XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

What is your occupation and age?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 05:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,442 Likes on 772 Posts

Wow, I was not expecting so many project managers... Maybe I should switch careers?

The following users liked this post:
89 Jacobra (04-07-2019)
Old 04-01-2019, 06:29 PM
Received 4,319 Likes on 3,732 Posts

giandanielxk8 - I'm 56 and still don't know what I want to be when I grow up - so you're young - plenty of time to figure life out. Didn't start out as a PM - was a nuclear operator on a submarine, then was an electronics tech, then Help Desk then help desk manager and finally into project management but will see where I go in the next year or so

Old 04-01-2019, 07:44 PM
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

One of the senior members here, age 73. My first car was a hand me down '59 Hillman Husky, built in the environs of Coventry. After which, somehow, as a high school senior I managed to convince my parents to finance a '55 XK140MC drophead coupe that I owned for a couple of years. It became the first of ten Jaguars I have owned (see my signature) including four of them at one time: an XJ6C, another XK140 DHC and two early E-Types. I've also owned several other Brit exports from Coventry, two Spitfires, a GT6 and a TR4A.
I have been a retired HR executive for over a decade and try to DIY most of the required work on the two Coventry products that I currently own: my '99 XK8 coupe and '74 Triumph Spitfire 1500. I also own several Detroit products and a near mint '95 Honda 450 Night Hawk that I restored with much help from a good friend.
As several of you have mentioned, DIY work gets progressively harder as we age, so any major work will have to be performed by a local shop, Smaller jobs have been done with lots of help from the contributors on this Forum.

Old 04-01-2019, 09:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,686 Likes on 1,001 Posts

I bought an XKR because it was the best car I could find in the entire USA under $9,000. Well under $9,000. I wasn't even looking for a Jaguar when I started out.

I'm currently retired, and trying hard to stay that way. My first Jaguars were e types bought in the late 1970's. I had a '67 and a '70, both OTS.
Prior to those I'd owned numerous english sport cars, mainly Triumph's. All, including the Jags, were daily drivers and were driven as hard as possible and still be able to stay out of jail.

I drove all the cars cross country many times, never had a single break-down.

What is your occupation and age?-ayrnijj.jpg

Z

Last edited by zray; 04-01-2019 at 09:20 PM.
Old 04-01-2019, 09:34 PM
Received 96 Likes on 39 Posts

I'm 65, retired four years ago after a 37-year career spent mostly in California state government as policy analyst/advisor/expert on public education policy and finance. Bought my 2005 XKR coupe a little over two years ago with 53,000 mi on the odometer. Try to do as much work on it as I can (with much assistance from this forum). Best car I've ever owned -- plan to keep it as long as I can!

Old 04-02-2019, 08:59 AM
Received 286 Likes on 183 Posts

I'm a 42 Y/O manual laborer in a refractory plant. The XK8 is my second Jag, although the first one I've actually had on the road lol! I had always wanted a Jag (one of my favorite hot wheels when I was little was an XJS coupe). I, however, told myself that if I ever got one it would have to be a convertible in British racing green with tan top and interior. Then as a teen the XK8 came out! I again said if I ever got one, the XK8 had to be a coupe in British racing green with tan interior. I was involved in a major motorcycle accident a couple of years ago, which I came out of surprisingly well. I think my size and shape helped, but I still thank God for keeping his hand over me. Needless to say,the wife said she really didn't want me riding anymore and I started looking for an alternative. I found a 1978 Mercedes Sl450 and was considering it. I told my one friend at work and he said "I thought you were a Jag man". Oh yeah! I can look for a Jag! I looked and sure enough there was a project 1993 XJS for sale for cheap, and low and behold it was a convertible in BRG and tan! Woooooooo hoooooo! I started working on it and then while looking around the one day sure enough a 1997 XK8 coupe in, you guessed it, BRG and tan popped up for sale for cheap! I messaged the guy and sure enough he said it was sold. Phew, I thought" ok I don't have to explain another car to the wife 😂". I went home and showed it to the wife and she went oh. Two days later I was out working on the XJS and I got an email from the guy saying that the other guy backed out and I was next in line.😮 I walked over to the wife and said "I just got a bad email" she said "about the Jag, I saw it too". First she said, "well I'll make a deal with you, you can get it if you get rid of the XJS". I said "I can't promise that". So we talked a little about it. After promising to do stuff around the house she agreed that I could go look at it! Needless to say I own and love it! It's not perfect but it's mine. Wow! Sorry I ramble on sometimes! Lol

The following users liked this post:
Markel (09-26-2020)
Old 04-02-2019, 09:22 AM
Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

53 years young and a Head Accountant for our county council, who ive worked for since I was 16. Got my cat in 2012, which is my first Jag. It will also be my last - unless I win the lottery... then its F-type time! How long I keep it for I'm not sure. Every year I seem to be contemplating selling her on, but I never seem to be serious enough about it. Do as much DIY as I can, which isn't huge. Local Indy has looked after the car for 6 years, and is a jag owner and enthusiast.

