XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

XK owners not too friendly

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 11:32 AM
Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts
Default XK owners not too friendly

I was traveling from Alabama through Georgia to Florida, waved at 4 XK owners and nobody waived back. Funny thing was that all were silver convertibles with black tops, what were the chances of that?

Old 03-19-2012, 11:49 AM
Received 6,339 Likes on 5,524 Posts

It wasn't the same guy 4 times? :-)

Old 03-19-2012, 12:11 PM
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

could be a reflection!!!!!

Old 03-19-2012, 12:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 314 Posts

... or a time warp. There have been reports here of such things before!

Old 03-19-2012, 12:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,391 Likes on 2,867 Posts

In this day and age, many folks are worried about being shot on the roads. They keep to themselves in an effort to stay out of trouble. Just part of the times we all live in....

Our neighbor down the street will not wave to save her life. She's lived in this neighborhood for nearly a decade and refuses to acknowledge anyone. Lives in her own little world....

Old 03-19-2012, 12:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,978 Likes on 7,211 Posts

Originally Posted by randyb
I was traveling from Alabama through Georgia to Florida, waved at 4 XK owners and nobody waived back. Funny thing was that all were silver convertibles with black tops, what were the chances of that?

Not many Jag owners are enthusiasts, IMHO. Most just enjoy being seen in a stylish, prestige automobile. No fellowship required for that :-)

I'll wager if you compared Jag owners to MB, Audi, BMW, Corvette, Porsche, MG, Triumph, etc you'll find a much, MUCH smaller percentage of owners who belong to a Jag club, participate in Jag shows, use Jag internet forums, etc.

JCNA has, what? 6000 members? After how many decades of existence?

Cheers
DD

Old 03-19-2012, 02:14 PM
Received 78 Likes on 58 Posts

This is what I have found over the years. VW, PT Cruiser and Jeep owners all seem to do the hand wave. I have a friend with a bug and he gets the most nods. When I owned my 06 PT Cruiser it was at least half other owners. The Jeep thing was something I experienced first hand while driving a CJ years and years ago for a couple months.

I will say I have never noticed any other Jag person really doing the nod or wave. Even last week while tooling around with the top down a guy in a gold XK8 convertible turned right in front of me and even though I gave a little wave he could care less..... maybe he was worried his toupee would blow off, LOL.

Old 03-19-2012, 02:42 PM
Received 28 Likes on 12 Posts

Sorry to hear the Alabama XK guys are not friendly.

I am(to my knowledge) the only XK owner on the Mexican Riviera, and am always waving back at everyone who is waving at me. And everyone is waving, this car gets so many looks it's crazy!

So if any of you are around here and you see an XK8 it's me and I will wave back!

Old 03-19-2012, 02:51 PM
Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

I live in Dallas. Not much waving, but a lot of head-nodding and smiling.
But, that's Texas for you. Lots of friendly people.

If you want to get waved at, buy a Harley. All bikers wave at one another, especially
Harley guys.

Harley owners will stop and help Harley guys broken down on the side of the road.

I've done it dozens of times, and have been rescued by fellow Harley owners on several occasions. Harley owners are a very diverse group, but they do share a passion and respect for their machines and others who ride them.

Don't quite understand the fear of waving at someone. If you live in fear that a wave can result in violence, you have much deeper issues. But, that's just my opinion.
But, then again, I know everything. Hah!

Old 03-19-2012, 03:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 543 Likes on 404 Posts

I still remember the first time I was waved at after buying my Corvette from another Corvette owner. This was still back in the C4 days and that type of thing happened relatively often. It happened less so when the C5 came out and then the C6. As the price and prestige of ownership moved more upscale I guess waving was either an alien concept or beneath the demographics of the newer owners.

When I had just bought my XKR I think one of the first questions I posted on this forum was whether there was similar camaraderie among Jaguar owners and, in particular, XK owners. From my experience so far Jaguar owners are generally more aloof.

Doug

Old 03-19-2012, 03:44 PM
Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts

I've noticed that too. Porsche owners give a little smug nod, and Corvette owners will definitely wave back unless they are newbies with new vettes. If you drive a classic you get smiles and waves. If you drive a newer super GT car you'll probably get scoffs and jealous scorn. When I had my Porsche 930 I got a lot of "F--- you, you rich basturd" looks and driving. Truth was I got the car damaged and restored it to show winning quality (10 years old), but the reaction was the same. Porsche "purists" (as if there is anything to be "purist" about) always ...and I mean ALWAYS...questioned me about my Euro style front fenders with the sidelights. They all wanted to stick their noses in the air and say it was "gray market". I have never ahd anything but very complementary comments about the Jag...even out in places like Tonopah.

Hosted on Fotki

Last edited by oldjaglover; 03-19-2012 at 03:46 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 03:52 PM
Received 240 Likes on 160 Posts

I got quite a few waves while driving this, this morning:

Old 03-19-2012, 03:56 PM
Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Beav
I got quite a few waves while driving this, this morning:

HaHa. Is that for rescuing people or cars?

Old 03-19-2012, 05:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Looks like a Hazmat cleanup vehicle, or maybe bomb disposal.

Old 03-19-2012, 06:35 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not friendly? F*** you!

J/K. Waving is for motorcyclists, mini and VW Beetle owners. The rest of us are too busy driving...

Old 03-19-2012, 06:52 PM
Received 126 Likes on 110 Posts

Personally, I'd wave back to anyone who waved to me, even if they were driving a Gremlin.

Life is too short to spend it being an a******.

The following users liked this post:
Mexk8 (03-21-2012)
Old 03-19-2012, 06:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

I live in a mostly rural area peppered with small towns and the occasional larger town and am constantly waved at. There are a ton of people who know me, or know of me that wave and there are tons of people who either like the car or wave at everyone. I've had people insulted that I didn't wave back (I either didn't see them or the sun reflected so I didn't notice the wave). But I try to wave at everyone. I especially make an effort to wave at the police since I'm running with no front plate and sometimes drive a bit spirited. You never know when having a nice wave will get you from a ticket to a warning

Old 03-19-2012, 09:06 PM
Received 52 Likes on 48 Posts

I'll keep waving to other jag drivers, most of them wave back. You know up here in Canada we are a friendly bunch..Eh.
Alfred

Old 03-20-2012, 09:14 AM
Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by dennisw
could be a reflection!!!!!
No, mine is Titanium Pearl.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:20 AM
dx3
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by edtexas
I live in Dallas. Not much waving, but a lot of head-nodding and smiling.
But, that's Texas for you. Lots of friendly people.

If you want to get waved at, buy a Harley. All bikers wave at one another, especially
Harley guys.

Harley owners will stop and help Harley guys broken down on the side of the road.

I've done it dozens of times, and have been rescued by fellow Harley owners on several occasions. Harley owners are a very diverse group, but they do share a passion and respect for their machines and others who ride them.

!
I just wish Harley owners wouldn't be so stuck up as to not wave at Sportsbikes... but I'll leave that one for another day Just joking... kind of

Jonny

Quick Reply: XK owners not too friendly