XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTH....no oil discussions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 11:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Sorry if I sounded crass... I'm guilty of the same thing in many other circumstances... I just don't see synthetic doing much for an engine overall except in really extreme usage conditions and super high mileage cars (like approaching 500k). Do whatever you wish with your car and may it be more the merrier for it.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:31 AM
Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by xenophobe
Sorry if I sounded crass... I'm guilty of the same thing in many other circumstances... I just don't see synthetic doing much for an engine overall except in really extreme usage conditions and super high mileage cars (like approaching 500k). Do whatever you wish with your car and may it be more the merrier for it.
No harm, no foul.

Just an FYI, though: after about 100 miles of driving up into the mountains and back I checked my oil and....it was much cleaner than before. Hmmmmmm...so, after adding that last top up qt. and driving it to have the codes read it is a definitely cleaner from appearance. My assumption would be that the Fram filter was crap, and the Bosch is doing a much better job.

Old 11-10-2011, 03:59 PM
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Back in '85 I had a Chevy wagon. Used it every day. Changed oil and filter every 3K miles. Sold car with 185K miles on it. Met new owner 3 years later. Still had the car now with 230K miles. Engine was never opened up. He continued with my 3K oil changes. From that point on I change @ the manufacturers recommendation for hard service, even though I'm pretty gentle on my vehicles. I think the XK's that are put away every winter and only used on weekends have the most trouble with premature wear from so many dry starts. Mine is a daily driver so that is not a problem for me. There must be an additive to keep parts lubed while they're hibernating. Jack

Old 11-10-2011, 05:43 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think that as long as you change the oil on regular intervals the filter quality is much more important than the brand of oil. I have used Fram filters before and had one that had the inside material sucked out into the thread area where it threads onto the car. Since then I have never used another Fram filter. The whole idea of the filter is to catch and keep the junk from circulating through the engine. I know they used to recommend changing the filter every other oil change, but in my opinion that is backwards.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,007 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  19.3 KB

Over here Fram don't get the best of names either for filters. It seems that they do a job but aren't most peoples first choice for filters.

As I've said many many times before regular oil changes are certainly not a bad idea. Having said that I've ran company cars that have been thrashed daily and used the "longlife servicing" regime with oil changes at 18k miles.....I can hear some of you actually Gasp in horror.....lol
Those cars all went 160k miles + in 3 years with no engines issues to speak of.

My own personal car used longlife servicing for 3 years when I was doing a lot of motorway miles and oil / filter was changed at 18k miles....now the car operates on a much more stop / start round town usage I change the oil around every 10k miles.
I'm now at 88k miles with no issues to report

Old 11-10-2011, 09:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by JimC64
Having said that I've ran company cars that have been thrashed daily and used the "longlife servicing" regime with oil changes at 18k miles.....I can hear some of you actually Gasp in horror.....lol
Those cars all went 160k miles + in 3 years with no engines issues to speak of.
Sounds like my Ford F250 work truck. Somewhere after 40 or 50k miles I stopped servicing it altogether. I just replaced the quart of oil it would burn every 3 weeks or so. At about 150k miles the body was so beat to hell that I had it towed to the scrap yard. The engine was still running perfectly, but nobody wanted to buy it seeing how badly the body was messed up.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:39 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
Octane? Anybody for an octane thrash?

Of more importance why does this bunny have a pancake on his head?
He lives in a rice paddy.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:29 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Having worked in the Canadian oil patch service sector for many years, I personally witnessed the extreme conditions our field trucks had to endure. Vehicle replacement was a huge expense and dino oil was our only choice at the time. So we had a lab evaluate different grades of engine oil samples and found that the higher rated oils (more expensive) did not usually break down nearly as quickly as the cheaper grades. Changing to better quality oil lowered our engine repair costs substantially. This site may be of interest regarding dino vs synthetic oil.

Oils Against Oils - Major Oil Brands go head-to-head on the dyno.

Merry Christmas All
Terry

Old 12-28-2011, 10:20 PM
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

"Of more importance why does this bunny have a pancake on his head?"

Pancake Bunny,,, is the nickname given to Oolong,,, a rabbit from Hokkaido, Japan, who was trained by his owner Hironori Akutagawa to balance objects on his head. After a few years of posting these to his website, his images were discovered by a website called Syberpunk and rose to national mainstream attention in the U.S.
Over the course of Oolong’s short life, Akutagawa took hundreds of photographs of the rabbit balancing a wide variety of small, light objects on its head. Oolong passed on January 7th, 2003.

The Pancake Bunny typically sighted with the text “I have no idea what you’re talking about… so here’s a bunny with a pancake on its head.” This is a dismissive response similar to “My hair is a bird. Your argument is invalid”

Your Question should be,,, Can this little critter help Guide Santa's Sleigh Next Year...

The jackalope has bred the rise of many outlandish claims as to the creature's habits. For example, it is said to be a hybrid of the pygmy-deer and a species of "killer rabbitt". Reportedly, jackalopes are extremely shy unless approached. It has been said that female jackalopes can be milked as they sleep belly up and that the milk can be used for a variety of medicinal purposes. It has also been said that the jackalope can convincingly imitate any sound, including the human voice. It uses this ability to elude pursuers, chiefly by using phrases such as "There he goes! That way!" During days of the Old West, when cowboys gathered by the campfires singing at night, jackalopes could often be heard mimicking their voices. It is said that a jackalope may be caught by putting a flask of whiskey out at night. The jackalope will drink its fill of whiskey and its intoxiction will make it easier to hunt. In some parts of the United States it is said that jackalope meat has a taste similar to lobster. However, it has been said that they are dangerous if approached. It has also been said that jackalopes will only breed during electrical storms including hail, explaining its rarity.

The following users liked this post:
SuperTrav (02-14-2012)
Old 12-28-2011, 10:24 PM
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Almost Forgot,,,

Last edited by Count_Damonee; 12-28-2011 at 10:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
SuperTrav (02-14-2012)