XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

What is your occupation and age?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2019, 08:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,108 Likes on 764 Posts

I am 39 and an engineering manager at a big semiconductor company, Spend my days building custom manufacturing equipment to test computer chips.

First British car was a 65 Sunbeam Alpine way back in high school. My dad owned a body shop and restoring your first car was almost a family right of passage. It had a few little upgrades like brakes that worked and the usual Lucas quirks like a gas gauge that didn't.

No idea why I latched on to a Sunbeam, I saw one and just couldn't let go of the idea. Kids just don't have good sense I guess. Adults must not have any sense either, at least not me, because now I have a Sunbeam Tiger project that I am starting on. Seems like the older I get, and the more disposable income I have, the less sense I have when it comes to cars.

Beyond that I had mainly smaller and "sportier" vehicles over the years, Fiero, Ford Contour, GTI, Mini Cooper S, MazdaSpeed3, hot hatch kind of things, all standard shift and of no particular nationality. There was one detour I took into Lincoln Mark VIII for a while. It was cheap and I needed a car but there was something about a big GT coupe that stuck with me. For whatever reason I always kind of liked that car, even though I could not point to any good reason to like it.

When I finally outgrew the hatchbacks and started looking for something more substantial to drive, the XKR caught my attention. Nice curves, V8, a supercharger and it scratched the British car itch. Found one that needed some love, found this forum to help me love it and have been fiddling with it ever since.

I probably DIY half of the car projects, things that can be done from the top side or without getting the car too high up, including installing the twin screw kit. Big stuff like dropping a subframe I have a nearby shop I found through another forum member to help with. Maybe some day if I get a proper lift, I will do those things too.

There is just something about British cars, Jags in particular that makes them a bit special and appeal to a certain type.

Old 04-07-2019, 09:02 AM
Received 159 Likes on 87 Posts

I clicked on this thread out of curiosity. Seems like occupations, age etc... has no real bearing other than a love for Jaguars. As far as a professions I have had my fair share over my 57 years. Started out at 16 doing plumbing as an apprentice, USAF for 12 years as an aircraft mechanic, stock broker for wall street firm then banking as an investment adviser, Transmission shop owner, Sales manager for a car dealer, then owned a home remodeling business for almost 15 years. Financially in decent shape but, I cannot retire at this point. Wife and I relocated to Myrtle Beach SC a few years ago and we love the area, taxes and nice weather but, I still need to figure out what I want to be when I grow up.

I got the bug for a Jaguar about three years ago. At that time I had a supercharged 1998 Mustang Saleen convertible with 16k original miles. Was a crazy fast great looking car but, it just wasn't me. Driving position was tight and I always felt the interior was very basic/cheap. I always thought Jaguars were some of the coolest cars on the road and decided to buy an xk or xk8. Having a decent budget for either model I decided I wanted an xk8. Just thought the design and lines of the car was what I always thought a Jaguar should look like.

So I found my 2003 XK8 online several states away and made an offer on it. I have owned bought and sold over 30 cars in my life and broke all the rules when I found my Jag. The car was being sold from a small used car dealer in NC with four previous owners as well as an accident listed on Carfax. First time I ever saw the car was when the transporter dropped it in my driveway. With no plates and keys in my hand I had to drive it. Within a half mile of being behind the wheel I knew I found my forever car.

I joined this forum when I first got the car and quickly got a strong dose of reality with WTF I had just done.

But, have to admit I guess I got lucky. The car has been extremely reliable and thanks to this forum I have been able to tackle all stupid gremlins this car has thrown at me. You know the usual suspects: thermostat housing, plastic parts in the cooling system, fuel rail sensor, accordion air intake, etc... At the end of the day this is my car period.

Doing 80 with the top down on twisty roads is indescribable. I have never owned a car that puts a smile on my face every mile I drive it. I guess it's a Jaguar thing!

Cheers!

