XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Will XKR and XK8 be a future classic

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 11:41 PM
Received 126 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Gator Blue
I think your question is one we have all asked ourselves from time to time. I was curious and decided to ask someone who knows the business inside and out - Wayne Carini. My question to him was something along the lines of "will the XK8/R be considered a classic. He agreed the car is beautiful but his answer was quite simple - "No time soon".
Yes, by "definition" he is quite correct. It can't be considered a "classic car" until at least 2027.

Classic car - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A classic car is an older automobile; the exact definition varies around the world. The Classic Car Club of America maintains that a car must be between 30 and 49 years old to be a classic, while cars between 50 and 99 fall into a pre-antique class, and cars 100 years and older fall into the Antique Class. In the UK, 'classic cars' range from veteran (pre–First World War), to vintage (1919–1930), to post-vintage (1930s). Post–Second World War classic cars are not so precisely defined.

Old 04-07-2015, 10:17 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Classic, collectible, etc.

"Will it be a classic? " Doesn't it depend on what you want to do with it- sell it for a higher price to some one who wants to exhibit, own a unique design, or qualify for an event. I want to own and drive a car that is not available anymore and pleasing to look at. My XK8 qualifies for me.

There several related definitions or similar categories- classic, vintage, antique, unusual, rare, and collectible. One uses before 1960, another before 1974.

VSCCA, Vintage Sports Car Club of America - vintage racing - VSCCA.org - ©AutoPhotos 2014, Ed Hyman "Class II - Rare & Unusual Sports Cars and Race cars Built after 1944 but not after December 31, 1959"

Virginia uses this definition antique and vintage

Passenger vehicles and trailers manufactured in or after 1973 are not eligible to use vintage license plates, as DMV began issuing yearly decals for passenger vehicles and trailers in 1973. You will only be able to use antique or standard license plates issued by DMV on those vehicles.

This event uses this definition.

To show a car | The Elegance At Hershey

The focus for The Elegance is custom-coachwork Classics and unique sports/ racing and special interest vehicles with historical importance produced prior to 1960.

Last edited by rflexible; 04-07-2015 at 10:20 AM.
Old 04-07-2015, 12:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 561 Posts

Originally Posted by Gator Blue
I think your question is one we have all asked ourselves from time to time. I was curious and decided to ask someone who knows the business inside and out - Wayne Carini. My question to him was something along the lines of "will the XK8/R be considered a classic. He agreed the car is beautiful but his answer was quite simple - "No time soon".
These cars are too common and too new to be collectible. Even the rarest variant isn't that rare. One thing too is that too many people are taking excellent care of these cars and not using them up and crashing them.

I'm only 27 but have passed on some cars that I really regret. I passed on a $29k early Maserati Khamsin, 420 produced, and that's still not really that rare. I really wanted a Bora and they've gone up in value, walking away from that car hurt bad. I've wanted a Ferrari 308GTS QV, and I felt it would be too unreliable for my purposes, and I didn't have room for 4 sports cars at the time. I've seen all of them go up and away in value. The next time I get an itch for an italian car, I'm going to scratch the damn thing! It wasn't really so much the money that I didn't buy so much as the daily usability and low overall reliability.

I really like the Lotus Esprit Steven's redesign in Turbo SE, Sport 300, S4 and S4S. I prefer the low mount spoiler rather than the S4 halfway up job. I had a blast driving this 91 Turbo SE but walked away because although the car was nice, the seller seemed really shady (of course you lost the clutch replacement paperwork from the local shop and you can't get a reprinted receipt). I think that's one of the more modern cars that will stay stable for a bit and within 10 years start to go up. The Giugiaro cars are cool, but the Stevens cars are significantly faster and I like crazy features like outboard brakes.

Old 04-07-2015, 02:09 PM
Received 126 Likes on 110 Posts

The term "Classic Car" is too ambiguous to definitively answer the question put forth in the OP.
A lot of people are using the term as though it means "Collect-able". In my mind "Collect-able" means a car or item that you purchase with the expectation that it will go up in value. In that case, I agree with the esteemed Wayne Carini in that if these cars will ever go up in value like we have seen the XKE and some muscle cars do, it will, in fact, be a long, long time.
Now, if you get away from the strict terminology of "Classic Car" and use just the word "Classic" as defined here.....

Classic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"A classic is an outstanding example of a particular style, something of lasting worth or with a timeless quality. The word can be an adjective (a classic car) or a noun (a classic of English literature). It denotes a particular quality in art, architecture, literature, design, technology, or other cultural artifacts."

Using this criteria, to me, these cars are already "Classic", and the key term being, "timeless quality".

