XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Are X100 Style XKRs Appreciating in Value?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 05:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Are X100 Style XKRs Appreciating in Value?

I happened to be looking on eBay and just for fun checked out what the X100 style XKRs were selling for and was very surprised to see, cars with more miles than mine (58800), were selling for more than I paid for my 2002 nearly 3 years ago. There was even an XK8, with 30k miles (in very nice condition) selling for almost $25k. I'm not saying they will get that much but it is more than I was seeing just last year. Also, there are far fewer numbers of these cars being listed.

As are most of us here, I am biased towards the X100 style, but I truly believe these cars will become true classics and follow in the foot steps of it's XKE predecessor.

Mark

Old 03-27-2014, 08:25 PM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

Not yet.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,419 Posts

The prices are definitely firmer and higher than they were 4 years ago when I bought my mint condition 2002 XKR convertible with 62000 miles for a little over $15000.00. Therefore, they are not losing any more value, and I believe good examples are appreciating. Will they ever reach XKE status, well that depends. First of all, really only first series XKE convertibles have become very valuable. Coupes, 2+2s, second and third series, XKEs are available from very cheap to moderately cheap, so ours may achieve that kind of status rather quickly. Will there be $125,000 examples like restored first series convertibles, I doubt it for quite a long time, but it wouldn't be the strangest thing that has ever happened.

Old 03-28-2014, 01:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 477 Posts

Here in the UK it is very evedent..... A couple of years ago you could of picked up a high mileage slightly tatty XK8 for about £2k or less add a 1000 for an R, for something that needed engine work as well you could halve those prices but now you will be looking at £3k as a starting point..... Not saying cheap XKs dont exist they do, there is one on eBay right now XKR coupe for £2500 but from the description it needs £8k spending on it to make it a desent car....

For something that is presentable and not needing any work £5k

Old 03-28-2014, 04:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 904 Likes on 482 Posts

There are so many X100s around, it will probably be another 40 years before the become rare enough to rise in value. By then we will probably be running out of petrol/gas and will need electric motor/battery conversion kits to keep them on the road.

Old 03-28-2014, 06:06 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Autotrader UK only have 11 XKR convertibles. Pre 2005 nationally and the asking prices are going up.

Old 03-29-2014, 07:54 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RaceDiagnostics
There are so many X100s around, it will probably be another 40 years before the become rare enough to rise in value. By then we will probably be running out of petrol/gas and will need electric motor/battery conversion kits to keep them on the road.
I have a 2002 XKR Coupe and less than 10000 were ever made. Of that number, only 5000 were ever imported into the US. That already makes, at least, the coupes rare. Of the 5000 coupes that were imported into the US, I hazard a guess that only 4000 are still on the road. Looking at eBay, a couple years ago there were generally 20 to 30 XKRs advertized at any given time. Yesterday there were 5 advertized, only 2 of which were coupes and the prices were higher. This is not wishful thinking but an observation.

Mark

Old 03-29-2014, 08:05 AM
Veteran Member

I just did a google search and, while there is no data for the US, I did find that there are a little over 4500 E-Types still on the road in the UK. This is in the same ballpark as my estimate of the number if XKR coupes still on the road in the US.

Mark

Old 03-29-2014, 08:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 689 Likes on 559 Posts

Why don't Jags appreciate in value like other exotics? The E-type mentioned above is a great example. It is considered one of the most iconic sports cars of all time and routinely makes the top car lists of bucket cars. And lets not forget the often mentioned quote from Enzo about it being the most beautiful car ever made.

So why are Ferrari prices so much higher than Jags? Both have a racing history, both are beautiful and both sold in small volumes for large amounts of money.

Part of the difference is the cost of maintenance. There are many folks on here (hell, even me) who do their own routine and not so routine maintenance. Even when we don't, the cost for an indie mechanic to get us back on the road is not so much as to be out of reach. Go to the Ferrari forums and see how many guys are doing their own repairs. Simple routines on those cars turn into serious dollars very, very quickly. Buying a Ferrari is just the start of the cost involved.

The Jags will always lag behind in collector status (high prices) IMHO simply because the type of guy who buys them doesn't have an unlimited budget. Joe the plumber is not buying Ferraris, or if he does he won't keep it very long.

I can afford to bid another $50k on a desired car if my budget was $500k to start with. At that point it is no longer about owning and driving a car you want. It is about having a car your neighbor doesn't.

We all drive our cars. Many of us do it daily. Doubt that is true for the same percentage of Ferrari owners.

Just my 2 cents and probably worth less than that.

The following 3 users liked this post by Jag#4:
bt_bob1 (03-29-2014), CorStevens (09-07-2020), Norri (03-29-2014)
Old 03-29-2014, 10:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,369 Likes on 2,857 Posts

Mike,

The XK8/XKR really isn't an exotic. Expensive when new? Yes. A niche car from a niche company? Yes. A fantastic GT when purchased for "Honda money" after the massive depreciation has taken its toll? Absolutely. But an exotic? Nope....

Old 03-29-2014, 10:57 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jon89
Mike,

The XK8/XKR really isn't an exotic. Expensive when new? Yes. A niche car from a niche company? Yes. A fantastic GT when purchased for "Honda money" after the massive depreciation has taken its toll? Absolutely. But an exotic? Nope....
Agreed, exotic is the wrong word for the XK8/R. So how do the 400/400i and Mondial Ferraris command such high prices? Even the Ferrari collectors tend to look down on them as plebeian.

