XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

What would you consider "too many" miles to consider buying?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2021, 01:05 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default What would you consider "too many" miles to consider buying?

New Forum member and happy to find this!

Just starting a search for either a XK-8 or XKR with a max budget of $25K, although I'd prefer to be more in the $20K range. As I start the hunt, I'm curious what would be "too many" miles to be considered as a potential purchase? Naturally, the fewer miles, the better (presume same with number of prior owners) so I'm guessing under 70,000?

I'm in the process of trying to get smart on XK's, since I've never owned a Jag. I have had an Alfa Romeo, Miata, Honda S2000, and am in the process of selling our 1975 Triumph Spitfire, so not a stranger to older sports cars.

Thanks for any pointers, opinions & suggestions.

The following users liked this post:
Victory (10-28-2021)
Old 10-28-2021, 02:49 PM
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

I’m a new forum member too, but not new to Jaguars.

For that kind of budget, you should be able to get a very late model with low miles. For reference, I just got an ‘06 4.2 Victory convertible with 74K for $13,500. That’s only about 5000 miles a year, so really it’s low mileage. Personally I didn’t want an XKR, 300hp is plenty for me, and no supercharger complexity/expense.

Your problem is likely to be finding one in the model/age/mileage/color combination you really want. But condition is the most important bit to my mind.

The following 2 users liked this post by Victory:
Orthodixie (10-31-2021), SeabeeMike (10-28-2021)
Old 10-28-2021, 03:08 PM
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Hi and welcome!

I'm quite new here too so not much to offer reliably but it seems you should have no problem getting exactly what you want. For reference I just paid $5500 for a 1998 XK8 convertible in Tx with 110k miles. It has quite a long list of things to address. I wish I'd had another $15k to play with!

FWIW my impression is that outright mileage is less important than overall condition. The later models have less problems mechanically so make sure you get something with a good dealer-service history and no rust!

They're certainly more advanced than Miatas and Spitfires and almost as easy to work on! And far more soul than an S2000 :-)

The following 2 users liked this post by Dickiederson:
SeabeeMike (10-28-2021), Victory (10-28-2021)
Old 10-28-2021, 03:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,400 Likes on 1,556 Posts

Mileage is much less important than how the car has been loved over the years.

Look for lots of service history:- not just the annual oil & filter changes, but the age-out items too (think anything made of rubber - suspension, hoses, etc.). Lots of trivial faults could indicate someone who can't be bothered to keep up with the maintenance.

If you find a good candidate, then enlist the help of someone who knows these cars well and a PPI could save you money in the long run.

Be prepared to do much of the ongoing maintenance yourself, unless you have deep pockets.

The following 5 users liked this post by michaelh:
DavidYau (10-29-2021), Johnken (10-28-2021), PKWise (03-25-2022), SeabeeMike (10-28-2021), zray (10-28-2021)
Old 10-28-2021, 03:30 PM
Received 4,319 Likes on 3,732 Posts

low miles is not necessarily a better choice - it just means the car has been treated as a garage queen and never really run through it paces. Do you plan to make it a daily driver or a garage queen only to be taken out on Sunday drives? A low mileage garage queen may need hoses, seals replaced due to dry rot. I'd look for service records, overall condition a well maintained regularly driven specimen. I purchased my 2000 XK8 with 91000 miles on her and currently approaching 187K after 9 years. She is my daily and this forum has been a welcome source of info and support in keeping her on the road

The following 3 users liked this post by sklimii:
SeabeeMike (10-28-2021), Victory (10-28-2021), zray (10-28-2021)
Old 10-28-2021, 04:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,686 Likes on 1,001 Posts

As pointed out, service / repair records and history is the most important guildline. I purchased my ‘02 XKR four years ago with less than 50% of your stated budget.

Thanks to the forum, I was forewarned to look for a car that had already had the known issues of tensioners, coolant pump, and suspension already dealt with by previous owners.

The mileage on my car was 116,000 total mileage when purchased. Now it stands at 173,000+ miles with zero major expenditures by me in the past four years of daily driving usage, and numerous cross country trips.

These cars do not fare well when stored for extended periods of time, with the fuel pumps seizing up as a primary example of issues that come hand in hand with a seldom used XK. A car that is driven regularly is road worthy by definition.

A garage queen is just that; nice to look at, but of doubtful reliability. Every classic “fully restored” garage queen I’ve purchased over the past 50 years has taken a solid 2 years of daily driving to sort out until I could
have confidence in its reliability.

