XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

would like opinions on this XK

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 07:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 456 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by frankc
A few things to check ...... I notice there are no photos of engine bay.
Glad you see what I meant now. You did the wise thing in asking these guys on the forum for their opinion.

No matter what anyone says if the car does not 'feel' right then do not buy. Sometimes your subconscious mind spots something you do not register straight away.

I am sure you will find one soon enough. Good luck with your hunt.

Old 03-19-2018, 09:08 AM
Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by frankc
Glad you see what I meant now. You did the wise thing in asking these guys on the forum for their opinion.

No matter what anyone says if the car does not 'feel' right then do not buy. Sometimes your subconscious mind spots something you do not register straight away.

I am sure you will find one soon enough. Good luck with your hunt.
Amen.

Old 03-20-2018, 10:38 AM
Received 680 Likes on 489 Posts

Good decision, always follow your gut on stuff like this if only because, if it goes wrong, you'll kick yourself all the harder. Keep us posted on the next car and best of luck!

Old 03-20-2018, 09:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 654 Posts
Smile Easy to spend someone elses money!

Slazz,

I apologize for doubting your decision on this "Victory-Edition" Convertible! Its really not any of my business and I shouldn't have made any comments about it! But now that you mentioned you have found a Black one, I see your point..
it's always easy to spend someone else's "MONEY"!

Good Luck and I hope you find what you want!

Billy Clyde in Houston

Old 03-21-2018, 09:38 AM

@bcprice36

Thanks for your kind thoughts. I was a bit frustrated when the Victory convertible didn't pan out. Trying to track down one of these beauties is turning out to be a real challenge but I know when this part of the journey finally ends I'll be the better for it. Thanks again to you and to everyone else for their insight. This is a very helpful and very informative forum.

Old 03-23-2018, 04:23 PM
Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Man, 50K on a SoCal car. And its a limited Vic edition. I mean, its just a few cosmetic things, that make it different from a regular XK8. But if you don't already have an XK, this is a great grab. The engine on 2003+ is flawless. My is at 170K. The only turn off for me, is the afterthought looking, useless navi. Course my low end XK8's 3 gauges are useless too, but they look good! I know peeps cream jeans over the XKR. but again the navi (standard on XKR) is an eyesore, and while SuperCharger is better than plain Turbo, I personally always have a heart for NA engines, over any forced air inductions. XK8's are 100hp less (on paper) but at least you get to use the whole powerband. And at launch and low rev driving, XK8s and XKRs are about the same feel.

Last edited by Julian Black; 03-23-2018 at 04:48 PM.
Old 03-23-2018, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Julian Black
Man, 50K on a SoCal car. And its a limited Vic edition. I mean, its just a few cosmetic things, that make it different from a regular XK8. But if you don't already have an XK, this is a great grab. The engine on 2003+ is flawless. My is at 170K. The only turn off for me, is the afterthought looking, useless navi. Course my low end XK8's 3 gauges are useless too, but they look good! I know peeps cream jeans over the XKR. but again the navi (standard on XKR) is an eyesore, and while SuperCharger is better than plain Turbo, I personally always have a heart for NA engines, over any forced air inductions. XK8's are 100hp less (on paper) but at least you get to use the whole powerband, at launch and low rev driving, XK8s and XKRs are about the same feel.
I picked up a Silver 2006 XK8 (see the member pics section).

I have to agree with your comment about the navigation interface. It is very outdated but I don't plan on using it for much more than the digital clock display. I'd replace it with the 3 gauges but I think my money is better spent on a few upgrades which brings me to a question you or someone may have an answer for.

Has anyone upgraded the the XR8's shocks to Bilsteins or Konis. If so, I'd appreciate the info.

I also plan on installing a stainless steel cat back exhaust. That will have to be a custom fabrication.

Last edited by SLazz; 03-23-2018 at 04:49 PM.
Old 03-23-2018, 04:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,430 Likes on 766 Posts

Originally Posted by SLazz

I have to agree with your comment about the navigation interface. It is very outdated but I don't plan on using it for much more than the digital clock display. I'd replace it with the 3 gauges but I think my money is better spent on a few upgrades which brings me to a question you or someone may have an answer for.

Has anyone upgraded the the XR8's shocks to Bilsteins or Konis. If so, I'd appreciate the info.

I also plan on installing a stainless steel cat back exhaust. That will have to be a custom fabrication.
I know for a fact that the XK8 shocks (not CATS) are factory Bilsteins. So, it's not really an upgrade. However, if you want an increased performance shock, such as coilovers or Koni FSD, you would have to check with them to see if they make anything that is compatible.

I do happen to have the Koni FSD in my other car, they are amazing on that vehicle, but I don't know how they would work in the Jag.

The following users liked this post:
Julian Black (03-23-2018)
Old 03-23-2018, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by giandanielxk8
I know for a fact that the XK8 shocks (not CATS) are factory Bilsteins. So, it's not really an upgrade. However, if you want an increased performance shock, such as coilovers or Koni FSD, you would have to check with them to see if they make anything that is compatible.

I do happen to have the Koni FSD in my other car, they are amazing on that vehicle, but I don't know how they would work in the Jag.
I didnt know that, just knew they did use some good parts. Nice info! Thanks

Old 03-23-2018, 05:08 PM

If the XK8 has Bilstein shocks already installed as factory OEM then I won't change them out. Bilsteins, whether Sport or Heavy Duty, are solid as a rock and perform about as good as I'll ever need. The question then is how many average miles will they last before needing a change out? I'm thinking 60,000 to 70,000 miles of conservative driving.

