XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

XK Owner, What Is Your Age?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 12:21 AM
Location: Marin County, CA, USA - Just north of San Francisco
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

75 in years and ??? in spirit! DaleD Just havin fun...

Old 06-09-2011, 09:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

43 and looking forward to many more years with the Jag - judging from the previous posts. You guys over, 60, 70 , not mention 80 have my utmost respect - obviously nice cars are making us younger.
Btw, those beatiful shapes of XK8 & XKR somehow seem to resemble the curves of the planes - that´s why quite a lot of people of this forum have something common with the aviation. I´m B737 Captain.
Owning this car is (besides I really like it) my personal revolt to all my friends family wagoons, oil crisis and good sense. And what is the best - my wife understands me!

Old 06-09-2011, 12:03 PM
Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by captom
Owning this car is (besides I really like it) my personal revolt to all my friends family wagoons, oil crisis and good sense. And what is the best - my wife understands me!
Hey Tom - Good sense is a relative thing. In my opinion you're the one who has it right. Also, it sounds like your wife is a keeper!

By the way, I have totally loved my trips to Czech Republic!

Cheers,

Old 06-09-2011, 01:37 PM

Hi Larry, glad you liked it here. Hopefully you´ll come back once again, even it is a long journey - you would have a nice car ready here:-).

Old 06-09-2011, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by captom
Hi Larry, glad you liked it here. Hopefully you´ll come back once again, even it is a long journey - you would have a nice car ready here:-).
Oooo. Now THAT'S tempting. I can't imagine how pleasant it must be to cruise the Czech countryside in an XK8. My first trip to Praha was around 1991. My last was in 2004. It was amazing to see the difference. They have done a good job of modernization without destroying the historic feel of the city.

Thanks,

Old 06-09-2011, 04:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 278 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
EZDriver! I had no idea that you were a fellow homebuilt aircraft enthusiast! I have built a few planes myself, although never a Long EZ. I built a Quickie Q2, which is another Rutan design, but I didn't finish it. I got 90% done and realized that I still had 50% of the work ahead of me. Hundreds of hours of sanding and filling is not my idea of a good time. I just didn't have the patience. I completed the airframe but when it took me 50 hours to fill and sand just the rudder, I realized that composite airplanes weren't my thing. I sold it to someone with more free time. Here's a pic before I sold it. The top pic is the actual plane, the bottom pic is what it was supposed to look like when it was finished. (and no... it didn't sit out in my back yard. I couldn't put it together in my garage, so about once a month I would pull it out, screw the tail onto the forward fuselage, sit in it, and make airplane noises.)

About six years ago I was flying my Quicksilver ultralight low over some trees and the engine failed. I went into the trees and ended up in the hospital with a broken back. I haven't done much flying since then, but lately I've been getting the bug. I've never got up to mach 3.2, but one time I did hit mach 0.26 in a Cherokee 140 (I was in a steep dive )
Hi Marty,

Your airplane looks like it was real close to being finished. Yes, that last part was pretty rough. Took me six months to do the smoothing and painting. But I have won two awards at the EAA fly-in at Arlington, Washington. That is where I was when I built the bird. I'm going to do a picture of both Jags and the Long EZ in the near future. I'll post it and send you a shot or two by your email.

Flying an ultra light was not one of my desires. One thing good about them you always knew where you were going to land if the engine quit, right below where you were flying. The Long has been flying now since 1994. Don't fly it as much after moving to Texas as I did when I lived in the Seattle area. I actually felt the flying weather was better there than it is in Texas. But Texas is home.

Take care and thanks for all the help you have been to me and all the other guys

EZDriver

Old 06-09-2011, 04:11 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DaleD
75 in years and ??? in spirit! DaleD Just havin fun...
Ok, since you guys are getting fussy about the exact age I guess I'd better do a little correction. I won't be 76 until the 20th of this month, June. But darn it I'm proud of my age. It has been a pretty darn good life and I've been very lucky. Not too many dumb things. Only one dumb thing I've done recently was take up tennis last summer. And I'm getting pretty good too.

EZDriver 75 until June 20th then 76

Old 06-09-2011, 05:55 PM

Hey EZDriver, am I correct in understanding you flew your Long-EZ out of Arlington, WA? In an earlier post I said I had a friend who built a Varieze. I think he flys it out of Harvey Field, so you probably know or have run into him. Name is Joe and he's a great Person.

Cheers,

Old 06-09-2011, 09:54 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by XK8+XJ8L
Hey EZDriver, am I correct in understanding you flew your Long-EZ out of Arlington, WA? In an earlier post I said I had a friend who built a Varieze. I think he flys it out of Harvey Field, so you probably know or have run into him. Name is Joe and he's a great Person.

Cheers,
yes, I know Joe. He is a good guy in addition to a Person. Haven't been back there for about nine years. I made the first flight about the same time that Joe did, both from Arlington. Great airport. At that time I lived in Snohomish which is where Harvey field is located. That is not a good ariport for an EZ. I have gone in there, in fact that is where I got my license. It is really too short for me as it is only 2200 feet usueable. The Harveys are great people I miss them. If you make contact with Joe tell him the Long EZ guy with the airplane named Reliance said hello.