Buy a car that’s been used frequently, if not daily, and you’ll have a solid dependable driver. Buy a low mileage car that’s spent most of its life sitting, and you’ll be the one sorting it rather than driving it.

Z

Last edited by zray; 10-28-2021 at 04:52 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by zray:
CA Jag (10-29-2021), Mark Anthony (11-26-2021), piper 888 (10-29-2021), SeabeeMike (10-28-2021)
Old 10-28-2021, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by sklimii
low miles is not necessarily a better choice - it just means the car has been treated as a garage queen and never really run through it paces. Do you plan to make it a daily driver or a garage queen only to be taken out on Sunday drives? A low mileage garage queen may need hoses, seals replaced due to dry rot. I'd look for service records, overall condition a well maintained regularly driven specimen. I purchased my 2000 XK8 with 91000 miles on her and currently approaching 187K after 9 years. She is my daily and this forum has been a welcome source of info and support in keeping her on the road
That's great to know. This will be my 2 - 3 days a week driver. Being retired, we don't seem to drive nearly as much as we used to. On the other hand, we're definitely looking forward to having a car we won't mind taking on the interstates or trips. Those two things aren't really an option in the Spitfire.

Old 10-28-2021, 05:20 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SeabeeMike
”…… On the other hand, we're definitely looking forward to having a car we won't mind taking on the interstates or trips. Those two things aren't really an option in the Spitfire.

that really depends more on your age & condition than the Spitfire’s ability. With lovely girlfriend by my side, my Spitfire (with the electric overdrive option) made a cross-country journey from Norman Oklahoma to Seattle Washington, then down the Pacific coastline all the way to Tijuana Mexico, then back to Norman Oklahoma without a mechanical mishap over the entire 5,000+ miles.

Many years have passed since that special journey and I’ve grown soft(er). But the Spitfire is more durable than it’s given credit for. I have no doubt a well maintained Spitfire could make the same trip today.

Especially with an agreeable gal to navigate

The following 3 users liked this post by zray:
Dickiederson (10-28-2021), michaelh (10-28-2021), SeabeeMike (10-28-2021)
Old 10-28-2021, 06:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,810 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Mike - you made me smile when you mentioned driving 2 or 3 times a week. If you're anything like me, that's gonna change when you get into your new jaguar! Just too fun to drive. . .

Enjoy yourself mate.

The following 2 users liked this post by Johnken:
SeabeeMike (10-28-2021), Victory (10-29-2021)
Old 10-28-2021, 08:53 PM
Received 243 Likes on 136 Posts

I bought mine with 4 yeasr ago with about 113,000 miles on it. Pretty much zero maintanance history but the body was 100% rust free. I am fairly handy with cars and my son in law is a career mechanic. I have done regular maintenance , changed hoses etc but have had no problems otherwise.

SeabeeMike (10-28-2021)
Old 10-28-2021, 09:07 PM
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by zray
that really depends more on your age & condition than the Spitfire’s ability. With lovely girlfriend by my side, my Spitfire (with the electric overdrive option) made a cross-country journey from Norman Oklahoma to Seattle Washington, then down the Pacific coastline all the way to Tijuana Mexico, then back to Norman Oklahoma without a mechanical mishap over the entire 5,000+ miles.

Many years have passed since that special journey and I’ve grown soft(er). But the Spitfire is more durable than it’s given credit for. I have no doubt a well maintained Spitfire could make the same trip today.

An 'Agreeable gal who Navigates'....??!!! What is this sorcery you speak of?!?!?

1 of 19 (10-29-2021)
Old 10-28-2021, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by zray

We love the Spitfire but my neck / back issues just make it too painful these days. It has been a fantastic and reliable car though.

Old 10-28-2021, 09:17 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Dickiederson
An 'Agreeable gal who Navigates'....??!!! What is this sorcery you speak of?!?!?
oh to be young again, the young woman I spoke of was the proverbial “one that got away”. Hindsight is 20/20, right ? No do-overs.

We love the Spitfire but my neck / back issues just make it too painful these days. It has been a fantastic and reliable car though.
I'm with you 100%. Decades and lifetimes have come and gone since my Spitfire and TR-4a cross country adventures. My deteriorating back and associated nerve damage from falling off too many motorcycles 40+ years ago is the reason I’m now driving a comfortable ’02 XKR instead of my previous daily driver, a ‘66 Shelby GT-350.

