XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Wind Deflector

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 09:21 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Beav
I made a lexan deflector for mine last fall. It works great, stays in place with the roof up. All but invisible, maybe I should put some a/r coating on it. Extends fall top-down weather to around 58-60 degrees.

I just need to transfer all the pics and do the write ups for all of my little projects. Some day....
Looking forward to more on this

Old 03-24-2012, 11:48 AM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Do you still have this ? I was looking into buying one for my 2003 XKR. I found one that was missing the mounting brackets that bolt into the sub frame by the back 1/4 windows. Once these are installed the wind breaker has slides on each side that just slides into them. Was yours like that?

Old 04-13-2012, 09:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 97xkeconv
My car came with the factory deflector. I've used it a few times and I do not like the way it makes the car look. Anyone need a factory deflector? Let me know.
I would like to buy your wind deflector, if still available. I live nearby. Thanks, Paul

Old 04-13-2012, 09:55 AM

Sorry to be a noob, but I have the classic additions type deflector. I can fit it in such a way that either the "bigger" section fills the back seat, with the "smaller" section acting as the deflector.....or the other way, with the taller part acting as the deflector.
Which is correct please? Anybody?

Last edited by UK_XKR; 04-13-2012 at 10:06 AM.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 539 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by UK_XKR
Sorry to be a noob, but I have the classic additions type deflector. I can fit it in such a way that either the "bigger" section fills the back seat, with the "smaller" section acting as the deflector.....or the other way, with the taller part acting as the deflector.
Which is correct please? Anybody?

Do you have a photo? By "classic additions" I assume you mean the aftermarket version. It is interesting that the XK8 deflector install instructions is the only one that cannot be downloaded from their install page--do you have instructions?

I believe that once you install the brackets that support the windscreen there will be only one obvious way that the pieces can be installed but some other members here (e.g., Sam) have played around with flipping and reversing the brackets to achieve different effects.

Anyway, the "typical" setup is to have the smaller section horizontal and the larger section vertical.

Doug

The following users liked this post:
UK_XKR (04-13-2012)
Old 04-13-2012, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
Do you have a photo? By "classic additions" I assume you mean the aftermarket version. It is interesting that the XK8 deflector install instructions is the only one that cannot be downloaded from their install page--do you have instructions?

I believe that once you install the brackets that support the windscreen there will be only one obvious way that the pieces can be installed but some other members here (e.g., Sam) have played around with flipping and reversing the brackets to achieve different effects.

Anyway, the "typical" setup is to have the smaller section horizontal and the larger section vertical.

Doug
Thanks Doug.....I just sorted it. I trawled the net for photographs of the classic additions deflector. I had bolted mine in upside down....doh. ;-)

Old 04-13-2012, 10:58 AM
Veteran Member

Glad you figured it out. By the way, if you did have instructions I would be interested in seeing them, as well as any photos you might have taken of the parts and pieces.

I installed one that was originally sold by Welsh and, while I am certain I installed the brackets correctly, the vertical piece does not naturally stand straight up as shown in most photos I have seen. Rather, it slants back a bit towards the rear. What keeps the vertical piece from going back farther is just that it bears against the smaller horizontal piece. So I guess the way to get the vertical piece to stand straighter would require mounting so that the horizontal piece is a bit higher--hard to explain but if you have a deflector with a similar setup you understand.

So I would be interested in seeing the details of yours since there are apparently several variations of aftermarket deflectors and also 2 variations of the original OEM deflector.

Doug

Old 04-15-2012, 05:58 AM
Wink

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
Glad you figured it out. By the way, if you did have instructions I would be interested in seeing them, as well as any photos you might have taken of the parts and pieces.
Doug
I haven't got instructions Doug, I just googled "classic additions" until I found an image showing an XK with "my" windbreak fitted....

This type of windbreak relies on nyloc nuts to hold the vertical piece upright. If the nuts aren't tight enough, wind pressure pushes it forward, making it look a bit silly.

Now I have got fitting sussed, I just leave the windbreak in place. The roof goes up and over it okay, and the back seats are useless anyway ;-)

It's not the greatest designed windbreak I have ever seen imho, but it does the job...
Martin

Old 04-15-2012, 02:10 PM
Veteran Member

Sounds like the same basic system as mine (I posted some close-up photos somewhere on this or another thread). Problem with the nuts is that if you tighten enough to keep the deflector piece from moving, you cannot rotate it down when not in use. When I have the top up (which I have mostly done recently since the weather turned colder and rainier almost the day after installing the deflector) I have the taller piece folded downwards and out of sight. It is a pita to take out a wrench and tighten/loosen those locknuts. It would have made more sense to have these as knobs that can be turned with the fingers (like the ones that hold the deflector to the brackets).

Doug

Old 09-22-2012, 10:27 AM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I just got my Welsh unit installed. I also found that their instructions are very bad as everyone has indicated. Drilling the holes on the drivers side window bracket was fairly easy once you get the deflector bracket positioned correctly. I pretty much cloned the position of the holes that were on the passenger side window bracket. The window bracket was easy to drill as it is aluminum. I set the wind deflector both ways, as it was shown in the Welsh picture and the way Rev Sam set his up. I like the deflector like Rev Sam's, it mounts a little lower but looks better. The only minor problem is that you can see the top of the deflector bar in the middle of the rear view mirror. The interior of my XKR is white so I plan to paint the mounting brackets white, so when I have the deflector off for a show they will not stand out. It took me a while to figure out where the four black plastic washers went. Apparently they act as a clutch for moving the wind deflector. You can really tighten up the nylon nut and still be able to move the deflector down when you do not need it. They seem to keep it tight but not to tight. One of the members indicated that if he tightened the nut to tight he could not move the deflector maybe he didn't install the plastic washers correctly? I installed Rev Sam's back window mod and with the deflector and back windows up, it is really nice as there is hardly any wind turbulence in the cabin any more. I should be able to keep the top down on nice days here in Connecticut until November, maybe.

Bill N
03 XKR

Old 03-19-2013, 09:03 PM

is your deflector still available ? thanks