XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Windshield washer/power washer not working

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2019, 07:38 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Question Windshield washer/power washer not working

Hi people; I need your help. My 2000 XKR has an issue with the windshield washer/power washer pumps. Prior to storing for the winter both windshield and head light washers were working. This spring, when i uncovered, installed the battery, and started him up, I noticed the washer wasn't working. Now, I've read a-lot of threads on here about other member's problems. The tank in full and when i press the wash button on the stalk the wipers come on so I'm assuming that the wash button is fully functional. I've studied the wiring diagram and notice a fuse for the power washer relay, but i don't see any fuses for the wash motor. It seems strange that the wash motor wouldn't be fused. Since nothing is labeled in the fuse box, I will start by pulling all fuses and checking them first. If anyone here has an in-depth knowledge of the washer system i would greatly appreciate your help with this.

Old 04-05-2019, 08:10 AM
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

If pump doesn't make noise (behind right side of fr. bumper cover), most likely it is dead. $10 from ebay. There are 2 types of pumps in most cars, most GM pumps fit.
Jack right front wheel, remove 3 bolts, holding underfender plastic cover.
check voltage to pump connector.

Old 04-05-2019, 10:39 AM
Received 313 Likes on 235 Posts

I had the washers on a BMW fail just because of scale in the non-return valves (which I'm assuming the Jag has) both blocking at the same time. Of course, the pin-size outlets for the water may just be scaled up and can be cleared with a pin.

As advised, listen for the pump. If that does work, then start looking for blockages. I won't insult your intelligence by asking whether you checked that there is water in it. But you did, right?

Old 04-05-2019, 04:21 PM

The first thing I checked was the fill. But after reading some more I noticed the headlight washers are only working if the lights are on. I didn't test that yet. I'm waiting for it to warm up so I can pull the driver side front wheel and fender liner to check power to the windshield pump.

Old 04-05-2019, 06:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,403 Likes on 1,557 Posts

The windscreen washer pump is powered via one of the BPM fuses, but I imagine you'd have other issues if one was blown.

Headlamp washer pump needs lights on and and the reservoir not to be at a low level to fire up. IIRC it also only runs once every 6? pulls on the stalk (I don't have this 'feature')

Old 04-05-2019, 06:41 PM

Nothing else is having issues except my side mirror operation but I've had the issue with them since I purchased the car last fall. So since i'm pretty sure the major fuses are ok, I'll be checking power to the pump and going from there. Could be the pump but I understand that is rare.

Old 04-06-2019, 08:09 PM

Tested the headlight washer and it worked. So, tomorrow I pull the wheel and fender liner and check if I have power there.

Old 04-09-2019, 07:27 AM
Smile Windshield washer/power washer not working (resolved)

I resolved the windshield washer issue! Today we pulled the wheel and fender liner, and tested the wash motor. The motor ran, but still not spray at the windshield. The issue was actually a plug of what looked like black slim at the check valves just under the cowl. I don't know what that slime was, but the fluid didn't look like normal windshield washer fluid. I drained the tank, blew out the lines, and after much difficulty cleared the check valves. To put this issue to bed, I ordered new spray heads, and check valves. A note on this the old setup of check valve within the rubber elbow is not changed to separate check. Thanks everyone for all your help!