XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Wonder if others have had this. . .

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 05:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 456 Likes on 299 Posts

It had me confused for a while too. I think this is the American version of that UK forum.

Old 09-16-2015, 06:27 PM
Received 6,322 Likes on 5,509 Posts

Originally Posted by frankc
It had me confused for a while too. I think this is the American version of that UK forum.
You're in danger of being struck down Frank.

Old 09-16-2015, 09:20 PM
Received 189 Likes on 123 Posts

Sounds crazy to some but, the next time that happens, check the humidity. Internal combustion engines run differently when humidity is higher or lower. Maybe just enough to notice if one is tuned in.
If one is more tuned in to the car, it may happen often.....

Cheers

Old 09-17-2015, 02:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 456 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Norri
You're in danger of being struck down Frank.
Just noticed one is called

JaguarForum.com - The World's # 1 Jaguar Car Forum

and this one

https://www.jaguarforums.com/

Basically one is taking the S out of the other

Old 09-17-2015, 06:06 AM
Received 6,322 Likes on 5,509 Posts

Well the "other one" until recently was called "jaguarforum.co.uk" then decided to change for some unknown reason.

Old 09-17-2015, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 539 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Schexnayder
Sounds crazy to some but, the next time that happens, check the humidity. Internal combustion engines run differently when humidity is higher or lower. Maybe just enough to notice if one is tuned in.
If one is more tuned in to the car, it may happen often.....

Cheers
Actually I was thinking about that. Tuesday morning was the first time it has rained in some time in LA and my drive to work was in a mild to moderate rain. The great performance episode started when I started the car at the end of the day. But I still am more convinced it was the stutter-start I caused by releasing the key too quickly. The other thing I noticed over the last day or so is a slight buzz sound that lasts for maybe 5 seconds when I turn the key to the on position. I thought it might be the sound of the antennae going up but it more sounds like it is coming from the instrument panel. Lasts only a few seconds and not really that loud but still curious.

Doug

Old 09-17-2015, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 539 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by Norri
Well the "other one" until recently was called "jaguarforum.co.uk" then decided to change for some unknown reason.
I thought the general appearance of that website looked familiar. Is it still as heavily uk-oriented as it had been before the name change?

Doug

Old 10-14-2015, 12:49 AM
Received 189 Likes on 123 Posts

SeismicGuy.......Seeing your write up above about a slight buzz when you insert the key. I was thinking (I know---dangerous for old guys) I wonder if these cars have a built in buzz when the key is inserted? I have an old Ford truck (1980) that when the key is inserted there is a buzz until it's turned to start. Just wondering------
My hearing is so bad lately, if there was a buzz, I couldn't hear it anyway.

Cheers

Old 10-14-2015, 09:33 AM
Received 128 Likes on 91 Posts
Default You are not dreaming

Yes Doug you are right. I have been in the Automotive Business ( domestic) for over 40 years. Computer controlled vehicles going back 35 years seem to at times readjust itself for emission settings. Fuel ratios, Ignition Timing, shift points, top end speed, etc.
I have seen two identical vehicles, engines, etc next to each other which will sound differently, as well as perform differently.

After market engine/ tuning hand held computers can alter these settings. I have one on my '05 GMC. Set for performance. I can even alter the advance timing if certain conditions exist. Able to go over 100 mph, or advance timing higher with the go pedal to the floor, downshift to 3rd gear as id I need more power to pass.
These items are available. Not so sure I would play around with a Jag as they seem to be finicky. I would just enjoy the times your little kitty says its ok, enjoy go for it, and leave it at that. Rich

Once in awhile your engine responds like a new sports car, like Mom and Dad went out for the evening and its time for the kids to play.

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
Didn't know quite what to title the thread but today I had one of those particularly exceptional driving days in terms of the car's performance. I have had this sort of thing happen on the last few cars I have owned and I always thought I was imagining it but it was definitely weird. What happens is for some odd reason the stars all align right and the car drives like it is on steroids. Today was the first time this occurred with the Jaguar but it used to happen with my old Vette every so often and I am not sure what triggers it but it only seems to last for a particular driving cycle. Once you shut engine off the next time you start it seems normal again.

Specifically what happened today was I started the car at the end of the day to return home and didn't quite hold the key long enough so it died. I started again and suddenly the car is responsive like I never experienced. It takes off with barely a touch of the throttle and drives like it has at least 50 more horsepower all the way home. I was reluctant to shut it off since it is unlikely this fluke will occur tomorrow.

I think the same type of startup hiccup (i.e., not quite starting the first time but quickly starting the second) was the same thing that would cause the Corvette to run more briskly.

It is almost like the car wakes up on the right side of the bed, for lack of a better analogy. Has anyone else had a similar experience where for some odd reason your car behaves this way?

Doug