XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where Can I Find Jaguar OBD PIDs? (THIS COULD BE COOL!!!)

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,261 Likes on 565 Posts
Default Where Can I Find Jaguar OBD PIDs? (THIS COULD BE COOL!!!)

I learned today that the Torque app I have on my Android phone has the ability to interpret non-standard PIDs from the bluetooth OBDII tool I have.

But let me back up a little... I was fiddling with the Torque app on my phone and discovered that by digging down into the settings you can add non-standard PIDs to the phone. The PIDs are the data bits that the car sends to the OBD scan tool. I thought that my scan tool just didn't have the ability to read the codes from the car, but I was wrong. The scan tool just acts as an interpreter between the car and the app on my phone. The scan tool is sending the app all of the data from the car, but the app itself doesn't know what some of the data means. Here's a good explanation from Wikipedia: OBD-II PIDs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are about 40 standard PIDs that all cars use, but then each manufacturer has their own PIDs that they use. Most manufacturers provide that info to a company called "Equipment and Tool Institute". ETI provides the data to their members, but membership costs $7500 per year! Here's an explanation of the non-standard PIDs: OBD-II PIDs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sooo... does anyone know where to find a list of Jaguar-specific PIDs without paying ETI $7500? Really all I want is the transmission temp PID, but a complete list for the XK8 would be nice. With that info I could program my Android phone/Torque to give me all sorts of nifty data.

The following users liked this post:
enderle (09-17-2018)
Old 05-07-2011, 09:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I remember some info on the codes on Gus's website. Of course i could be hallucinating. It happens frequently.

Old 05-07-2011, 10:27 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,212 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
I learned today that the Torque app I have on my Android phone has the ability to interpret non-standard PIDs from the bluetooth OBDII tool I have.

But let me back up a little... I was fiddling with the Torque app on my phone and discovered that by digging down into the settings you can add non-standard PIDs to the phone. The PIDs are the data bits that the car sends to the OBD scan tool. I thought that my scan tool just didn't have the ability to read the codes from the car, but I was wrong. The scan tool just acts as an interpreter between the car and the app on my phone. The scan tool is sending the app all of the data from the car, but the app itself doesn't know what some of the data means. Here's a good explanation from Wikipedia: OBD-II PIDs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are about 40 standard PIDs that all cars use, but then each manufacturer has their own PIDs that they use. Most manufacturers provide that info to a company called "Equipment and Tool Institute". ETI provides the data to their members, but membership costs $7500 per year! Here's an explanation of the non-standard PIDs: OBD-II PIDs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sooo... does anyone know where to find a list of Jaguar-specific PIDs without paying ETI $7500? Really all I want is the transmission temp PID, but a complete list for the XK8 would be nice. With that info I could program my Android phone/Torque to give me all sorts of nifty data.
Look on this page OBD Codes

Old 05-07-2011, 10:30 AM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Sam,

I found this, it is a listing of all the codes. The hex conversion may have to be done or maybe the torque app authors will do it for you and load it to their app. An email to tech support may take care of that for you.

Let us know how it goes... of course that would mean that I would have to get an android phone as I only have a Crackberry from the office!

Old 05-07-2011, 11:21 AM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Sam,

I too am looking for this information. According to the developer of Torque, if you find the PID's, all you have to do is e-mail him the information and he will add it to Torque.

Torque and Extended (EOBD) PID support — Torque

You can also add your own Plugins to Torque, if you have any programming skill. I am currently checking this route out, to see if there is anything I can add that would be useful to me.

Good luck. I will be looking for those PID's too.

Old 05-07-2011, 11:25 AM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Also, the links the others have given are just Fault Codes. We need the actual PID's. They will look like this:

MODE, PID, Formula, Unit
0×11, 0x2C, A+B *100, Litres

I will be on the look out too.

Old 05-07-2011, 06:04 PM
Received 130 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Scan tool arrived

Rev., my scan tool just arrived and I'll hook it up Monday - I bought the same one as you and the same phone, too.

I think a lot of the updates I get for Torque are additions like this, I'll keep my eyes open. It would be an elegant solution.

Old 05-07-2011, 08:52 PM
Veteran Member

This sucks. I spent 2 hours googling for the PIDs but I can't find them anywhere. I even googled on Bing. Apparently companies have to pay between $7500 and $50,000 to get the codes to use with their code readers, so they protect them like they are the coordinates to bin Laden's safe house. Of all of the info Wikileaks made public, how come they didn't do something useful.

The following users liked this post:
dmchao (02-22-2019)
Old 05-08-2011, 05:32 AM
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Reverend Sam,

I am interested in working on this as well. In theory once the data is assembled, it could be included in Torque or added as a Torque add-on.

