XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

What's the best way to detach / re-attach wires to connecting plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 01:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 228 Posts
Default What's the best way to detach / re-attach wires to connecting plugs?

Hello guys-

I'm doing a rear-light conversion on my coupe, and I have a semi-dumb question for those of you who know your electrics.

One of the final steps in this conversion is rearranging the wires in the rear lamp connector / plugs. What's the best way to pull out and and reconnect wires in the connectors? Any special tool needed? I've never worked with connectors of this type, and would rather not trash it trying to figure it out.

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-11-2011, 01:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,988 Likes on 2,125 Posts

I am assuming the aftermarket lights do not have a compatible connector

Best: Solder and heat shrink tubing

Very Good: Pos-locks and Posi-taps Posi-Lock(R) - The Best Connectors You'll Ever Use! (no tools required)

Good -Very Good: Crimp type connectors (from any auto parts store) if the proper technique and tool is used.

Fair to poor: Scotch-lock and similar insulation displacement taps (somtimes called suitcase connectors)

Fair to poor: Twisted wires and electrical tape (depending on workmanship)

The following users liked this post:
The Coupe (12-11-2011)
Old 12-11-2011, 03:14 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks WhiteXKR-

I thought you might be the one to answer first...

Actually, the new lights are merely the later XK8 / R light package. As XKRacer has taught us however, the wires into the connectors / plugs were re-arranged in the later years, so those doing conversions from earlier years must switch things around a bit.

So I'll be using the existing connector / plug...I just need to remove the wires (all but one) from the existing plug, and then re-connect the wires back into the same plug, but into different holes.

Any advice on that particular scenario?

Old 12-11-2011, 03:51 PM
Veteran Member

Perhaps XKRacer has a hint, but in general those pins are difficult to extract without a special tool from the connector manufacturer.

Cutting the wires with 2-3" if pigtail and spicing with solder/heatshrink or Posi-locks might be your best option.

Old 12-11-2011, 05:05 PM
Banned
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Wait! Don't cut those wires just yet! That tool you'll need to remove the wires and pins intact is a MUST. Pick one up at your computer superstore. I have one. It sleeves down over the male pins IN THE CONNECTOR and retracts the barbs (which keep the pin in place) and allows you to easily pull the wire out of the back end of the plastic connector. Mine were round pins...I've forgotten how the female side of things worked, but I'm fairly certain a tool was employed to retract the barbs; possibly a very small flatblade screwdriver. Best wishes and please keep us posted.

Last edited by BigCat3153; 12-11-2011 at 10:18 PM. Reason: failed to adequately proofread: type-o found and fixed
The Coupe (12-11-2011)
Old 12-11-2011, 06:40 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BigCat3153
Wait! Don't cut those wires just yet! That tool you'll need to remove the wires and pins intact is a MUST. Pick one up at your computer superstore. I have one. It sleeves down over the male pins IN THE CONNECTOR and retracts the barbs (which keep the pin in place) and allows you to easily pull the wire out of the back end of the plastic connector. Mine were round pins...I've forgotten the how the female side of things worked, but I'm fairly certain a tool was employed to retract the barbs; possibly a very small flatblade screwdriver. Best wishes and please keep us posted.
Might work, but there are literally thousands of types of connectors and many different pin retention mechanisms. Be gentle if you try. If you break the connector you have a headache. Cutting and splicing wires has no risk if done properly.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 12-11-2011 at 06:42 PM.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:16 AM
Veteran Member

WhiteXKR-

Do you know the gauge of the wire used to connect our rear lights? The posi-locks look like a good choice. The posi-locks have an 18 - 24 gauge option, and the next largest is 14 - 16.

BigCat3153-

I agree, ideally I would have the proper tool and not cut any wires. But there ARE so many different connectors out there, and the only way for me to really ensure I'm getting the right tool would be to take the connector to the store, which would require...cutting the wires.

Thank you both for your help.

Old 12-12-2011, 07:26 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by The Coupe
WhiteXKR-

Do you know the gauge of the wire used to connect our rear lights? The posi-locks look like a good choice. The posi-locks have an 18 - 24 gauge option, and the next largest is 14 - 16.

BigCat3153-

I agree, ideally I would have the proper tool and not cut any wires. But there ARE so many different connectors out there, and the only way for me to really ensure I'm getting the right tool would be to take the connector to the store, which would require...cutting the wires.

