XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

When Jaguar says you must have a new engine

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 08:31 AM
Received 2,193 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Ide go into the cylinder with a bore scope before i tore the head off. you can see the valves, and check the bore for scoring, on my Nissan engine I even saw where the top ring broke. I hate when ext warranty companies want tear down, because if they dont see a broken part they use that as an excuse to bail on repairs leaving the customer with teardown expense and repairs. I always push for approval based on diag without a teardown. And no warranty is a jaguar warranty other than the initial factory one. Select is the best but is still admined by outside company. So i jag extra mile<<<pos hate them. Factory times and they will pull this crap. We no longer sell this because of it. Easy car i like the most witht he least issues, but when youre dealing with a big bill they want conclusive evidence as many do and you as a cash paying customer would/should too. I have seen techs recommend a engine when it realy wasnt needed they just didnt want to got he extra mile to verify. Then again when i get to a point that i feel there is really engine damage i recommend 1 too. And yes its a remanned engine but "new" for the car. Dont get stuck on verbage. As motorcarman said. About the only time youll get a new engine/trans is on a newer car that for some reason failed.

The following users liked this post:
Arland Green (12-14-2012)
Old 10-13-2012, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by Arland Green
Paul Pavlik-

Was your Steve an African-American? The Steve at Field's is- maybe the same one? Thx for the good word. This flusters me, as I hate feeling like I'm getting screwed on a deal, and the caveat of 'if it isn't carboned up' does not make me feel liike I have a complete warranty as advertised by Field's. When I get my cat out of the hospital, we should maybe get together and compare iron. The only other XK series cars I've seen in Miilwaukee are a pacific blue XK8 convertible, a silver XKR, a gold over gold XK8, a salsa red with tan top XK8, and a black/black XKR. None of these were coupes.
Arland: Steve Blaubach is the Main Jaguar Tech at Jenkins Volvo-Jaguar at Green Bay & Capitol Drive in Milwaukee.

Steve installed the Mina Rear Lowering Springs that I provided and also the Thicker Axle Shims to compensate for the changed Rear Camber.

The people at Jenkins are very friendly and easy to deal with. However, as a Jaguar Dealer. their hourly labor charge is substantial. But I considered it worth it as the work was done carefully and correctly.

One item that concerns me is the statement that one Coil fires two Cylinders in the Jag. Just not true, each Cylinder has it's own Coil. Maybe just a mis-statement.

I'd like to see your car after the work is complete and you could see how mine looks "In Person". You can PM me and we'll get together. I live near Mayfair Mall in Wauwatosa.

Last edited by Paul Pavlik; 10-13-2012 at 11:48 AM.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 263 Likes on 203 Posts

Just to clarify a point Jaguar Select Edition has alaways been thru Jaguar, the Land Rover was handled by an outside company. The Land Rover is now the same as Jaguar.

Old 10-13-2012, 10:37 AM
Received 67 Likes on 44 Posts

Maybe I am ignorant, but shouldn't a carbon build-up increase compression?
Unless it is preventing a valve from closing. And couldn't you check this by the leakdown test or just supplying compressed air to the cylinder at TDC and seeing where it leaks from?

Or as suggested with a borescope. Heck, I bought one of those goose-neck inspection camera-recorders from Harbor Freight. $150. Its great for looking into the cylinder through the spark plug hole. You could also feed it through the intake manifold. Exhaust side would be a little more difficult.

Old 10-13-2012, 04:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 278 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Cambo351
Have the engine Terracleaned, that will absolutely clear any possibility of the cylinder being "carboned up"....cheaper than lifting a head off...
This may not be appropriate for this thread. But I would like more information on having an engine Terracleaned along with the opinion from some of the moderators.

Thanks guys.

Old 10-13-2012, 06:10 PM
Received 4,461 Likes on 2,427 Posts

Plenty of threads on this forum on the subject, just search "Terraclean" it ain't that complicated...

Old 10-13-2012, 06:37 PM
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

What is Terracleaned?

Old 10-13-2012, 07:23 PM
Received 6,330 Likes on 5,516 Posts
The following 2 users liked this post by Norri:
Arland Green (10-18-2012), JSC (10-18-2012)
Old 10-18-2012, 12:12 AM
Default Thanks to Cambo351

The news came back from field's Jaguar today- the engine has been Terrracloeaned and deemed carbon free- same low compression in cylinder #2 exists. Tomorrow they wiill remove that cylinder head and inspect the internals to the head- valve spring, valve, piston top. They claim not to have a bore hole scope so that cannot be done. In any event, it will be back to will their warranty cover or no?

Old 10-18-2012, 09:29 AM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

A bore scope with camera can be purchased for 150 USD. I purchased one from COSTCO and have used it during replacement of a rear window regulator. I would offer to buy one for the shop to avoid potential teardown costs.
Also would question a shop doing engine repair work w/o adequate tools.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:46 AM
Received 4,461 Likes on 2,427 Posts

You're welcome Arland, well that rules out "carboned up".