Old 04-08-2015, 10:39 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A little over a year ago I was invited to meet with Jamie Kitman (New York Bureau Chief for Automotive Magazine, Car Reviewer for GQ, and an impressive list of other jobs) during a trip he was making from Los Angeles to New York City in a McLaren MP4-12C he was road testing. During our discussion he made mention that the fastest he had ever driven a car, and gotten a citation, was in an XK8. I asked him for his opinion of the XK8 and after some thought he said there were days when he woke up and it was the most beautiful car he had ever seen (I Have to assume there were days when the opposite was true). He went on to say Jaguar got it right with the XK8. This would lead me to believe that sometime in the future it could be viewed, or considered, a classic although I must point out he didn't say that. He actually made me feel pretty good about the XK8.

Old 04-08-2015, 05:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since some seem to feel production numbers "may" dictate future status does anyone have the production numbers by year of the XK8 vs. Corvette, Porsche ....? As someone pointed out there were hundreds of thousand Mustangs in the early years yet they seem to have gained collector status.

Old 04-11-2015, 05:22 AM
XK8
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My opinion, is that these will be classics.

Old 04-11-2015, 05:35 AM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

MY question would be -
Where are XK8s regarding worth (value) now - still declining or rising?
When I was a teenager I remember ads for e-types at £200 because the floors and subframes had rotted and being a mass produced car they were not worth much. Then at some point they started to rise in value, and now that £200 vehicle is now worth at least 100 times that - outstripping inflation by miles.
Porsche targas were also cheap and unwanted, and same went for XJS's - they hit the £200-300 low and now are gaining value.
So where is the XK8 in the depreciation, appreciation scale?
Anyone care to give an opinion?

Old 04-11-2015, 09:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,578 Likes on 1,419 Posts

I believe XK8/XKR prices have risen slightly over the past couple of years. Low mileage 2005-2006 models are listed for more money than the newer 2007 models in many cases. While I don't believe the prices will ever approach XKE pricing, I do think nice examples will slowly appreciate. While it won't achieve collector car status in my lifetime, who cares? These cars are beautiful, long lasting, and meant to be driven, and I do just that, having put a 100,000 miles on mine in the last 5 years. Aesthetics wise, I prefer my 2002 XKR to my 2010; sleeker, lower, more sensual than the newer ones. (Now if you could just put the 2010's suspension and 5.0L engine under the skin, that would make a perfect car).

Old 04-12-2015, 02:34 PM
Received 404 Likes on 219 Posts

I have enjoyed reading this entire thread. It took a while but always interesting to get insights from other Jaguar lovers. Though I love my XJS' I have a real appreciation for the styling of the XK8 so I thought I would share a few reasons why I went with the XJS over the XK8.

Five years ago I decided I wanted a classic looking convertible. Since both the XJS and XK8 are Grand Tourers it was natural that both would end up high on my list of possibilities.

What it really came down to is which car five years ago had a more distinctive and classic look. When you consider that five years ago the last XK8 was only four years old at that time, overall the XK8 had a much more modern look and still does.

What I also discovered in doing extensive research on both cars was that even though the XJS was built for 21 model years the AJ16 inline 4.0L was only available in the car for 1.5 years. So not only was the most refined and reliable XJS only made for a very, very short time it is IMO also the best looking both inside and out of all.

Why do I share this on the XK8 discussion side about future collect ability of the XK8 and XKR? It is because the very thought process that went into my decision to purchase a 1995 XJS convertible with the AJ16 will in the future be the same thought process that others will use when looking at buying a XK8 /XKR.

The rarest and most refined XK8's and XKR's will be the most sought after in the future and will be the most valuable and therefore the most collectible. I do not think it is a stretch to assume the XKR's will by far be the most collectible in the future followed by the last few years of the XK8 with the 4.2L.

It is always fascinating to me how most will talk about the XJS as if all 21 model years are equal and the same. The reality is the first 13 years of production of the XJS you could not even get a factory convertible. Think about the fact that if the XK8 was introduced as a coupe only and only became available as a convertible at the end of its run, how desirable would the few XK8 convertibles be? Then consider the fact that almost all of the XJS' were only available as a V12 with older looking metal bumpers, inner rear disc brakes, flat rockers-hoods etc. If you think working on a V8 is a challenge open the hood of a V12 XJS and you will know the real meaning of " knuckle buster ".

If you were lucky enough to buy a great car used for pennies on the dollar as I was you should consider yourself very lucky. You have a world class GT for the price of a used Camry.

There is not a day that goes by that I do not thank the first owners of my 1995 XJS' because they were the ones that took such great care of my cars and yet took a huge hit financially when they sold or traded them in.

