XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2021, 12:45 PM
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Windshield Replacement

2003 Jaguar XKR Coupe, has developed a nasty crack on the windshield. I am calling around to get quotes on replacement. A few questions the companies are asking me. Rain-sensor, light sensor, heated, tinted? Any way I can confirm any of these features. I have rain-sensing windshield wipers, I have automatic light switch (these two functions don't really work), but I'm not sure about heated windshield? Tint? My windshield has a uniform tint on it but one of the companies asked if it had like a blue line tint on it?

Any questions I should ask these glass companies?
Quotes I've received so far $270 and $230 out the door, $465.50

Edit: one company said I don't have rain-sensing windshield? shoot Idk now haha how do I check?

Last edited by stran0020; 05-04-2021 at 01:10 PM.
Old 05-04-2021, 01:34 PM
GGG
Received 16,852 Likes on 12,186 Posts

If it's an OE windscreen it WILL be tinted (slightly green) but will NOT have either a blue or a green band across the top. If heated, you will have the button in the console and, if you look very carefully, will be able to see the fine vertical lines of the heating wires.

I've only arrowed four here but they are across most of the width of the glass.

Graham

Old 05-04-2021, 02:15 PM
Received 400 Likes on 281 Posts

if the windscreen is that inexpensive, you are getting an aftermarket and will not be happy. The genuine without heat is available through Jaguar dealers and some glass suppliers. About four years ago i got it for less than 350 installed, now it is more expensive, retailing for $675 USD. Hail damage about two weeks ago.
Cannot say it enough. Do not go cheap aftermarket unless you like the fishbowl effect. The aftermarket company does not move enough to make a good one whereas with the common cars their products are quite good. My glass guy tells me that our windscreen seems to share a cross reference with a Chrysler, particularly Dodge, product, which would make sense as using a more common item would reduce development and production costs. No further info at this time as i am going OEM.
Also, make sure that your installer checks for any paint damage and corrosion on the bonding surface and seals it. Removing the windscreen can make scratches in the paint and zinc coating and cause rust. There is a proper way to do this and it is not spelled SafeLight.

Old 05-04-2021, 02:22 PM

all of these cars after 2000 at least, possibly older, have light and rain sensing and uniform tint. The only option is heated or not, which is unlikely for a USA market car. I have access to the parts database through an estimating software. PM me your VIN and i can look it up tomorrow and give exact part numbers and retail price as well as the aftermarket (insert expletive) prices. One can install a heated windscreen in a non-heated car and activate it; the wires are there. Some people who had RK corrective eye surgery are bothered by this. I am too and never had the surgery. Thus, there was a delete option when the cars were new and allowed by Canadian authorities.

Old 05-04-2021, 05:57 PM

After speaking to several glass companies here in Arizona, it looks like they all use the same manufacturer Pilkington Glass, even when inquiring about factory glass they didn't seem to offer that option? Might have to settle for aftermarket, anyone have any experience with Pilkington Glass? Looking at my windshield I don't see any vertical heating lines.

Old 05-04-2021, 06:31 PM

Pilkington Glass is the OEM manufacturer, so it might be a great option. They were acquired by an Asian concern according to some reports.

The following users liked this post:
gerardbooth (05-05-2021)
Old 05-04-2021, 06:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,810 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Stran, those prices are shockingly low. But then I reread your note. Does out the door mean you'll install it yourself? Iow - they don't include installation do they?

3 or 4 yrs ago I got mine installed for about $265. Got a crack last year after a chip spread in an ice storm. Interesting stuff, I called the company who did the window 2 or 3 yrs before that, they committed to the original price. After I saved up the money, the girl informed me the previous owner passed away, new owner wants $365.

In frustration I called several local places. One told me the price had been raised from the manufacturer. No one would go below $365. Its price fixed around here in NJ I suppose.

Please let us know if the quote includes installation.

John

John

Old 05-04-2021, 07:36 PM
Received 141 Likes on 79 Posts

check the front defrost vents when the windshield is off. It tends to start vibrating and can easily be reinforced with the windshield off.

The following 3 users liked this post by scottatl:
DavidYau (05-04-2021), ozbot (05-04-2021), toaster (09-03-2022)
Old 05-04-2021, 10:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,810 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Great point Scott!!!

John

Old 05-05-2021, 12:31 AM

yes those prices included mobile installation at your house!

Old 05-05-2021, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by scottatl
check the front defrost vents when the windshield is off. It tends to start vibrating and can easily be reinforced with the windshield off.
what did you reinforce it with? mine seem to be fine right now, the previous owner redid the dash in leather/pleather that is starting to peel that I would like to address when the windshield is off but not sure how the installer will like to that lol

Johnken (05-05-2021)
Old 05-05-2021, 09:27 AM
Received 174 Likes on 96 Posts

Make sure the installed mounts the trim to the windshield BEFORE installing it onto the adhesive and body. It's the only way to get a good fit of the trim to the body, and is the recommended method.

