwineman,

Part Load Breather part no. #AJ84879 - probably a cracked as it's plastic and been baked in the engine bay. Maybe it's blocked,

Should be able to gently pry it loose even with a tab missing. Be gentle as it's easily cracked and to replace it will need the supercharger, and the air inlet manifold to come off. Some just fix the area around the connection (check thread link post #4 by Johnken).
Thanks- big time!!! Just before I go look- where does the other end connect to and is it hard to get at?

Tom

Last edited by jazzwineman; 08-26-2019 at 09:47 AM.
Old 08-26-2019, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member

I would tell you, but you asked me not to respond to this thread.

Old 08-26-2019, 10:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,360 Likes on 2,851 Posts

Why would this guy not want your assistance?

Old 08-26-2019, 11:14 AM
Veteran Member

I would tell you, but you asked me not to respond to this thread.
No- I sent you a pm to explain why . I just did not want to walk through things that I had already done- in a multitude of posts and then in pm with NBcat, Motorcarman and Brutal.

If you can tell me the answer to this I would appreciate.

T

T

Old 08-26-2019, 01:05 PM
Veteran Member

I tried to find a diagram but did not succeed. It connects to the throttle body via a tee and then the purge valve in the fender well.

Old 08-26-2019, 01:41 PM
Veteran Member

I tried to find a diagram but did not succeed. It connects to the throttle body via a tee and then the purge valve in the fender well.
Thanks. Could this, since it connects to the purge valve, which I have replaced on his car already, be the source of why his evap. part of the ODBII always stay "inc" no matter how many drive cycles over a number of years?

I know there are some issues on the rear of the car where the canisters are, but could this piece be the cause of both issues???

Thanks

TBB

Old 08-26-2019, 02:09 PM
Veteran Member

The oil around the part loader breather connection tells you all. It is leaking vacuum. The tee to the throttle body is the same as the cam cover connection. The connection to the evap valve is a rubber hose. The leak at the cam cover connection will cause the evap system to malfunction which in turn is going to cause the canisters to saturate and fail. The best solution is to replace the part load breather hose, clear the DTC's and then see what returns before tearing into the evap system.
Replacing the hose is a labor intensive endeavor.

Old 08-26-2019, 02:32 PM
Veteran Member

The oil around the part loader breather connection tells you all. It is leaking vacuum. The tee to the throttle body is the same as the cam cover connection. The connection to the evap valve is a rubber hose. The leak at the cam cover connection will cause the evap system to malfunction which in turn is going to cause the canisters to saturate and fail. The best solution is to replace the part load breather hose, clear the DTC's and then see what returns before tearing into the evap system.
Replacing the hose is a labor intensive endeavor.
Thanks- sounds like loads of fun. You mean you do not have the great shortcut?

TBB

Old 08-26-2019, 03:57 PM
Veteran Member

Hmmmm duct tape? Nah it doesn't like oil. Unfortunately there is no easy method. You have to strip off the supercharger and the intake manifold. That puts in the while I am this far into it I should replace the heater feed and return hose under the manifold, as well as any other hoses that need to be removed. Maybe injector seals, change the supercharger oil, etc, etc,
Sorry but no easy fix.

Go to SNG Barratt.com and download their free parts catalog. It has great pictures of the systems.

Old 08-26-2019, 04:10 PM
Veteran Member

Hmmmm duct tape? Nah it doesn't like oil. Unfortunately there is no easy method. You have to strip off the supercharger and the intake manifold. That puts in the while I am this far into it I should replace the heater feed and return hose under the manifold, as well as any other hoses that need to be removed. Maybe injector seals, change the supercharger oil, etc, etc,
Sorry but no easy fix.

Go to SNG Barratt.com and download their free parts catalog. It has great pictures of the systems.
Sounds like so much fun. I was trying to look at my Alldata account and they do not have it listed as this part. Is there another name and what system is this considered a part of- emissions- air...????

T

Old 08-26-2019, 04:17 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DavidYau
Jazzwineman,

If one were going to try and fix around the area, which makes sense to try that first- considering the work- what would be the fix that you or others would try?

TBB

Old 08-26-2019, 06:48 PM
Veteran Member

Sorry but no easy fix.

Can't you just fish the new one under the manifold by taping it to the old one?

Old 08-28-2019, 08:14 PM
Veteran Member

Can't you just fish the new one under the manifold by taping it to the old one?
I did a PM to Brutal with your question and his response: "YOU DON'T HAVE TO TAPE IT, YOU CAN USUALLY WORK IT UNDER AND OUT"

Tom