EZDriver

Old 06-09-2011, 10:05 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by XK8+XJ8L
I am 64, but nobody believes it. I contend that owning really fun cars has contributed greatly to keeping me both looking and feeling young.

For you Fly-Guys, I have spent many hours gawking at the Blackbirds in museums and have sat in a flight deck mock-up. Cozy. I also got to sit in the right seat on a Concorde during an engine run for maintenance, but never left the ground, so I'm still just a sub-sonic mortal. I have a friend who built a Varieze - really sweet airplane, and I expect the Long-EZ is even nicer. I rode a Cessna 150 down through 100 foot tall fir trees one week before my youngest daughter was born (walked away) and decided, with help from my wife, that flying was something I needed to postpone for a while. Loved it, but never really got back into it. I work for Boeing, and one of the neatest things I've ever done was participate in their "Executive Training Program". I got to spend a month in the flight-training classrooms and simulators learning to fly a 767. Former Space Shuttle Commander John Creighton was one of my instructors. What a blast! I still can't believe they actually PAID me to do that. Before 9/11/2001, I occasionally got to ride jump seat on commercial flights too, but alas, those days are over.

Totally love the Forum, and can see that the age distribution is one of the reasons it works so well.

Cheers,
Hi XK8+XJ8L,

Since you are a fan of the beautiful Lady in Black let me stir your interest some. Are you aware that the SR-71 was not the first airplane. The first airplane was not even a military airplane. And don't come up with the U2.

EZDriver

Old 06-09-2011, 11:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,261 Likes on 565 Posts

Are you talking about the A-12? Wasn't it the CIA's version of the SR-71?

Old 06-10-2011, 02:09 AM
BeO
Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

38 for a few more months, born in -72

Old 06-10-2011, 02:55 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 06-10-2011, 09:11 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
Are you talking about the A-12? Wasn't it the CIA's version of the SR-71?
Pretty good Rev Sam, almost. Actually you have it a little bit backwards. The A12 was the original airplane. And it was designed and built for the CIA as a replacement for the U2 to obtain a higher altitude capability. Then the Air Force got the responsibility for the air reconnaissance mission and they wanted a two seat airplane. So they stretched the A12 to add the second station among othe things and it became the SR-71. They look alike but the A12 is a single seat airplane.

Now we are getting way off subject.

EZDriver

Old 06-10-2011, 10:32 AM

47, but 39 when got first XK8.

Over here Jag has reputation of being old mans car, but that is beginning to change with the XF. Youuff (Youth) are into Renault Cleos Saxos if that means anything to you guys, but would not be able to insure an XK. Havent a clue what insurance is over the pond but here I would guess £2000-3000 for a 25 year old for a year.

However, I do hold the record for the youngest new Morgan buyer in 1997, or more accurately up untill the month I bought mine, 33. In those days there was a 6 year waiting list however.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by EZDriver
Hi XK8+XJ8L,

Since you are a fan of the beautiful Lady in Black let me stir your interest some. Are you aware that the SR-71 was not the first airplane. The first airplane was not even a military airplane. And don't come up with the U2.

EZDriver
Hmmm. Could you be referring to the M-21, the only remaining one of which is on display at our Museum of Flight in Seattle along with its D-21 drone? That is still a military application, though. Or maybe the YC-12A that NASA had??? (I have to admit, I had to do some online research to find out about the YC-12A).

By the way, BIG THANKS to loveatfirstsight for starting this thread. We've gone down a few rabbit trails, but we've learned a lot about each other here.

Old 06-10-2011, 01:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 561 Posts

Originally Posted by Abacusman
47, but 39 when got first XK8.

Over here Jag has reputation of being old mans car, but that is beginning to change with the XF. Youuff (Youth) are into Renault Cleos Saxos if that means anything to you guys, but would not be able to insure an XK. Havent a clue what insurance is over the pond but here I would guess £2000-3000 for a 25 year old for a year.

However, I do hold the record for the youngest new Morgan buyer in 1997, or more accurately up untill the month I bought mine, 33. In those days there was a 6 year waiting list however.
Insurance isn't bad; old people cars throw the statistics off, the average age being so far from mine(24 as of 2 days ago) makes me benefit from golden fogies being good drivers and not causing high dollar payouts per vehicle. I have a lot of stuff insured with the same company, but the Jaguar for full coverage with liability set to the max the company would give me, is $880/yr.

Old 06-10-2011, 04:11 PM

69 until July

Old 06-10-2011, 04:25 PM
Smile XK/XKR owner age

Mine is an 06 XKR convertible and I'm 67. That car is the only quick thing about me.

Old 06-10-2011, 05:06 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Bought it when I was 47...now 50. In my case I liken the Coupe to a good looking sailboat. After you leave it you have to look back and smile. (I trust need not state the other obvious analogy...women?).

Life is good.

Quick Reply: XK Owner, What Is Your Age?