XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will The X100 Body Style 96-06 XK8 / XKR Become A Classic Like E-Type In The Future

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 11:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 538 Likes on 401 Posts

As I have probably already said I believe the car is already a "classic", maybe not in investment terms but in general styling terms. The car never fails to get compliments even from people who work with cars such as valets and parking attendants. When I was parking at the local airport the other day the guy operating the gate to let cars in went out of his way to compliment the car (and all he does all day is see cars). Then the other day a somewhat weird incident. I was driving down the main boulevard with my wife and was stopped at a light. I noticed a guy sitting on the nearby bench waiting for a bus was waving. When I looked over he kept pointing to the car and making a big "thumbs up" sign and the "okay" hand sign and smiling and nodding. These cars never fail to be admired.

Doug

Old 02-17-2014, 05:32 AM
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Default 'calumny'

Hi folks, appreciate your comments and agree with most of them.

I too do not like or rate the direction that Jaguar has taken under, in my view, the talentless Callum and his acolyte Julian Thompson. Formless cobbled together abortions that are totally non-Jaguar have resulted. They may sell well (to the non-discerning) but have no link either to the old company, its founder nor any lineage heritage to the true Jaguars.

XK8 was designed as the first Jaguar sports car to hit the market after the Ford takeover and the sad demise of XJ40/XJ41. The then talented design team, led by the very able Geoff Lawson, were responsible for its conception and yes, economics dictated that much was a carry over from the XJS. Lawson's team over the period 1984 to his unfortunate sudden untimely death in 1999 was responsible for the X300, X100, X200, X400 and the beautiful X600 and X350 was well advanced. Lawson gave his talented people their head and full credit for their own work. Keith Helfett and Adam Hatton under Geoff did XJ40/41 the first E-type replacement, and the true second F-type concept X600 (cancelled after Reitzle's departure in 2002) along with XJ220 and the brilliant XK180 along the way. This was the true lineage of Jaguar and Sir William Lyons personally rated Keith Helfet as his spiritual successor and personally groomed him to see the true Jaguar line on XJ40/41.

Unfortunately, Helfet's mild manners and natural self-effacement did not win in the hard battle of politics and that went on inside Ford to appoint Lawson's successor. XJ40/41 was cancelled by Ford on cost grounds but they had also bought the ailing Aston Martin brand. Behind Jaguar's back, and out with Helfet's knowledge, Ford GAVE the design to Aston and after a few tweaks and tucks by Callum, their chief designer at the time, it emerged as the company lifesaver DB7. Callum's greatest design and one claim to fame is in fact Helfet's work! His first and only skill is plagiarism. To reward him for Helfet's achievements, Ford gave him Lawson's job and Helfet and others departed.

XK8 is a compromise but a good one. With a manual box and the XJ16 engine- which it should have had, and would have had, had not Ford come on the scene it would be hailed as the E-Type replacement, albeit a more luxurious one. As it is, it comes pretty damn close and is the last car with a link to the people who helped Jaguar make it through the wilderness years. Us older guys who were young when the E-type was new, buy them since there is close visual affinity and they are more compatible these days with elderly limbs and slowed reactions.

The following 6 users liked this post by calumnity:
ArtyH (11-28-2014), CorStevens (10-05-2017), GalaxyDriver (11-29-2014), oyster (02-20-2014), sharay38 (02-20-2014), Spikepaga (02-18-2014) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-17-2014, 10:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 538 Likes on 401 Posts

Interesting bit of history there. I don't know all that much about the ins and outs of behind the scenes politics that go on inside the workings or automotive manufacturers and these thing probably even change on a decade-by-decade basis. But I do sense that true "classics" are few and far between. For example, American cars that come to mind for me are the 1957 Thunderbird, 1956 Lincoln Continental, 1958 Cadillac Eldorado, many Corvettes, etc. I is probably no coincidence that the 1950s cars coincided with my early adolescent years where young boys start noticing cars.

I believe the XK8/XKR essentially falls into the same category as the E-type in that the overall basic design and concept is timeless. I cannot imagine 20 years from now anyone seeing a current vintage XF or even XK having the same admiration as seeing an XK8/XKR.

Doug

Old 02-17-2014, 11:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,405 Likes on 750 Posts

Originally Posted by govatos
I wonder if any current car is going to be a classic. So many parts of today's cars are made of plastic, which deteriorates over time. Makes one wonder if they will be able to restore them in the future.

Didn't read whole thread, but this doesn't worry me much.

3D printing is slowly starting to make this a non-issue. I predict than a few short years, 3D printers will be affordable to the masses.

