XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

XK Owner, What Is Your Age?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 07:52 PM
Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts

A very young 63. My Jeep TJ (bought a couple of years earlier) signalled my mid-life crisis. The Jag, on the other hand, shows that I weathered it very well. :-)

Old 06-14-2011, 05:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am 32 and own several different types of cars. I like my Jag, and will probably love it when I can get all the nitpick stuff done.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:33 AM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

True story; BTW I am 49,

I have owned a few classic American muscle cars. My typical routine was to buy the best example of what held my interest at the time, give the car what it needed, enjoy the car for a number of years until something else grabbed my attention which would result in me selling what I owned (garage space) and pursuing the new fancy.

My last American muscle was a beautiful 66 Mustang which every one loved and my wife hated. She would complain about the "uncomfortable" seats lack of safety features wind noise etc.

One day while on a cruise she turns to me and says "You should drive a car thats more appropriate for a man of your age. This is a boys car and has no class to it" To which I replied "You know what your saying don't you? You know what kind of car you are talking about correct?" Now she is in a bit of a corner but can't really back down so she replies "I know what I am saying" So once again I ask "You know what price point we are talking about here right?" Once again she does not back down "I know and I don't care this car makes you look ridiculous!" "OK" I said "lets have it your way."

Well even though I have "permission to break the bank" I was not about to do so on a new Mercedes SL or something similar but I did start looking and thats when I found the XK8. Well its an easy car to love and truth be told it is a pleasure to drive a modern car. The day I drove it home I could instantly tell two things; One, she loved the car, she loves everything about it and truly enjoys it as much as I do. Two, At first I refused to tell her how much I spent (17K) and for a period of time I can tell she was thinking " I cannot believe he spent that kind of money that S.O.B.!"

Well I had some fun with that for a few days but I ran into another problem, when I told her how much I really spent she became upset with me for "forcing" her to drive a Civic when she could be driving one of these cars!

Ahhh Marriage!

Old 06-14-2011, 01:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

38 - A lot of folks think I'm having a mid life crisis early. Sod 'em I say, I love my Jag.

Old 06-14-2011, 02:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A very young....

43! I think you need to have seen some of life to truly appreciate the Jag!

Cheers,
Paul.

Old 06-14-2011, 02:32 PM
Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts
Old 06-14-2011, 03:16 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

47 too....I inherited mine from Dad two years ago....I'd gladly give it back to dad if I could but damn! I love this car...it's a '02 XKR in anthracite...Dad was 71 when he bought it, he was like a little kid, he'd wanted one since '62 when he was in Germany in the service, he never said he regretted not getting one then but I always knew he did. He had the XKR for a year and a half and put 30K miles in it! he loved this car too....I'll have it till I see him again, Hopefully I'll be at least as young as he was!

Old 06-14-2011, 06:01 PM
Max
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Sod 'em I say
I'm with you............

Old 06-14-2011, 07:22 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

61 in August and my Jag makes me feel allot younger than I am.

Old 06-15-2011, 04:55 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Fifty nine for sixty nine

I'm 59 and can still have "practice" in the back seat after a nice lunch. Front seat is a challenge I must admit.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:09 AM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by lorwood
. . .when I told her how much I really spent she became upset with me for "forcing" her to drive a Civic when she could be driving one of these cars!

Ahhh Marriage!
+1!

In my case it was my bride who prompted buying our 1999 XK8 coupe seven years ago after her Acura Integra Sport was stolen and stripped. It was "her" car but I drove it more often. We replaced the coupe a year ago with an extremely low-mileage 2000 XK8 convertible a year ago because I absolutely love driving/looking at this car. And the shapely design still garners compliments from complete strangers. I still drive the XK8 more than my wife does, even though she claims it as her car.

I fell in love with the original XKE coupe when I was a lad in high school, despite growing up in the Motor City during the muscle car era. I was secretly thrilled when my wife decided she wanted an XK8 to replace her stolen Acura. And I still get a thrill driving the XK8 every day.

I'm glad that only a few of us know first-hand what the rest of the driving world is missing: the first generation XK8 is sexy, fun, powerful, more reliable than other used cars of the same vintage, and are available at bargain basement prices compared to their original cost. And it doesn't hurt that the girls still love their smooth lines (mainly because my lines are not so smooth anymore!).

Old 06-16-2011, 12:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 561 Posts

Originally Posted by lorwood
True story; BTW I am 49,

I have owned a few classic American muscle cars. My typical routine was to buy the best example of what held my interest at the time, give the car what it needed, enjoy the car for a number of years until something else grabbed my attention which would result in me selling what I owned (garage space) and pursuing the new fancy.