Last edited by LuvmyXJS'; 04-12-2015 at 08:10 PM. Reason: duplicate words and spelling
Old 04-12-2015, 07:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by LuvmyXJS'
I have enjoyed reading this entire thread. It took a while but always interesting to get insights from other Jaguar lovers. Though I love my XJS' I have a real appreciation for the styling of the XK8 so I thought I would share a few reasons why I went with the XJS over the XK8.

Five years ago I decided I wanted a classic looking convertible. Since both the XJS and XK8 are Grand Tourers it was natural that both would end up high on my list of possibilities.

What it really came down to is which car five years ago had a more distinctive and classic look. When you consider that five years ago the last XK8 was only four years old at that time, overall the XK8 had a much more modern look and still does.

What I also discovered in doing extensive research on both cars was that even though the XJS was built for 21 model years the AJ16 inline 4.0L was only available in the car for 1.5 years. So not only was the most refined and reliable XJS only made for a very, very short time it is IMO also the best looking both inside and out of all.

Why do I share this on the XK8 discussion side about future collect ability of the XK8 and XKR? It is because the very thought process that went into my decision to purchase a 1995 XJS convertible with the AJ16 will in the future be the same thought process that others will use when looking at buying a XK8 /XKR.

The rarest and most refined XK8's and XKR's will be the most sought after in the future and will be the most valuable and therefore the most collectible. I do not think it is a stretch to assume the XKR's will by far be the most collectible in the future followed by the last few years of the XK8 with the 4.2L.

It is always fascinating to me how most will talk about the XJS as if all 21 model years are equal and the same. The reality is the first 13 years of production of the XJS you could not even get a factory convertible. Think about the fact that if the XK8 was introduced as a coupe only and only became available as a convertible at the end of its run, how desirable would the few XK8 convertibles be? Then consider the fact that almost all of the XJS' were only available as a V12 with older looking metal bumpers, inner rear disc brakes, flat rockers-hoods etc. If you think working on a V8 is a challenge open the hood of a V12 XJS and you will know the real meaning of " knuckle buster ".

If you were lucky enough to buy a great car used for pennies on the dollar as I was you should should consider yourself very lucky. You have a world class GT for the price of a used Camry.

There is not a day that goes by that I do not thank the first owners of my 1995 XJS' because they were the ones that took such great care of my cars and yet took a huge hit financially when they sold or traded then in.
My xk8 is a rather unique piece (details in my sig) and I'm a car dealer with a wicked affliction for jags. I love the XJS. I made a mistake about 2 years ago. There was a champagne 96 XJS convertible with the 4.0. The car was virtually perfect. I was asked to sell for a friend of a friend. The car had barely over 50k miles and had a dealer svc history from day 1. I was told that He was looking to get 7500 for the car. I ended up getting him 10.800 for the car, and charging a $1000 commission for selling it him for me. If it were ANY other color combo (I'm VERY partial to that burgundy color) I would have kept it for me. But the champagne with the mocha brown colored roof just didn't do it for me. Even the lower front air dam and the headliner were perfect. I sold the car to a guy in some remote place in Canada. (EVERY jag convertible I have sold has gone to canada or Germany). I now regret not hanging onto it. I will have a 94-96 xis in my fleet at some point. Im thinking now is the time to buy. But all the nice ones I have seen people want WAY too much more, and they are happy to let them sit.

Take care,

George

The following users liked this post:
LuvmyXJS' (04-16-2015)
Old 04-13-2015, 10:56 PM
Received 153 Likes on 120 Posts

Classic cars are generally considered to be 25 years old or more (can get plates in TX then). I've got 10 years to go on mine and I'm calling up Petrolicious for a photoshoot here in the North Texas countryside.

Old 04-16-2015, 11:45 AM
Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Great thread with interesting info.

Old 05-24-2015, 12:41 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I hope the XK's end up to be classics. Not because I have one , but rather because I feel they are the most beautifully designed cars since the XKE. I get many many thumbs up and inquiries when ever I drive mine. You talk about production figures, but compared to the muscle cars of the 70's they are low production numbers. There is the other fact that if you watch there are many individuals who purchased XK's used and did little to maintain or care for them, so you will have a lot fall by the way. I am hoping to eventually purchase a 4.2 XKR coupe to go with my roadster. My only problem is having the space to keep it inside. Yes this is the dry part of California, but it is also the hot part. So it is not just keeping it out of the sun, but protecting it from the heat. I baby mine in the hope it will be appreciated and cared for by my son too. It is probably the quietest and smoothest riding sports car I have ever owned or driven (even with the Mina exhaust and cold air intake).