Thank you both for your help.
Took a quick look...looks like 20 or 22 gauge to me.

The Coupe (12-12-2011)
Old 01-31-2013, 06:49 PM
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

The Posi-loc connectors are the best idea I have seen in years!! They are so much better than trying to cut the insulation back without harming the wires. Especially when the gauge is 22 or so. Amazon has a sampler kit for around $22.00, and it includes two inline fuse adapters that work great also. If you are going to do any work with the wiring on your car,or truck, you need these.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:53 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Lanny
The Posi-loc connectors are the best idea I have seen in years!! They are so much better than trying to cut the insulation back without harming the wires. Especially when the gauge is 22 or so. Amazon has a sampler kit for around $22.00, and it includes two inline fuse adapters that work great also. If you are going to do any work with the wiring on your car,or truck, you need these.

+1. I ship these with all my kits and have very few issues.

Old 01-31-2013, 08:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,623 Posts

I have used the pin extractor tools in the past. They always seem to get misplaced.

Now, I generally make do with a jeweler's screwdriver to release the locking tab. You just have to examine the particular pin type to figure out where to apply pressure. Pushing in on the wire generally helps to keep the latch from sticking too much.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:08 PM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

[QUOTE=The Coupe;439221]Hello guys-

I'm doing a rear-light conversion on my coupe

QUOTE]
Hi there!
I could not help to notice that you're undertaking the conversion of your tail lights. I am also in the same business, and really value this thread on the wire mod options. After reading about the Posi Tap Connectors I could not wait and have 30 on order with Amazon already .
Are you going to use ParagonDesign's aftermarket composite panels? I have them on order as I type. Bought pair of tailights w/warranty on eBay $100 each...now just cut and grind . Would be great if you keep us posted on your progress as I won't begin at least another week
Best,
Danny.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:44 AM
Veteran Member

Danny S-

Check the post dates...I did that conversion about 13 months ago!

It was quite the job...I've never cut into a car before...but slow and careful got it done. I did use Tony's (Paragon) composite panels for the inside, quite necessary in my opinion. The panels required a bit of shaping to fit tightly, which was a bit of a pain. A little grinder wheel on my Dremel took care of that. I used JB Weld to bond the panels into position on the body, inside the trunk area.

As you're working to bond the panels in place, take extra care to ensure that it is in the exact position necessary to seat the light fixture perfectly.

Tony is always very helpful with the long-distance advice, so you can PM him if you have problems (in addition to posting on the forum, of course).

Old 02-01-2013, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by The Coupe
Danny S-

Check the post dates...I did that conversion about 13 months ago!

Hahah, don't mind me ...time perception is apparently a foreign concept in my life.

So happy to have someone experienced on standby in case I screw smtng up . I've actually recived the panels a today ...now just need to get myself to ask my neigbour for his cutter and tackle the first groove. Pbly next weekend.

Do you drive in rain at times? Any issues with moisture in your trunk or inside the lights? Btw, how'd you adjust your trunk liner?

Best,
Danny.

Old 02-01-2013, 04:48 PM
Received 151 Likes on 106 Posts

I have ground down some 1/6 drill bits to have flat sides and used them with success. But you should try to find the type of connector it is 070 or 040 and look at the pins

go to te.com and ther is a primer on the connectors

Old 02-01-2013, 06:46 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by dannyS
Do you drive in rain at times? Any issues with moisture in your trunk or inside the lights? Btw, how'd you adjust your trunk liner?

I rarely drive in rain but I do wash the car...no issues. You just want to make sure the composite panels are perfectly placed...and held there...while the bonding agent is curing. Their placement determines how well (and tightly) the tail light assembly will fit...therefore keeping water out.

You have two options for the rear plastic trim piece inside the trunk...trim it to accomodate the new set-up, or the best option, find and purchase a trim piece from a newer car. It will fit perfectly into your earlier car, and will look clean and stock. Not that easy to find...Jag had none when I looked, but I did find one at one of the online salvage yards for about sixty bucks.

dannyS (02-02-2013)
Old 02-24-2013, 01:21 PM

Greetings .
Below is the picture of 20-22 Gauge Wire Posi-tap connector (as recommended earlier in the thread) application. I used them to rewire my tail light harnesses and could not be happier. Now just to find the trim piece as per The Coupe's suggestion

Attached Thumbnails What's the best way to detach / re-attach wires to connecting plugs?-rewiringtlupgrade.jpg