XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Wheel sensors

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 07:22 AM
Received 201 Likes on 92 Posts
Talking Wheel sensors

So, my 1999 XK8 was showing the traction control/stability failure/ABS warning repeatedly over the past few months. I've watched numerous videos on youtube on what the message means, how to check and clean the sensors, but never got around to actually physicaly checking into it. (I'm lazy....what can I say...)
Last weekend was a beautiful weekend so I took Monday off for a nice three day weekend. I decide it's time. I go outside and see if I really could see and remove the sensors like in the videos. Well, my tire width is 50 all around, so the guy in the video must have had narrower tires because he simply reached around and removed them. Not possible with 50s. SO, one at a time I took the tires off, removed/inspected/cleaned the sensors, reinstalled them and put the tires back on. Took maybe half an hour with the tire removal being the bulk of the time. Here it is Wednesday and the failure message has not reappeared. The sensors were not too dirty, so I'm thinking maybe, just maybe, the simple act of unplugging and replugging the sensor wires solved the issue.

I would not recommend trying to unplug and replug the sensors with the tires on unless you have a lift that will raise the car high enough to walk under as the little prongs in the clip are small and it's dirty back there. Dirt in the wire end or bent prongs would completely defeat the purpose....take the tires off.

The following 2 users liked this post by marvin.d.miller:
cjd777 (06-04-2014), Jim D (06-04-2014)
Old 06-04-2014, 09:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,390 Likes on 2,866 Posts

Agreed. Take the wheels off for much easier visibility and access. Every time I do a tire rotation I go ahead and clean the wheel speed sensors. That adds perhaps all of ten minutes total to the tire rotation job. Since I started doing this, the dashboard warning messages have disappeared and not returned....

Old 06-04-2014, 05:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same here, first got the warning when driving in torrential rain, restarted and it disappeared then kept coming on when driving in rain so unplugged them, sprayed the contacts with electrical cleaner, dried then reconnected.
All fine since!

The following users liked this post:
Jim D (06-04-2014)
Old 06-04-2014, 06:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,359 Likes on 750 Posts
Default speed sensor

Good information and thanks, just a quick point of view on the spray cleaning the contacts, do any of you recommend using grease also? Would this be a problem collecting dirt in this area?

Wayne

Old 06-05-2014, 07:15 AM
Received 201 Likes on 92 Posts
Talking No, do not use grease...

The sensors ride a miniscule distance from the cog that tells the sensors the wheel is moving. Although they appear to be enclosed because they are bolted into a hole, if you remove the sensors and look into the hole, the cogs are slightly rusty, meaning they are not sealed and are exposed to road grime.

The point of cleaning the sensor is to remove the grit and grime build up from everyday driving. Cleaning yearly with tire rotation would suffice. To add grease would simply keep every bit of dirt and grime that would normaly fly past the sensor to stick and accumulate extremely fast. You'd have to clean the sensors weekly if you add grease.

Old 06-05-2014, 07:18 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I think he means adding grease after you have cleaned the electrical connectors with contact cleaner not the actual sensor itself

Old 06-06-2014, 06:53 PM
Veteran Member
Default wheel sensor

Yes, Steeeva you are correct. I find adding a bit keeps moisture out of the Lucas systems on the older Triumphs, as mine sets around a lot and I don't have to go around the car and bang all the lights every time I want to go out.

Wayne

donskrin (06-09-2014)
Old 06-07-2014, 01:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaned Sensors but still limping home

After having the traction control fail and failsafe mode error for the last month, I took some advice I read on this forum. I cleaned all the sensors and still the issue persists. I have read that battery issues could be a reason, but my battery is new. I have noticed that the issue only arises when I have driven for about 45 minutes or more. The frequency seems to escalate when the temperature is hotter. I live a far ways from a Jag dealer so I am looking at trying what I can to resolve the issue. Any advice other than checking the fuses and wiring? Can hi temperatures exacerbate this issue.. and if so, then that should narrow down the source.

Old 06-07-2014, 07:58 PM
Veteran Member
Default sensor

Marvin, you may have to give some attention to the connection in the ABS/Traction control box. You can send it off or read on Gus's repair pages on how to do it yourself. Lots of different ways of doing it.
It was just a bad joint from the factory.

texasxkr (06-10-2014)
Old 06-09-2014, 05:34 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lucas electronics...

Originally Posted by cjd777
Yes, Steeeva you are correct. I find adding a bit keeps moisture out of the Lucas systems on the older Triumphs, as mine sets around a lot and I don't have to go around the car and bang all the lights every time I want to go out.

Wayne
Now that is funny! That brings such "fond" memories of MG Midget and MGB ownership of 22+ years ago. So many hours spent troubleshooting problems that were there...and then they weren't. I have to give you a big thanks just for the laugh Wayne! I am hoping when I do find my XK8/XKR that the electronics/electrical systems are a bit more reliable on these newer fancy British cars...

cjd777 (06-10-2014)