XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X100 XK8 & XKR Owners Whats The Next Jag for You?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 04:20 PM
Received 28 Likes on 12 Posts

Planning on keeping the current one...

Old 02-26-2012, 04:33 PM
Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Another Jag? I don't think so--after learning about them the hard way. Another diesel pickup truck? I don't think so with fuel costs being so high? Maybe my diesel will be the last truck I ever have to buy.

Hey, maybe it'll be an electric vehicle. If O'Bama has his way, we'll all be driving alternative fuel vehicles.

My only question is where the electricity's going to come from since they're shutting down all our coal fired power plants and they have not built a U.S. nuclear power plant in 15 years.

And to think we're complaining about $3.80 premium gasoline. I'm going to Italy next month, and the current unleaded gas is E1.82 p/litre, or $9.27 per U.S. gallon.

If we were looking at gasoline taxes like the EU has, we'd all be riding Vespas to work.

All kidding aside: I rented a new Ford Focus to drive to Florida two weeks ago, and it really drove nice for a small vehicle. I got 37 mpg @ 75 mph. Not bad.

I'm just glad that the Jaguars get relatively good fuel mileage, relative to the horsepower, comfort and ride quality of these cars.

Old 02-26-2012, 05:58 PM
GGG
Received 16,852 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Something I can stretch out in:

Green's Carriage Masters -Black Daimler Jaguar Hearses and Limousines

The front one in the top left photo looks comfortable.

Old 02-26-2012, 06:31 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I am thinking about getting a xk8 coupe, maybe black with chrome wheels, red with chrome wheels with a red lip, or white with white wheels - and may or may not keep the xk8 convertible

Old 02-26-2012, 07:14 PM
Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

The styling of the last generation XK's are a high point, the XF looks like a Nissan and the new XK's are nice but just not as distinctive. Their styling is like a middle aged woman, a bit pulled back with wrinkles not curves. I really like the Panamera's but they are 100k+. I'm in SoCal and I have not seen any cars that are as beautiful as the last generation XK's including my bosses latest Maserati. SL63's look really good too.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:24 PM
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Bought the wife an 05 XKR,,, just sold the XJ and I am looking for another 05 or 06,,, However, I would absolutely entertain an Aston Martin,,, There are many down here with LOW MILES,,, Want the Coupe thou

I saw an Aston here in Palm Beach,,, 02 I think??? with 1,350 miles... THATS NEW IN MY BOOK...

Old 02-26-2012, 08:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 278 Likes on 171 Posts

I agree with just about all I have read. The style of my XK8 convert is outstanding and I love driving it. I would not go newer than the 05. The newer ones just look too much like and Aston Martin and a lot of other high end cars. And performance is not that important to me since really high speed driving in my part of the world is a little risky with all the large critters running around with antlers. The Jag is a great touring car with the top down and with the price of fuel it does quite well as a daily driver with me or my wife. My wife looks great in the car with the top down.

Only one question. On this side of the pond what is a DB9?

EZDriver 95 XJ6 2000 XK8

Old 02-26-2012, 09:39 PM

DB9 Below

Old 02-27-2012, 07:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 561 Posts

I've done a bit of research on modern Astons and while I like the DB9, I don't think it's a great choice(for me).

I've been looking very closely at Bentley Continental GTs; and within a few years I might do that. You can get an early CGT right now in good condition with decent miles from a dealer for a real cost of about $65k; with the average 04-05 going for about 10k more than that if you don't want to search or wheel and deal. I think they are significantly more reliable than the DB9, but I will continue to look. I think a good early CGT will be in the mid 50s within 1-2 years and I think they will bottom out in the low 40s for the hooptified ones for a long time.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,849 Posts

I would say that our two current Jaguars should serve us well for many years to come. My biggest concern is the steadily-rising cost of fuel. Our S-Type gets the best mileage in our fleet, my 1999 Dodge Ram pickup gets the worst, and our XK8 and 2004 Lexus RX330 AWD SUV are in between....

Old 02-27-2012, 09:30 AM

"I've been looking very closely at Bentley Continental GTs;"

Ditto- very nice ride and those are quite plentiful here,,, the owners I have talked to are very happy with them,,, They are the pinnacle of their collection of Daily Drivers....

The problem I see with them is that they are regarded as more of a status symbol with the owners and they will hold a higher value longer in comparion to the Jaguars...

That being said they are sharp... Inside and Out,,,, Need a Coupe,,, But the Drop Top looks Sweet... I would be afraid to drive with the Hot Florida Sun beating down on the interior thou...

Last edited by Count_Damonee; 02-27-2012 at 09:43 AM.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 539 Likes on 402 Posts

That's sort of a hard question for me. While I am basically just an average upper middle class guy I have always had a passion for cars that were just a little bit different and/or those that I really couldn't afford. By some weird stroke of luck I have been thus able to satisfy my car passion on a budget. Also, as I get older I find the thrill of the hunt is still fun but the excitement fades quicker with the actual obtaining.

