XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Winter battery storage

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 04:42 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by GordoCatCar
So unless you take the car out and thoroughly run the car up to normal operating temps... say 30 minutes to reach 190'F' IMO you are doing more harm than good.
It's more than that- even if you drive the car till the engine is hot you're still putting it through an unnecessary thermal cycle. A car goes from the garage out into the cold just long enough for many parts to below the dew point. It's brought back in to the warmth and becomes covered in condensation inside and out.

Again- the car doesn't need or benefit from being run it during storage. Let it sleep in peace.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
It's more than that- even if you drive the car till the engine is hot you're still putting it through an unnecessary thermal cycle. A car goes from the garage out into the cold just long enough for many parts to below the dew point. It's brought back in to the warmth and becomes covered in condensation inside and out.

Again- the car doesn't need or benefit from being run it during storage. Let it sleep in peace.
Amen to that (in a secular sort of way).

Old 11-29-2011, 07:55 PM
Received 141 Likes on 125 Posts

You're overthinking this whole thing. Hook up to a battery tender (the trunk-boot will close over the wire no problem) and forget about it. If you can't reach an outlet, pull the battery and bring it to where the extension will reach. With a genuine tender (not a $2.00 job) you'll be good. If the car blows up, that's what insurance is for. Actually though, where is the spark going to come from? Just don't light a match to see where the disconnect plug is!

Old 12-04-2011, 11:48 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Battery disconnect

If I am reading this thread correctly, I should be fine just unhooking the battery and leaving the car to sit for the winter?

Anything else I should consider?

Thanks,

Kip

Old 12-04-2011, 02:59 PM
Received 126 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by kiphome
If I am reading this thread correctly, I should be fine just unhooking the battery and leaving the car to sit for the winter?

Anything else I should consider?

Thanks,

Kip
Yeah, there are quite a few things to consider. Here is a list of some additional measures that you may or may not choose to take.

Putting Your Car into Storage

Old 12-04-2011, 03:30 PM

I strongly disagree with some of the requirements of that link-just read the technical inaccuracies of the brake fluid paragraph.

At a minimum, it's pure overkill.

Old 12-04-2011, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Mikey
I strongly disagree with some of the requirements of that link-just read the technical inaccuracies of the brake fluid paragraph.

At a minimum, it's pure overkill.
Well Mikey, that is EXACTLY why I said that there were "some additional measures that you may or may not choose to take."

You will come to learn that this is a great forum, but, one man's "overkill" is often another man's "absolute necessity".

Personally, I subscribe to the theory that since we all own our own cars, we are perfectly entitled to do whatever we want with them.

Therefore, do what you will. You asked for options, and I presented you with some, from what is supposed to be an expert's opinion. Take from them what you will and discard the rest.

Old 12-04-2011, 07:53 PM

Kevin-

An opinion regarding performing innocuous acts is one thing- but inaccurate information is another. I'm simply objecting to the bits of inaccurate information. The author of this list is apparently not an expert nor is this an particularity 'original' piece- it's partially plagiarized from many other similar documents.

Old 12-05-2011, 04:03 PM

Mikey,
Gee, if it bothers you that much, why don't you contact that website and correct them?

As for me, I did not recommend that you take all of those actions, and, in fact, some of them seem a bit overboard to me as well, but, then, if you read the article properly, you would realize that some of those things that he mentioned were intended to be for cars being put into storage for more than just three or four months.

Anyway, since you have gripes about their recommendations and you have superior knowledge, then please take those up with the people who run that website, because I was not the one who recommended that you take all of those steps.

Good day sir.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:34 PM
Rev
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whoa!!!! Hold on here we are over thinking the main question, Let me boil my question down, Can I remove my battery and leave it out for the winter and reinstall it in the spring without any problems except resetting the windows I don't want to start it, I don't want to drive it, I don't want to change any fluids, or remove the summer air in the tires and put in winter air, I just want to remove the battery and put the cat to sleep, I maybe leaving for an extended amount of time depending on if my lawyer is any good, I just want to restart it after I get back in town,

Old 12-07-2011, 07:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 493 Likes on 215 Posts

Yes you can do that. You can even put the battery on the concrete floor if you'd like.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:51 PM

Agreed.

Old 12-08-2011, 12:27 AM
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Well if you are leaving town for the same reason Micheal Caine did in the beginning of the original Italian Job just be careful not to leave wads of money in the air intakes like he did cause mice and critters just love to eat cash, same for defense lawyers.

Good luck with your lawyer....hope you don't need any of this advice.

cheers,

jj

Old 12-08-2011, 04:51 PM
Rev
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No need to put wads of money in the intake, The jaguar dealership keeps it for me, I go back and give them more hands full of cash,hope they are investing it for me in something good, Not going nowhere, lawyer thing is a joke, just wanted to make sure you all read the whole post, (ha)'. I will remove the batt,and keep it nice and warm, just wanted to make sure the old 'puters in it can handle not having power going to it for months at a time, thanks for ALL the advice