XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Wife wants a 'Vette, I want a 911... guess what we agreed upon?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 03:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 540 Likes on 403 Posts
Default RE: Wife wants a 'Vette, I want a 911... guess what we agreed upon?

Hey Chris,

Here is a solution for you that may also make your wife happy. I have a 95 Vette that I bought new and lovingly cared for for the last 13+ years that my wife has hated since the day I brought it home. I recently bought a 2005 XKR to ease the pain of getting rid of the Vette. As it turns out I love both cars but there is no way I am keeping the Vette as I promised the wife it would go if I got the Jag. So if you are interested in a pretty good deal on a very clean pampered red coupe, let me know.

By the way, you will love the XK but you should try to spring for the XKR for a bit more fun.

Doug

Old 01-24-2009, 04:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All XKs put the luxury in sport, if you decide on it you will love it. You just feel different driving it. I bought my 05 XK8convertible a year ago after several months of looking and driving and haven't had a day of remorse. It is not a daily driver. The technicians on this site will check the VIN for you - it was a great help to me. If possible get a car with the jaguar select warranty. I also understand the need for American muscle and am just like your wife - I purchased a used 72 corvette stingrayin my 20's and cried the day I had to sell it to makea down payment on a condo. My husbandlovesthe old American muscle and constantlytalks about buying a late model Corvette, then he will change his mind to aCadillac CTS-V. I don't care what he drives as long as I have my XK. Husband is tall (long waisted) and doesn't really fit in the jag unless the top is down, so he is my passenger. The back seat isn't much, holds the groceries and laptop. The trunk will surprise you. XK8 or XKR, either way, do it. The 'R' is impressive. Good luck and do wait until you settle on that new house.

Old 01-24-2009, 06:36 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

Welcome chris! My xk8 was my first convertible ever, and was pretty cautious at first, with seeing older convertlbles with 'pillowing' tops, horrible road noise with them up, and windy as heck with them down. I was so impressed with the jags convertible system. Its just as quiet with the top down as my old Jeep Grand cherokee, and actually is not too breezy when driving around w/ the top down. Going highway speeds dont count, you're hair gets messed up in any car w/ the windows down at that speed. If you can, drive a coupe and then the convertible. Knowing you can drop the top and drive home under the stars makes the commute very enjoyable after a hard days work. I also haven't driven the R versions, but i like the power and quickness of the standard XK8, 290 hp i think, bumping another 100hp w/ the R version would be extremely fast. Not that it's an issue, but dougs XKR gets around 16mpg average, I average over 21 consistently w/ mixed highway and city driving. Me thinks dougs supercharger is a thirsty girl.

Keep the thread updated on your research and progress.

Sorry can't help you with your PS #2. I don't think the coupes have any more rear passenger space than the verts.

Old 01-24-2009, 10:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chris,
I purchased my 2006 XKR about two months ago, I had a 260Z, 280Z, TR-6 and Spitfire in a younger life. My last five cars have been SAAB's and GM screwed that up. I drive my Jag to work daily and I can't get enough of this car. The back seat will hold my 12 year old daughter for a short trip but it's better for a jacket or Gym bag.
The trunk will hold two golf bags or enough baggage for a weekend trip. I drove the XK-8 and the difference in power compared to the XKR is night and day. You turn off the DSC and you will see how much fun it is to let the rear get a little loose. The whine of the supercharger as it kicks in is music and the watch the needle get to 100 in a few seconds will show you that this is a driver's car.
The only feeling that is more intense is when I am in the air andchasing clouds.
The current prices for a two to three year old XKRs are so low that you can't go wrong. For the price of a newMaxima I got mine and still have two years left on the warranty.
Come on, jump in the water is fine.