Old 02-17-2014, 01:44 PM
Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Will The X100 Body Style 96-06 XK8 / XKR Become A Classic Like E-Type In The Future-picture-244-800x600-.jpg

Took me 2 years to find a low milage XKR (38k) and built 1 month before the model ended. In 20 years time (if it still looks like this), who wouldn't pay double what I did ? TS

Old 02-17-2014, 06:09 PM
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I absolutely love this forum, and my XK8. First time Jag owner and I've only had it a few weeks. But this is by far the best vehicle I have ever owned, and I have owned a variety of cars and trucks. In the few short weeks we've owned it, I've found that it already is a classic in my eyes, the lines are perfect, the finish inside and out is beautiful, it drives like its on a rail, (might make one a little over confident, not sure yet.) Plenty of power and performance. Although not the fastest car I've driven, it is by far the most fun. And of course it turns heads, but the only head that counts is mine, and I cant take my eyes off of it. This car has classic in its blood. This car is definitely in the classic car status now, I will buy a second one. I don't know everything about it yet but I know what I like. And I'm learning more every day thanks to everyone here. I love the history learned here and read this forum daily. Thanks everyone and my opinion, yes it will be a very collectible classic.

Old 02-17-2014, 10:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 567 Likes on 514 Posts

When I sit in our XK8's driver's seat, I am reminded of a car I had many years ago. It was a quirky looking car, almost a 3/4 scale XKE - the Triumph GT6.

Now, the feel of the polished wood shift knob in my hand and the smell of the leather take me back to when I felt cars were fun to drive. That is the XK8's classic link for me.

Old 02-18-2014, 03:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 148 Posts

I have to tell you that for me today is a very important date! I HAVE JUST KNOW THE DAUGHTER OF GEOFF LAWSON, Verity! It is an honor for me told him that his father's pencil has generated a passion for all of us and at this moment she is reading this page via our tribute to his father who died when she was just 7 years!
told me that she is really happy that there are so many fans for this car designed by his father and that she did not think it was as well known.

Old 02-18-2014, 10:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Looking at this view of the XJ41.....

Can you tell me that Ford Didn't steal this rear end design for the new "retro" mustang?

That's immediately what I thought of when I saw this car.

Take care,

George

Attached Thumbnails Will The X100 Body Style 96-06 XK8 / XKR Become A Classic Like E-Type In The Future-xj41_rqproto.jpg  
Old 02-18-2014, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 567 Likes on 514 Posts

Originally Posted by androulakis
Looking at this view of the XJ41.....

Can you tell me that Ford Didn't steal this rear end design for the new "retro" mustang?

That's immediately what I thought of when I saw this car.

Take care,

George

That's a bit of a stretch.. To me they are cloned from the '69-'70 fastback Mustangs.

Old 02-18-2014, 11:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,349 Likes on 2,846 Posts

I'm showing my age here, but I see shades of the Oldsmobile Toronado....

Old 02-18-2014, 11:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 558 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by calumnity
Hi folks, appreciate your comments and agree with most of them.

I too do not like or rate the direction that Jaguar has taken under, in my view, the talentless Callum and his acolyte Julian Thompson. Formless cobbled together abortions that are totally non-Jaguar have resulted. They may sell well (to the non-discerning) but have no link either to the old company, its founder nor any lineage heritage to the true Jaguars.

XK8 was designed as the first Jaguar sports car to hit the market after the Ford takeover and the sad demise of XJ40/XJ41. The then talented design team, led by the very able Geoff Lawson, were responsible for its conception and yes, economics dictated that much was a carry over from the XJS. Lawson's team over the period 1984 to his unfortunate sudden untimely death in 1999 was responsible for the X300, X100, X200, X400 and the beautiful X600 and X350 was well advanced. Lawson gave his talented people their head and full credit for their own work. Keith Helfett and Adam Hatton under Geoff did XJ40/41 the first E-type replacement, and the true second F-type concept X600 (cancelled after Reitzle's departure in 2002) along with XJ220 and the brilliant XK180 along the way. This was the true lineage of Jaguar and Sir William Lyons personally rated Keith Helfet as his spiritual successor and personally groomed him to see the true Jaguar line on XJ40/41.

Unfortunately, Helfet's mild manners and natural self-effacement did not win in the hard battle of politics and that went on inside Ford to appoint Lawson's successor. XJ40/41 was cancelled by Ford on cost grounds but they had also bought the ailing Aston Martin brand. Behind Jaguar's back, and out with Helfet's knowledge, Ford GAVE the design to Aston and after a few tweaks and tucks by Callum, their chief designer at the time, it emerged as the company lifesaver DB7. Callum's greatest design and one claim to fame is in fact Helfet's work! His first and only skill is plagiarism. To reward him for Helfet's achievements, Ford gave him Lawson's job and Helfet and others departed.