+1 on the borescope, they are cheap enough these days and $150 is a lot cheaper than labour costs to remove a head.

I just remembered my old mechanic in Perth had some special adaptors with the thread of a spark plug on one end and a quick-connect for a compressed air line on the other. He used them for replacing valve stem seals without having to remove the head (pressurise the cylinder, stopping the valves from dropping). Perhaps something like that could be used to determine where the leakage is coming from? If you hear the air leak through the throttle body = intake valve, out exhaust pipes = exhaust valve, in the oil filler = piston ring / cylinder. ?

Old 10-18-2012, 10:15 PM
Default Terraclean results

Field's Jaguar in Milwaukee performed the Terracleaning of my 4.2 AJ59 SC engine and it showed no improvement of comprression on #2 cylinder; they conclude it will then be a warranty situation and are taking tthe head off for inspection today. Should know soemthing after tomorrow and then will be the real post. Sorry, but trying to keep up with this event and driving another car in the mean time, courtesy of the dealer.

Old 10-19-2012, 12:44 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Very odd story indeed. But.........if you can get new engine for 500, let me think real quick, yup! I hope they don't find a way to cost you more money.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:34 AM
Default victim in waiting

Fellow contributors-
I feel liike a lamb before the slaughter awaiting the decree from on high about whether my Jaguar warranty will actually warranty what it says it will when there is an unexpected low compression in one cylinder preventing me from renewing my vanity plates "MY XKR". Today should be the day when I know something from the dealer's efforts to inspect the head. Next- I will need to wait with baited breath for the Jaguar Technician-at-large to come to Millwaukee to make his concurrence or denial of the findings as to coverage. The whole process, to me, is not as advertised and 'we are less than amused'.

Thanks to all of you who have responded- it is a feeling of being a part of a greater whole and a greater good and is strongly positive.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:08 AM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Cambo351
You're welcome Arland, well that rules out "carboned up".

+1 on the borescope, they are cheap enough these days and $150 is a lot cheaper than labour costs to remove a head.

I just remembered my old mechanic in Perth had some special adaptors with the thread of a spark plug on one end and a quick-connect for a compressed air line on the other. He used them for replacing valve stem seals without having to remove the head (pressurise the cylinder, stopping the valves from dropping). Perhaps something like that could be used to determine where the leakage is coming from? If you hear the air leak through the throttle body = intake valve, out exhaust pipes = exhaust valve, in the oil filler = piston ring / cylinder. ?
Yes this is called a leakdown test and I guaranty the dealer has this tool, most mechanics have this tool as well. This is the correct way to determine compression loss issues.

Old 10-19-2012, 01:53 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

Originally Posted by Arland
Thanks to all of you who have responded- it is a feeling of being a part of a greater whole and a greater good and is strongly positive.
In times like this, the support from forum members observed above makes the ordeal feel less isolating and overwhelming, I can relate completely. Its nice to know you've got a place, and people to turn to for advice and often times, simply understanding.

Old 10-25-2012, 05:10 PM
Default Update to the big XKR engine drame

I got the official word from Jaguarr US that they will do the following:

1. fix the bent valve in cylinder number 2. Shave the head and reinstall.
2. Open up the other head and repair two valves there causing 95 and 120 psi in two cylinders they have discovered are also low in compression.

They are saying this after telling me all cylinders were good except number 2- it was on the #2 cylinder head only, not both. Jaguar has said they wiill pay all repairs.

Their caveat is that if there is something more serious than valves in the other head, they wiill just replace the engine. And JAG has given me a new Land Rover to drive for the 2 weeks they think it will take to fix.

Old 10-25-2012, 05:36 PM
Received 6,330 Likes on 5,516 Posts

That sounds reasonable to me, I assume they will warranty the repair?

Old 10-25-2012, 06:41 PM
Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Arland Green
The news came back from field's Jaguar today- the engine has been Terrracloeaned and deemed carbon free- same low compression in cylinder #2 exists. Tomorrow they wiill remove that cylinder head and inspect the internals to the head- valve spring, valve, piston top. They claim not to have a bore hole scope so that cannot be done. In any event, it will be back to will their warranty cover or no?
Without a scope, how could they possibly have deemed it carbon free, this thread seems to be getting very fishy.

Old 10-26-2012, 01:24 AM

Norri-
Yes, They say they will pay all costs for whatever needs too be done over and above the $500 deductible. So, at the worst I'll have what I'd call on an airplane engine a top overhaul. Then I'll take my new UK Hide Co. 55 ft2 hide over to the leather fitter and get my two Recaro seats reupholstered and then hope I can drive it before putting it up for the snow season. I also plan to follow the Forum's advice on reconditioning my top. I hope I'll see the difference when the negine work is done, because I'm dumb enogh to tink it was running fine when 3 cylinders were off!!

Quick Reply: When Jaguar says you must have a new engine