Andrew

Old 04-07-2019, 11:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,193 Likes on 692 Posts

60 years young, and Heck No I'll Never Grow UP!!! Been a Mechanic, Machinist, Truck Driver, Transportation Director, most of my life with a few other things thrown in just to round me out. The story's to long to tell. I've never made a ton of money, so I will have to wait until full retirement age, of 66 years, and 8 months. Then I'll get to play with my cars every day if I want to! There won't be any of this Couch Potato Crap for me! I still got lots of things to build!!! You Never Lose Until You Quit Trying. So Far, I Don't See That Happening!

Jack

The following users liked this post:
bcprice36 (04-07-2019)
Old 04-07-2019, 12:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 654 Posts

Charley,

I've been waiting to hear from you concerning the twin-screw set-up...You've been pretty quiet about it and I'd like to hear about the performance it makes and about the system in general...I really wanted one but at the time my XKR was having ECU problems and by the time I got that worked out Andre had shut it down...

Would you do it again?
What problems have you had if any?

Billy Clyde in Houston

Old 04-07-2019, 06:01 PM
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

54 going on 27. I'm another (cough, cough) Project Manager In Business Intelligence and Data Science for a "three letter US government agency". In high school I had an MG Midget, a '69 Triumph GT6+, and a '74 Spitfire - needed all three so that I had at least one running at any given time. Jaguars where just a normal progression as I aged and found it more and more difficult to get my 6'1" 240 lbs carcass into a Midget or Spitfire. Currently in the "fun car" category are the 2002 XKR, a '83 Vanden Plas getting LS1 lumped, a '67 MGB GT and '74 MGB Roadster. Finding it harder to motivate myself to get out in the garage and work on keeping them running rather than surfing this board.

Old 04-09-2019, 06:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 478 Likes on 323 Posts

I guess I will put my .02 worth in at this point. First car was a 1952 Triumph TR2. This after starting to drive on the farm at age 8 on the Ford 8N tractor, farm truck and all. Had to work on everything around the farm, so DYI just came naturally. Had planned to go to medical school, but found too many parties at UGA, so, when graduation came, and no medical school acceptance, Uncle Sam had a job for me, a personal letter in the form of a Draft notice. Instead I volunteered, joined the Air Force, learned to fly, years later became a commercial pilot.
Over the years I have owned Corvettes, Mustangs, Mini Coopers, El Camino, Cadillacs, and now and FType and an XK8. I love the Styling of the XK and never fail to get thumbs up whenever I drive either of the Jags.
I DYI when I can, but now at age 72, I prefer to leave the heavy work to the ones who have the tools. My garage is limited in size and tools, and I prefer to drive more, and wrench less.

Old 04-09-2019, 10:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,686 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Originally Posted by crtfour
Wow great picture. What year was that taken? I love looking at pics of these now classic cars when they were just used as "regular cars".
the photo was taken in 1979 or 1980. Minutes before it was snapped, I had just finished replacing the head gasket and some of the valves. Yes, I did it in the driveway ! all in one day. The next day I got up early and drove the e type non-stop, except for gas and bathroom breaks from Norman Oklahoma to Santa Monica, California. About 1,400 miles. It took me 16 hours, averaging about 90 mph for the whole trip. Not easy to do on public highways, even in '79. (And I drove without stimulants, I'm not that crazy).

With clean oil, those DOHC 6 cylinder engines were bulletproof. Thru most of New Mexico and Arizona the tach was redlined for hours at a time it seemed.

I wonder if our 4,0 and 4,2 XKR's could take the same exercise in stride ???

oh to be young again.

Z.

PS forgot to give my age earlier, it's 67.

Last edited by zray; 04-09-2019 at 10:39 PM.
Old 04-10-2019, 11:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

I'm 35 and I've had my 2000 XK8 for 10 years, almost to the day. I bought it while I was remotely troubleshooting and controlling wind turbine generators and making good money. I was trying to decide if I wanted to finish my Master's in Architecture...but I decided against it. After my job relocating twice, I got into special education. I now work as a High School Special Education Teacher at a special (setting IV) school for students with significant problem behaviors, often including extreme physical aggression. I also instruct teachers at my site and at less restrictive settings in non-violent crisis intervention (including the use of physical restraint) and also teach schools in ALICE active shooter response. This is my first Jag and won't be my last. I may look for a newer x150 XKR to drive more regularly as this one gets older and may get driven less. Once the kids are older, I think my wife would like to trade our 2018 Ford Explorer for a used XJL.

