Wire Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 07:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by charliepace
Thanks goodness for the 4th of July

charlie pace
What's so important about the 4th July?

Interesting about side exhausts, having a Morgan as well I have read that the Areo 8's although have side exhaust outlets in the UK and Europe they cant in the US as its illegal. Is this a urban myth?

I also find it very strange about wire wheels, If you look in my garage you will see a car which had to have wires, but an optional extra at the time were Ace wheel disks. These COVERED THE WIRES UP, as wires at that time were as common as muck.

Now every one wants wires!

And as for white walled tyres, has anyone fitted their XK with those?

Old 06-24-2011, 07:07 AM
Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Abacusman

Interesting about side exhausts, having a Morgan as well I have read that the Areo 8's although have side exhaust outlets in the UK and Europe they cant in the US as its illegal. Is this a urban myth?
Urban myth. It is possible that any of our states (we have 50) may have a law against it, but I do not think so. We could put side exhausts on pretty much anything we drive.

My wife could put them on her Subaru wagon if she wished.

Jack

BTW - where in SW England are you from? My wife is English (from Plymouth). We visit often. Spend lots of time in Cornwall. The Lizard Peninsula is my all time favorite.

Last edited by BlkCat; 06-24-2011 at 07:10 AM.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:14 AM
Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts

Good discussion! I will probably take some photos of mine and then fool around with photoshop to get an idea. From my perspective, I have always wanted to make my vehicles stand out; my other two are far from stock. That said, the XK8 is very unique in its own right. I have not seen another one on the road here yet.

The side pipes are probably a bad idea, though could be executed with more style if molded to the body as in the attached photo of a Mustang.

As for the wire wheels, I am still partial to them, but agree in the comment that the larger wheel sizes just do not look good in wires. Regardless, as stated in the original post, the current wheels look pretty bad and will be replaced.

Now, about that tuxedo t-shirt, nice analogy. I am a different driver with each of my vehicles, as each one drives and feels different. I love the Jaguar as a break from the burly off road lumber wagon feel of the Jeep, as well as a change from the brute force noise and acres of cheap plastic that is the Magnum experience. The XK8 makes me feel mellow, refined, calm. I certainly would not want to change - or cheapen - that experience.

Attached Thumbnails Wire Wheels-mustang-side-pipes.jpg  
Old 06-24-2011, 07:40 AM
Veteran member
Received 169 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by theweeb
Regardless, as stated in the original post, the current wheels look pretty bad and will be replaced.
I have to agree about the Revolver wheels. Very uninspired design.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlkCat

BTW - where in SW England are you from? My wife is English (from Plymouth). We visit often. Spend lots of time in Cornwall. The Lizard Peninsula is my all time favorite.
Not as far west, Shaftesbury , North Dorset,famous for its Gold Hill, if you have ever seen a calender of England you would have seen a picture of a cobbled hill with thatched houses running down the left hand side. Thats in Shaftesbury

http://www.shaftesburydorset.com/content.asp?sid=10

Last edited by Abacusman; 06-24-2011 at 09:12 AM.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Frog
I have to agree about the Revolver wheels. Very uninspired design.
The look good on XJs though. I just think they are too heavy of a design for our cars.

Old 06-30-2011, 03:14 PM
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Wire Wheels

Weeb,

When I bought my black on black 98 vert, it already had 17 inch Dayton Wires on them. While that might not have been my first choice, they have not given me any problems other than they are a bear to keep clean. Additionally I have added 2 and1/2 in wide whitewalls for an XK120 tribute look. I am currently in the hunt for a luggage rack also to add to that look.
While some would never attempt any radical personalization of their car...its your car so I would say go for it. Most changes can be undone and brought back to original anyway so I vote go for it.
I will try and post a picture if I can figure how.
Dave

Attached Thumbnails Wire Wheels-xk8-whitewalls-5.jpg  
Old 07-01-2011, 08:29 AM
Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts

Dave, thanks for sharing. Very unique! I can see it with a luggage rack of fine hardwood slats and a chrome rail, with dark leather buckle straps.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by platinummaker
Weeb,

When I bought my black on black 98 vert, it already had 17 inch Dayton Wires on them. While that might not have been my first choice, they have not given me any problems other than they are a bear to keep clean. Additionally I have added 2 and1/2 in wide whitewalls for an XK120 tribute look. I am currently in the hunt for a luggage rack also to add to that look.
While some would never attempt any radical personalization of their car...its your car so I would say go for it. Most changes can be undone and brought back to original anyway so I vote go for it.
I will try and post a picture if I can figure how.
Dave
As they say: And now for something Completely Different!

Old 09-20-2012, 11:13 PM
Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

I have had wire wheels on my corvettes in the past. The only wire wheel I had a problem with was the true Knock off style. They are a real pain to balance because they have to be spun balanced on the car. a real problem with cars like ours. How do you support the rear suspension at 60+ MPH to spin balance them?

If you take the wheel off, you have to mark the hub & wheel to make sure you put it back in the correct spot. not only do you have to balance the wheel, you have to balance the hub too. that is why MG, Healy, E type Jags. etc. are so hard to get right. You balance the wheel but not the hub and so you get a vibration.

With Bolt on syle wire wheels, the are like regular wheels. you only need to balance the tire & wheel, not the knock off hub. So they are easy to get right.

But they are still a pain to keep clean and they like to rust and the spokes can come loose as well.

But they look good on any Jag.