The following users liked this post:
Billieg (08-20-2019)
Old 01-25-2009, 10:42 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Chris I have a 2000 XK8 Coupe with 27K miles that I purchased this past November with a 4 year 60K mile warranty. I also have an 88 Corvette Coupe that I purchased 11 years ago. I have replaced or rebuilt everything except the rear end on the Vette. It IS an American Mussel car with a built engine with cam and all of the other goodies that one puts into a "go fast" engine.

I drive my XK8 to work and back, 60 miles round trip but not as a daily driver. The wife takes it back and forth to work a couple of times a week for her 40 mile round trip.

The Vette has more torque than the XK8 so it sits you back into the seat more on take off and when passing. The exhaust is louder and there are more squeaks and rattles due to all of the plastic in the car. The seats are fantastic. They really hold you with all of the bolster and tilt settings that you can do. I have an Arrest Me Red Vette and I've been pulled over several times by police doing 10 miles over the limit and I think mainly due to the color, I really stand out. It can take a corner at a higher speed than the XK8 due to the stiffer suspension. 1988 has stiffersprings and anti sway bars than any of the other years new or old. That was the year of the Corvette Challenge when GM build a several race versions and won every race they entered.

The XK8 has good pickup and is very very quiet other than tire noise (Dunlap 5000's on the car now). Very little wind noise. If you're in "D" and the "S" switch is off, putting the peddle to the floor to pass gets you around but nothing earth shattering. Press that "S" button down and that little red light comes on and you are now driving a totally different car! You now play ina higher RPM range and the car comes alive. My wife and I feel the seats suck. They are not as padded as the Vette's seats and do not offer the support in corners that the Vette seats have so hang on!

My kids are grown and gone so the back seat holds our jackets. I tried sitting in the passenger's side back seat once. I'm 5'5", 180 lbs. I had one heck of a time getting back out. No way can my 6' son ride there with his long legs. The XK8 has more room than the Vette. Besides the rear seat you have a trunk/boot. With the Vette you have about an XK8's trunk and 1/4. The convertible Vette has about zero room. If you're looking at a 1997 and up Vette you'll have a bit more room than a 1996 and older.

I have never been in an XKR. If you are looking at an XK and you and your wife want a mussel car that will turn heads but is a real sleeper, THAT'S the XK to get. It has about 100 hp more than the XK8 and it too has the little red "S" button that I'm sure will put a semi-permanent smile on your face.

I test drove a 2005 Corvette Coupe that had all of the options, heads up display etc.. It was a 6 speed. It moved, not doubt but it felt very light in the rear and was not as quiet inside as the Jag. It's only a 2 seat car. You're not going to put a human sitting behind the two seats!

As much of a Corvette fan as I am I bought the Jaguar and I would do it again. The ONLY draw back that I can see between the two cars is the cost of parts to repair them. Jaguar is VERY proud of their parts and demand a very high price for them.

Good luck!

Old 01-25-2009, 02:18 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

She looks hot! Most likely, the warranty is out or very close, even if it had the select edition by jaguar, as mine ends in March. It probably is worth closer to $20...the 'R's always fetch fairly higher prices than the standard 8s, but you can always negotiate. Winter is a great time to buy a convertible.

You'll hear the same maintenance issues from many 03-05 owners, the hydraulic lines in the top may rupture (messy too), the telescoping steering wheel (or tilt) may give out, suspension parts may be ready for some new bushings...in my case, also my shock mounts were sagging and causing uneven tire wear since the alignment specs could not be met w/o repairs...that was around 60k miles. Everything else is minor...brakes, expansion tank or thermostat housing (coolant leaks), etc.

I don't mean to discourage you, not at all. Its been all worth it.

Old 01-25-2009, 02:24 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Corvette & 911 are sports cars. The XKR is a GT car. Both the Vette & 911 will walk an R in a performance match. However the R will be better for day to day driving.

The back seats on these cars are pretty pointless, but if you are in a tight situation can hold 4 adults, uncomfortably, at once.