Here is an older video of my school, if you are interested. We are bigger now and have more services available:

Old 09-17-2020, 10:02 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Occupation and Jag history

I'm self employed but hoping to be unemployed soon. Own a small business making diamond tipped cutting tools. I think I have a buyer, so should be retired in the next 6 months. Currently live in Ohio, but plan on moving to San Diego next year. I'm 70 years old. Always loved the old XKE, most beautiful car ever I always thought. But I'm not paying $100,000 or more for a car for any reason, even if i can afford it. ( And could still get in and out of it) Been thinking about an XK8 for a few years now, but hesitated for 2 reasons; Limited number of days to use a convertible in Ohio ( It has to be a convert), and it would be a 3rd car for a 2 car garage. Wife passed away a few years ago, so down to one car, and considering the move to California resolves the weather issue. So I bought an '05 XK8 convertible with 44,000 miles on it a year ago. Love it. Only wish Ford had produced a manual transmission model. Love the car, it will be my only car after the move. ( Fiance has an SUV, so there are options). Looking forward to the Southern California weather, not as happy about the insane politics, income taxes and price of gas. But everything in life has trade offs. So that's my story.

The following 2 users liked this post by Drawson:
Sentinelist (09-27-2020), Timeisrelative (09-17-2020)
Old 09-17-2020, 11:05 AM
Received 131 Likes on 65 Posts

67 years, university professor no intent to retire. Crazy driver totalled my '63 Lincoln Continental last year, insurance payout put me on Craigslist, found a pristine 2004 Jaguar XK8 and bought it immediately. Owned several fun cars and motorbikes including the Datsun 240 260 280Z series, BMW Z4, Mercedes 560SL. Currently a Honda Valkyrie 1520cc opposed six. Jag is by far the best handling to date. Do all my own work on a 4 post lift. My timing chain video has 152,300+ views. No mechanical training just a belief that nobody will care as much as I to do the job right. This being said I might need Jag to reprogram my seat module.

Timeisrelative (09-17-2020)
Old 09-17-2020, 04:48 PM
Received 282 Likes on 164 Posts

My .02..... I'm enjoying the heck out of this thread. 63 going on about 30 (most days) working circles around my work mates much younger than me. I'll retire as soon as it's feasible as I'm getting sick of the old grind. A meer high school grad and middle class working boy in the printing industry since '73 until just 3 years ago.
Started with cars with a hand me down '66 MG Midget, family had a few MG's after that and we enjoyed them all. My third car was a '67 XKE coupe in '74 at the age of 18 and did some fix ups including pulling the engine to have the trans rebuilt. So, DIY is in my blood following my engineer father and my brothers all teaching me plenty. In '77 Honda cars then motorcycles became my main focus and bikes are still a big part of life. However, cars are always cool and 42 years later after selling that XKE (knew I would regret it) I replaced it about 2 years ago with my '03 XK8 drop top which resembles that old classic the most of all those that have come since.
I really enjoy it and other than catching up on rubber parts deterioration I haven't needed to repair anything.
Some one earlier stated buying their car site unseen, as I did with mine from California, shipped it to Ohio. Haven't regretted it except for not being able to do it sooner. Thanks for listening. Tom

Last edited by STLTHMSTA; 09-17-2020 at 04:51 PM.
Timeisrelative (09-17-2020)
Old 09-18-2020, 12:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 965 Likes on 453 Posts

58 year old carpenter superintendent doing mostly pulp mill upgrades/expansions and industrial construction. Born in The Hague, Netherlands and immigrated to Prince George in Canada in 1966 with my family. I've loved Jaguars since I saw the XKE for the first time and I fell in love with the XK8 coupe when I first saw it in 1997 in Vancouver but with a wife and young daughter I couldn't afford the 80k+ Canadian price tag but the car was always in the back of my mind. The ex-wife and I split years ago and last year the daughter graduated from veterinary school and I thought "no more payments, it's now or never" so I went looking for the car I feel in love with. I bought it last summer with a binder full of maintenance and service records and haven't looked back. It's a fantastic little car and except for a few little things you would expect in any 22 year old car it's been fault free and it just passed the 150,000km mark last week. It's got to be one of the most beautiful cars I've ever owned but what surprised me is the power the old girl still has. I'm pretty mechanically inept but this ones a keeper for me and I'll hang on to it until I can't drive anymore even though I can only drive it 6 months of the year.

