XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

window washer pump

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 09:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Just reread the string.

1) headlight washers work. Good but they are on Different relay than the windshield. Gotta find windshield relay.

2 how do I check relay? Relay has 4 terminals managing 2 separate circuits.

1)Control circuit: one side is ground, the other awaits a 12volt trigger signal. When the low current 12 volt trigger signal is present, it runs through electromagnet to the ground terminal.

2)power circuit: 12 volts on one side, powerwasher on the other side terminal. That electromagnet in #1 pulls a lever inside the relay to connect the 12volts to the powerwasher.

To test: pull relay. Identify terminals that relay plugs into.

1]Find ground terminal(voltmeter on ohms, one probe on car chassis, other to find ground). Look for zero ohms.

2]Find 12volts terminal ignition on voltmeter on dc volts.

3]Probe remaining 3 terminals to find 12volt trigger signal.

One of the remaining terminals goes to pump, other is the 12 volt trigger. I'd insert the probe in one remaining terminal. Other probe secured to ground. Voltmeter on 12 volts. Turn ignition on. Press button see if you get a 12 volt blip during the cycle. If nothing, you may be in the pump terminal. Move probe start again.

If still no luck, identify the pump terminal - zero ohms between ter.inal and pump connector.

Apply 12 volts to pump terminal. Pump woks?

Lots of info. Ask if you have questions.

John

Last edited by Johnken; 09-02-2017 at 10:26 PM.
Old 09-02-2017, 09:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnken
Just reread the string.

1) headlight washers work. Good but the are on Different relay than the windshield. Gotta find windshield relay.

2 how do I check relay? Relay has 4 terminals managing 2 separate circuits.

1)Control circuit: one side is ground, the other awaits a 12volt trigger signal. When the low current 12 volt trigger signal is present, it runs through electromagnet to the ground terminal.

2)power circuit: 12 volts on one side, powerwasher on the other side terminal. That electromagnet in #1 pulls a lever inside the relay to connect the 12volts to the powerwasher.

To test: pull relay. Identify terminals that relay plugs into.

1]Find ground terminal(voltmeter on ohms, one probe on car chassis, other to find ground). Look for zero ohms.

2]Find 12volts terminal ignition on voltmeter on dc volts.

3]Probe remaining 3 terminals to find 12volt trigger signal.

One of the remaining terminals goes to pump, other is the 12 volt trigger. I'd insert the probe in one remaining terminal. Other probe secured to ground. Voltmeter on 12 volts. Turn ignition on. Press button see if you get a 12 volt blip during the cycle. If nothing, you may be in the pump terminal. Move probe start again.

If still no luck, identify the pump terminal - zero ohms between ter.inal and pump connector.

Apply 12 volts to pump terminal. Pump woks?

Lots of info. Ask if you have questions.

John
THanks Johnken did you get my answer reference the windscreen washer relay ?

Old 09-02-2017, 10:29 AM

I'm trying to answer your post, problem is your mail came to my e-mail in box and not the forum ,I answered you by e-mail but got a failure notice,so I'm trying again this time from the forum, I've checked the handbook and there is NO windscreen washer relay on the page relays and fuse box identification and location page 23/24 of the handbook

Old 09-02-2017, 12:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,408 Likes on 1,560 Posts

^^ What John said.
The windscreen washer pump is fed directly from the Body Processor Module (BPM).

I've taken a pic. (attached) of the grounding stud: you can see it directly above the red-topped bolt, although I'd be less suspicious of that given the powerwash pump is operating as it should. However, no harm done by checking it's clean and tight. Sadly it's not in the easiest of places to get to

Are you handy with a multimeter?

Mike

Attached Thumbnails window washer pump-20170902_171740.jpg  
Old 09-02-2017, 01:01 PM

Thanks for the pic ,is that next to the RHS headlight

Old 09-02-2017, 01:11 PM

the BPM is located where Mike ?and to check what I'm looking for what do I have to do ,I'm really sorry for being such a numpty but we all have to start somewhere,but I must admit at 69 it's not easy

Old 09-02-2017, 02:49 PM
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Nobody's mentioned the fluid level switch yet. It's there in the circuit diagram along with the windshield wash pump. I don't know for sure but it looks as if it might tell the BPM not to drive the pump if the fluid is out or low. I would guess the switch is in the fluid reservoir.

Old 09-02-2017, 04:04 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by macjag1745
Thanks for the pic ,is that next to the RHS headlight
Yes - looking forward, it's in front of the air conditioning receiver dryer (round cylinder with two ali pipes attached)

Originally Posted by macjag1745
the BPM is located where Mike ?and to check what I'm looking for what do I have to do ,I'm really sorry for being such a numpty but we all have to start somewhere,but I must admit at 69 it's not easy
No apologies needed: this is what the forum is all about. Sorry I don't know exactly where the BPM is - under the dash somewhere by the glove box. JTIS shows it (I'm assuming you're LHD) here:

Hopefully someone will chime in here.

pbuck - good point - I did wonder about the level switch, but apparently low fluid level only disables the power wash, not the screen wash.

