XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Work to be done on a used replacement engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 01:27 PM
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Work to be done on a used replacement engine

Hello everybody!

I bought my new XK8 2002 coupe a few months ago (~50 Kmiles). Being fully aware of the absence of reliable mechanics' experience inmy native Jordan, I did too much research on this website on all checks relatedto buying a used XK8 , and I even took the car to the dealer for a, ratherexpensive, check-up.

The dealer came back with a long and very expensive looking to-dolist, but nothing out of the ordinary. I knew that the car had a colorfulhistory and is rather famous for being looked over by a silly mechanic whotook the engine apart and couldn't put it back together again, leading to lawsuitsetc. In all cases, the car looked OK and ran smoothly and I bought it.

Two months later, while trying to figure out why I wasgetting camshaft sensor error message (I think P0010 and P0020) , I could not locate the sensors, their wires, or anything at all! In fact, the whole VVT module was missing!

I couldn'tread the engine number but the manufacturing date was stamped at1999!

I was livid; the main reason I bought the car was because, to myunderstanding, by 2002 issues with Nikasil liners and amazing disintegratinggearboxes were resolved once and for all... The engine and gearbox I have in my2002 XK8 are from, I think, a 1999 or 2000 KJ8. Rats...

To cut a long story short I have a used engine coming fromthe UK by sea freight, should get to the Amman port within 2 weeks (from a ~80mile 2002 XK8). I also have a replacement radiator coming over for goodmeasure. I want to do a thorough service before installing it. So far, my listincludes the following on my to do list:
  • Tensioners and chains including related gaskets etc
  • Water pump
  • Thermostat and tower
  • Transmission oil and filter
  • Sparkplugs
  • Injectors
  • Accessory drive belt
  • New oxygen sensors (they've been giving error messages)
  • Cleaning and, where needed, replacing connectors on the harness (I understand that the harness is different for left and right handdrive cars)

Anything else you guys suggest I should do to the enginebefore putting it in? head gasket? lower engine gaskets?

Cheers

MJ

Old 01-20-2013, 03:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have my respect - many would have thrown the car away and started with a different car. These cars are a labor of love - we do it because we want to!
Hope she is on the road soon!

Old 01-21-2013, 03:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by jafari
I was livid; the main reason I bought the car was because, to myunderstanding, by 2002 issues with Nikasil liners and amazing disintegratinggearboxes were resolved once and for all...
I wish people would realize the silly things they say.

Nikasil is not an issue. High sulfur content gasoline during the late 90's in some areas was the issue. A Nikasil engine still running is better than a block using steel liners.

Don't believe me? Count how many Porsches you see on the street. Every time you pass one, you pass a Nikasil lined block. Just saying... :P

Old 01-21-2013, 07:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,108 Likes on 764 Posts

Originally Posted by xenophobe
I wish people would realize the silly things they say.

Nikasil is not an issue. High sulfur content gasoline during the late 90's in some areas was the issue. A Nikasil engine still running is better than a block using steel liners.

Don't believe me? Count how many Porsches you see on the street. Every time you pass one, you pass a Nikasil lined block. Just saying... :P
Not disagreeing with a thing you said about the gas, not the nikasil being the problem, but the OP is also in the part of the world where a lot of that high sulphur oil comes from.

So, depending on his confidence in the local gasoline refineries and supply chain, he may have a legitimate concern. Just saying... :P

The following users liked this post:
jafari (01-21-2013)
Old 01-22-2013, 02:48 PM
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes, thank you very much guys, but any help with the to-do list? Head gasket? Oil lower engine gaskets?

Old 01-22-2013, 05:30 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Everything you have on your list will be a lot easier to do out of the car on an engine stand. The transmission filter could be changed but you would need to have the motor back in to do the oil fill. You shouldn't need any head or oil pan gaskets they really don't need to be removed for your to do list. The guys in Europe might be able to help you with places to get parts. Hope that helps Good Luck.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Water Lines

There is an octopus water line (heater, etc..) that has several lines running off of it that runs at the back of the engine under the throttle body from one side of the car to the other. It was a pain to get to all the various connections while in the car. Having had to replace one of those once I would definitely take a good look at that hose while the engine is out of the car, and replace it if necessary, or close to necessary.