XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Won’t start after winter shutdown 2 (UK)

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 04:39 PM
Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts
Unhappy Won’t start after winter shutdown 2 (UK)

Hi
Like Chuckben my car has thrown a wobbly removed my fuel pumps checked them using a battery (dead)both of them. Trying to buy new ones OMG £168 from the *******s but no stock went to British Parts they had two pumps, one with the correct connector the other one had a normal spade connector with a matching plug and flying leads that need splicing in to the standard link lead. This is something that I did not want to do for two reasons , one a new link lead is £68 each if I need to replace it the second is connecting the two leads together reliably in the environment of the fuel tank.
British Parts have said that they may need to ship a new pump from the USA and it won’t be in the UK until the end of the month, Mmmm they did not mention what year though.
Are you guys in the USA getting the same problem with supply????

IanP

Old 04-22-2012, 04:45 PM

Ok
Fitted the new pumps in the tank and checked the resistance of the pumps and all the wiring looms, all was well.
I then tried to fit the tank back in SOAB trying to manipulate that back in to position took ages.
In the end I modified the leading corners by gently bending them up, giving those vital extra MM that was needed.
Fitting the under car pipes back into the tank fittings was ok just a little fiddly.
I also replaced the in line filter and both relays.
Turned the key and cranked her over and after a few turns she fired up with a great V8 jolt and gentle rocking. Took the P&J out for a drive and all was well.
Praise the lord.
Now I have to re wire all my amp’s back in that will take a bit of time.

IanP

The following users liked this post:
Norri (04-22-2012)
Old 05-01-2012, 05:17 PM

Ok
I have striped a fuel pump down. Here are my findings and thoughts.
First thing what a cow of a Job I cut the top and bottom of the motor body to release the top plastic cap with the outlet pipe and also the motor brushes. These still worked fine tested using a multimeter. This also brought out the outer motor magnets and central shaft with the armature coil. I tested the armature coil and got an open circuit reading, was expecting a resistance of some sort. The bottom of the pump had the impeller drawing the petrol up from the tank bottom via the filter.
Scary thought [j28] is the petrol is pumped through the motor including the armature and contact brushes then out the pipe at the top of the pump.
So more [j28] is this means all the electrical connections are submerged in petrol.

My thoughts first is the little black box on the internal looms
May be a capacitive spark suppressor.
Second thought is failure mode. When i stored my car I did it with only a gallon of fuel, thus the pumps were dry after the petrol inside them evaporated thus no lube in the bearings. So on start up the motor shaft has no lubrication and very difficult to turn thus burned out coil on both pumps.
As an interest the people who had pump failer after storage did they have an empty fuel tank??? Which would help support my thoughts.
This is just my thoughts and ramblings.
IanP :smt017 :smt102

Old 05-01-2012, 05:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

As written by Ian
Scary thought [j28] is the petrol is pumped through the motor including the armature and contact brushes then out the pipe at the top of the pump.
So more [j28] is this means all the electrical connections are submerged in petrol.
A submerged spark will not ignite gasoline, it takes a mixture of oxygen and when these pumps are submerged a spark will not ignite the fuel. I remember watching this scientific experiment on Mr. Wizard when I was a kid. For all of you who's over the pond he was a scientist that had a kids show who did scientific experiments back in the late 50's and early 60's. I lost my pump a few months ago and my tank is almost always full.

Last edited by RCSign; 05-01-2012 at 05:42 PM.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:35 PM

Your right but it's still a bit of a scary thought.
IanP