Old 05-30-2015, 07:01 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default "It does sound bloody good .. " @ 18:30

Any Jaguar fans here? This ya gotta see amigos .. Cheers!

Last edited by attaboy; 05-31-2015 at 04:10 AM. Reason: sp
The following users liked this post:
Scottsgreenjag (05-31-2015)
Old 05-30-2015, 10:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

I bigger question at least for cars in the states. Will we ever see a market for cars again like we have in the last 15 years or so for cars say from 1950-1971. Was that such a special period for cars of all types that it will never be matched again in terms of dollars and so many people liking so many cars from that time period.
Will cars of the last 25 years ever see a market at the scale that we see now for cars from 1950-1971 give or take a few years on either end of that year range. Is there a early model years Mustang yet to be realized, another XKE like car, is there a split window vette (not a vette) car out there right now that is a few years old.
???????

Old 05-31-2015, 09:20 AM
Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by brgjag
I bigger question at least for cars in the states. Will we ever see a market for cars again like we have in the last 15 years or so for cars say from 1950-1971. Was that such a special period for cars of all types that it will never be matched again in terms of dollars and so many people liking so many cars from that time period.
Will cars of the last 25 years ever see a market at the scale that we see now for cars from 1950-1971 give or take a few years on either end of that year range. Is there a early model years Mustang yet to be realized, another XKE like car, is there a split window vette (not a vette) car out there right now that is a few years old.
???????

I often wonder the same thing. I went to a car show a few years ago that had a lot of cars from that era, muscle cars and imports.

The median age was probably mid sixties. Made me figure most were there to find another car like they had back then or the car they never had then but always wanted and can afford now. Pretty cool. Back in the sixties cars were the backdrop to everything. Most all of the hangouts were outdoor cruising restaurants and the kids watched a never ending stream of future classics pass through. Somehow even back then people seemed to know it was a classic era. At 58 now I wasn't even driving or dating at that point but I sure as heck paid attention to the cars. And motorcycles! I ache for those times.

What concerns me is: what will today's teens congregate to celebrate forty years from now? Vintage video games???? To today's kids, for the most part cars are just cars, and what cars made today will be worthy of celebration in forty years?
Hey look, there goes a 2014 Camry!
Even the less desired cars of the sixties are collected (Corvair, Ford Falcon, Dodge Dart)

Hard to say, I'm sure the really high end cars today will be treasured and I feel that our XK8's and especially R's will always be special to a select group and interesting to most. I'm not however expecting to make money on mine.
2X

Last edited by 2ndxk8; 05-31-2015 at 09:37 AM.
Old 05-31-2015, 11:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

The only ones that can AFFORD today's possible future classics are those that also by the restored old muscle cars. Most of today'
s folks as said above are Camry and other look like car buyers.

Old 06-02-2015, 07:30 AM
Received 134 Likes on 83 Posts

The bigger problem for all of us who love and lay hands on cars is that American kids have no interest in cars. Many don't even get a drivers license until they are forced to and would never think of getting their hands dirty. The world is changing and we are relics of a culture that may not exist in 50 years.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:22 AM
Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Excalibur2012
The bigger problem for all of us who love and lay hands on cars is that American kids have no interest in cars. Many don't even get a drivers license until they are forced to and would never think of getting their hands dirty. The world is changing and we are relics of a culture that may not exist in 50 years.
UK kids too. No interest in cars at all. Lobby groups have been very successful in their anti-car campaigns and there is now so much regulation and enforcement that they cant get onto the road in the first place, or get instantly banned if they do.

They cant buy and 'do up' an older car - the tax and insurance are too much. Want to buy an old £1000 car to get on the road? If you are under 21 that will cost you £9000 per year to insure, and most people of that age are students or in very very low paid jobs.

You can reduce that figure somewhat if you agree to have a tracker fitted, so that the insurance company and the police know how you are drivng at all times, and they have curfew where you are not allowed to drive after dark - not much help if you are young and bought your car to get to your shift work at night because there is no plublic transport at that time......

Every stretch of road that doesnt have a police speed check hiding in the bushes, has Average Speed cameras set up, so if you speed over a given distance, let alone in a single instance you will get busted. If a young driver gets busted they get banned.

Everything is linked into central databases, cross referenced, and fines are issued automatically.

Its no fun owning a car any more. We have about the lowest rate of accidents or fatalities anywhere in the world - most of those killed are drunk pedestrians wandering into the road, or motorcyclists - but the way the lobby groups go on you'd think that you were guaranteed to get killed as soon as you step out of the door.

My Jag XKR is a Classic - in my mind. Happy days....

Quick Reply: Will XKR and XK8 be a future classic