XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Why???

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 01:33 PM
Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up Why???

I own an '02 S-type. My wife drives it. I repair it. Seems fair, right?

A couple of weeks ago I was in Kansas City and saw an XK (not certain if it was an 8 or R) parked on the side of the road on the Plaza. My eyes said, "That is a cool looking car. What is that?" I had to wlak around to the back to see what it was. It was the first I had seen. I fell in love.

My wife's 'S' is a little too tight for me in the driver's cockpit, especially on long trips. Is there more room for the driver's legs in the XK? Please tell me yes!

Also, please give all the good reasons (excuses) I need to convince my wife we need another Jag in the garage! Shoot all the reasons why I need an XK in this thread, PLEASE!!!!!

Old 07-22-2010, 02:25 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

Was it Steve's?

Justification to follow, we've got some tall owners, so they'll be able to speak on 'leg room' better than I at only 5'-11"

Old 07-22-2010, 02:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

I'm 6'8", 175 lbs, and I fit pretty well. I know some people shorter than me who didn't fit as well though. I have long legs and a shorter torso, but once I get under the wheel I am comfortable. I think head room is more of an issue for most people, especially in the convertibles. Simply put, the car feels tighter than it really is. I look at it like a nicely tailored suit compared to a one size fits all shirt. Sure the shirt has more room, but is that room really where you need it? I haven't been in an S-type, but generally coupes have a little more legroom than four doors, unless they are full size four doors. The short answer would be to find one and test it. The S-type is nice, but I'm not sure it will bring the sense of satisfaction the XK will whenever you go to drive it or even see it sitting there. Knowing that the car is yours and everyone is looking at it is quite something. I don't think there are many cars in this price range that can deliver the comfort, performance, and sense of satisfaction these cars do.

Last edited by K.Westra; 07-22-2010 at 02:34 PM.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:41 PM
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

I'm only 6'1", but have plenty of room in the R. But like KWestra said, there is definitely more headroom in the couple than vert, as I've been lucky enough to be in both quite a bit. As for reasons to own -- you know that satisfaction you feel everytime you get in the S-type? Multiply that by a hundred or so, and then you'll be close

Old 07-22-2010, 03:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm only 6'1", and fit fine in both my current XKR and my old S-Type (ironically, the latter was newer than the former!) Although I liked my S-Type and had a good number of compliments on it, they were nothing compared to the XKR. Would I own an S-Type again? Sure. But I really like owning the XKR...

Old 07-22-2010, 03:07 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BugDoc
Also, please give all the good reasons (excuses) I need to convince my wife we need another Jag in the garage!
You silly boys, always making things harder than they need to be!

Just let her test drive one, for God's sake! That'll do all the convincing for you. (P.S. Let her drive it around without you in it and she'll be "convinced" even faster. )

Of course, once you own one, you'll probably end up fighting over who gets to drive the XK; loser gets the S.

Old 07-22-2010, 03:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At 6'0 I've got about 1" of clearance between my head and the headliner with the seat in its lowest position. My father and brother are both about 6'3 and their heads hit the headliner with the top up. It took a little while getting used to climbing in and out of the car because the roof is so low but once inside its comfy even with the roof up.

Legroom has never been an issue for the driver or passenger but the rear seats are a joke. they aren't really good for anything other than storage.

One thing I don't like about the car is that I can't see how my head wouldn't go straight into the convertible top frame if there's ever a hard driver's side impact with the top up.......just more motivation to keep the top down!

Old 07-22-2010, 04:21 PM
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Was it my red Coupe you saw?

I go to the plaza a lot. Was it my red coupe you saw? I know there is a blue one and a newer black one that seem to be down there a lot too.

If head room is a concern get a coupe. I'm 6'-2" and I have no problem with room.

Old 07-22-2010, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by guzzi svt
I go to the plaza a lot. Was it my red coupe you saw? I know there is a blue one and a newer black one that seem to be down there a lot too.

If head room is a concern get a coupe. I'm 6'-2" and I have no problem with room.
The one I saw on the Plaza was a Silver Grey. I thought it was a hard-top convertable. Do they make one? To be honest, I do not remember if it was 2 or 4-door. I think I took a pic or two. I'll have to look.

