XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

What would you consider "too many" miles to consider buying?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2021, 01:20 PM
Received 204 Likes on 144 Posts

Prices on XK8's are all over the place. Victory, out here, your 06 would be 18-19 private sale. There's a private Seafrost 06 (46) outside of SF but asking is 20 firm. I'm looking for a nice second gen XK8. Missed an excellent Midwest 03 (47) for 13k owned by a Jagaholic. Local buyer w/ cash will always win. Dealer and "classic online" prices are ridiculous. Suggests on places to look (other than Craigs or dealers) appreciated.

Old 10-29-2021, 01:48 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sklimii
Is your search focused in SC or are you looking outside of SC? I know members in SC have looked at vehicles for others and if in the Charleston area - have a good friend who has been a Jag mechanic for over 25 years - does work on mine when things get beyond my skill set. I know of other out of state forum members who have looked at cars for fellow members or can suggest a mechanic to conduct a prepurchase inspection - so lot of options to assist

Not sure if you are aware - The Coventry Foundation is located in Columbia/Lexington area - check it out when you have time - great little place for history of Jag along with some stunning examples of the various models
Thanks - that is awesome info!!! Of course, close would be best to see / drive the car first hand but not restricting ourselves to solely SC. Next week is the big push to get the 75 Spitfire ready for "marketing" and sale. It needs to go to make room for the yet to be found Jag. I kept a screen shot if your reply as a reference for later. Thanks again!

Old 10-29-2021, 03:47 PM
Received 4,319 Likes on 3,732 Posts

I will keep my eyes out around here and let you know of any prospects

The following users liked this post:
SeabeeMike (10-29-2021)
Old 10-29-2021, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by sklimii
I will keep my eyes out around here and let you know of any prospects
Thanks, greatly appreciate it!

Old 10-29-2021, 07:51 PM
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SeabeeMike
I just discovered that my envisioned Max budget of $25K could potentially get us into the 5.0 L generation XK. Interesting!
But what do you want? In fairness, I could have bought a brand new F-Type, assuming I could find one. But it’s not what I want to spend that kind of money on, and the car isn’t as practical as I would need it to be.

I wanted an XK8, or possibly R. I like the Spitfire dash, the E-Type looks. The XK doesn’t have either. Yes it’s newer, so hence I looked for an ‘06 Victory XK8.

In your shoes, I’d have Jon89’s arm off, but that’s just me… what do YOU want?

The following 2 users liked this post by Victory:
SeabeeMike (10-29-2021), zray (10-29-2021)
Old 10-29-2021, 09:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,686 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Another consideration would be to calculate the resources that may be called upon to deal with known issues of the various years of manufacture. From tensioners to transmissions to fuel pumps to cooling to suspensions, there are specific weak points specific to all individual years of the X-100, and the X-150’s as well.

It is prudent for a potential owner to acquaint themselves with the potential shortcomings of each year and what it would cost to deal with these issues, not if, but when the need arises.

Many of the surviving XK’s have by necessity have had many of these known faults already remedied. These are the cars that should rise to the top of any short list, independent of displayed mileage.

Do you have more affinity for a low mileage car that’s never had occasion to need these repairs, (yet). Or is a
high mileage, but throughly sorted car more appealing ? Unless a car comes with a repair history that includes the more costly repairs, it may be prudent to save 50% of your budget for repairs that are likely to be needed at some point.

Z

Last edited by zray; 10-29-2021 at 09:37 PM.
SeabeeMike (10-30-2021)
Old 10-29-2021, 10:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 475 Likes on 311 Posts

This Spring I bought a 2017 vehicle with only 30,000 miles on it. It is a big American cross over. That is only a little over 7,000 miles a year. Don't know why the mileage was so low, but with the Pandemic, there was a lot of cars sitting around. Most four year old cars would have had at least 50,000 miles. While I don't mind high mileage, my own '96 Mustang now has 215K, it didn't cost me much. On a Jag, time alone will deteriorate many of the rubber and plastic components but the basic mechanicals like engine and transmission should hold up. Especially with timely maintenance. With a car between ten to fifteen years old I'd like to see a well documented service history. Since April, I've put over 9,000 miles on my purchase. I'm going to get my moneys worth out of it.
Good luck with your search.