XK8 is a compromise but a good one. With a manual box and the XJ16 engine- which it should have had, and would have had, had not Ford come on the scene it would be hailed as the E-Type replacement, albeit a more luxurious one. As it is, it comes pretty damn close and is the last car with a link to the people who helped Jaguar make it through the wilderness years. Us older guys who were young when the E-type was new, buy them since there is close visual affinity and they are more compatible these days with elderly limbs and slowed reactions.
Thank you for posting this.

Not only is Callum quite untalented at his craft, as of late his design team have taken to attacking the Lawson era designs as mistakes, which is quite unfortunate considering all they are currently able to produce are Lexus vehicles slapped with a leaper running to the side of the road on the trunk. The fact that a very large number of so called car-critics are enamoured with his bland, generic and cookie cutter designs is no "proof" that Callum is any good. He has even managed to make the F type look like a Nissan z350 on the nose, even with all the great work Lawson's team did on the last F type prototype.

What's even more unfortunate is that Callum seems to have achieved some type of superstar status as he always seems to be the person speaking about the brand at events. You would think it is him and not Mr. Tata that owns the company.

It has been very sad to see all connections to the past severed and I don't think it will work on the long run for Jaguar once the novelty of the generic cars wears of.

The XK8, S type X350Xj and even the X type are 100 times the line up that the current batch is. You would be hard pressed to confuse any of those cars with anything other than a Jaguar from miles away.

The following 2 users liked this post by Spikepaga:
oyster (02-20-2014), User 070620 (02-19-2014)
Old 02-20-2014, 12:52 PM
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

From the first time I saw an XK8 more than a decade ago, I was impressed that its appearance was the natural evolution of the E Type. It remains a beautiful styling, and better than the later designs.

Old 02-20-2014, 01:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 323 Posts

This discussion reminds me of a scene in the Woody Allen Film "Stardust Memories".

In one of the scenes, a Movie Director (Played by Woody) is told by a fan "we love your movies, especially the "Older Funny Ones".

To paraphrase, I like Jaguars, especially the "Older Beautiful Ones".

Old 02-20-2014, 03:35 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

What is the most attractive E-type. Convertible or Coupé ?
That could be answered by what makes the best price

Old 11-27-2014, 08:19 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Men and Women strangers believe my car is new (97 xk8 coupe blue with Detroit 20' rims) Kids which is most satisfying pushing shrugging their friends to take a look with huge smiles as I drive by. Friends who have a new benz or a 5 series BMW and have been around my car for years - Still, Still comment on how Beautiful she Is........It is a Special Car and deserves to be an Emerging Classic. Answer YES!

Old 11-28-2014, 05:44 AM
Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts
Talking

Just my 2 penarth. For years I have loved Jaguar cars, but could not afford them.
Then one night while on a tour of duty saw a beautiful light blue XJS in one of our local garage show rooms. My work mate and I would drive to this garage every few weeks to admire it and discuss it merits. After a few months he had to call into the garage to arrange a service for his car, while he was organising this I took the time to have a look at the XJS up close. I was very impressed and enquired with the garage owner about the car, he said it was a farmers car who had recently died and he was storing it until his estate was settled. The car was up for auction a few months later and I won it in a bidding battle by £150. I LOVED my XJS, and while it was in first class condition I believe it is now better than when it was purchased, still has only 43k on the clock.
Some 6 year later I was sitting admiring the XK8 on several sites and checked the prices on ebay and local auto trader sites. Surprisingly the prices had fallen to levels which I thought were reasonable, and I had retired by then, so had time to do a bit of work myself which would make the potential purchase more manageable. I looked for about 2 years, and one Sunday afternoon in August saw a Sapphire blue coupe with 63k on the clock and it looked in good condition, it was on ebay so I put in a daft bid, and won! I could not believe it, so my son and I got the train to london and viewed the
car, bought it and drove it home. Unfortunately half way back it went into limp home mode, but we made it back without any further problems. It had covered about 370 miles in the last 4 years, I did that in almost one trip! Yes the auto box needs replaced, so I bought on with 37k miles on it when the original one finally packs up, but its still holding up at this time and only occasionally bumps into gear. All in all I believe the other major jobs have been completed leaving only the auto box to be replaced ( £250 quoted this year ) and the headlining to change as the current one is starting to droop. So my grill is bought and rear spoiler too, both just to fit, and something I can complete myself.
Is it a future classic? NO!
It is a classic NOW! As is the XJS, they both are and I love them both as much, I get such a kick out of driving either one, my problem is next year which one to put on the road??? Its like having a wife and a lover, which do you chose???
By the way I only have a wife for those who were wondering

The following users liked this post:
mjlaris (11-28-2014)
Old 11-28-2014, 07:50 AM
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

When it comes to cars NO-ONE really knows... BUT when it comes to the simple indicators that may give a hint of a cars future status the XK8 esp the XKR has great chance of having a cult following with strong future worth.