So basically, there is no reason to buy one?

Old 07-22-2010, 05:01 PM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by BugDoc
The one I saw on the Plaza was a Silver Grey. I thought it was a hard-top convertable. Do they make one? To be honest, I do not remember if it was 2 or 4-door. I think I took a pic or two. I'll have to look.
Well look up XK8 and look up XJ8. Two cars that look totally different.

So basically, there is no reason to buy one?
No, there is no reason not to buy one.

Old 07-22-2010, 05:49 PM
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

I'm 6'1 and have no issue with it .... Heck, the first 2 days of owning it, I drove it for 1800+ miles from Northern Cal to Texas.

Do you really have to ask for reasons to buy it ... really .. :P

Bob

Old 07-22-2010, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by r0m8470
I'm 6'1 and have no issue with it .... Heck, the first 2 days of owning it, I drove it for 1800+ miles from Northern Cal to Texas.

Do you really have to ask for reasons to buy it ... really .. :P

Bob
Thanks Bob. It is always good to have reasons to spend money, right?

Where are you in Central Texas. We must not be too far from each other. I live in Temple.

Greg

Old 07-22-2010, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Fedoraja1
Well look up XK8 and look up XJ8. Two cars that look totally different.

No, there is no reason not to buy one.
Fedoraja1; It definitely was not an XJ. Maybe in 10-15 years the XJ might work. But it is not what I am looking for right now....

Old 07-22-2010, 10:17 PM
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Hey Greg - I'm in Round Rock Tx.

You do? That's interesting - I looked at an '02 XKR from a guy who lives @ Harker Heights. There's an independent dealer in RR area that advertise one right now - I think. It's an '00 Red convertible - look it up @ cars.com. If you need to get it inspected - there's a Jag-specialized shop in South Austin that can do that.

On a serious note - I can drone for quite a while to list the reasons - but to me, I've always wanted a nice GT - and the XKR fits that. If you read one of my earlier post - you'd understand. Jared has a line there from my old post that he used as his signature ..... :P

I seriously considered a CLK55 AMG before - but I could not be happier that I ended up with the XKR.

Good luck!

Old 07-23-2010, 12:44 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

Greg, did you find your pics on your phone?

XKs only come in 2-doors my friend. Verts only soft top also.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:20 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BugDoc-

Slightly off-topic but, for what it's worth, there is a good independent mechanic in Killeen. (In case you want another option that's closer than Austin). My brother uses him for his BMW, but this guy also does Jags and Mercedes and seems both reasonable in price and knowledgeable. (My brother is pretty picky about the care of his vehicles, so I trust his judgement).

Since I drive to Copperas Cove once a month, I like to make sure I have a repair option on that end, just in case something happens.

PM me if you want the mechanic's info.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:47 AM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm 6'2" and about 280 lbs, short legs and long torso, my head brushes the top liner but other than that I fit. I purchased my first Jag (99 XK8 conv) in 2003 after trying it on for fit. It was a better fit than a MB 280SL. I now own a 2003 XKR purchased in 2007. On a further note about fitting, I now have a prosthetic lower left leg (2008), it only takes an extra minute to stow my canes and get into the car.
Go try one on for size and don't look back with any regrets

Old 07-23-2010, 11:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take her to look at a convertible XK8.

Focus on headroom.

Deal done.

Old 07-24-2010, 01:10 PM

So what is this one?

They are saying it is an XJ220 on that website. But i do not see any XJ looking like it on the JaguarUSA webpage. Is it an Europe/Asia/Australia only model?

Last edited by BugDoc; 07-24-2010 at 01:15 PM.
Old 07-24-2010, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by xsvjag
BugDoc- Slightly off-topic but, for what it's worth, there is a good independent mechanic in Killeen. (In case you want another option that's closer than Austin). PM me if you want the mechanic's info.
I think I just used them to diagnois an ABS code on my S-type. Is that Euro-Tech?

They seemed like they knew what they were talking about.... but once they told me (for $75) which speed sensor was bad, I changed out the hub assembly myself and saved nearly $300.

But I will use them again. If that is not the place, let me know who you know!