XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Wire Wheels: To spoke or not to spoke

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 10:05 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by XKRacer
Wire wheels are a PITA, even if you have so called stainless steel they still go rusty.

Look great when new but after about a year, rubbish.

And black.......Sir, you have strange taste, each to their own I guess!
PITA? Perforation Inflow Test Analysis? Rusty? That's the name of my dog.

Black is strange? Strange taste? No Sir, Black is Beautiful. My best friend is black. That would be my 5000 lb. gas guzzling Titan 4X4 with a carbon footprint the size of Godzilla and a Blow Me Obama bumper sticker on the back. I call her the Black Titanic. But it wouldn't be the first time someone suggested that all my taste was in my mouth.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 477 Posts

Pain In The (_/_)

I like black wheels....I am having Black Chrome 20" Paris on my XK....just not black wires they even looked bad when I fitted a set to an E type

Last edited by XKRacer; 11-03-2010 at 10:36 AM.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:37 PM

Pain In The (_/_)

I like black wheels....I am having Black Chrome 20" Paris on my XK....just not black wires they even looked bad when I fitted a set to an E type

I was kidding about the black wires. "Brembo (brake dust) Black" get it?

Black Chrome? That's a death metal band isn't it? I think I saw them open for Nirvana just before what's his name blew his own head off. Just kidding again. One more 20,000 watt rock concert would probably kill me at my age.

So where do I see what a black chrome Paris wheel looks like?

Old 11-03-2010, 07:52 PM

Update! The repaired wheel from Dick Maury and Coventry West has arrived. It looks great. It looks clean. It looks new. It looks like it's not going to click when it rolls. It looks like twenty cases of premium imported beer is what it looks like.

When it stops raining I'll install it with my new Red Chinese torque wrench purchased specifically for the occasion. I'll get back to you on the clickity-click thing when the weather clears.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:11 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

I sure hope it works, I really don't want to see the wire wheels on your xk...

Old 11-04-2010, 02:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 477 Posts

Originally Posted by I-RIGHT-I
[/font][/color]

I was kidding about the black wires. "Brembo (brake dust) Black" get it?

Black Chrome? That's a death metal band isn't it? I think I saw them open for Nirvana just before what's his name blew his own head off. Just kidding again. One more 20,000 watt rock concert would probably kill me at my age.

So where do I see what a black chrome Paris wheel looks like?
To be honest....no I didn't lol

I have the wheels just have not had the finish done yet but when I do the colour will be like the pic below but you just have to imagine a Paris wheel with the stainless trim, should look sweet on a Phoenix Red XK

Old 11-04-2010, 06:04 AM

should look sweet on a Phoenix Red XK

Oh, yeah...a red Jag. Almost anything is going to look good on a red Jaguar. I almost held out until I found a red one but couldn't pass on this one particular platinum.

Originally Posted by h20boy
I sure hope it works, I really don't want to see the wire wheels on your xk...
I hope it works too and I'll find out Saturday, high of about 72 and sunny. If it doesn't I'll have some Detroit wheels for sale shortly afterward. I probably won't go with wires; Brutal's practicality has nearly convinced me. That pot hole I hit yesterday at the Galleria in my truck didn't help any.

Note to self: Write letter to Mayor Fuzzy Britches complaining about the condition of her lousy streets.

Old 11-04-2010, 04:15 PM
Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

I had a 1993 XJ6 VDP in Kingfisher Blue with the factory Dayton wires. When they were clean, it was gorgeous. When they were clean. I never did find a spray-on cleaner that would really get them clean without brushing, and getting a brush in there was a real pain. If you do go with them, here's a tip (learned the hard way): Don't EVER use that flat-fix stuff. It eats up the spoke-end sealant and they won't hold air. Dayton will fix them for like 50 bucks, but you get to pay the shipping both ways. But they are gorgeous - when they're clean.

Name:  DSC_1020448.jpg
Views: 1294
Size:  61.3 KB

The following users liked this post:
Ian A. McLaren (07-02-2014)
Old 11-04-2010, 04:23 PM
Received 126 Likes on 110 Posts

The wheels on my Jag are clean (I mean really clean and shiny) for at least 30 miles or so, and a lot less if I have to actually use the brakes.