Example... who wouldn't thought a 93' Supra esp the turbo, RX7, NSX or 87' Buick Regal Grand National would be worth so much and be future classics.
Sometimes you can never tell... so one day we can wake up and the XKR you have may be worth crazy money or at worse it'll be worth even money of what you paid... say a BMW 8 series, 928 GTS, 968 or 944 turbo Porsche.

Old 11-28-2014, 06:35 PM
Received 247 Likes on 177 Posts
Default Just one man's opinion

Having a few years on many of the previous posters (not all I'd bet), and having the good fortune (or sheer foolishness) over those almost 7 decades I was able to own or otherwise sample a wide range of today's most desired collector cars. They are a different breed from those that are considered "collectible' as their value has been well established and will continue to go up.

The original E type is a classic for several reasons, not the least of which is the incredible leap in styling from the previous iteration of sports cars that had roamed the highways for the better part of 40 years. It was not only a beautiful car and an expression of the best example to date of the post=war move to what are called envelope body cars that integrated the fenders into the overall style as if everything was chiseled from one piece instead of being hung on. Yes, there were some earlier examples such as the MGA's and the Healy 3000 but nothing with the total package that was the essence of the E Type and carried with it the cache that attached to Jaguars.

The XK's and other intermediate models between the E Type and the XK8's simple don't make such a break from the past and if looked at dispassionately simple don't add-up. When the XK's or X100's more specifically broke cover they were recognized almost immediately as the true extension of the E Type DNA.

The fly in the ointment, in my opinion, is that the X100's are not a truly great departure from the past but a more organic, albeit beautiful, extension of what came before. In much the same way that the "New" Beetle revived the interest in not only the Beetle but the entire Volkswagen line the XK's served to reintroduce to the world the idea of owning a Jaguar.

To me that makes the XK's collectible but not a collector car.

Last edited by RDMinor; 11-28-2014 at 06:38 PM. Reason: X to E-Type
The following users liked this post:
CorStevens (10-05-2017)
Old 11-28-2014, 07:05 PM
Received 126 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by RDMinor
Having a few years on many of the previous posters (not all I'd bet), and having the good fortune (or sheer foolishness) over those almost 7 decades I was able to own or otherwise sample a wide range of today's most desired collector cars. They are a different breed from those that are considered "collectible' as their value has been well established and will continue to go up.

The original E type is a classic for several reasons, not the least of which is the incredible leap in styling from the previous iteration of sports cars that had roamed the highways for the better part of 40 years. It was not only a beautiful car and an expression of the best example to date of the post=war move to what are called envelope body cars that integrated the fenders into the overall style as if everything was chiseled from one piece instead of being hung on. Yes, there were some earlier examples such as the MGA's and the Healy 3000 but nothing with the total package that was the essence of the E Type and carried with it the cache that attached to Jaguars.

The XK's and other intermediate models between the E Type and the XK8's simple don't make such a break from the past and if looked at dispassionately simple don't add-up. When the XK's or X100's more specifically broke cover they were recognized almost immediately as the true extension of the E Type DNA.

The fly in the ointment, in my opinion, is that the X100's are not a truly great departure from the past but a more organic, albeit beautiful, extension of what came before. In much the same way that the "New" Beetle revived the interest in not only the Beetle but the entire Volkswagen line the XK's served to reintroduce to the world the idea of owning a Jaguar.

To me that makes the XK's collectible but not a collector car.

I don't think that anyone implied, or thinks that our XK8/R's will be anywhere near the level of "collectible car" that the original XKE was. You are obviously quite correct that that car was so unique at its time and such a departure from the normal car being manufactured that it was on a completely different level from the other cars in its time and that our current XK's are just "warmed over versions" of that great car, which was a milestone in automobile manufacturing.
Though this thread has taken many twists and turns over the years, the original question was whether or not this car would become a "classic, like the E-Type". The answer is both yes and no. Yes, it will become a "classic", keeping in mind that early Mustangs and Camaro's and Barracuda's and '57 Chevie's, among many others are considered, "classics". The No part is that it will not be a classic at the level of the original XKE, which was, as you note, a totally unique departure from the automobiles being produced at that time.
I don't think that anyone here bought one of these cars expecting to "make money" on it in the near or even longer term future. As for me, I bought mine five years ago because I fell in love with the original XKE and when I first saw the XK8, I saw it as a very good update of that classic and then, when I found out how little I could buy one for, I did so, supposing that it would not depreciate nearly as much as a normal car would over that time period, and I have been proven to be right about that.
The original XKE was truly a landmark of a car, and a truly stunning car in its time and our XK8/R's are not anywhere near that level of departure in engineering or style for their time period, but I have no doubt that they are/will be considered "Classic Cars" in most any respect of the term.

Quick Reply: Will The X100 Body Style 96-06 XK8 / XKR Become A Classic Like E-Type In The Future