You could make the argument that our early cars are just restyles of the entry-level Aston of the time (many did). Granted the Aston was a bespoke car, but they routinely go for +50% of the Jag price with a 6-cylinder engine. And the Astons are now going up in value again.

Don't get me wrong while I love my blue cat, I would absolutely like to try out Ferrari or Aston ownership. But my point is, are they worth the exponential increased value over the Jag?

Old 03-29-2014, 01:10 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jag#4
Agreed, exotic is the wrong word for the XK8/R. So how do the 400/400i and Mondial Ferraris command such high prices? Even the Ferrari collectors tend to look down on them as plebeian.

You could make the argument that our early cars are just restyles of the entry-level Aston of the time (many did). Granted the Aston was a bespoke car, but they routinely go for +50% of the Jag price with a 6-cylinder engine. And the Astons are now going up in value again.

Don't get me wrong while I love my blue cat, I would absolutely like to try out Ferrari or Aston ownership. But my point is, are they worth the exponential increased value over the Jag?

I admit that I have looked at Astons, and if I had unlimited money, I might even buy one. However, it would be in addition to my Jag, not in place of my Jag. There is not a single car that has been made since 1975 (when the made the last E-Type) that I think is more beautiful than our XK8/Rs.

My ex-business partner has a 2004 Maserati 4200 Coupe. When new is cost $4000 more than my 2002 XKR did new, so essentially the same price. He is a very good do-it-yourself mechanic but last ear he spent $14,000 for a new clutch and air conditioner because both were beyond his ability.

So, is that it, because our cars can be fixed by regular guys they aren't as "exclusive" and therefore not as desirable?

Mark

Old 03-29-2014, 01:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 540 Likes on 403 Posts

I appreciate mine every day

Doug

Old 03-29-2014, 01:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

You can safely call the XK an entry level exotic.

Compare production numbers... They produced nearly as many or sometimes more Cameros or Mustangs in a single year as they did in the 10 year span span of the XK.

Many XK's, with tax and registration put the price tag over $100k. The sticker price on my '05 was $97k before tax and reg.

Limited production numbers, $100k+ cost... I have no problem calling it an exotic.

Are they or will they increase in value?

They already hit bottom. And at some point you'll stop finding them for really cheap.

I think it's silly to say they'll increase in value, that would mean that they would be selling for more than they originally cost. That's not likely to ever happen.

Old 03-29-2014, 03:07 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by xenophobe
Are they or will they increase in value?

They already hit bottom. And at some point you'll stop finding them for really cheap.
I absolutely agree.

Originally Posted by xenophobe
I think it's silly to say they'll increase in value, that would mean that they would be selling for more than they originally cost. That's not likely to ever happen.
I love my blue cat, but would be willing to break even and let it go for sticker.

Old 03-29-2014, 03:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 567 Likes on 514 Posts

Not all cars follow the law of supply and demand. Some niche cars, even with supplies in the 100's of "living" examples will never reach six figures unless someone needs one for a museum or something.

Only time will tell how the X100s fare in the collector car market. It is still way too soon to tell but I wouldn't hesitate to stash a few really nice examples away if I had the money...

Old 03-31-2014, 12:08 PM
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Jag#4
So why are Ferrari prices so much higher than Jags?
Having owned a Ferrari in the past, and now a Jag (both of similar eras)... I can say that there is no doubt why Ferraris always command more money. A Ferrari is more than the sum of its parts - not only in the driving experience, but mechanical repair as well. I would look forward to completely disassembling a Ferrari & rebuilding it... whereas my XK8, not at all. I wish I could explain it better.

Last edited by Mr. Feathers; 03-31-2014 at 12:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Jag#4 (04-03-2014)
Old 04-03-2014, 08:11 AM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
Default ? Aston Martin DB7 doing much better than XKR?

As a former Porsche guy, the joy of the Ferrari, I can imagine the difference.
I suspect prices have bottomed out. That is why I decided to keep mine for a few more years and do modifications that I would otherwise never bother with (just buy a car made with what you want).

I wonder if the AM DB7 are doing much better. Aside from getting one with a manual, they command a big premium over Jag but never compared to what they were originally. The cost to trade "up" however looks silly and getting an LSD added to an XKR suddenly looks like a good deal.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:35 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by weisberg
I wonder if the AM DB7 are doing much better. Aside from getting one with a manual, they command a big premium over Jag but never compared to what they were originally. The cost to trade "up" however looks silly and getting an LSD added to an XKR suddenly looks like a good deal.
This was my conclusion as well and I am very happy with my XKR since I added the LSD and the lower s/c pulley upgrade. I have been tempted several times by an AM but when I look at them, I just don't like them as much as I do my XKR. They are considerably more expensive to buy, maintain, and modify. One of my pleasures in owning my XKR is modifying it to my tastes. Mark

Old 04-03-2014, 09:49 AM
JSC
Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

My perception is that there are more "optimistic" pricing going on with sellers assuming that buyers have more money to spend on cars. You will have to look at actual selling prices over time to get the real picture.

However, there has been some suggestions lately in the US that buyers are going more for European cars than muscle cars. The biggest increase in prices I have seen during the last few years was in older Japanese cars, of which some has now true classic status.

I do believe that the X100 XKR's will become classics, but I also believe it will take at least another 20 years time - and then, my XK8 will probably not be the desired model to own!

Just my 2c...

Quick Reply: Are X100 Style XKRs Appreciating in Value?