Nick

Old 09-09-2009, 11:30 AM
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Sentinelist,

I was raised with an alfa in the garage (1962 giulietta spider- now with 1750, webers, etc.), still have it. Had several four banger BMW's, etc. A week before I purchased my 2003 XK8 coupe I had the opportunity to pitch a suffucient bitch with the Hertz rental car office at the Orlando airport (not really at the airport that was one issue) I got a fully loaded very hot vette with all performance package, etc. for $36/day - the price of the mustang I reserved on a "deal" in lieu of compact shoe box.

I always had a snobby attitude towards vettes as alfas are pretty quick around corners, etc. but was quite impressed with raw power available and very grateful that I looked immedialty to my left to see the local trooper sitting in my blind spot when I was about to try it out big time on way back to airport. This was a brand new car with less than 100 miles on it and was exciting. Lots of creaks groans and rattles and wind noise compared to my six year old jag.

The vette was a fun hot date, glad I married the Jag!

The XK8 is definitly a lower maintnance animal than the XKR. I liken it to the experience with the Alfa. I started going after all the horsepower I could get. stiffest springs, stiff sway bar, biggest venturis on carbs and had a very fast very loud car that can corner like a go cart. Generally was pretty lurchy below 3,000 rpm but could wind up well over 7,000 no problem. Now that I am pushing 50, glad I kept the softer springs, found out the hard way that smaller venturis do take away from top end but give you a lot of more useful power from stop light to stop light and tight windy corners. The XKR has features that make it a competitive car off the show room floor. Driving a competitive car is more expensive on a day to day basis if you never use the power.

I find the XK8 to have incredible straigh line acceleration, etc. Not really wanting for more. I do not spend as much time putting the car side ways as before either. XKR's have a lot of other goodies in suspension department, etc. as well as hotter engine. I just did not have the nerve to bite off the maintenance budget. Part of this goes to the type of driver that goes for the XKR is often performance oriented and genearlly will push a car a little harder all around. I think this might explain some of the factor of why as you get to the older models you can get either XK8 or XKR for about the same money.

There are not a lot of coupes out there I think they last better. I think the eventual value of the stiffer body and rarity will eventually lead to a higher or equal price to similar mileage rag tops (contrary to all other intuition, top goes down, price goes up).

Get the kid started in Yoga early if you are going to stuff them in back seat. The trunk has more room. Working on a rumble seat aftermarket accessory.

Good luck!
Steven (1avguy)

Old 09-09-2009, 12:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 540 Likes on 403 Posts

Hey Chris--welcome back. I still have that 95 Vette for sale if you are interested

Anyway, the benefit of your having waited almost a year is that the already bargain prices on the XK8/XKR have gotten even lower. You should have a pretty good selection of affordable samples to choose from.

Doug

Old 09-09-2009, 01:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually, the back seat on this..and many others, was never meant to carry people. Insurance companies classify a 4-seater different, so many mfgs know this and install them to help on the price. I think they also get a break on Import fees, but not sure.

Old 09-12-2009, 07:25 AM
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Here is a thought. Having had my coupe for 8 years now and have also had a family there is no way I would try to use an xk anything for the family. Car seats are huge. strollers are even bigger, then there is all of the stuff. On top of that these cars are low. Imagine bending over to put your child in and out of the car every time you stop some where. REALLY THINK ABOUT THIS!!!! Buy the XF it is a beautiful car. It has xk lines but would be far better for a growing family. Plus they are alot more cost effective. Just wait until you have to decide on diapers or ...... You owe it to your new family to at least look at the XF and XF-R. Just what I would do having had a two door car when my family started and my wife said thats it I cant take climbing in and out of that car anymore. We need more doors.

Old 09-12-2009, 10:23 AM
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

sentinelist,

If you want a split personality car, I have a really well maintained 2003 sebring for sale that might be worth a plane ticket and drive back from california.