Old 10-30-2021, 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by zray
Another consideration would be to calculate the resources that may be called upon to deal with known issues of the various years of manufacture. From tensioners to transmissions to fuel pumps to cooling to suspensions, there are specific weak points specific to all individual years of the X-100, and the X-150’s as well.

It is prudent for a potential owner to acquaint themselves with the potential shortcomings of each year and what it would cost to deal with these issues, not if, but when the need arises.

Many of the surviving XK’s have by necessity have had many of these known faults already remedied. These are the cars that should rise to the top of any short list, independent of displayed mileage.

Do you have more affinity for a low mileage car that’s never had occasion to need these repairs, (yet). Or is a
high mileage, but throughly sorted car more appealing ? Unless a car comes with a repair history that includes the more costly repairs, it may be prudent to save 50% of your budget for repairs that are likely to be needed at some point.

Z
Thanks. You hit on a topic that has become more of a concern, the more I research. The Jag will replace our 1975 Triumph Spitfire. The Spitfire has literally every part on it available from multiple after market sources and is pretty much simplicity at best. Sadly, my chronic neck & back issues (4 fusions with another very likely) have made the car no longer feasible.

I discovered the XK in an article I recently read about great older sports cars to consider. I loved the lines and, never having had a Jag, considered it a strong contender. Having had BMW, Mercedes, Mini, S2000, Miata, & Alfa Romeo, Jag seemed like a great name to add to our list. I test drove a 2002 XK-8 locally and loved the car! The lines, the comfort, the handling, the acceleration, etc - loved everything about it.

Back to your comments. Clearly, maintenance & repairs on these cars is not the same as the Spitfire. Admittedly, that has caused some definite concerns. While I enjoy turning wrenches, I'm not an ASE certified mechanic. I've heard of people who've only had to do routine maintenance and are going strong at over 150K miles (see posts above) to a friend of a friend, who owns a Sports & Imports repair shop saying do not buy a Jag!

What ever I zero in on absolutely needs a strong providence & major records of maintenance. Thanks again for your insight.

Old 11-02-2021, 01:38 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by zray
As pointed out, service / repair records and history is the most important guildline. I purchased my ‘02 XKR four years ago with less than 50% of your stated budget.

Thanks to the forum, I was forewarned to look for a car that had already had the known issues of tensioners, coolant pump, and suspension already dealt with by previous owners.

The mileage on my car was 116,000 total mileage when purchased. Now it stands at 173,000+ miles with zero major expenditures by me in the past four years of daily driving usage, and numerous cross country trips.

These cars do not fare well when stored for extended periods of time, with the fuel pumps seizing up as a primary example of issues that come hand in hand with a seldom used XK. A car that is driven regularly is road worthy by definition.

A garage queen is just that; nice to look at, but of doubtful reliability. Every classic “fully restored” garage queen I’ve purchased over the past 50 years has taken a solid 2 years of daily driving to sort out until I could
have confidence in its reliability.

Buy a car that’s been used frequently, if not daily, and you’ll have a solid dependable driver. Buy a low mileage car that’s spent most of its life sitting, and you’ll be the one sorting it rather than driving it.

Z
My wife and I recently bought a 2010 XK with only 11,000 miles. The car has always been garaged and looks like brand new. It's been thoroughly gone over by Jaguar trained mechanics and pronounced to be in excellent health. I would have no qualms about driving it cross country. We also have a 2015 Genesis with the 5.0l engine. It has only 24,000 miles and runs and looks like new. Always garaged.
There are low mileage cars that are well worth buying. On the other hand, I have a 1996 Corvette that has only 47,000 miles on it and in the last 6 months I've replaced the starter motor, the driver's side cat, repaired the headliner, replaced a couple of cracked trim pieces, replaced the weather stripping. I think it's pretty well sorted for the time being, but who knows.
My point is high mileage, low mileage, with a used car you give it a good going over but still you are rolling the dice.

SeabeeMike (11-02-2021)