XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Would you consider buying this one?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 01:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would you consider buying this one?

I've looked at a few XJ8 convertibles in the past - '99 and then a '00 but was advised strongly to get an '03 if any way possible. I'd pretty much talked myself out of one unless I could get my hands on a decent '03, which I didn't think was going to be possible. The one in the link below is available, in the colours I want (white with tan interior & convertible) and I'd love to hear your thoughts on this particular car.

You can see the carfax report on it via the link, it's had 2 owners, 1 lien on it, but don't know if that's good or bad. I can't see as much of the service on it as I'd like. I live in Columbus, OH and Chicago is close enough that I could fly out and drive it home. I don't get the impression that it's been inspected by a Certified Jaguar Mechanic, and I'd like to have that done.

So, firstly are there any specific questions I should ask the dealer via phone regarding this car before I go the the expense of hiring a Mechanic, and secondly, does anyone know of a reputable certified Jag Mechanic in the Chicago area that they'd recommend that I could hire to do an inspection. Finally, is there anything about the vehicle that's apparent to anyone that should send me running away from it.

Here's the link: http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...00&cardist=293

Thanks in advance for your time and help!

-Kelsey

Old 07-11-2009, 12:00 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

Nothing jumps out, but doesn't mean you won't go thru some of the same things that we have, hydraulic lines in the convertible top, telescoping/tilt wheel failing and other small issues. If I were you, i'd hire that jag mechanic to take a look at the car, it'll be well invested $$ and if he's good, he'll be able to catch most of the flaws and tell you with some certainty if any of the major stuff is going out. Of course, it can't be guaranteed, but you'll have some confidence.

It's a good price. I spent twice that for roughly same mileage just 2 years ago.

If you haven't read thru the XK8/XKR forum for the last year or so, i'd still recommend that. It'll give you a list of specifics to ask the mechanic to verify for you, in addition to the regular stuff.

Old 07-11-2009, 07:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,111 Likes on 932 Posts

Appears to be a nice looking car at a good price.

The recent chain of ownership in the CarFax report needs explaining. I would check on accident damage/repair with your inspection. The fact that the CarFax does not report any does not mean that there is none. As their report clearly states '. . . reported'.

Unclear in the photos but the glove box wood match to the rest of the dash is questionable. Could indicates air bag deployment. I would ask for a full dash photo as well as of the driver's seat. No one wants to show the seat wear. Tires also.

A couple hundred dollars on a full inspection report will make you feel a lot better.

Plan on a couple thousand in reserve just in case of tires/brakes/other.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:17 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

good catch test point, I didn't even see the other pics other than the 1-8. Glove box above-trim does appear different wood, indicative of that air bag deployment. I'd be interested to see if any codes are still in the car from that repair. I bet the front bumper is freshly painted, maybe even the hood & fenders, depending on the speed of the impact. That's not necessarily a dealbreaker, and warrants a much better price as shown.

I don't know if I could live with the drastic color difference in the wood though. I'd ask for a bigger discount or to get the full dash matching.