Still two door coupe but a lot easier to get suff in and out. Came with hot mitsubishi V6, twin overhead cam roller cam, 5 speed, all available options, leather, premium audio, polished chrome alloys, pirelli p6 tires and recently had all engine consumables -timing belt, timining belt tensioner, radiator hoses, heater hoses, ac belt, ps belt, plugs, wires, etc. replaced. The wife was going to drive it when I was shoppng for the XK8, She saw a used BMW I was looking at, suddenly we have a BMW and an XK8 as well as a very close to restored condition Sebring.

It is pretty cut throat out there so the car is advertised at about $1,500 below retail book and their are other later model. lower mileage, stripped down versions out there at lower prices. It will probably go for less than $6,000.

It has been great as a family and personal car. Driver seat more comfortable than my XK8 as it adjusts in less ways but more logical ways. It plays family car real well, drop off the kids, drop the seat down and back, drop it in to lower gear and hang on. Much quicker off the line than the wifes 325i (a 330i is a test of driver skill) and is quicker through the s-turns than the XK8 (but not the other way around).

I will attempt to throw a photo up on my garage.

Steven (1avguy)

Old 03-04-2019, 10:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 692 Likes on 376 Posts

When I read the heading that the wife wanted a Vette and he wanted a 911, guess what they agreed upon, I thought, "Oh, crap, he's getting a Prius".
That's just my mind wandering. Anyway, I love driving my XK8 convertible and I really never get tired of driving it, no matter how long the trip. There aren't many around, so it's a pretty unique car. I can honestly say that this is the best built, most reliable car I've ever owned. And the cheapest to maintain. By far most of what I've done has been preventive maintenance. I have yet to replace an exterior light bulb, they are all original and still work. The original battery lasted 14 years. And it's the best looking car on the road. Take a trip through the White Mountains of New Hampshire with the top down and it will all make sense.

Old 03-05-2019, 05:41 AM
Received 105 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by stu46h
When I read the heading that the wife wanted a Vette and he wanted a 911, guess what they agreed upon, I thought, "Oh, crap, he's getting a Prius".
That's just my mind wandering. Anyway, I love driving my XK8 convertible and I really never get tired of driving it, no matter how long the trip. There aren't many around, so it's a pretty unique car. I can honestly say that this is the best built, most reliable car I've ever owned. And the cheapest to maintain. By far most of what I've done has been preventive maintenance. I have yet to replace an exterior light bulb, they are all original and still work. The original battery lasted 14 years. And it's the best looking car on the road. Take a trip through the White Mountains of New Hampshire with the top down and it will all make sense.
Hmmmmm, 10 year old thread, wonder what he got and did he keep it or sell it. I traded my Vette in on a pre-owned 98 XK8 and while the Vette was a hoot to drive, the XK8 wins hands down. I agree fully. Any drive in the Jag is a good drive.

scottjh9 (03-28-2019)
Old 03-05-2019, 09:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Scottsgreenjag
Hmmmmm, 10 year old thread, wonder what he got and did he keep it or sell it. I traded my Vette in on a pre-owned 98 XK8 and while the Vette was a hoot to drive, the XK8 wins hands down. I agree fully. Any drive in the Jag is a good drive.
I also traded a 2000 Corvette convertible for a 2006 carbon fiber XK8 convertible two and a half years ago. Absolutely love the styling of the Jag over the vet and I was a Corvette lover for 35 years.

Old 03-06-2019, 01:25 AM
Received 92 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by wukyone
I also traded a 2000 Corvette convertible for a 2006 carbon fiber XK8 convertible two and a half years ago. Absolutely love the styling of the Jag over the vet and I was a Corvette lover for 35 years.
Me too. I owned a 1991 ZR1 for 25 years. Sold it and bought my 04 XKR. The Jag is not as fast but way more sophisticated. Much like the difference between me 25 years ago and me now.

Billieg (08-20-2019)

Quick Reply: Wife wants a 'Vette, I want a 911... guess what we agreed upon?