Last edited by SLazz; 03-23-2018 at 05:14 PM.
Old 03-23-2018, 05:09 PM

As for the "gut" feeling on Jags. To me, that doesn't work too well. I mean they do use good main parts, not much room for improving. Most are OG owned by old golfers, doctors and folks taking a Sunday cruise after church. Most engine issues are from NOT driving the things with some gusto. Yeah a Porsche or BMW, you can tell in your gut if they will have catastrophic failure. Even by looking at the OG owner's social media! XKs will just nickel and dime you. Power steering lower line leaks and rots suspension bushings, electric issues, vacuum leaks, top issues, CD changer errors. Stupid stuff that will ALWAYS add up to 4k additional on any XK. and its all non-gut feel stuff, until you lower your sun visor and the mirror cover flaps open in your face, and your headrest motor whines away not moving while your new Ke$ha CD is stuck. Always best to just find the color combo and (few) options you like, cuz really its all about the looks. And tuck away an extra 4k, at any buy price, cuz you will need it.

Old 03-23-2018, 05:14 PM

Yo, thats the same color combo as my 2004. Congrats. FYI, Dove interior is a rarity, and was on my "needed" list! Those orange things on the side, I switched out for clear. Look so much better.

Old 03-23-2018, 05:16 PM

$4K for repairs? Good thing I have an extra car and an app for Uber on my Smart Phone.

BTW, where did you get the clear lens markers? They do look waaaaaay better than the orange ones.

Old 03-23-2018, 05:37 PM

I got the lens on EBAY. One of them is a FORD style lens, cant remember which. The indicator is a complete unit with bulbs. The reflector one you need to replace the amber cover with clear, as its only the lens you can buy. $4k is what I total spent on bits to get car back to perfect. That included power steering line ($700) new plugs, couple coils ($150+ each), new suspension boots, new Toyo front tires, alignment (twice) some issue with radiator fan connection and programming. and a bunch of used parts from Galaxy Auto, they are a Jag dismantler in Sun Valley. It all can be done cheaper, but I use Just Jaguar in Sherman Oaks, as they use only OEM parts. Oh yeah, I did have an issue that 2 rear coils went south (this is COMMON!) And it took out a cat converter. Lucky Galaxy replaced it for $600 with O2 sensors from a low mile 2005. So I had both replaced ($1200). Just one new cat convert alone on these guys is like 4k each! So i'm not doing too bad!

Last edited by Julian Black; 03-23-2018 at 05:40 PM.
Old 03-23-2018, 05:46 PM

Thanks for the info. Sounds like you have your XK dialed in. Great job!

The following users liked this post:
Julian Black (03-23-2018)
Old 03-23-2018, 05:49 PM

oh yeah a couple other goodies to look for. If your cruise control doesn't work and you get some brake warning, its the brake light switch by peddle that gave up the ghost (another common electrical gremlin). Also the on trunk button's wiring breaks at where it bends when trunk opens. pretty easy to get in there and repair. But if ignored, cuz there are still 3 other ways to open trunk, you may get pulled over cuz chances are the license plate light wires are broke as well. And for a surprise wipe some rubbing alcohol over that black trunk button and a cat face and green button will magically appear out of the blackness.

Old 03-23-2018, 05:56 PM

Thanks for the info. Sounds like you have your XK dialed in. Great job!
Yeah I know these cars pretty well, Hit me up if you need anything. And check out those places mentioned. George is my mech at Just Jaguar and Avo is Galaxy Auto parts,since your in Los Angeles. With Jaguars you gotta have a couple resources in your book. There is another place named Elite for Jag parts, but I don't use him, as he is way overpriced, and the owner, Rick, was a bit "could not be bothered" with me.

Old 03-24-2018, 10:59 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi folks. Just joined today because I just bought my Jag today.

I test drove that same Victory edition today. It seemed to drive decently but I haven't driven that many. I didn't think the price was quite low enough but it was pretty.

I ended up getting a 2005 XKR with a few more miles (82000). I probably should have waited but man that supercharger is addictive.

There is a 1999 XK8 with 39000 miles for sale on Facebook marketplace for $7400. I went and looked at it and almost bought it but again, no supercharger. It would be a steal for someone looking for a little older XK8.

Old 03-24-2018, 11:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 654 Posts
Default Big Don, The New XKR Guy!!

Originally Posted by DonLafferty
Hi folks. Just joined today because I just bought my Jag today.

I test drove that same Victory edition today. It seemed to drive decently but I haven't driven that many. I didn't think the price was quite low enough but it was pretty.

I ended up getting a 2005 XKR with a few more miles (82000). I probably should have waited but man that supercharger is addictive.

There is a 1999 XK8 with 39000 miles for sale on Facebook marketplace for $7400. I went and looked at it and almost bought it but again, no supercharger. It would be a steal for someone looking for a little older XK8.
Hey Don,

Congratulations on joining the XKR Club! Now we need photos of the newbie, so we can pass judgement on it! What color is it, is it a convertible, is it a Coupe......All those things! Several of us have the 2005-2006 Models and we would like to see yours....

Thanks for sharing!

Billy Clyde in Houston

Old 03-25-2018, 12:59 AM
Received 107 Likes on 81 Posts

Yes, inquiring minds want to hear more and of course see some pics! And of course congrats on your purchase.

Granville

Quick Reply: would like opinions on this XK