Timeisrelative (09-18-2020)
Old 09-18-2020, 05:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,686 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Originally Posted by ozbot
”...... this ones a keeper for me and I'll hang on to it until I can't drive anymore even though I can only drive it 6 months of the year.......”.
I‘m with you 100%
(except I drive mine 365 days a year. It would kill me to lose the use of the XKR for half of every year).

Z

The following 3 users liked this post by zray:
crbass (09-18-2020), ozbot (09-18-2020), Timeisrelative (09-21-2020)
Old 09-21-2020, 01:59 PM
Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts

I'll be 70 years old in December and am enjoying driving my 2006 XKR to car shows and other places. When young I was a mechanic at a dealer who sold MG and Austin Healey cars and later Jaguars. I loved the E-types but no way could I afford one. I did many different things in my working life but always wanted an E-type but never had the time to look for one much less drive it as my working life took up all my time. Just prior to retirement I had a heart attack and my wife told me I could buy an older Corvette if that would make me happy so I bought a 1990 Corvette. I had the 'Vette for six years and rarely drove it as I was so busy here on the farm.
Two years ago we decided to go to a car show and enjoyed seeing all the old cars and enjoyed hr talking to other car owners. Problem was Corvettes were the most popular cars at the show if there were 75 cars 35 of them were Corvettes. I made up my mind that that was no fun and thought back to my days of working on E-types and thought one would be perfect in a car show. Little did I know how much a 50 to 60 year old XKE would cost. Needless to say too much! After researching newer Jags I decided on 2006 XKR. I liked the reminiscence to the E-types in these cars. I took a year of searching but finally found one last May and bought it.
I love the car, love to drive it, and love taking care of it. I plan on keeping it for a long while, especially after this when there will be more shows and it's nice having the only Jaguar there!

The following 6 users liked this post by Rtoy42:
bcprice36 (09-29-2020), crbass (09-21-2020), DavidYau (09-27-2020), michaelh (09-21-2020), ozbot (09-21-2020), Timeisrelative (09-21-2020) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-22-2020, 05:20 AM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Former dairy farmer, hotelier, insurance loss adjuster and finally, and now retired, public servant (Queensland), 64 years old and now living in Tasmania. Migrated from the UK to Australia in 1992. My first car as an agricultural engineering student back in 1974 was a Wolseley 4/44. Second car was a Wolseley 4/44 ..... for spares. First Jag was an XJ6 in the 1980s but didn't keep it for long as it kept breaking down. Saw a XKR convertible in a Brisbane showroom in about 2005 and fell in love. Finally bought my 2002 XKR coupe in 2015. One of the first 4.2 litre MY03 cars. Beautiful car both to look at and to drive. Mind you, the XF is no slouch either and can give a lot of sports cars a run for their money even with the diesel engine.

The following 2 users liked this post by tassiejag:
ozbot (09-22-2020), Timeisrelative (09-26-2020)
Old 09-26-2020, 09:05 AM
Received 134 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by giandanielxk8
That's an interesting story. Never knew someone to actively seek out finicky cars before.

No, but at your age i did use to seek out finicky women, except they were called combative nutters back then.