My last American muscle was a beautiful 66 Mustang which every one loved and my wife hated. She would complain about the "uncomfortable" seats lack of safety features wind noise etc.

One day while on a cruise she turns to me and says "You should drive a car thats more appropriate for a man of your age. This is a boys car and has no class to it" To which I replied "You know what your saying don't you? You know what kind of car you are talking about correct?" Now she is in a bit of a corner but can't really back down so she replies "I know what I am saying" So once again I ask "You know what price point we are talking about here right?" Once again she does not back down "I know and I don't care this car makes you look ridiculous!" "OK" I said "lets have it your way."

Well even though I have "permission to break the bank" I was not about to do so on a new Mercedes SL or something similar but I did start looking and thats when I found the XK8. Well its an easy car to love and truth be told it is a pleasure to drive a modern car. The day I drove it home I could instantly tell two things; One, she loved the car, she loves everything about it and truly enjoys it as much as I do. Two, At first I refused to tell her how much I spent (17K) and for a period of time I can tell she was thinking " I cannot believe he spent that kind of money that S.O.B.!"
People my age give me crap for liking cars driven typically by the liverspot crowd. At 18, I had a toy Corvette Convertible, a BMW 7-Series at 22, and a Jaguar XKR Vert at 23. I still have the Vette, 7 and XKR and I am going to add either a BMW 850i or a r129 Mercedes SL5/600 at my now 24yo age.

Most of my friends my age that care about cars are usually into stuff like WRXs, Evos, F-Bodies, W-Bodies, Mustangs(Fox Body and newer), and trucks(Chevy, Dodge and Ford, no foreign). I'm into high end imported GT cars, so I'm the oddball out.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:43 PM

I'm two days into ownership of my 1997 Coupe, and I'm two months into 48 years of age.

I've been wanting to buy a coupe like this since I worked at Automobile Magazine back in the mid-80s. My day finally came, and I'm pretty $%^&* excited about this car.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by Carolina XK8
I'm two days into ownership of my 1997 Coupe, and I'm two months into 48 years of age.

I've been wanting to buy a coupe like this since I worked at Automobile Magazine back in the mid-80s. My day finally came, and I'm pretty $%^&* excited about this car.
AND, You got the Right Color!!

Old 06-17-2011, 07:04 AM
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

I'm 33 and got my XK8 at 26, on my second XK now.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:41 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

Wish this was in a poll format, but too late now to 'add' one to the thread. The OP could setup a new one, WITH a poll, then we can close this, ask everyone to re-vote. I'd like to see the stats myself with another few months of data entry.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:08 PM
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry

I am 54 . Everthing starts to slow down...says my wife.....only the cars getting faster.

Old 06-18-2011, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by h20boy
I'd like to see the stats myself with another few months of data entry.
The stats are only part of the story. You blokes who live in the USA e.g. don't freakin' know how your bread is buttered. I "die" from the waist down when I read of guys buying XK8s for less than $10K. In Australia, the land of high import duties, "prestige car taxes" etc etc a new XK8 will start at $200K plus.
I bought my car on ebay as a writeoff wreck (AUD$12K) then I invested (?? )
over AUD$50K fixing the car. And that is with mates in "the trade". So...some of you ...count your blessings or the seagulls WILL spot your duco !!

Old 06-18-2011, 04:46 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

The age range is quite broad for these wonderful cars. I am going on 67 and loving every minute of it!

Old 06-18-2011, 11:40 PM
Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter Henery
The stats are only part of the story. You blokes who live in the USA e.g. don't freakin' know how your bread is buttered. I "die" from the waist down when I read of guys buying XK8s for less than $10K. In Australia, the land of high import duties, "prestige car taxes" etc etc a new XK8 will start at $200K plus.
I bought my car on ebay as a writeoff wreck (AUD$12K) then I invested (?? )
over AUD$50K fixing the car. And that is with mates in "the trade". So...some of you ...count your blessings or the seagulls WILL spot your duco !!
Believe me, Peter, we know how fortunate we are. I remember welcoming a new forum member from Singapore, and I was reminded that over there they pay the total price of the car A SECOND TIME just to license it. And I think they get to do that again every three years or so.

It probably won't be long until the good ol' US Government decides that Jag owners are "unfairly rich" and starts taxing the crap out of us too.

I'll enjoy it while I can.

Oh, if it makes you feel any better, a seagull thouroughly defiled my XJ8 down on the Oregon coast last week. At least he wasn't a good enough shot to hit the Leaper!

Cheers,

Quick Reply: XK Owner, What Is Your Age?