Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 08:18 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

I think Brian got it all!!!

Old 08-11-2010, 09:44 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks guys, I have to admit that I think the extra wood is pretty cool.
It was well worth the effort to get it ordered and installed!
Brian

Old 08-12-2010, 10:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

I would not leave this thread as it is lol ....Brian has such a pure wood trim that you could buy an XK for the sake of his wood trim (If you're a wood trim bug like me )
Also, I see no point of showing that carbon trims are only for super sports cars . Oh Come on , would not it be cool if Lamborghini Murcielago denied some parts of carbons and replaced them with the pure wood trim

What makes a car faster is not a carbon trim and what makes a car "less sporty" is using wood trim .

Old 08-12-2010, 11:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

I'm a bit old school when it comes to Jaguars and having wood in the interiors. I prefer wood for the sedans especially in a contrasting color to the rest of the interior. For example, the dark burl walnut works better in a light colored interior like Ivory or Dove Grey while a maple would work better in a Charcoal interior. Carbon fiber seems to fit the XKs fairly well though. I have also seen Piano Black and a turned aluminum dash in the current model XKs and that looks fairly nice. I'm not a real fan of all black interiors and trim as that seems a bit too severe for my tastes.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:36 AM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by MarcB
No reason to eat words, I am just curious how many people have seen XK8s/Rs with carbon fiber...
Well I found one on eBay that demonstrates the carbon fibre and suede. It does look very nice, but I also agree with carelm that all black can be a bit severe. The suede does add a good bit of contrast that helps break things up as does the chrome bezel around the shifter in this case.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Black...US_Cars_Trucks

Last edited by MidlifeXJR; 08-12-2010 at 09:32 PM. Reason: added URL
Old 08-12-2010, 12:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

A while back there was a thread about a guy who made his own carbon fiber trim. I have to say, it was a really nice job.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...t=carbon+fiber

Old 08-12-2010, 05:18 PM
Received 77 Likes on 57 Posts

I got the great pleasure of meeting MarcB and seeing his excellent car in person a few days ago. It was the first time I'd actually seen a carbon fibre dash in person, until then I'd only seen photos in Jag advertising literature. I have to agree with Marc that the carbon fibre does indeed look much much better in real life than at least any pictures I've ever seen. I can now definitely understand the attraction.

That being said, for me personally, Jeremy Clarkson got it right when he said that the sports option for an XKR is like playing football in Blenheim Palace. I really like the sense of occasion that the whole leather and wood thing brings every time I get in my car. I feel there's something about the soul of a high-end Jaguar that goes missing when you take that away.

A long while ago in the UK I saw a TV documentary that permanently screwed me up in this respect. The BBC inconsiderately showed old men in leather aprons selecting and hand-crafting the wood for XK8/R dashes, repeatedly re-checking everything with experienced eyes better than any machine, not satisfied until it met their high standards of perfection. Now I'm stuck really liking the idea that actual craftsmen used traditional methods and a lot of time, pride and care to make parts for my car, and that no other car can have quite the same interior as mine. As a result, I'm now convinced that my car is as unique and individual as a work of art. I even feel I've been somewhat entrusted with their dashboard and I owe it to those men to look after it.

Can we really say the same for the 97 onwards XKs? Personally I think their interiors are now dangerously close to being as formulaic, sterile and mass-produced as those by Lexus, BMW, Mercedes or Porsche. When I first saw the inside of the new XK I felt sad because I feel the Jag name should always mean more than to just be another member of that mostly Germanic group. The silver plastic and fiddly mouse wheels on the new XK's steering wheel are a particularly heinous act of sacrificing good taste at the altar of 'trendy' marketing and blatant penny-pinching by apparently (re)using cheap Ford parts.

The thought that there is apparently no more a place for those old craftsmen or their trade in car-making makes me very sad. To others my wooden dash may make my old XKR seem quirky, but to me it represents a last opportunity to enjoy a better time.

Last edited by JustNiz; 08-12-2010 at 05:48 PM.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:55 PM

I quite agree, I too would prefer to see more wood on the 2007 and up models. As I mentioned in a different thread, I thought that the Aston Martin DB9 was lacking in that respect also. Some time ago, a visiting friend from Germany opened the door to my XKR, and remarked about how the interior looked like a beautiful old Living Room or Study. To me, that was a fine compliment! That being said however, the Carbon Fibre Interiors are quite nice in their own way too, and certainly appeal to those who want a more updated look. I would love to see the BBC Documentary on how the Jag Burl Wood is picked, manufactured and installed. That would be fantastic, so I'll actively look for it!
Brian

Attached Thumbnails Where has all the wood gone?-p1010027.jpg   Where has all the wood gone?-p1010028.jpg  
Old 08-12-2010, 07:19 PM
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

I am going to say before hand - I predict that I would be the ultimate minority here .....

With all the talk of wood trim - I am actually really really interested to see how mine would look with bamboo trim. Don't know why - maybe my SE Asian heritage or something ....

Ok - now y'all can unleash those pile of bricks on me .....

Old 08-12-2010, 07:52 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder! I have been attempting to make furniture from age 16 and learned from a master craftsman that Walnut, Cherry, Mahogany along with other types of wood when used and finished properly can make a fine piece of furniture. I think Bamboo has come a long way and has earned its place in the furniture business. Go for it! I would love to see it.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:04 PM

There is room for all tastes, I would definitely like to see some pictures of it!
Brian

Old 08-12-2010, 11:31 PM
Location: Marin County, CA, USA - Just north of San Francisco
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Why wouldn't bamboo be considered "wood". It is very popular here for both it's beauty and it's ecology friendly nature (renewable source). We have several friends with it in their homes for flooring and I personally think it is beautiful - perhaps a bit lighter than walnut but WTH? Best, DaleD