Timeisrelative (09-26-2020)
Old 09-26-2020, 01:48 PM
Received 151 Likes on 106 Posts

I am 71 this year. Retired rocket engineer. First British car was 1960 MGA. I still have original factory workshop manual in yellow binder for the MGA. I have been a DIY since teenager. Even did body and paint on my 1969 2002, but I have never done body and paint again. I have rebuilt my 2 Porsche engines, Chevy V8, Landcruiser 6, Subaru boxers, and do most of work on the Ferrari except the F1 system
My wife and I were driving around during one of my times of wanting a different car and we pulled up to the curb and she looked in the parking lot, and said how about one of those. She did not know what it was. That is how we decided on our first xk8, we are on our second which just dropped valve seats on cylinder 8. Ugh.

The following 2 users liked this post by stevepaa:
Sentinelist (09-27-2020), Timeisrelative (09-28-2020)
Old 09-27-2020, 09:20 PM
Received 154 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by giandanielxk8
I'm looking to find out what kind of person buys an X100 Jaguar. What do you do for a living? (Do you have a real job?) Do you DIY or do you take your Jag to a shop? Coupe or Convertible? XK8 or XKR? Is this your first Jag? Will it be your last?
Under 50. IT manager. Had 'Kate' (previous owner named her that, after Ms. Middleton at the time, gotta keep that) for coming up on 8 years this winter. Sold a 944 Turbo to ease my maintenance budget and got into the XKR, the E-Type of my generation. Was my luxury dream car in college. Went with the convertable because that's what I came across at the right time and place, but if I were to do it all over again, it'd be a coupe. Not much one to be 'exposed' much anymore and that's just increasing with age- what I'd really like to do is get a 4-post lift and a matching coupe while prices are cheap. I do the basic DIY stuff but have a great mechanic for the deeper stuff less than an hour away who I typically see once a year who is a retired Jag mechanic. Probably won't be my last Jag (coupe??), as I've got my eye on a 2012-2015 XKR-S in the next few years, but likely as an addition. These X100s are modern classics and mine is quickly turning into my 'classic car'.

Been a member here from the start and appreciate the heck out of you guys for the camaraderie, humor, and wealth of info! I've been quiet lately with positive life changes (re: moved out to the sticks, more kids, busier job, more land to take care of, got into old Land Cruisers) but still enjoy taking Kate out a few times a month.

Timeisrelative (09-28-2020)
Old 09-29-2020, 10:53 AM
Received 295 Likes on 177 Posts

I am 59 years old (until the big one next July). I am a controller for a large Christian missions non-profit organization here in South Florida (next year we plan to reach over 140 million children and youth with God's Word). I fell in love with the x100 when it came out and thought they were just gorgeous, but in 2011 when I was ready to buy I decided to buy the latest model, so I was originally looking to buy an x150 series convertible... unfortunately, my wife has MS and is in a wheelchair, and I could NOT get her transport chair into the trunk so that was a no go. BUT, the seller I went to had a beautiful low mileage (23K miles) 2001 XK8 that I ended up buying and have loved it ever since (even more now with the LS swap I did but that is a different thread).

The following 3 users liked this post by blindside:
Redeye (09-30-2020), Rtoy42 (09-29-2020), Timeisrelative (09-30-2020)
Old 09-29-2020, 03:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 561 Posts

Originally Posted by 80sRule
31 year old senior software engineer. DIY everything. I have a 2000 Jaguar XKR Convertible that I bought in 1/2011 at age 23, which was my first Jaguar. Then I added a 1998 Jaguar XJR in 2015 as my second Jaguar ever. Then I added a 2007 Jaguar XKR Coupe in 2018 as my third Jaguar ever. None of these will be my last Jaguars .

These cars are very good value as used vehicles. Easy to work on, excellent online community, reasonable parts costs, quite reliable, and the GT nature of the cars have made them very appealing to me.
It's been a while. I'm 33 now and higher up the IT chain now. I have sold my 98 XJR as I never fell in love with it like my XKRs. I thoroughly enjoy my 07 XKR and consider it my favorite car I've ever owned, with my 00 XKR right up there with it. Next year I'm replacing the 2000 XKR with a Maserati Granturismo or Aston Martin DB9, but I've had the car a decade and have had a lot of fun and memories made with it.

Timeisrelative (09-30-2020)

Quick Reply: What is your occupation and age?