CorStevens (05-06-2021)
Old 05-05-2021, 11:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,502 Likes on 1,051 Posts

My understanding is that new windshields are supposed to come with the rear-view mirror mount factory bonded, it is not something transferred from the old one. Folks have reported a fairly difficult time bonding that mount back on when it falls off. Be sure that mount is coming with the new windshield.

CorStevens (05-06-2021)
Old 05-05-2021, 12:43 PM

Anyone in Arizona that has gotten their windshield replaced? After looking up reviews from each company $230-$600, none of them had outstanding reviews. Makes me hesitant, I don't want my car getting messed up!

Old 05-05-2021, 02:25 PM

Okay looks like Pilkington Glass is the distributor/vendor for one company and they are using FYG brand glass. Most likely the case for everyone else as well? Dealership saying OEM glass is discontinued

Old 05-06-2021, 06:19 AM

FYG glass is the "fishbowl" glass that i warned about. This must be due to the merger of Pilkington Glass with the Asian Concern. Cannot recommend it.
Next, the part number for the windscreen appears to change after 97-01. The dealer has mine in stock as my glass installer is getting it today.
Just speculation, but it might be that the glass specs changed for the updated cars. Lots of things were upgraded for the 2002 update. Might be some safety level such as DOT requirements, tint, rain sensor change, who knows. Give us a day or so, and we will have the complete story.

Johnken (05-06-2021)
Old 05-07-2021, 07:21 PM

Here is the information as promised. The windshield specifications did change for the 2002+ model years. There are only two OEM options for your car, heated or not. The part numbers are different than the 2001 and older years.
Non heated: part #: GJF8801BC, dealer retail customer price for glass only: 730 USD
Heated: part #: GJG8801AB, dealer retail customer price for glass only: 2275 USD

The reason that the aftermarket asks so many questions as to your options is that some early cars did not have things like auto wipers and lights standard. They are trying to mix and match to find an older, pre 2001 specification that supposedly matches your car. It would take some investigation to accurately determine what actually changed in the same size windshield in the same car, but my speculation is that it has to do with the upgraded airbags. Windshields must perform a certain way in concert with the airbags. It might be that the newer windshield passes some sort of test or certification which was not required for the earlier systems. Thus, if you go aftermarket, even a windshield that supports all of your options might not be exactly correct for your car's complete SRS system and safety certs.

michaelh (05-07-2021)
Old 05-09-2021, 08:03 AM
Received 159 Likes on 113 Posts
Default Stan0020

I am subscribed to this tread as my 2005 XKR coupe windshield needs replacement. I’m also in the Phoenix area and most interested in who and what you will decide to do
Regards,
White Bear.

Old 05-09-2021, 02:48 PM

I'm leaning on going with Blue Chip Auto Glass because they have a 5-star rating on Yelp, they quoted me $450 cash for Pilkington glass (still confused on this, if its actually Pilkington manufactured glass or just Pilkington distributed/vendored glass. I have Geico insurance and might go through insurance and see if they will cover replacing the window trim pieces. Blue Chip Auto Glass and from reading online, Geico will not pay for OEM dealership glass.

Old 05-09-2021, 03:48 PM

Let us know how it goes. FYI there are a few ways to force an insurance company to pay for OEM parts and actually get them to fund doing the replacement again if aftermarket does not satisfy. First is if the glass has any distortion. Next is if the part does not fit exactly as the original. If the part is not a certified aftermarket replacement which includes dimensions. Finally if the part does not meet the same specifications, especially regarding safety, as the original. Look at the DOT cert numbers on your original. The replacement must match them exactly.

I consult for collision repair shops and have seen this before.

As for the replacement Pilkington product, it might be OEM spec but not have the cost of branding it as a Genuine Jaguar Part. Contacting Pilkington might help here.

Don't know if anyone else has mentioned it here, but make sure that the installer does not leave any chipped surfaces under the bonding material or moldings. If they are scratched to the metal during removal, they must be repaired prior to installation. There are various ways to do this including products available to the glass installer industry. My choice was to repaint as i had some header damage and did not like the finish on the inside edge reveal at the lower part of the pillars.

Note about the trim moldings which are in that Dorchester gray. They are shipped without final clear coat rub out and appear dull. After installation having a knowledgeable person finish them or DIY if you know what you are doing, makes them look quite nice. They are not too expensive. Replace them now while they are available. Keep the old ones to be restored. If you really want to make the car look sharp, refinish the plastic cowl like this with a gloss clear coat. It looks very nice and is easy to do. Make sure to seal the plastic with an appropriate primer first.

Let us know how it goes.

The following 2 users liked this post by CorStevens:
gerardbooth (05-18-2021), Johnken (05-09-2021)

Quick Reply: Windshield Replacement