I noted in another thread that when I run the "sample torque add-on", which is "watching" the raw dataflow, I see a variety of data that Torque doesn't understand.

It typically looks like this:

ff5204:###

the values changing as I drive down the road.

Not sure what tool you are using, I got mine from dealextreme.com

Regards,

Old 05-08-2011, 09:43 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

what if you had someone with AutoEnginuity with the enhanced features activated...if it reads the manufacturer specific codes, it must know what the PIDs are, right?

Reverend, send a PM to Mafioso (he has an s-typeR), he has the aforementioned AE and he's a software programmer, I bet he can get the PIDs from the software and/or the OBDII connector (through its firmware). He's mentioned getting into it already for another purpose.

Old 05-08-2011, 09:09 PM
Default Torque website

There's a small forum on the Torque website and a space on their Wiki page for adding manufacturer specific PIDs

Extra PIDs - TorqueWiki

But, as yet, there's nothing on it. I gather from the Torque forum discussions I've read that people are sending them in and getting them programmed... That's probably how Rev got the ABS code read - someone sent it in and it's part of the package.

Old 05-08-2011, 10:18 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Spurlee
There's a small forum on the Torque website and a space on their Wiki page for adding manufacturer specific PIDs

Extra PIDs - TorqueWiki

But, as yet, there's nothing on it. I gather from the Torque forum discussions I've read that people are sending them in and getting them programmed... That's probably how Rev got the ABS code read - someone sent it in and it's part of the package.
That makes sense. That could also be why Torque was telling me that the wheel speed sensor was on a rear wheel when it was really the front left wheel. I get automatic updates on that app every other day or so. I wonder if the transmission temp has been added. I'll check it tomorrow.

Old 05-09-2011, 08:39 AM

There is a "Change Log" on their website that documents the day by day enhancements. The app world is interesting...

Old 05-12-2011, 08:41 AM
Default More complexity

It just occured to me that the PIDS are probably somewhat year/model specific. Many will carry over, some might be replaced and others unique. Torque could put them all out there in the library and you could pick the appropriate ones but that is a lot of work on their part and maybe beyond their mission.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:36 AM
Veteran Member

AutoEnginuity did it with their tool...

Old 07-09-2013, 07:20 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi,

Has anyone seen a difference between the dial data and the display data? For example, I find when looking at coolant temperature, the dial is 132 when the display is 200. Does anyone else see this? Does anyone know which is the more accurate display?

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-10-2018, 06:24 PM
Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

Mode $06 Data. I have been looking for 9 months to find out what Jaguars TOP SECRET MIDS, PIDS, TIDS, MODS, TESTS, IDS, etc. are tied up to. If I remember correctly Mode $06 was originally used by Engineers, Programmers, etc. and was not intended to be used by Common Old Mechanics. All of the Manufacturers created their own version. Even Ford, Jaguar, Volvo, and Mazda who were tied up together had there own version of Mode $06 they were not common to each other I imagine it was to do with secrecy. I believe I looked at "Equipment and Tool Institute's" Web site.with no luck. I also went to Jaguar's Web site, and tried to get in there. To get access to Jaguar's Mode $06 you have to have a Lock Smith's Security Clearance, Apply and then Cough Up.Many Dollars. I think I recall that All of the Manufacturers World Wide have to come up with a common version by a certain year, in fact I think it may already be done. The idea is that it will stop the Manufacturers from being the only ones that can easily repair OBD11 Vehicles, and make it easier for Independents to make some Money. But If you are working on a Ford, they have a wealth of Information on their Web Site, and use Forscan on your phone..
It is very easy to convert the Hexadecimal numbers to Decimal Use your Microsoft Windows Calculator, Click View, change it from Standard to Programmer, Change the Dot from Dec to Hec Enter your letters and or numbers ie.FFFF change the Dot from Hec to Dec and your answer will be 65535, You will see this number a lot, as it is the largest Hexadecimal number.

Old 09-15-2018, 03:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

If you really want the info, just pay for it.

Or you can monitor the car as it runs and very very painfully figure it out.

Bear in mind almost no-one wants to do either of those when they can buy a tool fairly cheaply that just works.

Old 03-05-2020, 08:10 AM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 931 Likes on 609 Posts

Any update on the PID codes?

Old 03-06-2020, 08:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 478 Likes on 323 Posts

Is 'Torque' the brand OBDII bluetooth module? I have an 'Automatic CCA' unit on my '06. It only transmits sometime(seldom). I plan to replace it with an 'Ausland' unit, same as my wired OBD checker. Hopefully codes will display and be available.

Quick Reply: Where Can I Find Jaguar OBD PIDs? (THIS COULD BE COOL!!!)