My weird car passions have taken me from 1970 Roadrunner, 1979 Toyota Supra, 1981 Audi 5000 Turbo, 1986 BMW 325, 1995 Corvette and finally the Jaguar. The cars bought new (Supra, BMW, Corvette) were only affordable to me since there was some great deal at the time (e.g., Corvette was $10K off sticker). When I could not afford new I would go on the hunt for the best I could find previously owned.

The Jaguar was my most concerted search effort since I was dealing with 2 conflicting issues (1) basically this was my dream car since first seeing the E-type as a kid at the New York auto show when it was first introduced so I just had to have one (2) these cars were particularly rare due to their high cost/low production.

I started looking casually but it became more and more like a search for the Holy Grail. Of course the more it looked like I wouldn't find one the more I had to have it. Finally through some mystical karma I found the perfect one at the perfect price just a couple of miles from my home. I really do not have any similar passion for another car to take its place at the moment or in the foreseeable future.

Doug

Old 02-27-2012, 11:41 AM

"I started looking casually but it became more and more like a search for the Holy Grail."

I really enjoyed that as well. Once I knew what I wanted I truly enjoyed the search... Looked at every state except Alaska and Hawaii and found the perfect,,, the exact car I had based my criteria on,,, 184 miles from home...

Trying to clear my plate so I can start that again since this purchase was for the wife,,, Just have not felt the same OHHH YEAH FEELING with anything that I have seen yet,,,, But I am not giving it 110% right now,,,

Old 02-27-2012, 02:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 561 Posts

Originally Posted by Count_Damonee
"I've been looking very closely at Bentley Continental GTs;"

Ditto- very nice ride and those are quite plentiful here,,, the owners I have talked to are very happy with them,,, They are the pinnacle of their collection of Daily Drivers....

The problem I see with them is that they are regarded as more of a status symbol with the owners and they will hold a higher value longer in comparion to the Jaguars...

That being said they are sharp... Inside and Out,,,, Need a Coupe,,, But the Drop Top looks Sweet... I would be afraid to drive with the Hot Florida Sun beating down on the interior thou...
It'd be a coupe and it'd be a DD for the summer. I don't really care about the status symbol of the car as much as I car about the looks, performance, build quality, materials quality, reliability and serviceability. It's why I bought an A8 over a 7-Series or S-Class.

I don't care how common those Bentley's are; as I just want that car. It ticks all the boxes. DDable-check, Nice to really DD-check, Powerful-check, Nice to look at-check, Well put together-check, Top Notch Materials-check. I have driven plenty of raw sports cars, and even at my age, I would rather daily drive a car that is comfortable. I enjoyed that every day last summer I drove my XKR, rain or shine, as it was comfortable and nice to do so. I'm looking at Bentley for a similar summer DD experience.

Many sports cars can be driven daily, but it takes a nice GT to make it a really nice daily car. The CGT is one of those cars.

Old 02-27-2012, 05:22 PM
Received 78 Likes on 58 Posts

I think I already posted this elsewhere but I want a 05/06 XKR coupe or convertible next then in a year or two something R type thats newer. I really love my convert but at some point want a coupe because they are beautiful. I also realized while driving my XKR it has NO space in it, cept of course for me and a lovely lady passenger, LOL. Guess I will have to keep a 308 around for hauling stuff other than a woman, LOL.

Old 02-27-2012, 05:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 539 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by Count_Damonee
"I started looking casually but it became more and more like a search for the Holy Grail."

I really enjoyed that as well. Once I knew what I wanted I truly enjoyed the search... Looked at every state except Alaska and Hawaii and found the perfect,,, the exact car I had based my criteria on,,, 184 miles from home...

Trying to clear my plate so I can start that again since this purchase was for the wife,,, Just have not felt the same OHHH YEAH FEELING with anything that I have seen yet,,,, But I am not giving it 110% right now,,,

The older I get the better I relate to the quote by Spock (not Dr. Spock but Mr. Spock):

After a time, you may find that "having" is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as "wanting." It is not logical, but it is often true.
-- Spock, "Amok Time", stardate 3372.7

Doug

Old 03-28-2012, 11:18 AM
Received 151 Likes on 106 Posts

another convertible, either a 2006 xkr or DB7

Old 03-28-2012, 11:52 AM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

If a wad of cash hits me, an E Type convert to compliment the 03 XK8.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:37 PM
Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts

Audi RS6

Old 03-28-2012, 02:31 PM
BeO
Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd love to mod this car first, if I find the money somewhere. A bit more power, and if it wasn't such a hard thing to do I'd put a manual transmission in it. One can dream, right?

I'd love an old series 1 E-type coupé, but considering how much they cost I might as well pay just a little bit more and get one of my true dream cars. A Maserati Ghibli.

But for now that's way out of my league

I'll stick with my Black Cat for a bit longer

Quick Reply: X100 XK8 & XKR Owners Whats The Next Jag for You?