Last edited by Redeye; 04-02-2019 at 09:26 AM.
Old 04-02-2019, 10:16 PM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

41 entrepreneur and part time day trader. Owned a 68 e-type sold it to buy a DB9. Currently own LR4, f150 raptor, bmw 850, DB9 and the 2003 XKR. No problems and stil running strong!

Have to admit i only drive it 2000k a year. Love the brand, but my Aston is my favourite of them all.

Old 04-03-2019, 06:24 AM
Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm 43 and a physician with a love of British cars and cars in general I have a 2002 XKR convertible, a 2009 Land Rover LR3, and a '67 Corvette Stingray. Skeena river rover, a DB9 (a colleague of mine has one in Elusive Blue and man it is a gorgeous car) and an e-type are both on my lust-list, but I love what I have now. Personally I prefer the styling of the X100's over the newer XK's and the LR3/LR4 body style over the newer ones. I realize all of the newer cars will likely drive better but I will admit I'm a slave to styling.

My dad has a 1974 Panther J72 (a few of you may know what this is) that has not been on the road in at least 25 years. I may get this from him and take on a new project.

Rob

Last edited by crtfour; 04-03-2019 at 06:28 AM.
Old 04-03-2019, 06:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,419 Likes on 755 Posts

Crtfour - I presume the Panther is the old fashioned open 2 seater British roadster not the later 1/2 Korean glass fibre Lotus wannabes. If you take the Panther on, now that will be a project! As you're only 43 yrs old, it's good to see that you're already planning what to do when you retire.

Old 04-03-2019, 06:58 AM
Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

68 going on 69. Retired after 48 years in the Merchant Marine (I am an ex-pat Brit, so 'Merchant Navy' over there!). I was a senior Electrical & Electronics officer, so I have no problem dealing with electronic issues on the car (2001 XK-8 ragtop) and I have learnt a lot about the mechanics mostly with the help of this fine forum. I don't think I would have purchased the car if I hadn't joined up here beforehand.

Old 04-03-2019, 07:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 561 Posts

Originally Posted by sklimii
giandanielxk8 - I'm 56 and still don't know what I want to be when I grow up - so you're young - plenty of time to figure life out. Didn't start out as a PM - was a nuclear operator on a submarine, then was an electronics tech, then Help Desk then help desk manager and finally into project management but will see where I go in the next year or so
This seems really common in my experience; you don't always plan where you end up, but that doesn't mean you aren't happy and fulfilled.

I've worked my entire career as by far the youngest person in my department or group; as a software engineer. Most coworkers were within 10 years of retirement. I've had bosses who were the following backgrounds: machinist, custodian, packaging engineer, industrial engineer, software architect, electronics control tech and elevator mechanic. The best boss I ever had said this:

We are all grown children who pretend to be adults until we retire and pretend to be kids again.

Old 04-03-2019, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by DavidYau
Crtfour - I presume the Panther is the old fashioned open 2 seater British roadster not the later 1/2 Korean glass fibre Lotus wannabes. If you take the Panther on, now that will be a project! As you're only 43 yrs old, it's good to see that you're already planning what to do when you retire.
Yes sir it looks like a kit but it's not. It was made by the Panther corporation to look like the SS100 and it rides on an e-type chassis. I think that only 300-something were produced and only around 125 made it to the US. It's one of those cars that seems to be extremely rare but not really worth a tremendous amount. As for the project it will either be a success, I will pull my hair out, or my wife will kill me...hopefully the first scenario.

I tried to upload a picture of one but the process keeps stopping at 90%.

Old 04-03-2019, 10:21 AM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I had a lr3 before the lr4. The lr4 is a much better car. More refined and you don't have the problems i use to have with the lr3. The LR3 air suspicion problems, rear swayer problems, electrical issues etc. Yes i agree the new line of land rover is horrendous! So il keep the lr4 for now. Maybe buy the last model year at some point.
Db9 is just a car every British car lover should own once in your life. Great car and it's cheaper to run then my XKR! The Xkr (2003) starting to show some issues. The 2007 db9, is still problem free.

Old 04-03-2019, 11:29 AM
Received 107 Likes on 81 Posts
Default LR3 vs LR4

I agree that the LR4 is better mechanically and has a better interior but I much prefer the more restrained exterior styling of the LR3. I would consider an LR4 in the last year of the 5-liter V8 but, as my wife has fits if I get any brush scratches on it, what's the point. I therefor have my sights on a Jaguar XF Sportbrake next.