Old 11-04-2010, 05:11 PM
Received 2,194 Likes on 1,360 Posts

Originally Posted by XK8+XJ8L
I had a 1993 XJ6 VDP in Kingfisher Blue with the factory Dayton wires. When they were clean, it was gorgeous. When they were clean. I never did find a spray-on cleaner that would really get them clean without brushing, and getting a brush in there was a real pain. If you do go with them, here's a tip (learned the hard way): Don't EVER use that flat-fix stuff. It eats up the spoke-end sealant and they won't hold air. Dayton will fix them for like 50 bucks, but you get to pay the shipping both ways. But they are gorgeous - when they're clean.

heres a tip for you, all you have to do is dismount the tire. clean the rim inside where the spokes are sealed with Acetone. remove any peeling loose sealant with a razor. Spread silicone in the entire area to reseal. cost of mount and balnce, and a tube of silicone, and Acetone instead of shipping and waiting

Old 07-14-2012, 07:54 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I know this may be an old thread but:
There is a gorgeous Botaniacal Green 2008 XKR coupe for sale on cars.com right now with beautiful, gorgeous, mind-blowing spoke wheels!
Looks absolutely perfect for this car in a classic green color.
Am seriously thinking of fitting my 2207 XKR BRG Coupe in same.
Such a beautiful, classic look!

Old 07-14-2012, 08:28 PM
Received 126 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by tnt10
I know this may be an old thread but:
There is a gorgeous Botaniacal Green 2008 XKR coupe for sale on cars.com right now with beautiful, gorgeous, mind-blowing spoke wheels!
Looks absolutely perfect for this car in a classic green color.
Am seriously thinking of fitting my 2207 XKR BRG Coupe in same.
Such a beautiful, classic look!
Beautiful and gorgeous always have consequences and that is high maintenance.

If you are prepared to pay the piper for the maintenance, then go for it!

Old 07-15-2012, 11:34 AM
Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

I wanted to comment on your idea of painting wire wheels black. I wrote three different versions. I decided that it would be better if I just shut up. Good luck.

Old 07-15-2012, 12:46 PM
Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Hmmmm...not for me

Now see, I think that's absolutely beautiful. The wheels could stand to be an inch larger, but I don't want them too large--they'd look like ghetto spinnaz.

Old 07-15-2012, 04:34 PM
Received 140 Likes on 103 Posts

My late 95 XJ-S came with gorgeous Dayton wires. Looked fantastic. However, I was told that the wheels were too heavy for the car and that she would ride better with stock wheels. Don't know if that was accurate or not as I sold the car with the wires on and never experienced it otherwise. As far as cleaning, I used a wheel brush sort of like a bottle brush. Made the job pretty easy if you kept up with it. I never had a rust problem and my car lived in my driveway. In fact, I have a spare Dayton wire sitting out in my backyard for about four years and it really shows little rust.

The following users liked this post:
Ian A. McLaren (07-02-2014)
Old 07-16-2012, 03:14 AM
Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts
Old 07-16-2012, 08:41 PM
Received 140 Likes on 103 Posts

Very sharp, OJL!

Old 07-17-2012, 01:44 AM
Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Stamford
Very sharp, OJL!
The wires actually make the red work. I wish it were mine.

Old 07-02-2014, 12:19 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I too am really leaning towards Dayton's for the 97. I know about the upkeep but I really think the look is worth it. I've talked to a couple of people that have them on their cars and they indicate the 70 spoke wheels are quite robust. Performance wise there is a price to be paid but I'm not looking to win any stoplight grand prix and the car won't be running around pylons plus the impact on braking distances will be minimal. The only real issue I have right now is the $3000.00 Cdn. it's going to take to make it happen. The major factor is the wife loves the Dayton's so I think I'm doomed.

Old 07-02-2014, 01:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 601 Likes on 446 Posts

The photo in post #9 is just to much bling for my likening. Kind of like wearing a big gold plated dollar sign around your neck. Wires do scream old school but that may not be all that bad. I'd like to see some 40 spoke wires instead of the 80 or above.

Quick Reply: Wire Wheels: To spoke or not to spoke