XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheels Damaged...by Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 09:51 AM
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Samantha
Can't see your insurance company getting involved in a bad repair job. The cost of our insurance would be triple if they covered this.

When my brother takes his car to shop, he's so paranoid that he takes photos of his car at all angles (with the day's newspaper in the shot) just in case someone does visible damage and tries to deny it.
Why would your insurance premium go up if the damage wasn't your fault? That doesn't pass the common sense test.

Agreed on the photos. Some shops will take photos themselves to avoid this exact type of claim.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,871 Likes on 7,150 Posts

Originally Posted by WldCat
Why would your insurance premium go up if the damage wasn't your fault? That doesn't pass the common sense test.

Agreed on the photos. Some shops will take photos themselves to avoid this exact type of claim.

Premiums are/can be adjusted according to claim history. If you make a claim against the policy and the company pays out, you risk an increase.

Cheers
DD

Old 10-28-2010, 11:06 AM
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug
Well, we've gone from "really buggered up the trim rings...." to "they weren't perfect" to begin with to "It's not too bad...not worth the hassle". :-)

Even if you had "before" photos the fact remains that they damaged trim rings that were already damaged. The most you could hope to "nail 'em" for is some sort of split settlement, as you wouldn't be entitled to being made "more than whole" with brand new rings.

Go in and have a reasonable discussion and see if they'll do anything for you. I wouldn't mention never going back there again. If you say that then they won't have any reason at all to come up with an agreeable settlement.

Cheers and good luck
DD
I see you`ve noticed the progression in my description of the damage Doug!...some of this is rationalization on my part, as the more I`ve learned about refurbishing these rings (ie splitting the wheel) the less I want to get into it. Before the dealer changed tires I had just a couple of scrapes on the rings.....there are a lot more now and one ring has a rippled area with a gap under this same area between the ring and the wheel rim. They definitely did some damage, but I`m going to try to buff and polish if possible. I don`t want anyone splitting my wheels to affect repair.

Old 10-28-2010, 12:09 PM
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Originally Posted by doug
all those who have never made a mistake please stand up and be counted.
Cheers
dd
classic

Old 10-28-2010, 12:12 PM

Any wheel repair shop can remove the rings, polish the rim and or paint the lip to match the wheel. We just sent a set of 4 out for this and they look great. Yes they dont have a polished lip, but inexpensive repair and can easily be fixed again. I dont see many people that dont eventuall curb these or any wheel for that matter

Old 10-29-2010, 11:16 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Dick Maury at Coventry West has the rings for $270 and will replace them on your wheel for $100 if that's all the wheel needs. He's doing one of my 20X10 rear Detroit BBS wheels as we speak. Actually he's waiting on a new air valve from England so he can finish the job and get me back on the road hopefully by the end of next week. I told him we were running out of good weekends down here in Houston!

BBS America is not the way to go with this repair and Dick is the only person I've found that has the part and has done the repair in the past.

I'd drop him a line if I were you. I can't vouch for his skill since I've not received the wheel but he is experienced. After his repair I will post a follow up once I get it and it's on the car.

Good luck.

dick@coventrywest.com

Old 10-29-2010, 05:35 PM
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks, I-RIGHT-I...I`ll watch for your post when you get your wheel back.

Old 10-30-2010, 07:53 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Cpm53, yours is a cautionary tale as you’ve been screwed by the whorehouse dealership. I’ve never had that pleasure but I talked to a man just a week or two ago that claimed he took his car into a dealership with two new tires and came out with two old ones. That seems like BS to me but who knows these days?

I’d look into Brutal’s suggestion though since you’ve got 4 damaged wheels. I considered it but I only had the one wheel to fix and it didn’t make sense to me to spend the same money and end up with other than stock wheels. Besides, I like the rings and don’t use the car but once in a while so my odds at curb rash are lower than most. Plus I’m careful!

Old 10-30-2010, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by I-RIGHT-I
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Cpm53, yours is a cautionary tale as you’ve been screwed by the whorehouse dealership. I’ve never had that pleasure but I talked to a man just a week or two ago that claimed he took his car into a dealership with two new tires and came out with two old ones. That seems like BS to me but who knows these days?

Yeah, ya never know...it's possible.....but that one does sound like BS to me. If a customer is mad at the dealership (or any kind of business) there's a tendency to exaggerate problems or, sometimes, even fabricate stories. I spent 30 years dealing with this sort of thing. I could write a book. Maybe I should :-)

It's also true that some repairs shop are as crooked as a hound dog's back leg. I could write a book about that, too !

Honest mistakes...even stupid ones...should be forgivable IF the offending party makes some effort to put things right. My personal experience is that 90% of customers are quite reasonable if you face the problem head-on and try to make good on it. Trying to hide a mistake or run away from it always backfires. Always.

What I don't understand in this case is why all four rings were damaged. I'm not familiar with the wheels in question...I can't even visualize them...but if there was a problem removing the *first* one you'd sorta think that the guy would've stopped right there before damaging the other three. <shrug>

Cheers
DD

Old 10-30-2010, 10:28 AM
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug
Premiums are/can be adjusted according to claim history. If you make a claim against the policy and the company pays out, you risk an increase.

Cheers
DD
Again, not if the damage was not your fault. Have you gathered yet that I'm speaking from personal experience?

Old 11-13-2010, 10:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trim RIngs available

I had the same issue. I found a shop in England that sold only the trim rings for the BBS wheels. They are $175 each and must be installed by a professional, but you can find them by doing a google search or going on Ebay.

Old 11-13-2010, 11:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 477 Posts

The company is Wicked Wheels they have there own trims spun, I have used them a few times with no problem

Old 11-13-2010, 12:11 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by WldCat
Again, not if the damage was not your fault. Have you gathered yet that I'm speaking from personal experience?

Have you gathered that I am as well?

Cheers
DD

Old 11-13-2010, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by doug
what i don't understand in this case is why all four rings were damaged. I'm not familiar with the wheels in question...i can't even visualize them...but if there was a problem removing the *first* one you'd sorta think that the guy would've stopped right there before damaging the other three. <shrug>

cheers
dd
bbs wheels aremounted to the tire changer upside down with clamps that hold the outside lip or edge of the wheel to not damage it and then you dsmoun/mount the tires off the back of the rim. Maybe he didnt know how to do it or used the wrong tools. Plus you have to be carefull cause those rings dent with little effort