HTH,
Mike

The following users liked this post:
macjag1745 (09-07-2017)
Old 09-02-2017, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by pbuck
Nobody's mentioned the fluid level switch yet. It's there in the circuit diagram along with the windshield wash pump. I don't know for sure but it looks as if it might tell the BPM not to drive the pump if the fluid is out or low. I would guess the switch is in the fluid reservoir.
thanks for your post I'll try to get that checked Monday

Old 09-02-2017, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by michaelh
Yes - looking forward, it's in front of the air conditioning receiver dryer (round cylinder with two ali pipes attached)

No apologies needed: this is what the forum is all about. Sorry I don't know exactly where the BPM is - under the dash somewhere by the glove box. JTIS shows it (I'm assuming you're LHD) here:

Hopefully someone will chime in here.

pbuck - good point - I did wonder about the level switch, but apparently low fluid level only disables the power wash, not the screen wash.

HTH,
Mike
thanks again you guys are great I'll have to get someone who knows car electronics to check all this because it's way above my head

Old 09-03-2017, 10:52 AM

Just thinking if any of these relays are not working correctly do any of you know where I could get some and do you have any idea how much they cost
thanks again
Bob

Old 09-03-2017, 10:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Check an aftermarket parts dealer. I just looked at XKs unlimited. Around $20 For a relay.

John

macjag1745 (09-04-2017)
Old 09-04-2017, 06:29 AM

My next question arises from the info given in this forum,because the windscreen wash does NOT have a relay does that mean I would be wasting my time triggering the powerwash relays,as you have told me the windscreen wash function is directly fed from the BPM,now once I've found the BPM where do I check to see if the problem is indeed located there and how do I check it.

Old 09-04-2017, 04:09 PM
Veteran Member

Firstly, do make doubly sure that both halves of the pump connector are clean & crimps are tight as it's location makes it the most exposed.

This post by GGG gives a better location of the BPM than the one I posted from JTIS:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...44/#post793344

I don't know how easy it is to get to the large connector FC14, but you're looking for the yellow/green wire on pin 26 of that connector (see attached).

Normally, there should be little to no voltage on that pin. Press the stalk button (ignition in position II) and you should see a rise to around 12 volts until the button is released.

If so, then you'll need to trace that yellow/green wire through harness connector LF1 to where it meets the pump under the wheel arch. JTIS shows that as being a 20-way, slate coloured connector and located "LEFT HAND 'A' POST CONNECTOR MOUNTING BRACKET/'A' POST TRIM" (not entirely helpful)

If not, then we need to determine why the BPM isn't supplying power: either a fault with the module itself or one of the power feeds to it, although in the latter case I'd expect to see other issues.

My understanding of the power wash is that i) it only operates when the headlights are on and ii) it only fires on the first press of the wash/wipe stalk button and every sixth? press thereafter. Sorry - I don't have that feature so I can't confirm this.

Bonne chance!

Attached Thumbnails window washer pump-bpm-connector.jpg  
macjag1745 (09-07-2017)
Old 09-05-2017, 06:09 AM

Thanks a lot Micheal,It's getting really complicated,what "other issues" would you expect to see if there was a problem with module power feeds the only problem I can think of is is the lights not flashing when I close the car, they flashed before but that just stopped happening, I did nothing about it at the time but I'm not sure if there are other issues

Last edited by macjag1745; 09-05-2017 at 07:04 AM.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:24 AM

I've just been on the phone to a jaguar parts dealer in England and he informed me that my problem wouldn't be the BPM but the wash wipe stalk , the problem is not uncommon apparantly,so I will get that checked out and I'll get back to you all,
Thanks for being so patient.

Old 09-05-2017, 05:18 PM
Veteran Member

Hi,
Not saying that the BPM is faulty - only that it's one possibility that the above test could eliminate.

Do get your indy to check out what the dealer states before you invest in a new stalk.

Last edited by michaelh; 09-05-2017 at 05:20 PM.
macjag1745 (09-07-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 01:40 AM

I will be looking for someone to check the car electronics,stalk, BPM ,relays ,grounding stud etc,thought I had someone but he's off on holiday,once I get that done I'll get back to you all and keep you up to date with my trials & tribulations

Old 09-07-2017, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by michaelh
Hi,
Not saying that the BPM is faulty - only that it's one possibility that the above test could eliminate.

Do get your indy to check out what the dealer states before you invest in a new stalk.
Will do Micheal,thanks for your help,not being fit for purpose to even try some of the things I've been advised to do I'll be getting my Jag looked by someone who "I hope "knows what he's doing ,I'll be informing him with all advice you and others on this forum have given me so that should help him to look in the right places.

Old 09-11-2017, 09:27 AM

Well I got the car checked ,well partially the guy checked out the fuses and the relays,and not much else,the only thing I found out was that the headlight wash only works on the left hand side,nothing at all on the right hand side,I'm thinking of taking the car to a Jaguar dealer to get it fault checked by connecting a computer to find out what's not working correctly,costs a fortune in France,any hints before I take the plunge