Z

The following 2 users liked this post by zray:
Dickiederson (10-28-2021), SeabeeMike (10-29-2021)
Old 10-29-2021, 05:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 735 Likes on 470 Posts

Originally Posted by Dickiederson
I have an agreeable gal who "Naga-gates".

SeabeeMike (10-29-2021)
Old 10-29-2021, 07:25 AM
Received 282 Likes on 164 Posts

A garage queen could be fine if it has been driven periodically. I will echo that condition is king and not just low miles. Mine is not a daily driver as having one of these is a really big deal to me. However, I've learned enough that like people sitting around doing nothing isn't good for long. So mine gets used in a timely manner even if it's just nice days. I would have been taking it to NC for the meet up at Wayne's Garage from Ohio had we been able to hold the event. What a pleasure to drive and brings many smiles per mile. You will enjoy yours too. Good luck, TM

"03 Conv. 85k

SeabeeMike (10-29-2021)
Old 10-29-2021, 07:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,390 Likes on 2,866 Posts

I may finally be able to convince my wife to sell her beloved 2006 XK8 Victory Edition convertible. We have owned it since early February 2012, purchased at 36,000 miles (sold new in California and later moved to Florida which is where we found it). Built in May 2005, it was one of the last of its kind. It served as her daily driver until late October 2018 when she decided to go back to a more practical SUV which better fit her needs. Since then it has been a year-round toy averaging about 1,500 miles annually. It currently has 122,800 well-cared-for miles and I have meticulous records of everything that it has required....

If you are interested, contact me mid-next week via PM. She is currently out of town and is scheduled to return late Monday....

Last edited by Jon89; 10-29-2021 at 07:44 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jon89:
SeabeeMike (10-29-2021), sklimii (10-30-2021)
Old 10-29-2021, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Victory
I’m a new forum member too, but not new to Jaguars.

For that kind of budget, you should be able to get a very late model with low miles. For reference, I just got an ‘06 4.2 Victory convertible with 74K for $13,500. That’s only about 5000 miles a year, so really it’s low mileage. Personally I didn’t want an XKR, 300hp is plenty for me, and no supercharger complexity/expense.

Your problem is likely to be finding one in the model/age/mileage/color combination you really want. But condition is the most important bit to my mind.
I just discovered that my envisioned Max budget of $25K could potentially get us into the 5.0 L generation XK. Interesting!

Old 10-29-2021, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by michaelh
Mileage is much less important than how the car has been loved over the years.

Look for lots of service history:- not just the annual oil & filter changes, but the age-out items too (think anything made of rubber - suspension, hoses, etc.). Lots of trivial faults could indicate someone who can't be bothered to keep up with the maintenance.

If you find a good candidate, then enlist the help of someone who knows these cars well and a PPI could save you money in the long run.

Be prepared to do much of the ongoing maintenance yourself, unless you have deep pockets.
We were fortunate when we bought the Spitfire from Gulfport, MS (we were in Williamsburg, VA) to have a buddy of mine in the area, who had restored multiple British cars and owned a TR6 go check the car out and drive it for us.

I've seen there's a few used car inspection services out there (similar to RV inspectors) but curious if they have enough depth of knowledge for a Jaguar. The other option could be a possible club member close by who could help us out.

Thoughts / advice?

Old 10-29-2021, 12:27 PM
Received 4,319 Likes on 3,732 Posts

Is your search focused in SC or are you looking outside of SC? I know members in SC have looked at vehicles for others and if in the Charleston area - have a good friend who has been a Jag mechanic for over 25 years - does work on mine when things get beyond my skill set. I know of other out of state forum members who have looked at cars for fellow members or can suggest a mechanic to conduct a prepurchase inspection - so lot of options to assist

Not sure if you are aware - The Coventry Foundation is located in Columbia/Lexington area - check it out when you have time - great little place for history of Jag along with some stunning examples of the various models

SeabeeMike (10-29-2021)
Old 10-29-2021, 01:03 PM
Received 204 Likes on 144 Posts

I just discovered that my envisioned Max budget of $25K could potentially get us into the 5.0 L generation XK. Interesting!
For 16-20 (out here) there's also the 07-09 XK. Skip the 07 (first year of production, power antenna, later years embedded). Has the 4.2/6 and known to be very reliable.
Having said that, nothing beats a XK8 for great looks and classy comfort.

Victory (10-29-2021)

Quick Reply: What would you consider "too many" miles to consider buying?