XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

xk 8 engine mounts

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 02:46 AM
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default xk 8 engine mounts

Hi all

I looked up the previous postings on xk8 engine mounts as mine needed changing (so I was told). Although I am an adequate amateur mechanic the process looked pretty daunting.
Well its all done and wasn't so bad!!
Firstly all the info on the forum is correct as you will need to overcome certain "difficulties".
Although I have access to a hoist I chose to do them from below with the car on stands/ My car is a normally aspirated 2001 VX8 coupe and has travelled 130,000km.
With the car on stands I began on the passenger side as the forum said it was (relatively) easier.
I jacked the engine up from below about 50mm (until I got nervous of the "stretch" being applied to hoses etc.
Problem number 1 - find out who assembles these at the Jag plant and take him off steroids - I have never come across such tight bolts. The bottom (LH and RH) bolts are an easy access with a 13mm socket. The LH top nut is restricted access from below and zero access from above. It is OK if you have a "flat" design socket set,
The RH top is an easy access from the top with a universal driver to allow you to get the angle you need.
Problem number 2 - the steering universal joint is reasonable access but a total pain to get off. Every one says "mark it for replacement" - well I marked it and replacement was so awkward I had to ignore my marks. I had to disconnect the rack from the lower (rack side) end of the joint as there appeared to be too little room to remove it from the "car" side.
Once undone (yes seriously tight bolts) I could complete the removal of the mount and replace it with a new one.
Both mounts showed signs of leakage and one was in two pieces.
Apart from the re-connection of the rack everything else was ok and proceeded without drama. I will now have to reset the steering wheel though.

This job is do-able by an amateur mechanic with minimal tools the only must have (in my opinion) is the flat socket set - or at least in 15mm.

So:
did they need doing? - yes
was it an easy job? - sort of - there are much worse (for access) jobs to do
can I tell the difference? - well actually NO but maybe I got them fairly early??

all the best and thanks to all the other posters on this issue.

jd

The following 6 users liked this post by johnd8008:
avern1 (04-11-2017), BobRoy (04-11-2017), GGG (04-11-2017), Johnken (04-12-2017), michaelh (04-11-2017), toaster (04-11-2017) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-12-2017, 05:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,810 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Jd, wish I had done mine. You just saved your self $500.

John

Old 04-12-2017, 05:32 PM
hm1
Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts

You'll really notice the difference if you also do the transmission mounts

Old 04-12-2017, 08:00 PM
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default transmission mounts

Funny you should say that as I looked at them and thought they looked fine (but so did the engine mounts to a non expert) and I had already decided to change them as a "precautionary".
Thanks for pushing me further down that line

jd