Granville

Old 04-03-2019, 02:11 PM
Received 72 Likes on 61 Posts

78. Lifetime days pay mechanic. Therefore could never afford anything but old used Jags. Have owned over 10, still have 98 XK8 conv and 05 Vanden Plas. They are not perfect, but we all must enjoy the challenge. Have done all work myself other than an on the road fuel pump replacement on my 01 XKR and security system ign. lockout on the current Vanden Plas. 1975 XJ8L, 1985 XJS V12, A couple of 84 VDPs, A couple of 99 VDPs, 97 XK8 conv 01 XKR conv, 01 XK8 conv, 05 VDP

Old 04-03-2019, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by zray
I bought an XKR because it was the best car I could find in the entire USA under $9,000. Well under $9,000. I wasn't even looking for a Jaguar when I started out.

I'm currently retired, and trying hard to stay that way. My first Jaguars were e types bought in the late 1970's. I had a '67 and a '70, both OTS.
Prior to those I'd owned numerous english sport cars, mainly Triumph's. All, including the Jags, were daily drivers and were driven as hard as possible and still be able to stay out of jail.

I drove all the cars cross country many times, never had a single break-down.

Z

Wow great picture. What year was that taken? I love looking at pics of these now classic cars when they were just used as "regular cars".

Old 04-04-2019, 12:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 654 Posts
Smile To those who Own an XK8/XKR,,Be Happy!!

My Car story starts when I was 9 years old! My Granddad gave me my 1st Car...A 1936 Ford 4dr V8 3 Spd . 3 weeks later, because I lived on a Farm/Ranch, I was able to get my Driver's License! The Driver's License Guy told me that I drove better than most of the Guys twice my age! The next Summer, I went as far as Montana on the Wheat Harvest driving a Wheat Truck and then the next year I started driving a Combine. I did this each Summer until I went to College. During that time I was able to order myself a 1953 Corvette, 1st one in the North Texas area....As time went by, I had a 56 Chevy Del Ray Coupe with a Corvette Engine (265ci), which was actually larger than my 4.2 Liter XKR Engine, 225 HP, 2 4-Barrel Carbs and Dual Ignition...Then a 1957 Bel Aire Hard-Top (Black/Red), which I had while going to College and time spent in the Marine Corps.....So, back then I was a Chevy Guy but always wanted an XK-120....As time went by, I had a couple Grand Prix's and 2 Trans Am's and don't forget the 69 & 70 Corvettes! Wow! 454ci ..Then, I became a VW Guy, bought an 80 VW Pick-up, which wound up with a TurboCharged 84 GTI Engine and Tranny...also a 64 Bug with a 2.4 Fuel injected Engine! As life continued, one day in the Spring of 1998 while in London, I saw a BRG 1997 or 98 XK8 Coupe driving down the wrong-side of the Street and my Heart went "WOW"! So, my first Jaguar was a Topaz 1998 Coupe! The story started there and then moved to the 2000 XKR Anthracite Mica Coupe, then on to the to the 2003 Onyx XKR Coupe and now the 2005 Onyx/Ivory XKR Coupe. I now have over 100,000 Miles on the 2005 which at 55,000 miles, I did a bunch of things to the Engine and S/C System.. I think I was about 76 or 77 then.
I've been an Insurance Agent for 45 years and turned 82 last December...Still go to the Office each day in my XKR and I'm still having a Good Time! I worked on "Sweet Sugar" this past Week-end and installed the Switch that stops the Antenna from going up and down...Going to replace the Bulbs in the Dash with different LED's this coming Saturday! I did this a couple years ago but they didn't have LED's for the bottom row at that time.....

Good Luck to all you young men and your XK8/XKR's! Take good care of them....You can't buy a new X-100 anymore.......and it's hard to find the parts that you need!

Billy Clyde in Houston

Last edited by bcprice36; 04-04-2019 at 12:17 AM. Reason: Spelling and added some stuff
Old 04-04-2019, 05:27 AM
GGG
Received 16,865 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Summary to post #38

Graham

Last edited by GGG; 04-04-2019 at 05:43 AM.
Old 04-04-2019, 06:18 AM
Received 105 Likes on 65 Posts

Late 60's, retired Quality Assurance Engineer for a Defense Contractor. This is my second Jag, the first being a 76 XJ12C (now that was a fun car). Owned lots of British cars over the years and worked on most of them. the older I get, the less inclined I am to work on them, good mechanic up the road a bit that is very good with Jags.

Of all the Brits I've owned, my 98 XK8 convertible is my second favorite. Smooth, quiet, handles well and is plenty fast for me and an attention getter to this day.

My all time favorite?? I still miss my 59 Austin Healey "Frog Eye" Sprite, easy to work on, a blast to drive. A tad bit underpowered as it had the 948cc engine but always got lots of attention whenever I took it out.

Quick Reply: What is your occupation and age?